FFS! Will the bike stop costing me money!

13»

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    NGale wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    NGale wrote:

Unfortutanly with shoes they always have my size (even though my feet are a size 8 to 9 :shock: ) the wallet takes a hit sometimes. :D

I am legally no longer allowed to say things that may cause personal offence to others that I may find incredibly funny.

I have size 8 feet. My feet are apparently small. :x

Yes I know I have big feet for a lass, especially a lass who is only 5'4 tall.

It means I have to buy mens cycling shoes and get very weird looks in sports shops when I buy football boots and ask for a size 9

200px-C-bob.png

:roll:
    :P
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    itboffin wrote:
    NGale wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    NGale wrote:

Unfortutanly with shoes they always have my size (even though my feet are a size 8 to 9 :shock: ) the wallet takes a hit sometimes. :D

I am legally no longer allowed to say things that may cause personal offence to others that I may find incredibly funny.

Yes I know I have big feet for a lass, especially a lass who is only 5'4 tall.

It means I have to buy mens cycling shoes and get very weird looks in sports shops when I buy football boots and ask for a size 9

200px-C-bob.png

:roll:
    :P

Yep and my hair is going some way to looking like that at the moment :lol:

Could be worse though, I don't have size 13 feet like someone else.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    NGale wrote:

Me too... DDD, do you have narrow feet? Or wide feet?
  • Me too... DDD, do you have narrow feet? Or wide feet?
    This sounds like a DDD "Poll" thread title.

Ladies, do your gentlemen have big feet? Yes/No.

Its a roundabout way of asking the question we all know he's been dying to ask.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    NGale wrote:

Are you offering to share your shoes with him? How sweet ;)
  • Aidy wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    NGale wrote:

Are you offering to share your shoes with him? How sweet ;)

Well I've a pair of Mavic shoes that are a bit too narrow for me, I was wondering if DDD wanted to get them second-hand, but you'd have to have narrow feet for them to fit.
  • Aidy
    I have some size 8 shimano touring shoes thinking about it (only a two bolt pattern, though), thinking about it.

Were really too small for me 12 years ago when I bought them, and really too small for me now.

If any of the many size 8 people on this thread are interested, I can have a hunt for them when I'm at my parents next. You could pretty much have them in exchange for some decent cake. Might need new laces though.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    biondino wrote:
    DDD, what I do in the kit stakes is basically keep an eye on the main cycling web retailers and regularly peruse their sale sections. As a result, I have a host of tops and jackets by Cannondale, Descente (my favourite), Castelli and Giordana, all of which are a certain level of quality and which, on average, cost me about 50% less than RRP.

It did mean I bought two hardcore winter jackets in June or whatever, but that's not a problem, especially as I saved over £150 off the recommended combined price.
    !

Those bargains are easy to find if you're size XS or XXL - a lot harder to find bargains in the more popular sizes. I often see stuff well under RRP but then i doubt it was ever actually sold at RRP.

Merlin have a good offer on clothing at the moment - picked up a night vision windstopper for £40 - they're £65 in most places, also £27 for bib tights that are £37 on wiggle.

I've had the same problems with the cost - the start up cost of commuting in terms of all the clothing, lights, tools, etc. has been far higher than I could have anticipated. Need another 8 months or so to catch up against the cost of train tickets,
  • I do rather the same thing as blondie for kit - shop the sales. And to be honest, I think I've reached the 'enough kit' stage, I look at jerseys and tights and bibshorts etc, and just think 'I've got enough of these'.

However, as JG's already said, rotation is key for not wearing stuff out, as is decent kit. I swear by Northwave, the only thing I'm tempted to buy is their 'juliet' bib tights - a renaming of 2008's 'dream lady' bib tights - I'm afraid they'll adopt the stupid booby design like castelli and assos... I love my bib tights...
  • Aidy
    Yeah, add me to the sales hunters and all.

And in the "enough kit now" club, which, certainly in my case, really ends up being "too much kit" :)
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Is there such a thing as "enough kit"? Is it like perfection, or happiness, as long as you keep trying for it you'll never attain it?

that's enough philosophy for tonight :lol:

When I first discovered Wiggle, after I'd made a few big orders I thought right, that's it, I won't need much from them anymore. Years later I'm still throwing money at them and still need more stuff.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    Arriving late to this party!

I think we need to be clearer about discretionary spending. On the gear front, dedicated cycle clothing makes you more comfortable, but it's not essential. If you really don't want to spend money on it then you can get by without. I ride into work in regular cotton polo shirts, 'cos that's what I have, and I ride home in my work shirts- they're going into the wash when I get home anyway, so why carry two? I'm sure that "proper" cycling jerseys would be better, but I don't want the cost & hassle.

Similarly with bikes- we can make a distinction between utility bikes and recreational ones. It's nice to ride a highly tuned road-bike (especially if you're an SCR nut) but I think you have to accept that running a Ferrari as a winter daily driver will be more expensive than a Golf- especially if you get it serviced at the dealership(!).

If you want to control costs, then a more pragmatic approach beckons- you don't have to get a Golf, even a Mercedes or a Jaguar would be more appropriate than the Ferrari...

So, instead of using your "High days and holidays" bike(s?) year round, you go for something from the utility spectrum- At the bottom end you have the Winter Hack- single-speed or fixed, built up from used and commodity parts (1/8" drivetrain, 36-spoke wheels, tough tyres & brakes). Mudguards to keep the salt off the components and so on. Moving up we have the various hybrids/citybikes etc with hub gears or older, more robust derailleurs and so on.
    These bikes don't go out of tune or wear out as fast as lightweights that are really designed for summer weekend use by recreational cyclists. I include fancy off-roaders here, too- they may be built more strongly than road-racers but are more complex (suspension, hydraulic brakes wide-range gears) and almost as vulnerable to the corrosive effects of salt and grit laden spray.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea to commute on a nice bike, just that you should expect it to cost more. It's not as if your pride need take a beating, that's why we have FCNs!

Bikes for fun and bikes for transport... not always the same thing.

Cheers,
    W.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,380
    I do rather the same thing as blondie for kit - shop the sales.

You should look at Wiggle's pricedrop area, full of women's kit

Also someone should start a 'Bargain Hunter'* thread for sale items.

*as distinct from 'Things I Bought'
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Well said as ever Buns
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • I do rather the same thing as blondie for kit - shop the sales.

You should look at Wiggle's pricedrop area, full of women's kit

Also someone should start a 'Bargain Hunter'* thread for sale items.

*as distinct from 'Things I Bought'

Alas I have no need/desire for anything in the pricedrop, although I do keep an eye on it. Thanks though! :)
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    I do rather the same thing as blondie for kit - shop the sales. And to be honest, I think I've reached the 'enough kit' stage, I look at jerseys and tights and bibshorts etc, and just think 'I've got enough of these'.

However, as JG's already said, rotation is key for not wearing stuff out, as is decent kit. I swear by Northwave, the only thing I'm tempted to buy is their 'juliet' bib tights - a renaming of 2008's 'dream lady' bib tights - I'm afraid they'll adopt the stupid booby design like castelli and assos... I love my bib tights...

L-i-T - those Northwave bibs seem to cover a lot of the upper body, do you not find that having to have at least two layers on the top half causes you to overheat. Given that we both seem to have uber-efficient internal furnaces?
  • Coriander wrote:
    I do rather the same thing as blondie for kit - shop the sales. And to be honest, I think I've reached the 'enough kit' stage, I look at jerseys and tights and bibshorts etc, and just think 'I've got enough of these'.

L-i-T - those Northwave bibs seem to cover a lot of the upper body, do you not find that having to have at least two layers on the top half causes you to overheat. Given that we both seem to have uber-efficient internal furnaces?

No, not really, they've got a good vent on the back and another on the torso.

I also wear lighter jerseys than I otherwise would to allow for the extra warmth - a DHB long sleeve jersey with a full zip plus the tights is good at the moment, for example. Nothing else is needed.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Coriander wrote:

No, not really, they've got a good vent on the back and another on the torso.

I also wear lighter jerseys than I otherwise would to allow for the extra warmth - a DHB long sleeve jersey with a full zip plus the tights is good at the moment, for example. Nothing else is needed.

Oh, ok, thanks, m'dear.
  • Edit: posted in wrong thread!
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    pastryboy wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    DDD, what I do in the kit stakes is basically keep an eye on the main cycling web retailers and regularly peruse their sale sections. As a result, I have a host of tops and jackets by Cannondale, Descente (my favourite), Castelli and Giordana, all of which are a certain level of quality and which, on average, cost me about 50% less than RRP.

It did mean I bought two hardcore winter jackets in June or whatever, but that's not a problem, especially as I saved over £150 off the recommended combined price.
    !

Those bargains are easy to find if you're size XS or XXL - a lot harder to find bargains in the more popular sizes. I often see stuff well under RRP but then i doubt it was ever actually sold at RRP.

You're right, to an extent, but I'm L to XL in cycling gear and it just means you have to keep a closer eye, or plough through more listings - the bargains are there.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    DDD, what have you done to a brake caliper to make it seize?
    biondino wrote:
    DDD, what I do in the kit stakes is basically keep an eye on the main cycling web retailers and regularly peruse their sale sections.!
    For the weak-willed this is an invitation to spend more than you need to.

Commuting needn't cost a packet, though as others have said, comfort (particularly over longer distances) can prompt clothing purchases one might manage without otherwise. Having said that, my secondhand mitts, 3 year old Altura Cruiser leggings and old trainers are still intact. The Aldi gloves and secondhand Winter Cruisers are for colder days, my PI Amphibs (for sub-zero days) were a Crimbo present. I expect my Gill jacket to last a long time, just as my 15 year old Buffalo windshirt has done.

For the bike regular preventative maintenance (mainly wash and lube) reduces wear and tear. My SCR2 has done 18 months and 6,000 miles in all weathers, including weeks and weeks on salt-encrusted roads last winter, yet it's only now needing a new chain & cassette plus gear cables at the back, and is ready for its third pair of brake pads.

Tyres don't have to be expensive - I picked up a pair of Rubino Pros on offer and Race X Lite Hardcase when they were £12 each. Spare inner tubes last for ever. Pads are £4/pair for standard ones but I'm changing to Kool-Stop (£7/pair). Not exactly a wallet-emptying expense.

It's like personal finances. There are people here at work who earn a lot more than me who are always moaning about being broke, but they run 2 cars every day, go abroad on holiday etc. You want cheaper commuting? The answer is to spend less money on it... but choose wisely, Grasshopper.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I think any but the strongest-willed will be able to live up to the ascetic standards you've managed to adhere to! Chapeau, though.

Also, some of us weak-willed folk like to be tempted :)
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I tend to buy most of my kit when it's on offer.

Although if something is a bargain I struggle to resist it, especially sub £50 items. I've not paid anywhere near RRP for any of my stuff.

My best bargain was a pair of Northwave Typhoon SBS carbon soled road shoes for £12 from Wiggle. I did really need those, I had put a hole in my other pair of Typhoons.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    biondino wrote:
    Also, some of us weak-willed folk like to be tempted :)
    Oh I know :) but that wasn't what DDD was saying. Was it?
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • @DDD: tomorrow, Sat 28. De Ver. One day half price sale.

Don't miss this one.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Went to Condor and bought a pair of these Shimano R132

For £50

I like Shimano shoes and always wanted a pair with a carbon fibre/composite sole and they didn't have the specialized ones in my size.

Also happened to buy Gore gloves and a Conti 4 season tyre for the front wheel.

Now need, cleats and jacket.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Look up, DDD.

No, you fool! Not at the ceiling!

Look up the page...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Greg66 wrote:
    Look up, DDD.

No, you fool! Not at the ceiling!

Look up the page...

Phoned them, said its a clearance on many things 25% off i.e. (and I quote) "Clothing, bike things, flooring the breath in our lungs".

But thanks for that tidbit. Going to plan my day around that now.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game