Bars: Cannondale Fire? 255g
Stem: Cannondale standard?
Headset: FSA
Bar Tape: standard.

Shifters: Shimano 105
Cables: bog standard.
Front Mech: Shimano 105 (34.1)
Rear Mech: Shimano 105
Brakes: Shimano 105 (Koolstop Salmon pads)

Seat: Selle Italia Max Flite Genuine Gel Saddle
Seat Post: FSA, no setback, (27.2)

Chainset: Shimano R700
Chain: Shimano 105
Cassette: Shimano 105 12-27 (10spd)
Pedals: Shimano 105
Bottom Bracket: FC6600 Hollowtech 2.

Wheels: Shimano R550
Tyres: Michelin Krylion Carbon (Yellow) – my fav tyres for all year round.

Accessories:
Pump
Garmin Edge 605
HRM

Weight: Fully loaded with saddle bag, gpd, 2 bottles (full), mars bars etc.. 26lb

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    That's a cop-out on the weight! What does it really weigh? You might as well have said what it ways when you're sitting on it! ;)
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    MatHammond wrote:
    That's a cop-out on the weight! What does it really weigh? You might as well have said what it ways when you're sitting on it! ;)

When I weight it again I'll put the weight unloaded, I'm guessing around 18-19lb, we'll see.
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    I like how the blue insulation tape matches the sheets.

How do you find the krylions? I'm finding them a bit crap.
  • freehub
    Infamous wrote:
    I like how the blue insulation tape matches the sheets.

How do you find the krylions? I'm finding them a bit crap.

Yes indeed, my Krylions seem to be wearing quick, plenty of punctures, quality control issue surely, my last crylions lasted 3500miles before they worn and had no punctures at all.

I had 2 punctures in the past 2 or 3 weeks, both the same thing, one on rear one on front, chunk of glass, well actually a rather small piece, pieced the whole thing, I had another puncture 1 mile after repairing it due to not finding the piece of glass. Couple of months back I had what I thought was a pinch flat turned out to be a thorn or something.

Krylions where going to be my tyre of choice for when I change tyres next, but I don't know now, I'm probably going to give my Open Corsa's a fair run and then be on the look out for a decent tyre like what my old krylions where like.

I might have to try Pro 3's.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    Didn't need to see that!

Just ordered something else, but it was bloody close!
  • Infamous
    freehub wrote:
    Yes indeed, my Krylions seem to be wearing quick, plenty of punctures, quality control issue surely, my last crylions lasted 3500miles before they worn and had no punctures at all.

I had 2 punctures in the past 2 or 3 weeks, both the same thing, one on rear one on front, chunk of glass, well actually a rather small piece, pieced the whole thing, I had another puncture 1 mile after repairing it due to not finding the piece of glass. Couple of months back I had what I thought was a pinch flat turned out to be a thorn or something.

Krylions where going to be my tyre of choice for when I change tyres next, but I don't know now, I'm probably going to give my Open Corsa's a fair run and then be on the look out for a decent tyre like what my old krylions where like.

Very similar to my experience with them, had 3 thorns get through 3 different krylions and after only about 1000 miles my current ones are badly cut.

Open corsas and Pro Race 3 are race tyres, you'd be lucky to get 1000 miles out of them. Armadillos are very good for puncture protection, but quality control on them is pretty poor for £30 tyres. My next training tyres will be Maxxis Refuse, cost less than £20 and are pretty decent.
  • freehub
    edited December 2009
    matthew h wrote:
    Didn't need to see that!

Just ordered something else, but it was bloody close!

? You where goign to order Krylions?

If you ever come across any that have been in a shop for ages, like a year, I reckon they're good, since the ones I got in feb where awesome.
    Infamous wrote:
    freehub wrote:

Very similar to my experience with them, had 3 thorns get through 3 different krylions and after only about 1000 miles my current ones are badly cut.

Open corsas and Pro Race 3 are race tyres, you'd be lucky to get 1000 miles out of them. Armadillos are very good for puncture protection, but quality control on them is pretty poor for £30 tyres. My next training tyres will be Maxxis Refuse, cost less than £20 and are pretty decent.

What are they like in comparison? Rolling resistance and all that.
  • tlw1
    Not the tyres the bike
  • freehub
    matthew h wrote:
    Not the tyres the bike

Oh, why did you not need to see that?

Are you glad, not glad you never got a CAAD9?
  • Infamous
    freehub wrote:
    A very grippy tyre, built for training on so probably rubbish RR. Last long, don't puncture and good value. I can't wait for my krylions to wear out so that I can get some.
  • tlw1
    love the look of the CAAD and it was a replacement for a crashed CAAD (much older), it was a last second decision to go for a different bike as I am holding a grudge against CAADs for trying to kill me!
  • freehub
    Infamous wrote:
    freehub wrote:
    A very grippy tyre, built for training on so probably rubbish RR. Last long, don't puncture and good value. I can't wait for my krylions to wear out so that I can get some.

Krylions have good rolling resistance I think, going by past tyres I've had, and they where good winter training tyres, so I'd be looking for ones with good rolling resistance.
    matthew h wrote:
    love the look of the CAAD and it was a replacement for a crashed CAAD (much older), it was a last second decision to go for a different bike as I am holding a grudge against CAADs for trying to kill me!

How did you crash it? I'd hardly hold a grudge on a bike model due to a crash :P
  • Infamous
    freehub wrote:
    Krylions have good rolling resistance I think, going by past tyres I've had, and they where good winter training tyres, so I'd be looking for ones with good rolling resistance.
    You don't need good RR in december.
  • tlw1
    freehub wrote:
    matthew h wrote:

How did you crash it? I'd hardly hold a grudge on a bike model due to a crash :P

Was my fault, done 70 miles to sister in laws at speed and then relaxed for last 5 & the coat I had then tied to the bars came loose & locked into the wheels and sent me off - result:

http://www.pbase.com/bentleyboys/image/118088479

Your bike looks fantastic.

The grudge continues though (see updated signiture)
  • freehub
    Infamous wrote:
    freehub wrote:

I understand that, but I certianly don't want to donwgrade, and unlike most people, I don't like to make things harder in the winter.
    matthew h wrote:
    freehub wrote:
    matthew h wrote:

Was my fault, done 70 miles to sister in laws at speed and then relaxed for last 5 & the coat I had then tied to the bars came loose & locked into the wheels and sent me off - result:

http://www.pbase.com/bentleyboys/image/118088479

Your bike looks fantastic.

The grudge continues though (see updated signiture)

Ouch, looks pretty bad! I'm sure you'll get over the grudge :p
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Infamous wrote:
    freehub wrote:

Poor RR will affect his average speed though.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • freehub
    Infamous wrote:
    freehub wrote:

Poor RR will affect his average speed though.

Indeed, I don't want to hinder my performance by downgrades, I might just stick to krylions, I think they might deserve another chance, they where ok today, slipping abit like.

I love pedal powered speed.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Best bike posted so far.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • freehub
    DSC00096.jpg

I cleaned it, looks all shiny. Looking at it, feels like a new bike can't wait for winter to p155 off.

Jessica alba clearly likes it :lol:
  • Is that hob on, Will? :shock:
  • freehub
    Goodbye Krylions, hello Vittoria Rubino Pro 3.

DSC00118.jpg
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    White Line wrote:
    Is that hob on, Will? :shock:

lol my wife would kill me if I put my bike on the kitchen worktop :lol:

The more I look at your bike Will, the more I want one! Looks like a proper bike, one you can ride.

You seem to have flipped the stem though, Is that because the geometry is otherwise too low at the front? My winter bike is very low, too low really and I wouldn't want to compromise comfort that much on longer distance summer rides.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • freehub
    Carl_P wrote:
    White Line wrote:

The more I look at your bike Will, the more I want one! Looks like a proper bike, one you can ride.

You seem to have flipped the stem though, Is that because the geometry is otherwise too low at the front? My winter bike is very low, too low really and I wouldn't want to compromise comfort that much on longer distance summer rides.

Any lower and my back is on fire with pain, perhaps if I did some stretching and that I could flip it back though. I just don't want it to effect my knees if it can, like my back at an angle that is causing me grief could be effecting the muscles and all that connected to the back/hips causing my knee to screw up.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    freehub wrote:
    Carl_P wrote:
    White Line wrote:

Any lower and my back is on fire with pain, perhaps if I did some stretching and that I could flip it back though. I just don't want it to effect my knees if it can, like my back at an angle that is causing me grief could be effecting the muscles and all that connected to the back/hips causing my knee to screw up.

Possibly, but pre exercise stretching could even make it worse unless you are properly warmed up.

Still, a lovely bike. Have been doing some research on here tonight and clearly the CAAD9 is highly regarded - classic status really. A serious contender for my next bike. Not sure if the geometry/ride is for a middle aged bloke like myself, but if I didn't like it I'm sure I wouldn't have a problem selling it on and probably wouldn't lose much money either.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • freehub
    How do you think the bike would look with red bar tape? Or should it be left black?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    White with white Flite or leave as is...
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    freehub wrote:
    How do you think the bike would look with red bar tape? Or should it be left black?

I tend to match tape to tyres, but Red will be along in a minute to tell you it should always match the saddle. :wink:
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • freehub
    Yeh, he said that on MSN.

Why exactly should it match the saddle?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It would look awesome with Vittoria Paves on as well as a white tape/saddle combo...

img_0968.jpg
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    freehub wrote:
    Why exactly should it match the saddle?

no reason - fit whatever colour bar tape you want, and ignore the fashion nazis.....