More than 1 bike???

brandfreak
brandfreak Posts: 137
edited December 2009 in MTB general
Hi all,

You know untill recently I would have said straight away "You don't need more than one bike. My Trek Fuel Ex does it all."
But I have found myself recently hankering after a hardtail, I have come up with various "reasons" why :-
I want to use skill and not just suspension travel
I want to "feel" the trail not flatten it
and many other derivatives. But. I'm also concerned that if I decide to buy a hardtail I will use it only infrequently and it will sit in the garage gathering dust. Considering I would be looking at around the £1000 mark (Whyte's new 901 looks good) it's alot of bike to become an ornament.

What do you lot think

Comments

• solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    You poor soul :( you only have one bike. Go out today and amend your ways and buy another. You are currently missing out on a hard tail, single speed, 29er, downhiller and you need a road bike :D

Your life will then be complete and a happy one.

Seriously though if you are to buy another bike, I would go for something totally different to the trek, like a springy steel orange of some description, especially if you really want to get some connection with the track you are riding. :)

cheers,
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,097
    couldn't agree more - different bikes for different situations
  • lm_trek
    lm_trek Posts: 1,470
    Yep, different bikes for different conditions.

I run a short travel full bouncer for every day trails and i have a 140mm hardtail for those big fun days!

My next bike is going to be a road/urban for the commute then im hoping for a bigger travel bouncer!
  • fcumok
    fcumok Posts: 283
    I have a hardtail and a full susser and ride them equally. I do find that it takes a couple of rides for me to get 'tuned in' to the other bike. I'm now trying to stop myself from buying an On One Summer Season to add to my collection. Can never have too many bikes :lol:
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    i have a cove hummer and demo9 .
    that covers the broadest spectrum for me in mtb :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    we all like to think that one bike will do everything and to be fair, pretty much all riding can be done on all bikes.

however, in my humble opinion, why have one bike to do everything in an ok-ish fashion when you can have many bikes to show off with err i mean sometimes its nice to have a bike more suited to different terrain which performs commensurate with the terrain it is being ridden on.

t'other thing is, sometmes there needs to be no other reason for a new bike than "i just feel like having a new bike"
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Too many bikes is never enough.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • ONE bike? Are you nuts? Since when is one of *any* good thing enough????

So far, 4 bikes, plus another one in the project build stage. And a box full of bits and pieces just waiting for a couple more frames to walk through the door looking for a good home.

- Pinarello Paris Carbon / Record, a fabulous race gadget
    - Fondriest Top Level / Chorus Flat Bar, custom paint, the ultimate cafe racer
    - Principia RSL / Dura Ace Flat Bar, super fast and light fun bike
    - Old but lovely Specialized Allez Team steel frame, being rebuilt with Campag road triple gearing, a delightful thing to ride all day long.
    - Trek 8000 hardtail, oldie but goodie! Bombproof frame, indestructible wheels and tough and comfy as old boots.

Add in 4 cars and 1 motorcycle and I have serious problems deciding what to use when!
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    I have 1 bike for everything ... XC, Trail Centres, Commuting ... So shoot me :lol:
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • I've 4 bikes.

I use my less expensive hardtail for commuting over the winter so my more expensive full susser is kept away from the road salt and constant water / mud. Both are used for trail centres and days in the hills.

The downhill bike's no use for anything much other than downhill.

The bmx is kept for indoor use over the winter.

No one bike could really do all these things well.

So you see, I really do need 4 bikes.

Honest :D
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • jjojjas
    jjojjas Posts: 346
    1 bike won't do everything :lol:
    I used to have 5, but I went down to one, then I'm back up to two....I suspect another will come along soon.
    :wink: You NEED another bike

Jas
    it looks a bit steep to me.....
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    OK let's make this as simple and cheap as possible for you; RIGID :D
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    n + 1

Thats true :lol:

Multiple bikes are the way forward, and a fast xc / trail hardtail could be a good match for your trek too.
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • Thread8
    Thread8 Posts: 479
    I have 2 MTB's, a road bike, 2 BMX's and a clown bike, along with enough spare parts for 2 more BMX's and an MTB :D
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

"It's like parkour, on a bike"
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    I think you will be possibly be getting the message :D

Let us know what you get and how many :)
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,713
    I have 4. I want more.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,097
    Adding to this topic, I have just bought another one.........

http://www.theedgecycleworks.com/1389/W ... irage.html

happy boy!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    im breaking my own rules as ive just sold a bike and havent bought another one. nor am i going to i think.

so thatll leave me with 6 bikes which is still 4 too many really as my enduro will do all of the mtbing that i need.

god, what is wrong with me!
  • I've got the IFT for long XC rides with lots of ups, and the Wolf ridge for short blasts and general lunacy!

Still want one more - a hardcore hardtail to be precise!
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    I've only got 2 but will probably get a freerider for next summer...
    Not really active
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    i have 2 but i think i'll be getting a road bike next year
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    I currently have
    a 4" full sus XC bike
    DH bike
    4X bike
    Road bike

I decided that this wasn't enough. So now i'm also building myself a singlespeed XC bike.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Just two that work, the Zaskars. The LE is used for more roads/lanes, but has the ability to tackle some stuff if I want to go offroad. Good for linking bits up. The Team is more of an allrounder, but woul like a burlier full suss.
  • Alex
    Well make sure that when you do get a burly FS, it's not a GT. GT can't make burly FS bikes for toffee.

Ruckus I-drive anyone?
  • supersonic
    Sanction? That is probably what I'll get. I love the Idrive system!
  • Alex
    I drive works great on XC bikes. Does not work on long travel bikes.
  • Alex
    No idea, but the Long travel I-drives, including the DH bikes, ride like crap. They pedal well, but they transmit loads of forces to the rider in the rough stuff at speed and they just feel unstable in tech sections.

The geometry on the long travel bikes is also universally messed up. They all tend to be tall and steep angled like XC bikes, yet have very short top tubes. They don't feel resolved at all. It's like someone from marketing said "ok, this bike needs to have this, this, this and this, go away and draw it", without having ever really ridden a good bike from the sector.
  • supersonic
    Ones I have ridden have been fine, and have ridden loads since the conception of them including one of the first ever in the UK. Mind you, you probably ride a lot faster than me lol.

I suppose geo is personal preference, which is why they have the Force and Sanction set ups - the Force is steep (and I admit, a bit of an oddball!) and many have mentioned this (more like a very long travel XC bike) but the Sanction is much slacker (66 degrees with a 540mm fork), and with a 595mm ETT for a 'medium' with a steepish seat angle is a fair size.

I will test the Sanction first of course, as is one I have not ridden.