FFS! Will the bike stop costing me money!

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited November 2009 in Commuting chat
If I had one wish in life it would be that the P*fairy was a dude, whom I would promptly punch square in the face.

My first p* of the commute. During the tube change I realised how badly gashed my front tyre is and how the walls were frayed and flaking off. New tyre is needed. Then when fiddling with the quick release of the brake I noticed that it was working and the wire could do with replacing. New brake and wires.

I wouldn't mind but so close to X-mas, this sucks (I don't want my presents used on bike repairs).

So all in all what I now need done or buy is the following:

New front brake & 4 brake pads
Tyre and new tubes
Bottom bracket
Full service with wires

In addition to this I also need:

Bag
Shoes & cleats
overshoes
Jacket
Gloves

And yes all of these things I now need over and above the things I actually want for my bike or bike related clothing.

Seriously, if this was a car I'd probably have let it go by now.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    No you wouldn't. My three- the Dahons particularly- have been (in a sense) money pits. But when everything's working right, I can't begrudge the expense.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I don't think I've spent any of my disposable money on anything but bike stuff since this time last year, tis a fact of life.

I still need;

Long sleeve jerseys
    Mudguards
    Waterproof jacket
    New winter gloves
    New chain
    New cassette
    4x brake pads
    New bar tape
    New saddle
    and a new helmet

and I'm going to buy some lube now, because my bike squeaked all the way to work this morning because I forgot to relube last night and I'm not putting up with it all the way home. It's handy having lube at work though int it. :D
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    edited November 2009
    I save £220 per month over the train BUT I spend upwards of this on the bike :lol:

If it makes you feel better DDD have just ordered:

Pads back and front. Only lasted 2 months!
    1x Conti Gatorskin tyre (ripped one after 600 miles, grrrr)
    Hope 1 front light (mate got turned into with the same light as me (Cat 135), time for an upgrade to get seen from the front!)
    4x Expensive rechargeable AA Batteries for above light.
    SPD pedals & shoes (ok non essential items ;) )

Still need a new spare tube, wet lube, waterproof gloves, inevitably followed by booties, arg, endless!
  • Or buy the cables not the whole brake and do the replacement yourself? It's not actually that hard... And repair rather than replace the bag?

Shoes and a jacket are both good presents, you can buy the cleats, they're not too dear.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    DonDaddyD wrote:

So all in all what I now need done or buy is the following:

New front brake & 4 brake pads
    Tyre and new tubes
    Bottom bracket
    Full service with wires

In addition to this I also need:

Bag
    Shoes & cleats
    overshoes
    Jacket
    Gloves

And yes all of these things I now need over and above the things I actually want for my bike or bike related clothing.

As you're new to cycling (I take it you're new to all of this :wink: ) things like shoes/cleats,
    overshoes, jacket, gloves etc, once purchased you won't have to think about replacing
    them (wear & tear etc) for quite a long time. Tyres, tubes, cables etc are consumables
    and have to be replaced from time to time. That's normal. :roll: :wink:
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    The bike is not costing you money.
    A lot of beginners seem to think that cycling is free, well it isn't as you're finding out. Bits wear and need replacing. They do this a lot if you use the bike every day.
    However, you still couldn't run a car for that money, so quit whining. Didn't you say your new job pays better?
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Cars cost more, even when you don't use them....

Those bits sound like normal wear and tear...
  • DonDaddyD
    edited November 2009
    LiT's, the whole brake mechanism is screwed.

I need a new jacket my white one is falling apart and my black one is too ninja.

I'll take a view on the shoes, need to pick the right family member to get them for me.
    maander wrote:

As you're new to cycling (I take it you're new to all of this :wink: ) things like shoes/cleats,
    overshoes, jacket, gloves etc, once purchased you won't have to think about replacing
    them (wear & tear etc) for quite a long time. Tyres, tubes, cables etc are consumables

Cleats wear out. I bought my shoes last year when I bought my bike and they're splitting at the heel. My gloves bought December last year and my Altura jacket again bought last year needs replacing.

I may just start forking out on things like Castelli and Gore if it means they'll last longer.

The bike is two years old and I need to replace the entire front brake mechanism. The bottom bracket, having just replaced the original in the summer along with the crank now needs another one. Of all my bikes I've had previous I've never had to replace so much so frequently.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    @DDD that's just normal wear and tear count yourself lucky I had to have two new tyres for my car @ £160 each :shock:

My advise for winter riding if you insist on using a geared bike, cheap tyres like michelin lithion or schwalbe stelvio both of which I use, cables cost £2-3 which you can fit yourself but as for your BB spend some cash on a descent serviceable model with sealed cups like the ace Token CNC with ceramic bearings ooooow! cost me £60
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    LiT's, the whole bike mechanism is screwed.

I need a new jacket my white one is falling apart and my black one is too ninja.

I'll take a view on the shoes, need to pick the right family member to get them for me.

'The whole bike mechanism is screwed'? They're brakes, there's only so much that can go wrong... Cables are very cheap indeed...

I sense someone just wants to go shopping...
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

'The whole bike mechanism is screwed'? They're brakes, there's only so much that can go wrong... Cables are very cheap indeed...

Typo, I meant to say brake.
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Typo, I meant to say brake.

OK, but still... what could possibly go wrong? Unless they've actually fallen apart...
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    DonDaddyD wrote:

maander wrote:

Cleats wear out. I bought my shoes last year when I bought my bike and they're splitting at the heel. My gloves bought December last year and my Altura jacket again bought last year needs replacing.

I may just start forking out on things like Castelli and Gore if it means they'll last longer.
    Whoa, that's a high attrition rate. Quite surprised the shoes are giving up in just over a year.

Don't hate me for saying this but you need more kit. Doesn't have to be expensive but rotation means they last longer. The white Altura, that's the rain cape yes? Not really designed to be an everyday jacket.

Edit: fix the bag, fix the bag, fix the bag ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,380
    Tank of Petrol costs £60

I'm using a tank a week

Need job closer to home so can commute by bike regularly rather than occasionally :cry:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    edited November 2009
    JonGinge wrote:
    Don't hate me for saying this but you need more kit. Doesn't have to be expensive but rotation means they last longer. The white Altura, that's the rain cape yes? Not really designed to be an everyday jacket.

+1 to all that. I've never worn out a pair of bike shoes, but then I have 5.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,210
    edited November 2009
    As has been touched on above, if having a bike enables you to not have a car (or run one less car in the household) then you should be way up on the deal. Especially compared to a fun/hobby/sports type car that gets modded/accessories bought for it etc etc. I have seen some truly shocking car related costs, including from personal experience: even running high spec bikes is a cheap activity by comparison :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    My bike costs me very little to maintain.

Might start costing me more when I get back on it :shock:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • jonginge
    JonGinge wrote:

Was about to say that is more than me but then I totted them up :oops:
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • JonGinge wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

And one of mine is a pair of sandals which technically aren't shoes at all... sort of. :P
  • DonDaddyD
    OK at this point I'm just ranting, partly because of the outlay and because of the p*.

All advice welcome.

ITB, on geared bikes. I think I may have to get the single speed back off my uncle.

Jon, I was planning on getting more kit, but the money for that is now being diverted to repairs :x

I went into Condor yesterday, making mental notes of all the stuff I was going to buy, it was going to be momentus (for me anyway). Now not so much. But yeah, I need more kit, winter kit specifically. I think the CC-UK and Speg stuff was good for starters but I need to beef the wardrobe up a little more.

Still got to service the bike though.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015

I have, took about 4 years though. And they were a cheap set, which were dragged through a lot of mud.

Also with the 5 sets now (it's a good number). Sandals are looking like they're up for replacement, though.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    JonGinge wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

JonGinge is a gurl.
  • Aidy wrote:

I have, took about 4 years though. And they were a cheap set, which were dragged through a lot of mud.

Also with the 5 sets now (it's a good number). Sandals are looking like they're up for replacement, though.

Yeah, mine are looking a bit tired, problem is that I've 2 pairs of SPD winter shoes, and 2 pairs of speedplay shoes which are fine all year round, but only 1 pair of sandals, so from about may until about october I'm wearing the sandals with no rotation.
  • jonginge
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Jon, I was planning on getting more kit, but the money for that is now being diverted to repairs :x

I went into Condor yesterday, making mental notes of all the stuff I was going to buy, it was going to be momentus (for me anyway). Now not so much. But yeah, I need more kit, winter kit specifically. I think the CC-UK and Speg stuff was good for starters but I need to beef the wardrobe up a little more.

Fair enough. It takes a while to accumulate a mountain of kit ;)

Winter kit is tricky. It's all too easy to get clothes that are too warm. Now, I have some great jackets but, realistically, I only wear them a few times a year. Not at all so far winter, it's not been cold enough. For me, the best items to spend on are gloves and overshoes: there's nothing worse than having cold hands and feet... Then it's a case of working out which weight of LS jersey, tights (or 3/4s, or shorts and warmers) combo suits you best for the average british winter
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • DonDaddyD
    JonGinge wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Fair enough. It takes a while to accumulate a mountain of kit ;)

Winter kit is tricky. It's all too easy to get clothes that are too warm. Now, I have some great jackets but, realistically, I only wear them a few times a year. Not at all so far winter, it's not been cold enough. For me, the best items to spend on are gloves and overshoes: there's nothing worse than having cold hands and feet... Then it's a case of working out which weight of LS jersey, tights (or 3/4s, or shorts and warmers) combo suits you best for the average british winter

Thanks for the advice!
    Food Chain number = 4

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    linsen wrote:
    My bike costs me very little to maintain.

Might start costing me more when I get back on it :shock:

:lol:
  • most of that is stuff you can repair or replace with cheaper for winter. a broken zip is not hard to replace, you can buy training tires for £20 a pair.

plus as LIT says learning how to do stuff. why does the bike need a service? i'd take a bike in for a bottom bracket but not for brakes or gears unless it foxed me in which case I'd tak it in for that bit.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    My bike would cost me a lot less if I did not lose stuff when drunk. I have done this twice now:

Agree to a few drinks, take bike with after work, lock up and remove saddle bag, end up having a skinful, go to nightclub, get cab home, lose/have stolen saddle bag/ruck sack at some point.

The last time I did this I lost a rucksack containg two tubes, crank brothers tool (the best one), saddle bag, pricey pump and work shoes.

The shame when one wakes up feeling crappy and totting up cost of drinks, cabs and bike gear losses is high. :oops:
  • jonginge
    most of that is stuff you can repair or replace with cheaper for winter. a broken zip is not hard to replace, you can buy training tires for £20 a pair.

plus as LIT says learning how to do stuff. why does the bike need a service? i'd take a bike in for a bottom bracket but not for brakes or gears unless it foxed me in which case I'd tak it in for that bit.
    Even bottom brackets are ok so long as you have the tools and the confidence. Again, building up a store of tools takes a while... then rebuilding the cache when the spec on components change :x
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • DonDaddyD
    Sewinman wrote:
    My bike would cost me a lot less if I did not lose stuff when drunk. I have done this twice now:

Agree to a few drinks, take bike with after work, lock up and remove saddle bag, end up having a skinful, go to nightclub, get cab home, lose/have stolen saddle bag/ruck sack at some point.

The last time I did this I lost a rucksack containg two tubes, crank brothers tool (the best one), saddle bag, pricey pump and work shoes.

The shame when one wakes up feeling crappy and totting up cost of drinks, cabs and bike gear losses is high. :oops:

The woman in the Griffin uses your pump for one of her routines, you should ask her about it and demand the rest of your stuff back!

:lol:
    Food Chain number = 4