Whats the worst part currently on your bike?

Comments

• JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    The chain keeps skipping across the cassete, and i don't know/ can't be bothered to fix it.
    Also, the chain keeps getting sucked inbetween the chainrings and one time it took an hour to fix.
  • my XT rear mech, back plate snapped between the jockey wheels as I left the house, on its way back to shimano under warranty

Still on the upside my mates sorted me a 2010 Enduro test bike until is sorted, sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    rear dt swiss sqewer, right tight c*&t to open, have to use pair of pliers to open it.
    keep meaning to get a hope or dt rws but cant be arsed.
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Rear V-brake; every muddy ride I get grit in the short cable between the top tube and the brake and it jams on :x Can't chant this to a disk brake until I get my new frame and to be honest the flat topped top tube is probably the reason for the grit issue in the first place... Bring on xmas and the new frame from the missus :D
  • on the qr, use a cable tie or piece of string to pull it undone, works easily for some reason.
  • trip
    trip Posts: 64
    the rear wheel/rotor/caliper combo.

Every time i have to put the rear wheel back in it rubs and i have to set the caliper up again or deal with the constant rubbing noise!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    lawman wrote:
    my rockshox tora 318 uturns ...... biggest load of poo since rs judy sl's :roll:

they're heavy, the rebound has a mind of its own, they're too soft in the beggining of the stroke but bottomm out at about 90mm of travel not 130 (this has baffled me for 3 bloody years :() other than that the crack in the clamp of magura louise front brake, currently secured in place with a zip tie, shimano hubs that are shoot despite being xt, wheels are too heavy, stem is too long bars arent quite wide enough.

despite all this i love my maxlight tbh, god knows well it would go with better kit :twisted:

The damper has collapsed, get them serviced. Bloody great forks when they work.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The chain keeps skipping across the cassete, and i don't know/ can't be bothered to fix it.
    Also, the chain keeps getting sucked inbetween the chainrings and one time it took an hour to fix.

Worn chain/cogs.
  • On the IFT- honestly nothing that niggles me at all, yeah the wheels could lighter or the groupset could be XTR instead of XT I guess. Wouldn't mind the new version of the mini monos as they look nicer. Maybe some red QR skewers.

On the Wolf Ridge - Nothing is functionally bad really, have always hated the graphitti graphics on the stem, bars and seatpost, would like some nice sunline kit to replace, in the grey colour they do. Would also like some 150mm fox floats, but only if they can be sourced in black or metallic grey, White forks would look poo. And finally some industry nine wheels in orange with black rims.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • right where do i start,

frame - too heavy
    fork - too heavy and cack (dart1's lol)
    wheels - well this next bit is taken from the br review of the 08 CB stone river as it has the same wheelset
    Wheels:
    Wheels Brand:Weinmann
    Front Wheel Weight:2300 g :shock:
    Rear Wheel Weight:2900 g :shock:
    Rims Brand:Weinmann
    Rims Model:zac2000
    Front Hub Model:Quando Disc
    Rear Hub Model:Quando Disc

friggin eck, i just hope those wheel weights are with tyres and tubes

i had thought about replacing the fork with a tora, but i've just putting the money away so i can buy a new bike, cheaper to get a new bike than worry about new wheels frame and fork
    whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons
  • On the Marin - not a bloody thing that I would change, it literally is my dream bike. :D

Sanction, would like some carbon bars (but can't afford them at the moment), apart from that it's perfect at the moment, but at a push, maybe some lighter wheels?

Kikapu, not even built yet so can't comment. :lol: 8)
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    for me it's the same part on each bike; the rider....
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Dowse40
    Dowse40 Posts: 102
    FSA mega exo BB. It's so stiff i think rigor mortis has set in! :(
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    The vulcan is currently 3 speed due to the rear shifter turning the ways of the taliban ...

I refuse to fix it though ... Ive spent enough on this bike, Im just 3 speeding it untill ive finished the 456 !
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    Frame!!!

It rides superbly but it cracked. It's in hand though and should receiving my 2010 replcement soon!

And Hope Mono Mini's on the Lobster, never really got on with them. Not powerful enough.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Well apparently my rear hub is pretty dire (came with the bike as new - some Shimano thing). However it's lasted around 5k++ miles in some of the worst conditions ever with only one service/grease repack and it's pretty quiet (I hate noisy rear hubs) so although I could possibly save weight, I don't feel the need to. The rims are also not reputed to be the best but again they've lasted very well - front one had a re-build (new spokes, etc) after a crash and the rear one has been trued once but that's it.

Been trying to make the bike as perfect for me as possible and TBH although it's now pretty old (late 2007 Stumpjumper HT), it's pretty much as I want it - a replacement would cost a lot.

The brakes (Avid Juicy 5s) were VERY annoying for the first year I had them (always rubbing and squeaking despite adjustments) but are now working very well.

Would possibly replace the wheels and the brakes (for Formulas) eventually but that's it.

Quite a nice place to be.

The road bike got upgraded rims (RS10s) after the first service so that's as I want it too. It really is very light despite not being anything flashy/carbon.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Rear cassette, i put a cheap shimano one on at the begining of the summer as a stand in, it works but it weighs the earth! in the mean time XTand XTR ones have rocketed in price and i cant justify replacing the existing one as it still works fine :?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Nothing.
    I love my bike. :D

Although I've busted the rebound on my Dart, again. :roll:
  • my rear shock
  • timmys
    timmys Posts: 191
    XT rear hub.

Has been making nasty noises from new, seems to be a common problem.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    ..................ME.................
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Xtreem wrote:
    Nothing.I love my bike.
    +1

I can't stop riding it.
  • Me

Oh and possibly the crappy drivtrain i have on it, never seem's to want to stay in gear no matter how much i adjust it :roll:
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Aside from the engine, nothing.

That said the only original bits left on my Giant are the frame, the rear shock (surprisingly, it's a Manitou Swinger 3-way but it just seems to keep on going...), the brakes (Hayes 9s - absolutely perfect and have never let me down once) and the seatpost.

I've only changed the saddle, grips and pedals on my Orange, but the Holzfeller bars are next in the skip, they're a really weird shape.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • jay12 wrote:
    okay lets get started
    frame:too heavy and big
    fork:stanchions are loose and hardly work
    wheels:heavy and are not smooth even after bearing replacment
    shifters:hardly work and are dodgy
    rear mech:dosn't shift correctly
    cassete:heavy and dosn't spin back
    chain:actually it's pretty good
    no front mech
    chainset:heavy and you can't take chainrings off
    brakes;squal in the wet like a woman who just saw a giant spider and don't always work well
    handlebar:heavy and too short
    stem:heavy and i don't like amount of rise on it
    seatpost:dosn't clamp the saddle propley
    saddle:it's basically a brisk in the shape of a saddle
    seat clamp;is awesome
    grips;are getting worn too quickly
    shock:dosn't work
    tyres:are not grippy enough

i think that is it

Just wondering if this is that one of those Asda specials? You know, the £70 jobs....

Anyway - Langster. Um,...well its a rat bike so the half bar tape idea is fine, I've new Mavic track wheels (£399 oops!) A small saddle pack so I can carry tube/levers/change. Maybe a new paint job and some full carbon forks. That'd be great, but then it would stop it being my rat bike. I don't do things by halfs....
    Roubaix. Oh dear god the wheels! They are rubbish. I have FSA wheels which I picked up cheap. They were black so it all matched colour wise, deal done. I've trued them at least once a month, sometimes twice. I'm not fat, I'm not a hard rider, I just ride round Bath. I don't know what wheels to get. I did have Mavic Ksyrium SL's before. Wish I could have another set. The premium ones. :wink:
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    I love the frame and fork set up on my Pace, it rides a treat but there are a couple of issues that really pi$$ me off.

The rebound dial ontop of my DT Swiss EXC150 forks does its own thing, on some rough singletrack it vibrates itself round altering the rebound setting.

The frame itself is cracking however it fill's up with water after a wet ride or a wash and loves to pour out all over you from the top of the seatube when you get the bike onto its back wheel to get it in the house!

The cable routing is crap aswell. The rear brake hose and rear mech cable go under the bottombracket, you have to have quite a bit of free cable to account for the travel and they also take a lot of rock strikes.

My X9 shifter for the rear is a bit sticky too but that me too tight to buy a new one, countless strips and lubes aint sorted it!
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    The Juicy 7's on my endruo are way past their best. 3 years of utter abuse and the levers have more play than the old Vic, they rattle along if I'm not covering them.

Striped and cleaned the front caliper (dead easy job) and re-bled it works okay, but what feels like sponginess is actually play in the lever.

I'm sure I could have them tip-top again if I wanted, but because Avid like to dry sodamise their customers on spares it's cheaper to buy new ones from Merlin (well almost).

Time for some Hope Tech's I think.

Not surprisingly the second least favorite part I ever owned - Avid Codes on my DH bike, the most infuriating things I ever owned - when they worked properly (I think it was between the hours of 1 and 3 on the 14th of July last year) they were amazing. I had a few runs in Les Gets on them and they were just beutiful, more power than you ever need, but controllable with it. Then they just went to poo. Constand bleeding, lever parts breaking, pad adjustment knob seizing etc etc etc. Sold them a few months back. I might replace them with some Tech M4's if I ever get around to rebuilsin my DH bike
  • No working gears and four gear levers with an instruction leaflet that would cure insomia! Fitted one lever, one chainset and have nice usable gears-Happy Bunny! :D
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    brakes. they dont stop me, are a bum to bleed, are expensive, look cheap, and keep braking! (pun unintended) oh, and they arnt light. im also not a fan of my wheels, mostly becouse they arnt american classic AM's....
    I like bikes and stuff
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    supersonic wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    my rockshox tora 318 uturns ...... biggest load of poo since rs judy sl's :roll:

they're heavy, the rebound has a mind of its own, they're too soft in the beggining of the stroke but bottomm out at about 90mm of travel not 130 (this has baffled me for 3 bloody years :() other than that the crack in the clamp of magura louise front brake, currently secured in place with a zip tie, shimano hubs that are shoot despite being xt, wheels are too heavy, stem is too long bars arent quite wide enough.

despite all this i love my maxlight tbh, god knows well it would go with better kit :twisted:

The damper has collapsed, get them serviced. Bloody great forks when they work.

tbh sonic they've been like that since i bought them from crc. they still ride at full extension they just dont get full travel no matter how heavy you are :? its frikcin wierd