More than 1 bike???

Comments

• andy46 wrote:
    i have 2 but i think i'll be getting a road bike next year
    +1 or maybe a long travel steel hardtail or perhaps a short travel full suss marathon bike, or maybe ... ... ... soooooo many choices.

How was it that I ever managed for so long with one humble HT that took me on local natural trails and onto my first Black run forays. Now I am spoilt ... but its fun!

Kai
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    n + 1

All very well for us, but when the other halfs desired number of bikes is n-n there is a conflict. ie n + 1 does not equal n - n. Actaully my other half isn't too bad but she is still not going to budge from n - 1 so the long-travel hardtail I want to add is going to have to lead to the demise of 2 bikes so that n + 1 - 2 = what my wife wants. Luckily the two bikes at the back of the shed are an ancient rigid Trek 930 that is uncomfortable to sit on let alone ride and rather sadly my old short-travel Orange P7 ( though it has to be said the 80mm forks aren't really able to cope very well these days).
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    n + 1 does not equal n - n.

actually...
    if n = -1
    -1 + 1 = -1 - -1
    0 = 0

all you need to do is manage a negative bike and you're sorted! :wink:
    as for how you achieve that, suggestions on the back of a postcard
    sorry...

anyhoo, I think two or three sufficiently different mtbs is probably enough. get more by all means, but I doubt there'll be time to enjoy them all properly. of course, on top of that, you need a pub bike, a road bike, a commuting bike. i'd also quite like a tourer, a trials bike (purely on the grounds that if i get one i should be able to ride like macaskill), and there's always the prospect of a build out of the spare parts lying around. and of course, as you have more bikes, you have more spare parts....
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • I have 2 bikes, a light fast XC bike (Giant Trance) for trail centres, light all day rides and also a Freeride bike (Spec' SX Trail) for when i wanna have a play in the woods, attempt some Downhill or just for big, rough rides in national parks.

Still want more bikes though....
    Yorkshire Man living in Somerset
    http://twitter.com/Mattharperbikin
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    I only have one bike and it is really lonely. I just don;t have the space at the moment, I need to get rid of an old motorbike to free up sme garage space. I really want a little stret/jump/4x style hardtail for messing about on.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I just like fannying around with bikes, and one doesn't give enough opportunity for fannying around. Having said that, I went and built another one and I don't ride it at all. And I'm thinking of building a rigid which I also won't ride.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • DamonC
    DamonC Posts: 263
    Only just back into MTBing after 12 years when suspension was only just making its way into the scene so when buying I went for a hardtail being a bit old skool. It's been great over the last few weeks and I love my 2010 Trek 8000.

I must admit having spent a few days at Coed Llandegla and watching the DirtSchool DVD I think a suspension bike will find its way into my collection.

I am thinking an All Mountain type like a Cannondale RZ One Forty for trail centres and more descent stuff and my Trek 8000 for more open XC mountain rides.
    Suffering from the light bike fat git syndrome.
  • Wololo
    Wololo Posts: 36
    DamonC wrote:
    I must admit having spent a few days at Coed Llandegla and watching the DirtSchool DVD I think a suspension bike will find its way into my collection.

I am thinking an All Mountain type like a Cannondale RZ One Forty for trail centres and more descent stuff and my Trek 8000 for more open XC mountain rides.

IMO Coed Llandegla is the absolute last place you need a 140mm Full susser. I've been there a number of times, and the most enjoyable ride I had around the place was on a Kona Hoss I rented because my rear shock had packed up on me half way into a 5 day riding trip. Other trail centres, sure, but Llandegla is a BMX track :)

I think everyone should have a basic short travel hardtail knocking around somewhere. Something cheap, with Deore level components and a basic fork. Usually you'll choose to ride whatever else you have in the shed, but once in a while you'll take out the cheap hardtail and I guarantee you'll come back thinking "why don't I ride that bike more?"
  • DamonC
    DamonC Posts: 263
    I will ride more than Llan ;)
    Suffering from the light bike fat git syndrome.
  • Wololo
    I figured you would, but it just seems an unlikely place to have the "I need a full susser" epiphany.
  • Northwind
    I dunno, my mate had his at Glentress. Not because it's so extreme but because bits of the black are just lumpy and uncomfortable at the best of times, and he has a Chameleon :lol: So he got a sofa.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I'm currently on 5, the 6th will be picked up soon.

Long travel steel hardtail 456
    steel singlespeed xc inbred
    fixed gear cyclocross bike pompino
    singlespeed jump bike scott voltage
    singlespeed rat bike POS

I'm getting a nice old steel orbea geared road bike, and probable a cf FS scott bike in the summer.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    Not clever enough to operate gears? :lol:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Hehe, I was thinking something similar!
  • oh no, i can work gears fine, i'm just tight. And keeping 6 sets of gears working would be a pain!
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    brandfreak wrote:
    But I have found myself recently hankering after a hardtail...But I'm also concerned that if I decide to buy a hardtail I will use it only infrequently and it will sit in the garage gathering dust.
    I sold my 01 Nail Trail earlier this year. Hardtails are history.
  • Wololo
    .blitz wrote:
    brandfreak wrote:
    Hardtails are history.

LIES!
  • RobGT
    RobGT Posts: 132
    Boardman Comp FS
    Rigid Single Speed On one Inbred

Will be doing a frame change to a On One 456 from the Boardman next year.
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    I've had 3 bikes ... soon to be 4

Leways BMX which I don't have any more

Raleigh Alaska - steel frame - that my Grandparents bought me so it has sentimentel Value for me ....Carrera Absolute and will have another Carrera [FURY ] once I've paid it off
  • Vegman
    Vegman Posts: 35
    Bikes are a bit like Gerbils...chances are the second one you get is the opposite sex to the one you already have. And then there are many! 8)
    A bike..in my garage.....I MUST tinker.
  • Vegman
    PS. At last count including, the wifes, 10 with another on the way for Christmas(for her). :?
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,097
    DamonC wrote:
    I will ride more than Llan ;)

does he know? :lol:
  • My collection is now upto 3, after a spending spree last week:-

Felt F5C 2006 [bought in March 2007 new for bargain price of £900; rrp £1300]...
    Fitting a 100mm 40 degree On-One stem after Santa "officially" delivers it, rasing the bars by ~4cm, making the bike rideable again without aggrivating my July 2008 lumbar muscle back injury.
    Got some Mr Crud race mudguards to fit/ replace some SKS Raceblades, which will protect the calipers, rather than throw all the junk at the current default Super SLR ones. Which then means, after ~18 months bar 5 days commuting, I can finally fit...
    My Bontrager Speed Limit calipers, without worrying about tham being "sandblasted" in Southampton roads crud!

Saracen Pylon 8 [bought March 2009 new for bargaintastic £300; rrp £650]...
    Amazed to get an Alfine hub geared bike so cheaply! Its a bit heavy (~14Kg), with various bits fitted/upgraded:-
    Time ATAC ROC S pedals
    Kooka Race 100mm stem
    Modolo Dumbo butterfly bars
    1.75" Marathon Plus
    Rainbow Racer
    Electron 5+10w halogen lightset
    Smart 0.5w superflash
    2x Crops MX-1 rears
    2x Spokelit sideways lighting
    ~15 spoke beads on front :oops: (des give some sutle announcement of my proximity at slow speed)

Would really like to convert this one to an XC bike, fitting a suspension fork. For a while I was tempted by the Reba Team on offer at On-One (£250), but now thinking I might do something like the Tora SL from WoolyHatShop for £120 instead.
    Due to its bright orange frame, plus the Alfine kit, I was very wary about leaving this exposed at work, so I have bought a new steed a week ago for commuting...

Specialized Tricross Singlecross [bought for £350; rrp £500]...
    Very light for the cash, feels almost as light as my carbon F5C beauty! Consequently, the 63 gear inch ratio is working out well, hoping to get a fixed gear installed on the flip side during the free service at my local Hargroves.
    The front end is nice and relaxed, with the drops on the bars set higher than the current setup on the F5C.
    Currently awaiting an Abus Granit-X, before sorting out insurance and then using it regularly for work (plus transferring some lights from the Pylon8 to it, although I will probably fit the Crops NRX-35 instead, not to mention changing the tyre to something like the set of 25mm Stelvio Plus) :D
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Wololo
    Vegman wrote:
    PS. At last count including, the wifes, 10 with another on the way for Christmas(for her). :?

I read that as "At last count, including the wife, 10"

I lol'd.
  • Vegman
    Wololo wrote:
    Vegman wrote:

I read that as "At last count, including the wife, 10"

I lol'd.
    :wink:
  • I was thinking for my hardtail purchase
    - Boardman Pro
    - Raleigh M-Trax 4.0 HT
    - Whyte 901

What do you all think???
  • Northwind
    I was really disappointed with the Mtrax, it felt like a cheap, slightly outdated bike with nice parts bolted to it. I rode it the same day as I tested a Soul and it felt embarassing in comparison. Which was odd, as other people really rate it but I've had more satisfying rides on £500 bikes.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • have two for very different jobs

Road

and

Offroad

Bring on the full suss :shock:
  • bells0
    bells0 Posts: 414
    3 here as my sig. Trek Fuel EX8 for the trails. Specialized P1 for the jumps and an Iron Horse Sunday for the gravity fed stuff!

CAn't justify anymore, and my garage has no wall space either with the girlfriends trail bike up there too!
  • Bells0, that Iron Horse should be in the 'black with gold bling' thread 8)
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe