Veho Muvi (£12 Delivered!) Youtube footage on pg9

Comments

• bells0
    bells0 Posts: 414
    There a way to make it so that the timestamp doesnt show up?
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Haven't got a clue if it will work, but as the time stamp is set by making a text file on the memory card called TAG.txt with

[date]
    12:30:2009
    14:49:30

maybe making a text file with just

[date]

will mean it displays nothing - worth a try

(open the memory card with the camera plugged in to your pc, right click, new, text document - it makes one called new text document.txt - change the name to TAG, open, write [date], close and save, unplug camera, switch camera on then off, see if it works, let us know)
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    I haven't used mine in ages, been using it on a Skype a fair amount and the clarity is incredible. I'll try and get a night video next week at some point chaps. Glad to see you're enjoying yours.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Tested mine using my sons RC toy -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGAeZdFG ... r_embedded

Its lots of fun. The cat may not be as keen as me.
  • Well mine arrived on xmas eve! Still haven't ordered a card but managed to find an old mobile with a rubbish 1GB card in it to test - works great! :)

How are people helmet mounting at the moment? Pics if available :)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Has anyone got the driver that they can upload please ?

I've only got my netbook and I cant get the drivers off the CD to turn it into a webcam. Ta.
  • strodey
    strodey Posts: 481
    Strodey,
    Can you please confirm if yours is the genuine Muvi camera from Amazon (going by an earlier post you mention Amazon, but not 100% sure if you got both the card and camera from there) and which card you're using

Not meaning to run down anyone else's video by saying this, but your video is one of the clearest and sharpest I've seen so far, especially the riding on the street part.

I have to say, this thread is brilliant I've been looking into getting one of these action camera's and stumbled upon this by accident. It's full of very useful and helpful info.

Many thanks guy's
    it the genuine Muvi branded one! using a class 6 transcend card, this was the second movie made, using windows movie maker, when creating movie to save to computer its important to save it as either a 'large movie file' or dv PAL file (you get the options if you click) this retains the best resolution and frame speed. the first one i made was using the default and did not turn out too good, i cant say if the non branded one are any different or not!
    This is a great post though and after thinking cams were too expensive for ages i finally took the plunge with this and love it!
    Carbon is a mans best freind
  • Davy-g
    Davy-g Posts: 401
    hoochylala wrote:

here is how I have mounted the cam to my skid lid: http://www.mtbe.co.uk/improvised-veho-m ... t5748.html I have to add that due to the severe weather I have not been able to get out and test the rig.... :(

and also the more expensive Muvi does not have the date timestamp on the recorded video... I have tried adding the TAG.txt file to the memory card with no joy.... 8)
  • strodey wrote:
    Strodey,
    Can you please confirm if yours is the genuine Muvi camera from Amazon (going by an earlier post you mention Amazon, but not 100% sure if you got both the card and camera from there) and which card you're using

Not meaning to run down anyone else's video by saying this, but your video is one of the clearest and sharpest I've seen so far, especially the riding on the street part.

I have to say, this thread is brilliant I've been looking into getting one of these action camera's and stumbled upon this by accident. It's full of very useful and helpful info.

Many thanks guy's
    it the genuine Muvi branded one! using a class 6 transcend card, this was the second movie made, using windows movie maker, when creating movie to save to computer its important to save it as either a 'large movie file' or dv PAL file (you get the options if you click) this retains the best resolution and frame speed. the first one i made was using the default and did not turn out too good, i cant say if the non branded one are any different or not!
    This is a great post though and after thinking cams were too expensive for ages i finally took the plunge with this and love it!

Strodey,
    Many thanks for info on the Muvi and the card, and also the part about how to save it for best results using Windows Movie Maker which I have, very much appreciated.
  • missmarple
    Davy-g wrote:
    hoochylala wrote:

here is how I have mounted the cam to my skid lid: http://www.mtbe.co.uk/improvised-veho-m ... t5748.html I have to add that due to the severe weather I have not been able to get out and test the rig.... :(

and also the more expensive Muvi does not have the date timestamp on the recorded video... I have tried adding the TAG.txt file to the memory card with no joy.... 8)

Theres no such thing as 'severe weather' when you ride a MTB.
  • Davy-g wrote:
    hoochylala wrote:

Thats pretty much how i did mine. Hmmm now to find some cable ties, that should stop the slipping i have been getting. Cant believe i didnt think of that.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • Davy-g
    Davy-g Posts: 401
    missmarple wrote:

Theres no such thing as 'severe weather' when you ride a MTB.

There is when ur an old fart that takes longer to fix if he breaks himself when he hits the ground... I don't bounce as good as I used to.... 8) 8)
  • mine finally arrived, need to get a card now
    there are plenty on offer at play.com at the moment
    8gb for approx £10
    these do not state a class though, do i really need class 6 or would any do?
    has anyone tried this camera with a slower speed (class) card and what are the results?
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    strodey wrote:
    Test video including a head over bar moment due to ice Embarassed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=431gOIebTZ4

Note to self; Please change your summer semi slicks before going out in icy muddy wet conditions, just because your in a hurry to try out a new gadget it should not make you lazy!
    strodey good video - nice quality
    Is that abingdon/oxford area? i was there over at christmas to visit my family and i think i walked on that bridleway you fell off on.
  • Davy-g wrote:

Thanks for that Davy, pretty much how I have got mine now, albeit with elastic bands for time being whilst testing at home till I can get some longer zip ties!
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    Mine arrived Tuesday, picked up yesterday. I spent all yesterday afternoon thinking I`d got a dud due to the lockout thing but finally managed to get it working last night after getting home from the flicks.

Took some short vids this morning and i`m fairly impressed with the quality given the price, even the missus had to concede that it was a bargain at £12.

Tried the [date] only tag and it doesn`t get rid of the tag.

I`m getting 30fps from my 8gb class 6 transcend card. I think I might be having some fun with this tonight!!!

Cheers Miss Marple
  • bells0
    Ok, if can't get datestamp to go, anyone managed to get the correct time/date using a mac?

Saved a TAG.txt file using textedit, then dragged the file to the memory card.

Eject the card, record, plug back in and the TAG file has gone. Get a different year and time every time i record something, Weird!
  • matt748
    matt748 Posts: 194
    OK, mine arrived today. Very happy with it, but I cannot get the right date and time displayed. :( I've tried so many different things.
    If anyone's managed this, please could you give me an idiots guide ie date format, where exactly to place the tag file etc.

Thanks in advance

Matt

Trek Fuel EX8 '09
    My Pics
  • alfablue
    I don't know if it makes a difference but I made the txt file on the card whilst in the camera while plugged in to pc (and I didn't create it and drag or copy it, i created it directly on the card). This is because the file is deleted next time the camera powers up. If you write it to the card separately then insert it, the camera deletes it before reading it . . . I think! :shock: :?
  • alfablue
    matt748 wrote:
    OK, mine arrived today. Very happy with it, but I cannot get the right date and time displayed. :( I've tried so many different things.
    If anyone's managed this, please could you give me an idiots guide ie date format, where exactly to place the tag file etc.

Thanks in advance

Matt
    From earlier in the thread:
    alfablue wrote:
    You need to open the root folder of the card in Windows, create a new text file, call it TAG.txt, open the file and type

[date]
    2009/12/23
    22:04:00

(at least that's what I did yesterday - adjust the date/time to suit)

Close and save the file

turn off camera

turn on

date should be set

(ignore the file on the CD, make your own)
    and see my comment above about making this with the camera connected rather than the card in a card reader.

(NB: "root folder" merely means the first folder you get to, for example if the camera shows up as E:/ that is where yiu put the file, E:/Tag.txt )
  • matt748
    Thanks alfablue.
    So is your txt file in the folder with the videos?
    Could you post on here exactly what you put in the txt file?
    Cheers

Trek Fuel EX8 '09
    My Pics
  • alfablue
    this is what I put in the text file:
    [date]
    2009/12/23
    22:04:00
    the file doesn't go in the folder with the videos, it goes in E:/ (or whatever your computer names the camera as, when attached). The file is deleted by the camera after switching on again, so you won't see it again after first putting it on there.
  • matt748
    Sorted! Thanks for your help alfablue. Much appreciated.
    One last thing. As the instructions aren't that good, how do you know when its fully charged? Got a red and blue light (both still) on mine while its plugged in via usb.

Matt

Trek Fuel EX8 '09
    My Pics
  • bells0
    Doing all of the above, but cant get the datestamp to work via my mac.

Thinks it Jan 6th 2010. Only a week out! :?
  • matt748
    bells0 wrote:
    Doing all of the above, but cant get the datestamp to work via my mac.

Thinks it Jan 6th 2010. Only a week out! :?

Just wait a week before you go riding :wink:
    Any thought on how you're going to attach yours?
    Any ideas on the charging lights thingy?

Trek Fuel EX8 '09
    My Pics
  • Great instructions alfablue, many thanks. Finally got mine set to the right date and time. ':D'

And thanks missmarple for the find.
  • grandad3
    grandad3 Posts: 322
    got date set correctly when I was out the other day, however just checking the footage over now and its now showing December 2069 lol. Think I may be dead before then.
    Seems hit and miss I think :!:
    'Collapse the Light into Earth'
  • matt748
    OK here's my 1st try outside with it. Lost the sound when I rode off the curb. Strange.
    Mounted (quickly bodged) a cable tie on the front below the handlebars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E039ROf-Mhs

Trek Fuel EX8 '09
    My Pics
  • missmarple
    grandad3 wrote:
    got date set correctly when I was out the other day, however just checking the footage over now and its now showing December 2069 lol. Think I may be dead before then.
    Seems hit and miss I think :!:

We have hope! Kidding!

Is there some sort of 'BikeRadar' group we could create on Youtube to stockpile all our £12 Veho Videos?
  • bells0 wrote:
    Ok, if can't get datestamp to go, anyone managed to get the correct time/date using a mac?

Saved a TAG.txt file using textedit, then dragged the file to the memory card.

Eject the card, record, plug back in and the TAG file has gone. Get a different year and time every time i record something, Weird!
    I've just done this with my Powerbook...

plug it in, finder sees a USB disk. Save a text file with the required formatting [I used SubEthaEdit - can't see why Textedit wouldn't work either though], and make sure 'hide file extension' is unchecked. I think the confusion might be that Macs don't really need a file extension and can, usually do, save files without. It could also be saving it as rich text, which would really confuse the poor camera! Make sure it's plain text only.
    As previous, switch off, switch on, TAG.txt file has disappeared - and so will any videos you've taken, so take care!

Tested and it works fine with a couple of videos, no random dates or anything, 30fps with a 4GB class-something-or-other card. Not bad, a bit of motion blur though.