Veho Muvi (£12 Delivered!) Youtube footage on pg9

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yep, formatted it a number of times. It's an 8GB card, so even with my silly 10min/GB I should be getting over an hour. I tried with a different card and the battery life was identical.

I might try charging it for longer, after I've given it a few more cycles.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    did you try that formatting tool i mentioned a few pages back?
  • bails87
    You mean this from here?
    In fact try that updated version that ive just found.

I think I tried this one. I'll do it again just to be sure though.
    MTB/CX

• tarren
    tarren Posts: 42
    The only other thing I can suggest is to run them right down, USB charge for 2 hours, see what response you get. If no improvement try 2 1\2 hours, work up from there, you might hit lucky, good luck.
    John Marsh
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Sorry, I'm sure it's in here but I can't find it among the 67 pages of stuff, how do you get rid of the date/time stamp? I could only find about filters to remove it afterwards, I'm wanting to not have it there in the first place if poss.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • blister pus
    no can do. you'd have to use one of the masking filters after.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I'm going to buy one....

No 3!! For multiple camera angles whilst riding in France this summer!

I;ve seen a few of you mention that it takes a 3hr charge from the mains, but it doesn't come with a mains adaptor. What do you use to charge them?
    Cheers
  • Northwind
    no can do. you'd have to use one of the masking filters after.

Had another google, here it is. Haven't done this myself yet:

"how to a) reset the date/time stamp or b) shut it off.

Create a plain-text (.txt) file with one line in it containing the date and time in this format, including the spaces:

yyyy.mm.dd hh:mm:ss

Save it with the name "time.txt" and copy it to the camera's SD card. If you're on a Mac and using Word, save it as an MS-DOS txt file (not sure if this matters, but the card comes formatted in MS-DOS FAT32).

That resets the clock.

If you want to shut the display off, do the same thing but add a space and the letter N at the end of the line in the text file:

yyyy.mm.dd hh:mm:ss N"
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind
    OK, forget that, doesn't seem to work at all :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • blister pus
    well it won't cause it makes no sense. :lol:
  • Northwind
    It's for a different veho copy :(
    Uncompromising extremist
  • blister pus
    bear in mind this barely has rudimentary firmware on it. which is it's problem, period, like you can't do anything with it. but that's why it's a cheap copy.

but you've got me wondering what a real DOS batch file put on the root might actually do. so i might play in a bit out of curiousity.
  • Northwind
    OK, you are in fact wrong ;) Still working on this but I found another variation on the theme with different formatting which can be used to make some limited changes. Got it to change the date and time just now, which is progress. I'll try some more variations.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind
    Oh, sorry. To change time stamp create a text file called tag.txt, and save it onto the SD card. The content should be

[date]
    2010/06/16
    20:19:00

Or, y'know, the actual time ;) Power on, power off, text file disappears and changes are committed to camera.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • blister pus
    I'm actually not wrong in anything i've said.
  • Northwind
    Sure, whatever. You said this approach for making changes to the camera's setup "makes no sense", now we know it works- just a question of getting the commands right.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • blister pus
    No I said the words you copied and pasted make no sense for various reasons as the firmware determines what language and commands are read and interpreted. if it's not hard coded in the firmware you can sit there till the cows come home trying whatever commands you like. it still won't work, sure plug away at it but don't expect miracles
  • Northwind
    It works for other variations of the same camera, so it does make sense, you just need to find the correct instruction for your particular camera (if it exists).

The original datestamp example I gave doesn't work on my one, frinstance,because it doesn't understand "date" but does understand "tag". Perhaps German instead of english. You're right in that the firmware needs to understand the commands, but you're wrong to jump to the conclusion that there's no command to do this, especially since we know the cameras do accept time stamp commands.

Giving it tag.text with [time] N does remove the time but unfortunately not the stamp, it just displays a dead timer instead. Which is useful for the motorcyclists I guess as it stops the time being used to calculate speed, but still not what we want. I'll keep trying variations, that's another step closer.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • blister pus
    And now you're not understanding what firmware is and why it costs money to get a programmer to code and why more expensive models are more expensive because they've spent the money writing half decent firmware and why those models do more. The give away is the fact that this firmware doesn't split and auto generate a new file when it reaches 4GB.
  • Northwind
    Let me just say it again- the original time.txt I posted DOES work on some cheap veho copies and removes the timestamp- I'm not talking about expensive cameras at all, in fact the variant it works on was even cheaper than these ones. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough

Course that doesn't mean this particular variation on the theme has an equivalent command, but there's no reason at all to assume it doesn't.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • blister pus
    there is no cheaper variant than these and the mark up on this is ridiculous because i've talked to the bloke selling them and i've also taken 3 apart and also know what the rough status of the firmware is on them. and the difference between this and a cheap (but still significantly more expensive) 20 / 25 / 30 / 35 / 40 whatever quid Veho is huge. the extra basically gets you "stuff"

Like i said, you can try till your nose bleeds (on the very outside chance you hit something) but if it's not written in the firmware there is fuck all you can do about it - other than get a firmware update - which isn't going to happen on these.
  • Northwind
    Ach, I'm done with this, you're not interested in listening tonight are you.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • blister pus
    hey you're the only one not wanting to listen and take on board. ....and no-one was talking about expensive cameras, we're talking the firmware hard coded on the camera chip, as in information and instructions being there in the first place so when you type magic izzy-wizzy-lets-get-bizzy words in a .txt file and put it on the root of a card, those commands are actually understood and executed correctly. now you either get that or you don't.
  • bails87
    tarren wrote:
    The only other thing I can suggest is to run them right down, USB charge for 2 hours, see what response you get. If no improvement try 2 1\2 hours, work up from there, you might hit lucky, good luck.

Already done that. Thanks though. I'll give it another format and see what happens.
    MTB/CX

• tarren
    bails87, without altering the date\time txt file I have noticed that I don't have to formatt the card, it always shows full capicity. . Have you tried recording with the original txt file unaltered, clutching at straws I know.
    John Marsh
  • Moteymoney
    Moteymoney Posts: 31
    guys, can you still get these cameras???if so where from??? cheers
    CUBE Stereo 'The One'
  • bails87
    tarren wrote:
    bails87, without altering the date\time txt file I have noticed that I don't have to formatt the card, it always shows full capicity. . Have you tried recording with the original txt file unaltered, clutching at straws I know.

I'm not sure what the first bit means.

So you mean don't set the time & date?

I formatted the card last night and charged the cam for about 90 mins on the mains. It lasted 15 mins on the way into work today. :roll:

I hadn't bothered setting the time. Again, 15 minutes taking up 1.6 GB
    MTB/CX

• tarren
    So you mean don't set the time & date? Yes, I don't set mine.My three cams appear more reliable without doing so. I can't think what else you might try, sorry. I only charge via the computer by the way, for about 3 to 4 hours, I switch them off until required. I wonder whether yours are discharging inordinarily quickly.
    John Marsh
  • bails87
    tarren wrote:
    So you mean don't set the time & date? Yes, I don't set mine.My three cams appear more reliable without doing so. I can't think what else you might try, sorry. I only charge via the computer by the way, for about 3 to 4 hours, I switch them off until required. I wonder whether yours are discharging inordinarily quickly.

3 hours mains charge. 27 minutes recording again :roll:

I'll push the reset button and charge for longer on the computer at the weekend to see if I can improve it.
    MTB/CX

• jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Moteymoney wrote:
    guys, can you still get these cameras???if so where from??? cheers

just do a search for "md80" on ebay