Whats the worst part currently on your bike?

13»

Comments

• alomac
    alomac Posts: 189
    I can't of anything on my MTB that I really hate, but I would like lighter wheels. I haven't actually weighed the current ones, but since they're low-end OE rims (Bonty Ranger) on M475 hubs, I'm guessing that they're going to be somewhat on the porky side. Strong though. Tbh, I wish I had replaced these rather than getting a new fork.
    My Cycraguard crud-catcher clone is pretty hopeless, which is why I now use an SKS shockblade.

I absolutely despise my commuter on the other hand. Indeed, one good thing about going back to Australia in January is that I won't have to see it anymore.
  • The Scott seat which came as standard on my Scale 30, it is like sitting on a mis-shapen rock! The only reason I haven't yet changed it is because I am petrified I will choose something just as bad, seats aren't the easiest thing to try before you buy.
    Ridley Orion
  • My rear shimano hub with its mega wobble, which I can't fix as I cannot get to the cones as my disc won't come off, some idiot rounded the torx bolt

Other than that
    Middle chainring, no matter how often I replace it, it always starts slipping after 2 months.
    Yes the peak district really does destroy your drivechain
  • Hm
    Frame: Way too heavy
    Front Suspension: Barely moves.
    Rear Suspension: Does LITERALLY NOTHING. Is welded directly onto the frame. :lol:
    Drivetrain: Shimano Tourney, doesn't even shift to highest gear, creaks
    Brakes: Shimano no-model-name V Brakes, suck balls.
    Wheels, Tyres and Hubs: No name, too heavy, poor rolling resistance.
    Weighs just over 17 kilos total.

As you can guess, I can't wait to upgrade to a Boardman Pro HT this Sat. :lol:
  • Another vote here for 'the rider'
    John Stevenson
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,713
    On my mountain bike, the rear hub. It's a 6 year old (at least) Deore disc which has had a lot of abuse. The bearings are destroyed, the freehub's nearly dead and it weighs more than your mother.

Problem is I rarely ride the damn thing, so I can't really justify a decent replacement when I've got no money...
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    456: saddle (fizik gobi xm) has a snapped rail which needs to be replaced, I'd like to swap the pikes for either some 150mm revs with u-turn and maxle lite, or some fox talas. Rims 719 for 819 but that's a whim over necessity, especially considering they're fine ghetto. I'd like a qr seatclamp (hope/thomson) and a drop post, tech v2 brakes and the new carbon frame. The only likely ones are the frame, seatclamp and saddle though. possibly a drop post!

Inbred: needs a rear brake as cable discs suck, want another elixir cr carbon, forks want a drop in BBMC cartridge, new steerer for the lefty, new grips, frame re-spray. These will all happen.

Pompino: carbon forks, the steel ones just weigh too much...

Jump bike: new wheels at some point and some argyles or the pikes if i ever get revs. maybe some blingage

Rat bike, nothing will probably end up with the parts on the steel 456 frame.
    if you do this, can i have your pikes?
    I like bikes and stuff
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Rear wheel is out of true and front shifter was smashed last rideout in a crash.

New shifter should arrive today... will get wheel done at same time.

Apart from that.... the fact it weighs more than a small horse.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    weeksy59 wrote:
    Apart from that.... the fact it weighs more than a small horse.

That's not too bad:

MyLittlePonySparkle.jpg

:lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • COMET99
    COMET99 Posts: 140
    Me!

Oh yeah and my rubbish Shimano deore rear hub, crock of S***! Got a Hope pro2 waiting in the wings though :D Just need some more funds to buy a Sram Cassette and chain. Ahh...and the list goes one! Haha
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Reading this thread, it's no wonder some of you have trouble.

If something's broken, why not fix it/replace it?
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    dave_hill...
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    I mean the part that pi55es you off most, the part that you'd change if you had the money/could be arsed, the part that never does it's job properly or always fails at that vital moment.....
    :roll:
  • COMET99
    COMET99 Posts: 140
    To be honest I've fixed my rear hub several times, but have now got to the point where I'd to try a new peice kit and start a new adventure! Always enjoy fixing stuff until it get's to the point where it'll cost more to fix it than it would to replace it. More fun I suppose.

Ta
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    on the full sus its gotta be the deore shifters, changing up is as precise as blind golfing. on my full sus thats probably the oly part i dont want, my front wheels a bit crap but doesnt bother me.
    my HT is a pile of pants tho, its easier to list things on it that arent crap:
    hollowtech cranks, MG1 pedals and the rest is crap that i didnt want on the full sus. just occurred to me that it has decent shifters lol
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    lawman wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    my rockshox tora 318 uturns ...... biggest load of poo since rs judy sl's :roll:

they're heavy, the rebound has a mind of its own, they're too soft in the beggining of the stroke but bottomm out at about 90mm of travel not 130 (this has baffled me for 3 bloody years :() other than that the crack in the clamp of magura louise front brake, currently secured in place with a zip tie, shimano hubs that are shoot despite being xt, wheels are too heavy, stem is too long bars arent quite wide enough.

despite all this i love my maxlight tbh, god knows well it would go with better kit :twisted:

The damper has collapsed, get them serviced. Bloody great forks when they work.

You bought a faulty fork - you should have sent them back!!!
    tbh sonic they've been like that since i bought them from crc. they still ride at full extension they just dont get full travel no matter how heavy you are :? its frikcin wierd

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    supersonic wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    my rockshox tora 318 uturns ...... biggest load of poo since rs judy sl's :roll:

they're heavy, the rebound has a mind of its own, they're too soft in the beggining of the stroke but bottomm out at about 90mm of travel not 130 (this has baffled me for 3 bloody years :() other than that the crack in the clamp of magura louise front brake, currently secured in place with a zip tie, shimano hubs that are shoot despite being xt, wheels are too heavy, stem is too long bars arent quite wide enough.

despite all this i love my maxlight tbh, god knows well it would go with better kit :twisted:

The damper has collapsed, get them serviced. Bloody great forks when they work.

tbh sonic they've been like that since i bought them from crc. they still ride at full extension they just dont get full travel no matter how heavy you are :? its frikcin wierd

oh well to late now :( tbf they are reasonable i guess and other than that issue they have not had to be touched.
  • supersonic
    I'd still service them and unlock what the fork can really do.
  • The X-Fusion shock on my 08 FSRxc. Bag of pants. Would you like some pedal bob with your order? To top it off it's a non-standard size so unless I want to fork out a small fortune at TFTuned for a nearly the same RP23 I'm stuck with it.

Still, musn't grumble...
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    the worst part on my bike right now is a shady xtr rear mech which badly needs a new b-axle assembly. It is very wobbly... I am getting ghost shifting and non-shifting happening all at the same time!

Its awesome.
    :D
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • supersonic
    bluehelmet wrote:
    The X-Fusion shock on my 08 FSRxc. Bag of pants. Would you like some pedal bob with your order? To top it off it's a non-standard size so unless I want to fork out a small fortune at TFTuned for a nearly the same RP23 I'm stuck with it.

Still, musn't grumble...

That's the FSR design for you ;-) Very active, but bob-a-lot.

That said, the ProPedal does tame it...
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Kiblams wrote:
    if you had the money/could be arsed

This is what annoys me - why buy an expensive piece of kit if you can't be bothered to look after it?

If you had a Ferrari, would you look after it? Of course you would, so why not your bike?

(Obviously, kiblams, I'm not having a go at you, but you get the picture...)
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • rubins4
    rubins4 Posts: 563
    I think its the slightly too big seat clamp i pinched off an old frame in my shed that winds me up the most, every time i change the seat hight (which is quite alot per ride) i have the same arguement with it! :lol:

Other than that, just an intermitently creeking BB, but not entirely sure what to do with them as they are 24/7 three piece cranks/BB from a few years back, and I dont know how available spares are? :|
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12613038
    Anyway, fk dis, I iz off 4 a ride innit. l8rz peepz
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    has anyone mentioned the old joke about " the nut holding the handlebars yet"

usually on road bikes it's the wheels that are an afterthought, whereas mountain bikes the forks probably.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    The Deore cassette its so heavy its stopping me from riding like a god just wait till I get an XTR cassette
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    JamesBrckmn wrote:
    The chain keeps skipping across the cassete, and i don't know/ can't be bothered to fix it.
    Also, the chain keeps getting sucked inbetween the chainrings and one time it took an hour to fix.

Supersonic said:
    Worn chain/cogs.

That's strange beacause it's only 4 months old, i clean it reguraly, and generaly only ride 3-4 times a week (and some of those are just road rides 6 miles to school and back)
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    bluehelmet wrote:
    The X-Fusion shock on my 08 FSRxc. Bag of pants. Would you like some pedal bob with your order? To top it off it's a non-standard size so unless I want to fork out a small fortune at TFTuned for a nearly the same RP23 I'm stuck with it.

Still, musn't grumble...

I agree with this but 'luckily' mine developed a fault after 3 months of getting the bike so it went back and they sent me the next model up in the X-Fusion range. It's no RP23 (Please Santa, I've been REALLY good....) but it's better than the original part.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    my forks and the hope mini lever for the front brake (supposed to be a moto)

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!