Have you a no weight gain over xmas contingency plan ?

JimmyK
JimmyK Posts: 712
last year over xmas and into the new year, i gained 6 lbs in weight :x

im determined not to let that happen again this time. the weather in n.ireland has been atrocious for cycling , talk about windy :shock: , id be taking my life in my hands if i went out in that.

ive got my pro fitness X bike in the corner of my living room , its a great exercise bike that practically folds away into a straight line and very wife friendly (thank god ). If its blastin gales outside , then i can still burn off those calories until i get days that are suitable for road cycling.when the black ice starts to cover the roads in december/jan , then ive got my trusty X bike as backup.

Have you got a no weight gain contingency plan ?

Jimmy

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Don't eat or drink too much.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I gained that much in the last week alone.

Back into the gym and onto the turbo for me....starting today.

Avoid as much alcohol as you can (over the holidays) and stay away from the sweets. Fill up on your Christmas Dinner - it's one meal that can't hurt you that much!
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I find if I eat crap and drink lots I don't find I don't pile on the weight. Then again, I don't totally halt riding for christmas maybe that's why. Last year I did a 50 mile ride to burn my crimbo dinner off on crimbo day.
  • giantsasquatch
    giantsasquatch Posts: 381
    edited November 2009
    Embrace and cycle whatever the weather. I have cycled 4 hours every night last week and got soaked on windswept moors every time. It never let up start to finish. It was like surfing in the sea. Cold weather cycling burns more calories. I be cycling even on Christmas Day.

Cycling very often at high cadence burns the weight off. Keeps your metabolism high.

You can get fat from undereating too much, due to the body wanting to hold onto the fat, you see your weight go down but it mainly water. Never skip breakfast. Eat a good carb breakfast like oats with fruit and yoghurt. Don't eat alot carbs at night unless you riding the following day.

Especially after cycling.
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Cycling very often at high cadence burns the weight off. Keeps your metabolism high.

Cadence is irrelevant. It's the effort/power that's important.
  • giantsasquatch
    edited November 2009
    Bhima wrote:

110RPM at a slightly lighter able effort will burn more calories than 80RPM at a harder effort. There is more motion. Heart and lungs are working out more which is what burns fat. A higher intensity of the heart and lungs.
  • Treat it like any other time of the year. Might even get out on the roads or turbo on christmas day.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Thanks to the municifance of my coach, Christmas is a rest day for me this year so I'll eat drinka nd make merry. How much damage can you really do ina day? The rest of the time I'll adopt the attitude I adopt the rest of the year "if you don't burn it, don't eat it (except on Friday nights)"
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Bhima wrote:

110RPM at a slightly lighter able effort will burn more calories than 80RPM at a harder effort. There is more motion. Heart and lungs are working out more which is what burns fat. A higher intensity of the heart and lungs.

Have you got any links to any Peer reviewed researched?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Pokerface
    Bhima wrote:

Hate to admit this - but Bhima is right.

The power produced (no matter what the cadence) is what determines how many calories are burned. Been through this many, many times before. And heart rate is irrelevant to determining calories burned.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Embrace and cycle whatever the weather. I have cycled 4 hours every night last week and got soaked on windswept moors every time. It never let up start to finish. It was like surfing in the sea. Cold weather cycling burns more calories. I be cycling even on Christmas Day.

You can get fat from undereating too much, due to the body wanting to hold onto the fat, you see your weight go down but it mainly water. Never skip breakfast. Eat a good carb breakfast like oats with fruit and yoghurt. Don't eat alot carbs at night unless you riding the following day.

Especially after cycling.

Define high cadence as a number, please...

You can get fat from undereating too much[/b :shock:

Yeah, I noticed that a lot when travelling through Africa and parts of India...
    Evidentally famine is not all it's cracked up to be... :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • JimmyK wrote:
    Have you got a no weight gain contingency plan ?
    Jimmy

Running, basically. I always spend Xmas in the Lake District so am itching to get out running in the fells every day, including the 25th. I eat and drink a huge amount, as is proper over the festive season, but never put on weight (not that I'm aware of anyway, I don't own a set of scales). Not an ideal solution for everyone, but it works for me, and I still take my bike anyway in case the weather's not that bad (hahahahaha).

I'll go now and let you get back to this cadence discussion, which I feel could run and run...
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Pokerface wrote:

Avoid as much alcohol as you can (over the holidays) and stay away from the sweets. Fill up on your Christmas Dinner - it's one meal that can't hurt you that much!

Wow! A calorie excess of around 3000 calories per day! :shock:
    More problems but still living....
  • In absolute figures yes, calorie use is power output. But how do measure it...

Power at the wheel will not take into accout the efficiency of the human body at different cadences. Take three extremes, 20rpm, your ideal cadence, 200rpm...

All turning the wheel over at the same speed against the resistance (ignoring drivetrain stuff) Which is easiest? At your ideal cadence... Because you're producing that in the most efficient way, so you'll consume the fewest calories.
  • Pokerface
    In absolute figures yes, calorie use is power output. But how do measure it...

Power at the wheel will not take into accout the efficiency of the human body at different cadences. Take three extremes, 20rpm, your ideal cadence, 200rpm...

All turning the wheel over at the same speed against the resistance (ignoring drivetrain stuff) Which is easiest? At your ideal cadence... Because you're producing that in the most efficient way, so you'll consume the fewest calories.

Simply put - you will not produce the same amount of power at 20 RPM as you will at 200RPM. The resistance will not allow you to. Gearing on a road bike can't accommodate such a wide range.

Read this thread for the whole debate on power vs calories burned, etc: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... ower+watts
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Is getting a compact better for burning calories then ?
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    dmclite wrote:

NO... A triple would be better as it is heavier, therefore you would expend more energy per revolution... innit :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    dmclite wrote:

I'm sure it's a standard crank-set that burns the most calories, I've read about it somewhere, just can't remember where right now.
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • Pokerface
    amaferanga wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Wow! A calorie excess of around 3000 calories per day! :shock:

More like a few days with a 5000 calorie deficit, but yeah.... :shock:
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    i like to contract a dose of food poisoning shortly after new year. take the leg off a turkey on xmas day, pop it on top of the boiler and leave it. eat on2nd/3rd Jan and hey presto, weight falls off.....
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    DaSy wrote:
    dmclite wrote:

I'm sure it's a standard crank-set that burns the most calories, I've read about it somewhere, just can't remember where right now.

Yea, I read that as well. I suppose thats why all the pro riders are so thin, having to turn those heavier cranks around.
  • Oh yes it's in a hand cart waiting departure to Hell.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    i'm taking my bike back to my folks' place in Dorset. I'm not wasting the opportunity to fly around rural lanes the second i leave the driveway instead of having to fight for 20 miles to get out of london and still be plagued by traffic!

In fact, my Xmas AM ride is possibly the thing i'm looking forward to most out of the entire break. All those empty roads.... :) it'd better not rain.
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    A standard double will have more rotational mass when spun at a higher cadence wont it ?

Also what about rotor q rings ? High or low cadence ? Can these be related ?
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996

Can you roast bananas?
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    dmclite wrote:
    A standard double will have more rotational mass when spun at a higher cadence wont it ?

Depends - only if it is Campy.
  • oddly it's the time of year i lose weight - cos i'm outside doing stuff every day, not sat behind a desk.
  • Power meter are great for serious improvement but we can't all afford power meter's. The poor OP is just asking to lose FAT. Pedalling at a higher cadence than your body is used to, is more demanding, requires lots more energy and so will burn more fat stores overall. Period.

The closer you go to your maximum heartrate, the more calories are burned. That's a given more often than not.

Establishing your maximum heart rate and training at high intensity with or without heart rate monitors has had good success to burn off fat long before power meters came onto the horizon.

If you get efficient at the same cycling distance, road then no HR is not a good indication of calories burned. Pedalling faster or doing something different that the body hasn't adapted to is a great way to burn off fat.
  • Pokerface
    Power meter are great for serious improvement but we can't all afford power meter's. The poor OP is just asking to lose FAT. Pedalling at a higher cadence than your body is used to, is more demanding, requires lots more energy and so will burn more fat stores overall. Period.

The closer you go to your maximum heartrate, the more calories are burned. That's a given more often than not.

Establishing your maximum heart rate and training at high intensity with or without heart rate monitors has had good success to burn off fat long before power meters came onto the horizon.

If you get efficient at the same cycling distance, road then no HR is not a good indication of calories burned. Pedalling faster or doing something different that the body hasn't adapted to is a great way to burn off fat.

Actually, the OP wasn't asking about burning off fat.

He was asking about keeping off WEIGHT and burning CALORIES.

And burning calories is directly related to power produced - nothing to do with heart rate.

But you don't need a HR monitor or a power meter to do this. Just go out and ride your bike regularly and you'll keep burning calories.

Pretty much everything else you said is just plain wrong. Sorry.
  • giantsasquatch
    edited November 2009
    You can get fat from undereating too much.
    hopper1 wrote:

Yeah, I noticed that a lot when travelling through Africa and parts of India...
    Evidentally famine is not all it's cracked up to be... :wink:

There is a total difference between dropping your calories suddenly after a good diet and the starvation of many months and years of people in third world countries. When you suddenly drop too many calories the body starts storing more fat. Poor famine people have used up much of there fat because the calorie intake is so low for so long.

Starvation diets don't work short term. You pile the weight back.