6'4" Commuter's club

Comments

• Matt.K
    Matt.K Posts: 105
    I thought full length shorts were called trousers? :wink:

Ah well, I feel normal with my 6'2" and size 12's now.
    No problem buying clothes and shoes for me! :)
  • tjwood
    tjwood Posts: 328
    Waddlie wrote:
    Count me in, I'm 6'4"!

Riding a 21" Specialized Rockhopper.

Usually wear 3/4 length baggies.

Only size 12 feet.

And being this tall is useful for seeing over car roofs!

Snap!

Though I find 3/4 length shorts are 5/8 length at best. Some barely cover my knees.

Also found getting overshoes that fit over size 12 trainers (I use flat pedals) a bit of a challenge. I have some Pro ones in size XXXL but they're still a little to small really.
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    prj45 wrote:
    BentMikey wrote:
    There can't be much oxygen up there, why do you think I ride a low flying lounger?

You sure there's much oxygen down there along with the tailpipes?

LOL, good response! I don't notice unless I'm right behind a bus or other large-engined vehicle.
  • lsop
    lsop Posts: 10
    6'4.5" here and have a Boardman Hybrid Team in large!!

I've just posted a thread about shoes as i wear a 13 / 48!!

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12667850
  • BigSte27
    BigSte27 Posts: 25
    6ft 4" and 20stone! Currently doing 35miles a day commute atleast 3 times a week in my quest to lose yet more weight and hopefully join the police force.

My current commuting beast is a 22" Kona Hoss with 1.5 slicks fitted. However ive found i LOVE riding on roads and so am looking at purchasing a proper road bike in the not sop distant future and going faster! (doing about 15.5mph average on my commute and spinning out quite a bit in places) Possibly a Trek 1.5 in some gargantuan size! :)
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    Leg warmers are the solution to covering longer legs.
  • 6'4" or 194cm. 90kg. Some how motorists still don't see me.

I commute on two bikes, a 2008 Trek 1.7 in size 60 and a 2007 Shogun Mach 2 in extra large. The Shogun is a flat bar road bike for those unfamiliar with the brand. Both always get commented on for their size. I don't what people expect me to ride.

My first bike was a Raleigh, but I am not sure I could ride the BMX now without kneeing myself in the face.

I have tried a few different shorts, but found Ground Effect (groundeffect.co.nz) the best so far. Their montezumas 3/4 knicks are fantastic for (Australian) winters. Bought a pair of the ringleaders bibshorts recently, and if anything they are too long in the body. Very comfortable. Prefer

I have size 46 Shimano R160s with SPD-SLs.

Have recently moved to a Thomson seatpost on the Trek after splitting the carbon post that came with it.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I'm 6'3" and wear size 9 shoes.... People make comments like "don't you always fall over?" etc and the answer is no... Size 9 shoes are easy to get usually. I ride a 61cm Focus Cayo on club rides and a much smaller framed steel 531c bike with a long seat tube for the commute.

As for buying tights and shorts, it's not really a problem coz my torso is slightly disproportionately large and my legs relatively short. I was told at hospital that my lungs are 20% larger than average, they couldn't fit them all on one X ray screen and had to take to shots to get them all in - I've got a long chest! Shorts and tights are not a problem but I find shirts and jackets etc are often quite short and the sleeves are often be too short
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Argghhhh THERE BE GIANTS...

I'm not even 6ft <sniffle> but I do take size 46 cycling shoes. Clown feet.
  • londonlivvy
    londonlivvy Posts: 644
    IP, that's not clown feet. I know a dude with size 54 feet. Comic.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563

Size 54? What's that in real money? My brother has size 13 or 48 feet. His GF can fit both her feet in his shoes in line.
  • SPOODZILLA
    SPOODZILLA Posts: 128
    6'4" here :mrgreen:

Think I ride a 2006 Trek 1500 (bought 2nd hand), but its spec & colour doesnt match treks archive (dark met grey & red, ultegra groupset). Frame size 63cm, but struggling to get comfy so possibly a bit big? Standard seatpost was too short so replaced. Think i'm over-reaching but shorter stem (90mm instead of 130mm) doesn't help my back :-(

Pub bike = 21" Trek 7100 fx. Quite a few battle scars from riding into walls/hedges/lamposts on return from pub.

Shoes - size 47 Lake's, came with the bike! Tad small when i've got x2 pairs of waterpoof socks on :-)

Gloves- Aldi :oops: winter gloves (XL) with pair of fleece gloves underneath.

Clothing - cheap fleece lined jacket, Altura Night Vision Bib Tights, size L - mmm, tight tights!!
    Road: 2006 Trek 1500
    Off: 2009 Carrera Fury

I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    I'm 6'4'', ride a Specialized Tricross Sport (61cm size) and wear Assos bib shorts and tights (TIR, because I'm fat as well as tall).

Have flat pedals but hoping to go clipless later this year. Size 13 feet.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I've created a tall stats league as well
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • IP, that's not clown feet. I know a dude with size 54 feet. Comic.

Size 54? What's that in real money? My brother has size 13 or 48 feet. His GF can fit both her feet in his shoes in line.

Isn't there some old yarn about big feet being an indication of something... :wink:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    Greg66 wrote:

Isn't there some old yarn about big feet being an indication of something... :wink:

big shoes?
  • BigSte27
    BigSte27 Posts: 25
    Big socks!

I wear 51 Mega Wide Sidi's btw :P
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    6' 4" size 12 SPD's and several kgs :wink:

Commuting on a 21.5 Trek 6700 which looks like a Brompton :lol:
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I'm 6'3"

Er, that's all you needed to say really, this being the 6'4" and over cycling commuter's club.
  • dvdfoz
    dvdfoz Posts: 62
    I take it you giants need to ride round on something like this then,

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/g ... =359970427
    Dalston --> Canary Wharf, and all pubs inbetween
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    Don't be stupid, why would I ride something like that?

It's got flat handlebars FFS ;)
  • I have recently broken a spoke on my road bike rear wheel on consecutive rides. Each time I was lucky that I was near home or a train station, so no long walks home.

When I put the wheel in for repair the second time, the guy suggested that maybe a 24 spoke rear wheel with an unusual spoke pattern (Bontrager SSR) wasn't the best for somebody who is 6'4" and 90kg. I had thought the same thing myself but there are so few ready-made alternatives with more spokes and I have been commuting on Shimano WH-R500s (also 24 spokes) for so long with out any problems so wasn't convinced of the need for more spokes until recently.

I have found two ready-made options on the market - American Classic Victorys and Easton EA70s.

Do any of my fellow 6'4" commuters have suggestions? I would set up a new thread just on wheels, but would in all likelihood just get some 6' weigh-nothing, shorty telling me to buy ZIPP something or others.

As a side note, the spokes started breaking after I replaced the stock carbon seatpost with a Thomson elite. I wonder whether there is a correlation or if this is just coincidence.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    once one goes more will follow...

hand built wheels are the business Mavic cx33 rims are solid as a rock
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Clever Pun wrote:
    once one goes more will follow...

hand built wheels are the business Mavic cx33 rims are solid as a rock

Yup, I've settled on hand built Mavics. Had loads of trouble with them before with the rims cracking at the spoke holes but Mavic seemed to have sorted that now. Had two Mavic rims on there for over a year now, no sign of cracking up (just the occasional true required), and that's 22 stone of me doing over 100 miles a week on them.
  • King Donut
    King Donut Posts: 498
    @ irideredthebike
    I'm v.similar weight / height and had that problem with the same wheelset. Then in January the rim cracked clean through. Not sure if it's down to the lack of spokes or just the quality of the wheelset in all honesty as there seem to be plenty of reported problems.

Got mine replaced under warranty (I think the Trek/Bontrager warranty on wheels has been upped recently to 5 years) so I'll see how long this one lasts.

You'll get plenty of +1's for handbuilts but I didn't have time to investigate/wait. I picked up some Fulcrum 3's for £350 to tie me over which have lots of positive reviews from heavier riders. Only used them for a month on the commute before replacements arrived from Bonty.
  • yendor65
    yendor65 Posts: 8
    6.5, 14st 9 size 12 - riding 22" Transeo 3 and 60miles a week.
    3/4 length shorts
    cheap dusty t-shirts
    gloves are the problem for me, long thin fingers.
    Transeo 3.0, 23.4"
  • tallone
    tallone Posts: 1
    Seems like a good place to start posting...

6'8", 14st, size 49 SPDs. 3/4 shorts are around 1/2 on me. I share yendor's glove problem too.

My workhorse is a Mongoose Crossway 850 in XL (approx 10" of seatpost) with a nice recumbent to give my back a rest at weekends.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    tallone wrote:
    Seems like a good place to start posting...

6'8", 14st, size 49 SPDs. 3/4 shorts are around 1/2 on me. I share yendor's glove problem too.

My workhorse is a Mongoose Crossway 850 in XL (approx 10" of seatpost) with a nice recumbent to give my back a rest at weekends.

:shock:

You are over a foot taller than me.

That's, like, proper tall...
  • CdrJake
    CdrJake Posts: 296
    6'3 (and a bit) size 13 feet. Bib tights are simply a no go with my leg length as they pinch in places you really don't want them to pinch. :shock:

I make to with cycle shorts for most of the year and if it gets a little chilly then I break out the leg warmers. Cheap t-shirt on top with RN hoodie if needed. The uniform stays in the office for ease.

Commuting bike, a Kona Jake The Snake and for around the base a Brompton, total mileage just for my commutes is around 80 miles a week.
    twitter: @JakeM1969
  • CdrJake
    CdrJake Posts: 296
    Greg66 wrote:

As Phil Jupitus said on QI: 'That was a rumour set about by clowns' :lol:
    twitter: @JakeM1969