Get behind Cav for Sports Personality of the Year!

nickwill
nickwill Posts: 2,735
edited December 2009 in Pro race
Now is the time for all cyclists to unite and get another win for cycling.
I know that some of you don't like him, but a vote for him is a vote for the sport. In my eyes he would be an extremely worthy winner.

Comments

• nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    Fair comment
    The general public think Button will win,but then again,it only takes the majority of users on this site to vote,&Cav will win.
    It happened for Chris Hoy
    so many cols,so little time!
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    edited December 2009
    The Good Boat Tusher is insured through the RYA and last year we received e-mails and texts asking us to vote for the nominated sailor. So we voted for Chris Hoy, of course, but purely on the basis of those e-mails most of our sea fishing friends did vote for the sailor. Wish I could remember his name. it proves that if the cycling sites, magazines and commuters can get their act together, a mass vote is there for Cav. As it was for Hoy.

I shall, of course, spend two hours of my work Christmas night out using everyone's mobile phone to register my votes for Mr Cavendish.

Sadly though, it'll go to the wretched car. Or the footballer (I did glimpse a footballer in the list, didn't I?) The wee diver will get a lot of the 'aw, isn't he sweet' granny vote.

Beth Tweddle and Jessica Ennis are also very worthy.
  • SDF64
    SDF64 Posts: 34
    Cav is definitely the one as far as i'm concerned. Unfortunately i can't see it happening even with a concerted effort by all us cyclists.

Hoy got it last year (deservedly so) due partly to an organised campaign but also I would argue due to his high profile after the Olympics, he was on just about every TV show you can think of at some point (I'm sure i saw him wandering around Albert Square at one time :D ).

Cav hasn't had anywhere near as much TV time. Let's face it, even though we would like to believe it we are not a cycling nation - YET.

I'll be voting for him on the night though - you never know we might just do it again.
  • Tusher
    Yes, that's my hope as well, SDF64, I was delighted yet surprised that Chris Hoy won last year- just shows the latent power we cyclists have.

And although I'm hopeful, I doubt it will go to another cyclist. Everyone at work had heard of Chris Hoy, but alas very few have even heard of Mark Cavendish.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    i don't feel that the vote will mobilise in the same way, because there are too many people within cycling fans who don't like him (have you ever heared anyone say they don't like hoy?), and he doesn't have the same exposure to non cycling fans.

i'll be voting for him - although jessica ennis is also deserving.

please god, not button. i don't actually regard f1 as a sport!!!
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    PBo wrote:
    please god, not button. i don't actually regard f1 as a sport!!!
    A good point,well made :D
    so many cols,so little time!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Tusher wrote:
    The Good Boat Tusher is insured through the RYA and last year we received e-mails and texts asking us to vote for the nominated sailor. So we voted for Chris Hoy, of course, but purely on the basis of those e-mails most of our sea fishing friends did vote for him. Wish I could remember his name. it proves that if the cycling sites, magazines and commuters can get their act together, a mass vote is there for Cav.

Ben Ainslie - he deserves to win this award one day. A brilliant sportsman.

I don't think Cav will win, but a podium place is a possibility, so I'll be voting a few times.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Tusher
    Ben Ainslie- yes, of course, that's who it was. Thanks for reminding me.
    And you're right- I was amazed at how many people who tinker about on lochs in yachts, boats, kayaks even, were motivated to vote for him. And most of them had taken no or little interest in SPOTY before. Because boating in whatever form has so many participating, if not actually competing, they were overjoyed at the recognition of their hobby and Ainslie's sport.

Same for Beth Tweddle and gymnastics. Little recognition and little financial reward, she represents the sportmen and women who love their sport and are prepared to make all sorts of sacrifices to compete. That's the sort of person who should win. And that's the sort of person who won last year- Chris Hoy was not, I'm certain, a wealthy man before last year. And no more deserving athlete there was to reap what benefits he could from what is a minority sport.

But of course, it'll go to the car and someone who has made millions out of live Skaletrix (sp?)
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Are we to vote on the basis of what he's achieved on the bike, or on his personality?

Sure his feats at the Tour were great, but ..... :wink:
  • If the poll was actually about personality then he would win hands down. Love him or loathe Cav he has got personality in bucket loads. If you ever bump into him off the bike he is a really nice guy, passionate about bikes and racing. When he has crossed the line he is sort of the same - passionate about what he does for a living. Shame he doesn't stop and think before he engages his mouth (at times). His words in the tour for Thor were harsh, but he did eat humble pie a day or so later.

Give him his dues he does apologise publicly - I think a few other notable people in the news could take a leaf out of his book.

My 2p worth
  • Tusher
    Makes 4pence, 'cos that's my tuppence worth as well.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Tusher wrote:
    And you're right- I was amazed at how many people who tinker about on lochs in yachts, boats, kayaks even, were motivated to vote for him. And most of them had taken no or little interest in SPOTY before. Because boating in whatever form has so many participating, if not actually competing, they were overjoyed at the recognition of their hobby and Ainslie's sport.

Same for Beth Tweddle and gymnastics. Little recognition and little financial reward, she represents the sportmen and women who love their sport and are prepared to make all sorts of sacrifices to compete. That's the sort of person who should win. And that's the sort of person who won last year- Chris Hoy was not, I'm certain, a wealthy man before last year. And no more deserving athlete there was to reap what benefits he could from what is a minority sport.

But of course, it'll go to the car and someone who has made millions out of live Skaletrix (sp?)

It's not an award for doing well while toiling out of the spotlight and not making much money though is it? Are you suggesting that Button is less deserving because he's minted?

The problem with getting all one-eyed about how Cav, Ainslie or the British world [insert minority, low coverage and reward sport here] champion etc. deserve it is that if they do, then so do a whole bunch of people you've never heard of from minority sports you have no interest in.

I'm sure there'd be plenty of complaints on here if it went to someone nobody outside of their chosen sport had ever heard of- if that sport wasn't cycling of course.
    Llike it or not, SPOTY is about people that the general public are actually interested in.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    edited December 2009
    Unfortunately, for Joe Public, Cav's achievements were:

1) Won a race in Italy that we've not heard of.
    2) Won some TDF stages but finished 131st overall.
    3) Didn't win his Olympic event.
    4) Is not a world or national champion.

It's a tough sell to a non-cycling fan, when compared to World Champion, Jenson Button, etc.

Sad, but true. :roll:
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Unfortunately, for Joe Public, Cav's achievements were:

1) Won a race in Italy that we've not heard of.
    2) Won some TDF satges but finished 131st overall.
    3) Didn't win his Olympic event.
    4) Is not a world or national champion.

It's a tough sell to a non-cycling fan, when compared to World Champion, Jenson Button, etc.

Sad, but true. :roll:

100% spot on we all know his worth and how big winning MSR was but really who cares about SPOTY as is in the wider scheme of things pretty meaningless for someone of Cavs stature. I mean Princess Annes daughter won it ffs i cant even remember her name now was it Sara or something...........anyway as i say for a road cyclist its no biggie but maybe different for someone like Chris Hoy.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    If a sizable proportion of cyclists voted for him, I still think he would stand a chance.
    As a group we are probablymore motivated than many casual followers of sports like motor racing.
  • If *we* as computer bound cyclists can apparently rig the Times bestest thing ever ever online poll a few years back so that the bicycle is voted the bestest thing ever made. Then I'm sure winning a SPOTY is like riding very fast down Winnats Pass
  • cav is the only person who deserves it this year, that gymnast may be fantastic but she hasn't made a real contribution to that sport
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    cav is the only person who deserves it this year, that gymnast may be fantastic but she hasn't made a real contribution to that sport

What does that mean? What contribution has Cav made to cycling?

Personally, I think the list is a pretty good one. The only person I would begrudge winning would be Murray. All the others are there on merit.
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    If *we* as computer bound cyclists can apparently rig the Times bestest thing ever ever online poll a few years back so that the bicycle is voted the bestest thing ever made. Then I'm sure winning a SPOTY is like riding very fast down Winnats Pass
    Why is this rigging? The bicycle is the bestest thing ever made (by quite some way as well!!)
  • moray_gub
    afx237vi wrote:
    cav is the only person who deserves it this year, that gymnast may be fantastic but she hasn't made a real contribution to that sport

What does that mean? What contribution has Cav made to cycling?

Personally, I think the list is a pretty good one. The only person I would begrudge winning would be Murray. All the others are there on merit.

Eh you jest surely ? Murray has won a good few tournaments this year in fact i think he has now won more than any other British player id say he definately deserves to be in there on merit .
  • afx237vi
    Moray Gub wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Eh you jest surely ? Murray has won a good few tournaments this year in fact i think he has now won more than any other British player id say he definately deserves to be in there on merit .

All the others have either won a world championship title, or won what is considered to be the highest achievement available to them in their chosen sport. So Strauss won the Ashes as player of the series, Cav won MSR and the Champs Elysees stage.

Murray won 6 tournaments, but only 2 of them were top tier events. Don't get me wrong, a semi-final in Wimbledon is obviously impressive, but I don't think that compares to what the other nominees have achieved this year.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    afx237vi wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

All the others have either won a world championship title, or won what is considered to be the highest achievement available to them in their chosen sport. So Strauss won the Ashes as player of the series, Cav won MSR and the Champs Elysees stage.

Murray won 6 tournaments, but only 2 of them were top tier events. Don't get me wrong, a semi-final in Wimbledon is obviously impressive, but I don't think that compares to what the other nominees have achieved this year.
    Exactly. S'why it was probably wise to leave Wiggins off the list.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,481
    teagar wrote:
    Exactly. S'why it was probably wise to leave Wiggins off the list.

You mean you don't rate the Herald Sun Tour? :wink:
  • moray_gub
    afx237vi wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Ok as great a player as Ryan Giggs is what did he win this year that he hasnt in previous years, in fact the highest club honour eluded him this year and he didnt play that many games last season. He won Player of the year last season on sentimental grounds Phillips Odowu the highest for him is Olympic Gold no question ok he won a WC but that doesnt compare. Andrew Struass captained a winning Ashes team against the worst Aussie team to tour here for 30 years thats not worthy of inclusion imo, Strauss is only in there as the English public somehow view winning a two team tourney as being a great achievment come on eh !. as for Murray to win two top tier tournaments is very very good going and he was up to number two and he made the Semis at Wimbledon which was usually enough to get Tim Henman into the nominiations list. Murray is not universally liked by a lot of the english public and that goes against him for things like this but there is no doubt he is very much in there on merit alone to suggest otherwise is really quite bizzarre.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Nickwill wrote:
    Now is the time for all cyclists to unite and get another win for cycling.
    I know that some of you don't like him, but a vote for him is a vote for the sport. In my eyes he would be an extremely worthy winner.

Sorry, can't do it...the guy's a chomp.

Fast but still a chomp..;-)

and they won't have a cyclist winning it 2 years on the trot anyway so what's the point.
  • sampras38
    MrChuck wrote:
    Tusher wrote:

It's not an award for doing well while toiling out of the spotlight and not making much money though is it? Are you suggesting that Button is less deserving because he's minted?

The problem with getting all one-eyed about how Cav, Ainslie or the British world [insert minority, low coverage and reward sport here] champion etc. deserve it is that if they do, then so do a whole bunch of people you've never heard of from minority sports you have no interest in.

I'm sure there'd be plenty of complaints on here if it went to someone nobody outside of their chosen sport had ever heard of- if that sport wasn't cycling of course.
    Llike it or not, SPOTY is about people that the general public are actually interested in.

This^

I'd be suprised if Joe public knew who Cav was so i can't see it happening. Outside of the so-called favourite Button I'd imagine the only one most people know much about is Murray due to his rise up the rankings in the last year. i'm a big fan of his tennis but not so much the personality. Although he's only very young.
  • afx237vi
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Ok as great a player as Ryan Giggs is what did he win this year that he hasnt in previous years, in fact the highest club honour eluded him this year and he didnt play that many games last season. He won Player of the year last season on sentimental grounds Phillips Odowu the highest for him is Olympic Gold no question ok he won a WC but that doesnt compare. Andrew Struass captained a winning Ashes team against the worst Aussie team to tour here for 30 years thats not worthy of inclusion imo, Strauss is only in there as the English public somehow view winning a two team tourney as being a great achievment come on eh !. as for Murray to win two top tier tournaments is very very good going and he was up to number two and he made the Semis at Wimbledon which was usually enough to get Tim Henman into the nominiations list. Murray is not universally liked by a lot of the english public and that goes against him for things like this but there is no doubt he is very much in there on merit alone to suggest otherwise is really quite bizzarre.

Fair point about Giggs. I forgot he was on the list. Like you say, that's just a sentimentality / lifetime achievement recognition, but he won't win anyway.

Tim Henman only ever got nominated because British sport was utter dross throughout most of the 90s and he was the best we had. Nowadays we are a bit better and a semi-final in Wimbledon is expected as the norm, not hoped for beyond hope. Murray has more to give and hasn't hit his peak. He should get an award then, not before.
  • moray_gub
    afx237vi wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

Fair point about Giggs. I forgot he was on the list. Like you say, that's just a sentimentality / lifetime achievement recognition, but he won't win anyway.

Tim Henman only ever got nominated because British sport was utter dross throughout most of the 90s and he was the best we had. Nowadays we are a bit better and a semi-final in Wimbledon is expected as the norm, not hoped for beyond hope. Murray has more to give and hasn't hit his peak. He should get an award then, not before.

I dont think Murray deserves to win it but as i said i fail to see how his iinclusion is not merited.
  • sampras38
    Moray Gub wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

I dont think Murray deserves to win it but as i said i fail to see how his iinclusion is not merited.

TBH, the whole thing is just a load of back slapping anyway and whilst i'm a huge sports fan myself, I've never really paid too much attention to the award over the years.
  • moray_gub
    sampras38 wrote:
    TBH, the whole thing is just a load of back slapping anyway and whilst i'm a huge sports fan myself, I've never really paid too much attention to the award over the years.

TBH i kinda feel the same way often this award is often dished out for sentimental reasons such as Gazza's tears and rating a sports event higher than it actually is such as the 2005 Ashes win