Whats the worst part currently on your bike?

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited December 2009 in MTB general
I mean the part that pi55es you off most, the part that you'd change if you had the money/could be arsed, the part that never does it's job properly or always fails at that vital moment.....

Me?
Hope seatclamp. Its SH*T. even got my frame measured by LBS to ensure I got the exact one I needed.
It creaks. If it gets muddy it doesn't work. It seizes. I feel royaly bent over and shafted.

How about you?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    SRAM X9 shifters and rear mech.
  • jjojjas
    jjojjas Posts: 346
    me :lol:
    it looks a bit steep to me.....
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    my whole bloody bike :evil:
  • The rider here also :-)

Fancied some lighter wheels, but the existing ones are good enough, atleast thats what I keep telling myself..
    *Rock Lobster Team Tig SL (22lb 14oz)
    *C. Late 1950's Fixed Gear
    *1940 Raleigh Dawn Tourist with rod brakes
  • It was the TALAS adjuster on my forks, it was a right pain to move, but Mojo fitted a new style one for me which works so much better! So now I'd have to say it's my SPDs, the plates on the pedals have worn and now my cleats always have a slight rattle, which is most annoying.
  • oo i'd hate a rattle... I hate it when my brake cables hit my forks/headtube because it makes a loud clanging.... always think its my forks coming apart!! :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    until today it was the enduros stem which is now replaced.

i want a new seat post for the orange but cant bring myself to part with money for a thomson as the bike is supposed to be a spare parts cheapo build. if i start upgrading now it'll not stop.

has anyone seen the new thomson seatpost clamp by the way? its very ace looking!
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    The saddle, it is the most uncomfortable thing on the planet - but it was white, so I bought it to match my stem!

Also, the rearshock - Rockshox Bar; it is basically a glorified pogo stick.
  • Phonk7
    Phonk7 Posts: 178
    Seatpost definetly, some raceface crap, the lowest i can put it is around 8 inches from the frame absolute rubbish
  • MrChrisP
    MrChrisP Posts: 321
    Hopefully nothing :lol:

Getting bike back this evening after having a new groupset fitted so everything 'should' be awesome.

Everything else that hasn't been replaced was fine before.
    Kona Stinky Six
    Kona Scrap
    Scott YZ4
  • afcbian
    afcbian Posts: 424
    jjojjas wrote:
    me :lol:

you got there before i did.
    I mean me not you .................. err i am confused now
    I ride therefore I am
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Hope seatclamp.

Mmm

No comment.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    jay12 wrote:
    my whole bloody bike :evil:
    okay lets get started
    frame:too heavy and big
    fork:stanchions are loose and hardly work
    wheels:heavy and are not smooth even after bearing replacment
    shifters:hardly work and are dodgy
    rear mech:dosn't shift correctly
    cassete:heavy and dosn't spin back
    chain:actually it's pretty good
    no front mech
    chainset:heavy and you can't take chainrings off
    brakes;squal in the wet like a woman who just saw a giant spider and don't always work well
    handlebar:heavy and too short
    stem:heavy and i don't like amount of rise on it
    seatpost:dosn't clamp the saddle propley
    saddle:it's basically a brisk in the shape of a saddle
    seat clamp;is awesome
    grips;are getting worn too quickly
    shock:dosn't work
    tyres:are not grippy enough

i think that is it
  • My XT 760 brakes.Like them for their simple set up and ease of use but could use a bit more bite.

Considering Elixirs...
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    My front tyre's got a puncture, so I guess it's that. Or perhaps the Stan's sealant that's failing to stop it from having a puncture. Or my Crudcatcher, which took about an hour with a soldering iron and a load of superglue to make it not wag like a dog's tail.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • 456: saddle (fizik gobi xm) has a snapped rail which needs to be replaced, I'd like to swap the pikes for either some 150mm revs with u-turn and maxle lite, or some fox talas. Rims 719 for 819 but that's a whim over necessity, especially considering they're fine ghetto. I'd like a qr seatclamp (hope/thomson) and a drop post, tech v2 brakes and the new carbon frame. The only likely ones are the frame, seatclamp and saddle though. possibly a drop post!

Inbred: needs a rear brake as cable discs suck, want another elixir cr carbon, forks want a drop in BBMC cartridge, new steerer for the lefty, new grips, frame re-spray. These will all happen.

Pompino: carbon forks, the steel ones just weigh too much...

Jump bike: new wheels at some point and some argyles or the pikes if i ever get revs. maybe some blingage

Rat bike, nothing will probably end up with the parts on the steel 456 frame.
  • ramemtbers
    ramemtbers Posts: 1,562
    hmmm, x9 shifter. (it just needs servicing) but seriously errr my grips, they have worn slightly. :lol:
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    TBH the bike works fine. It just seems to get really heavy when I turn it up a hill. Can't quite put my finger on what it is...
    Not really active
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Hmmmmmmm.......

I really don't know. My GXP BB I guess, it's a bit gritty, and also one side is stuck on. At least that's stopping me replacing it with a Hope one.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    my rockshox tora 318 uturns ...... biggest load of poo since rs judy sl's :roll:

they're heavy, the rebound has a mind of its own, they're too soft in the beggining of the stroke but bottomm out at about 90mm of travel not 130 (this has baffled me for 3 bloody years :() other than that the crack in the clamp of magura louise front brake, currently secured in place with a zip tie, shimano hubs that are shit despite being xt, wheels are too heavy, stem is too long bars arent quite wide enough.

despite all this i love my maxlight tbh, god knows well it would go with better kit :twisted:
  • furby
    furby Posts: 200
    My forks, they have been ragged, and just arnt designed for the sort it riding I have put them through.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    my (ex) white grips. a new set at the end of winter is my birthday treat- they match the stem and saddle again for a while
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Not much wrong with mine really. Parts could be better but nothing needs changing. Might try a wider bar I suppose.
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    I bought some cheapo "profile" Carbon fibre risers that are probably heavier than the kona alloy risers they replaced but I can't bring myself to put them back on as no matter what, I will see it as a backwards step...I will get some decent bars at some point though.

Also my brakes. They actually perform really well with a 200mm disc up front and are manufactured by a reputable company, but they have been rebadged as b...b...bik.......bikeh........bikehu...........BIKEHUT! I can barely even bring myself to say the name damnit!...

Everything else, I'm pretty much happy with :)
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    Gears
  • gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    edited November 2009
    up untill last month it was the raceface bb on the trance x. didn't last long, xt one on now which i know will last.
    also i had use carbon riser bars on it and they ended up in two pieces after an incident with a tree at gisburn forest (def worth a trip by the way). this resulted in me riding 2/3 of the trail with my right hand in its normal position and my left on the inside of the gear shifter. the back brake lever was then pushed into the broken bar with the grip forward of the bar which could be pulled to apply the back brake, nice! need to get the pics off my phone and posted on here. lets just say the rollercoaster was sketchy like that to say the least! luckily i still had my easton alu bars at home so i reckon ill stick with them.

by the way im s@it with computers etc, so the pics could take a while to get on the pc, could i send the pics to someone to put on here please via pic message (the above explanation may not make sense!)
    cheers
    gaz
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se