Hillingdon Winter Series

124»

Comments

• jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    felgen wrote:
    incog24 wrote:
    Hog Hill is more hilly than the relatively flat Hillingdon circuit... hence the 'Hoggenberg' moniker, if you are strong or more of a mountain goat, then it might be for you as the hil tends to help with selectin out the stronger riders avoiding finish line binnage.

I'd say Hog Hill was the better circuit, but it's also the only circuit I've crashed on - the hills mean that you have can very fast descents if you're racing with E/1's and if you're stretching it's easy to go too hard into the corners.

The more selective nature of Hog Hill I think means E/1/2/3 races were very sparsely entered by 3rd's. However I believe the winter series this year is a Handicap, and I've no idea how well that's working, certainly going to make for a very different race to Hillingdon so I'd more say which sort of race you like, rather than which circuit.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    jibberjim wrote:
    felgen wrote:
    incog24 wrote:
    Hog Hill is more hilly than the relatively flat Hillingdon circuit... hence the 'Hoggenberg' moniker, if you are strong or more of a mountain goat, then it might be for you as the hil tends to help with selectin out the stronger riders avoiding finish line binnage.

I'd say Hog Hill was the better circuit, but it's also the only circuit I've crashed on....
    So does that mean Kitsmead lane doesn't count :roll:
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • jibberjim
    felgen wrote:
    jibberjim wrote:
    felgen wrote:
    incog24 wrote:

I'd say Hog Hill was the better circuit, but it's also the only circuit I've crashed on....
    So does that mean Kitsmead lane doesn't count :roll:

That's a road, not a circuit :) And unlke Hog Hill, it wasn't my fault!
  • jibberjim
    incog24 wrote:
    slightly off topic, has anyone raced at hog hill and hillingdon? I'm equidistant from them so as they're on the same days (bit silly...)

Hillingdon can't usually have racing on sundays, the council like to keep it for other uses or something. Not sure about Hog Hill.
  • rjeffroy
    rjeffroy Posts: 638
    However I believe the winter series this year is a Handicap, and I've no idea how well that's working

I rode the e123 handicap a couple of weeks ago. Started with about 15 3rds, maybe half a dozen each of 1sts and 2nds and a single elite, 30 seconds between each group.

3rds not just stayed away but increased our lead, finish was an all 3rd cat affair (about 10 left in the bunch by then)

Didn't race last week but story was a couple of 2nds managed to bridge the gap (one went on to win), otherwise an all 3rd cat bunch sprint.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    jibberjim wrote:
    incog24 wrote:
    slightly off topic, has anyone raced at hog hill and hillingdon? I'm equidistant from them so as they're on the same days (bit silly...)

Hillingdon can't usually have racing on sundays, the council like to keep it for other uses or something. Not sure about Hog Hill.

I've been to races at Hogg Hill on a Sunday. They were Jnr and Vet races though (not me racing in either category).
  • incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    rjeffroy wrote:
    However I believe the winter series this year is a Handicap, and I've no idea how well that's working

I rode the e123 handicap a couple of weeks ago. Started with about 15 3rds, maybe half a dozen each of 1sts and 2nds and a single elite, 30 seconds between each group.

3rds not just stayed away but increased our lead, finish was an all 3rd cat affair (about 10 left in the bunch by then)

Didn't race last week but story was a couple of 2nds managed to bridge the gap (one went on to win), otherwise an all 3rd cat bunch sprint.

Aside from fatigue issues, are you allowed to race both races? I might not be able to make any impact but I'd stand a decent chance of hanging on I think.
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk
  • Looks like the Hillingdon series is a lot more popular than Hog Hill, what are the main reasons for this?
  • jibberjim
    Looks like the Hillingdon series is a lot more popular than Hog Hill, what are the main reasons for this?

I think it's just the relative number of riders within easy reach.
  • Dess1e
    Dess1e Posts: 239
    Flatter circuit = better suited to beginners and beter for speed work for experianced riders.

More established series.

Points not sure - it may have driven riders not to ride HH, but when Hilligdon had less points on offer in previous seasons, they've still got higher numbers, so I'd say that doesn't attract them.

League format - IS HH run on this basis?
  • tomb8555
    tomb8555 Posts: 229
    What do we reckon, going to run tomorrow?
  • tomb8555
    tomb8555 Posts: 229
    Cool. See you there!
  • felgen
    So, who's up for the double header this weekend? I hope to make one of them, but pesky work is getting in the way for the first time in the series...
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • double header?
  • felgen
    Well, what I meant was two races in a row...
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Dess1e
    Dess1e Posts: 239
    Tooooooo cold to race bring on the summer !!

+1. We must be getting old.
  • I hope everyone in that pileup in the 4th cat race on Saturday is ok - it didn't look or sound good from where I was.
  • I hope everyone in that pileup in the 4th cat race on Saturday is ok - it didn't look or sound good from where I was.

One of the reasons why I don't like racing at Hillingdon!
  • It's a shame, it seems that some people are willing to die to get a top 10 place.
  • I would die to get a top 20 place :lol:

No just joking --- how hard is the hill at the Hillingdon winter series ?
  • incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    What hill?
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Well its not really a hill, just an uphill drag bit for about 300m :D
    It can be enough to cause splits in a hard race, especially if into a headwind, it also menas you have to be in the right position for the sprint as it is not the easiest place to go charging through at the end which is why there always seems to be crashes there as riders go through the twisty bit.
    the only times I have ridden there, if I am not in the front 10 going round last bend I do not even contest the finish, no point and can get silly.