Wiggins leaves Garmin, Joins Sky for 2010-it's official!

dave_1
dave_1 Posts: 9,512
edited December 2009 in Pro race
Reported in cyclingnews.com and by others outwith that site in the know

good for sky, glad he will leave Garmin

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sky-exp ... ning-today

Comments

• So, yet again, L'Equipe were right all along...
  • pictit
    pictit Posts: 603
    Great,briliant in fact but I am surprised.Very surprised.In reality,and if circumstances were favouirable,I could have seen him perhaps getting a 3rd place in a Tour with an established team.But Sky ?.Ok,I dont know too much about it but surely if he had ambitions to podium in Paris/Rome/Madrid this is a backward step for him personally at 29 ?.As I say,great for the younger riders in team Sky,a big morale boost but.... ?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    So, yet again, L'Equipe were right all along...

The Daily Mail reported it months ago too.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Hopefully everyone is happy. Brailsford gets his entry ticket to the Tour, Vaughters gets his cheque and Wiggins his pay packet.

Sky will still have to prove themselves to ASO. Wiggins was fourth in July but a stealthy fourth. If you can come fourth by stealth, that is. What I mean is that he didn't launch long range attacks and so he doesn't guarantee the spectacle that Prudhomme craves. Expect Sky to target Paris-Nice, with EBH and Lovkwist is being told to win stages and the GC.
  • iainf72 wrote:

So, a real argument that L'Equipe isn't a credible source. Don't give the fanboys any more ammunition! :P

Obviously, with access to AL's rice cakes removed, Garmin don't see him as a big GC prospect.
    I hope Sky get their money's worth.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • AL didn't sort out the diet that wiggins followed and none of the garmin support was really used by Brad who used his BC support team. Nice that BC will be paying for the support team for Sky though, some people making alot of money out of this arrangement; Gravy Train anyone???
  • iainf72 wrote:

its where I get all my cycling/immigration news
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    How long before Wiggins starts twittering that he's opened contract negotiations with Vacansoleil for 2011?

I'll give it a fortnight.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    So what can do Garmin with that substantial amount of cash? It's not like they have a guaranteed TdF entry with just Farrar and Vandevelde....
  • FJS wrote:
    So what can do Garmin with that substantial amount of cash? It's not like they have a guaranteed TdF entry with just Farrar and Vandevelde....

well they could invest in a proper doping program?
  • iainf72
    FJS wrote:

Why not? They're as good as Sky, if not better.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    The only thing official is there's a press conference.

They'll probably be unveiling the new kit ...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Garmin will now magically unveil Contador as their new rider :o
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Garmin will now magically unveil Contador as their new rider :o

Contador was training yesterday in Pisa with the rest of the Astana team. I doubt that will happen.

And I don’t think Garmin is such a step-up for Contador seeing as he has got Vinokurov and Pereiro there.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    The only thing official is there's a press conference.

They'll probably be unveiling the new kit ...

Agreed. Everyone in the press is gonna look pretty stupid if it DOES just turn out to be them revealing new kit. And saying that they didn't manage to sign either Brad or Swift!

(While I suspect they WILL be revealing Wiggins - we've been down this road before, So until I hear it from Dave B's mouth - I won't believe it!)
  • iainf72
    just confirmed on Sky news
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Cycling Plus on Twitter have just announced that it is official. Wiggins to Sky for 2010. Presumably they're at the announcement.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,584
    just confirmed on 5live
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    OK. NOW I believe it!
  • The official confirmation press release just arrived... but c'mon - do you think we run stories like this if we don't have very very reliable sources?
    John Stevenson
  • iainf72
    Did they sign him for more than a year?

Not that those kind of pesky things really matter...
  • I won't believe it, until Dennis announces it's official. :wink:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,481
    iainf72 wrote:
    Did they sign him for more than a year?

Not that those kind of pesky things really matter...

Four year deal apparently. Vacansoleil will need to dig deep to sign him next year. :wink:
  • Sky Sports News will have the press conference live in a few minutes.
  • iainf72
    Reasonable write up on it

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/20 ... y-transfer?

I do take issue with it being some kind of super exciting team though. BMC are far more interesting. But they're not "new" really.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Blimey I thought the dust had settled on this one!! I'm pleased for the bloke and Sky, shame for Garmin though, but that's sport I guess.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Right, now that's all over, is it too early to start the "Cavendish to Sky" transfer saga?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    RichN95 wrote:
    Right, now that's all over, is it too early to start the "Cavendish to Sky" transfer saga?

ifjknjkj0kfjh09 9045ior 43h4890klruyeeyc
    kertutyiyertyqt
    jrgj

Sorry - I just suddenly had a partial collapse of the will to live and fell face-first into the keyboard.

I don't really care if Cav goes to Sky or not - I just hope its handled a little more professionally. All that was missing over the past few months was an appearance from Eric Hall.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • iainf72
    LangerDan wrote:

I don't really care if Cav goes to Sky or not - I just hope its handled a little more professionally. All that was missing over the past few months was an appearance from Eric Hall.

Rather comedically, I think Wiggins said something about Sky being the most professional team during the press conference.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    RichN95 wrote:
    :lol: Yes