Hillingdon Winter Series

incog24
incog24 Posts: 549
edited January 2010 in Amateur race
I'm thinking of heading down to a few of these to try and get my 3rd Cat before the end of the season. Does anyone know what the standard is like? I could see it going two ways, people being unfit out of season, or a load of really up for it guys wanting to do exactly the same as me!

Any information appreciated :)
Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    You might want to check with BC whether points gained in December count towards the current year or the following one - I seem to remember being told that they'd count towards the following year, in which case you may already be too late to get the last points you need to get 3rd cat.
  • incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    Hmm interesting. I suppose that might be the case actually. Not a massive issue, I'll just have to focus on getting all of them in that series. Anyone got any idea about the standard?
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    It is only 10 points anyway so win and either way your a third :D
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Anyone know if they'll be having any kids races beforehand? I think they did last winter, nothing showing on BC website yet.
  • Dess1e
    Dess1e Posts: 239
    Try the Imperial RT website. I think the sprogs races start in Jan.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Dess1e wrote:
    Try the Imperial RT website. I think the sprogs races start in Jan.

Thanks just checked. Start 9th Jan, weekly for 6 weeks. Finish on 13th Feb.

You never know I may be tempted to pop my cherry in the 4th cats by the end of the series.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    First race is 5th December, 4ths start at 13.00pm. No idea whether points count to licenece this or next year, or if at all.
    http://www.imperialracingteam.com/imper ... /index.htm
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    I did this series last year and its great fun and very well organised, Only downers are weather (natch) and circuits a bit tight so need to keep wits about you.

Dont know about closing off this season but do know its a good way to get into racing as you can get enough points early on to move from 4th to 3rd,

And bit puzzled by note about lack of kids races cos they did happen last year, friend of mine sons took part (though might just have been jan onwards like earlier poster says)
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    When I entered the series which started in Dec 2007, my points in those races counted towards the 2008 season, so the points I picked up in two races in Dec 07, and two races in Jan 08 meant that I was 3rd Cat for 2008.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I'm heading down for the 4th Cat race on the 5th. Feeling a bit nervous as my "training" regime over the last 6 months has basically involved sitting on my ass and drinking beer inbetween commutes to work :/

Should be a good way to kickstart winter :)
  • so- how did everybody get on?

cat 3 and 4 was chaotic. The 3's catching 4's and never really riding through/4's backing off.

Also last 2-3 laps for the 4's they'd caught the 3's back up so by the time it came the sprint- everyone was sprinting into the back of the 3's! It was a mess!

A couple of crashes in the first 5 laps, apart from that a few wobbles everybody stayed upright. Bike handling overall shocking- no news there. Hope whoever fell is ok.

how did the E12s get on?
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    Ironman595 wrote:
    so- how did everybody get on?

cat 3 and 4 was chaotic.?
    Yep, was a bit of a farce in 3/4 - I guess the commissaire needs to have a stern word with those in the 4ths race who didn't back off from the 3rds and/or DQ them if they do it again. Having said that a lot of people would have been in their first race and may not have appreciated that whilst the 3's and 4's were on the track at the same time they are two completely different races. It was pretty confusing for both groups.

I did okay though, and it was good to see a chocker turn out - cycling is getting pretty popular these days!

p.s. Saw a few of the G.S. Henley guys out there yesterday.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • tomb8555
    tomb8555 Posts: 229
    felgen wrote:
    Ironman595 wrote:
    so- how did everybody get on?

cat 3 and 4 was chaotic.?
    Yep, was a bit of a farce in 3/4 - I guess the commissaire needs to have a stern word with those in the 4ths race who didn't back off from the 3rds and/or DQ them if they do it again. Having said that a lot of people would have been in their first race and may not have appreciated that whilst the 3's and 4's were on the track at the same time they are two completely different races. It was pretty confusing for both groups.

I did okay though, and it was good to see a chocker turn out - cycling is getting pretty popular these days!

p.s. Saw a few of the G.S. Henley guys out there yesterday.

I think the main problem with not easing up was that there was a 4/5 man break up the road when the 3rds caught up (don't think they'd been caught by that point, not sure)..
    Then when they were caught and the 4ths sat up properly, a couple tried to sneak in with the 3rds.
  • I'm a GS Henley rider... that was our first ever race with the club/kit ever...

We haven't had our official launch yet, I think Jan 9th is when we expect to have a good presence down for the series.

It'll be interesting because there are a few cat1/2 and elite standard guys that will be starting off in the cat4s...

I think if it hadn't taken so long for the 3s to pass there would have been plenty of space for our sprint- but your right, I don't think the 3s coming through had realised we didn't want to ease up because there was a break being pulled back in.

Still enjoyed it- results are through, Im sure I was top5 and I'm not even in top 10!! Definitely a confusing finish- braking the last 10m to the line from stopping myself from going into the back of the 3s must have caught me out!

See you next week!
    Tom
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    Ironman595 wrote:
    I'm a GS Henley rider... that was our first ever race with the club/kit ever...
    Still enjoyed it- results are through, Im sure I was top5 and I'm not even in top 10!! Definitely a confusing finish- braking the last 10m to the line from stopping myself from going into the back of the 3s must have caught me out!

See you next week!
    Tom
    Yeah I had done some homework on GS Henley, shame you werent up and running as a club when I was living there! At least you have plenty of hills and great roads to train on round there, so I am sure you will make a good showing in January if not before.

Tom, given your Box Hill time I am sure you will be contesting in the E123 soon, but its not all about going fast on your own as you just found out - luck plays a big part but if you are good enough then you will be at or around the front picking up points regularly.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Very true felgen- I was feeling fresh in the last 5 laps and had spent most of the time in my small chainring just ticking over but lack of experience on the circuit let my position slip and never really knew when to sprint.

Next time I think I might go on a few breaks just for the hell of it and start "racing" rather than sitting in the group getting a half hearted workout :wink:

Who do you ride for now felgen?

We are very lucky with roads around here, plenty of climbing here- GS will be running a 10mile TT up stonor valley/Pishill next year too- I don't think theres a more challenging course around! You'll have to pop over sometime.

Cheers
    Tom
  • tomb8555
    Ironman595 wrote:

Next time I think I might go on a few breaks just for the hell of it and start "racing" rather than sitting in the group getting a half hearted workout :wink:

ha that was my plan.. i've only done 1 race before so I thought I'd mess about a bit instead of just sitting in......

left me fairly tired by the last 3 laps though! I think that was mainly from trying to solo bridge across to that 4 man break about halfway through when they were quite far away! Fun though.
  • tomb855- were you riding a red/black cervelo or wearing yellow?
  • tomb8555
    Ironman595 wrote:
    tomb855- were you riding a red/black cervelo or wearing yellow?

No, I was wearing a red/yellow hammer nutrition jersey on a white cannondale. How about you?
  • GS Henley (black/orange/white) on a white look 595. look forward to breaking with you next time :wink:
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Ironman595 wrote:

It'll be interesting because there are a few cat1/2 and elite standard guys that will be starting off in the cat4s...

confused - why would E/1/2s want to ride as 4th cats...?? Unless their entitlement has lapsed, then I think the lowest they could drop to is 3rd anyway....
  • Softlad- They are e/1/2 "standard" but have never raced before... so starting as 4ths...

We've got the a couple of guys that finished top 2 in the cent cols this year and a few decent Ironman's, with a few doing sub 21/22min 10tt's... MIke (probably our quickest rider, did 45min up alp d'huez the end of the marmotte- but he's never raced, so he'll start in the 4ths.
  • oldwelshman
    Ironman595 wrote:
    Softlad- They are e/1/2 "standard" but have never raced before... so starting as 4ths...

We've got the a couple of guys that finished top 2 in the cent cols this year and a few decent Ironman's, with a few doing sub 21/22min 10tt's... MIke (probably our quickest rider, did 45min up alp d'huez the end of the marmotte- but he's never raced, so he'll start in the 4ths.

45 mins at the end of the marmotte? Forget Hillingdon he should be in this years TDF.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Ironman595 wrote:
    Softlad- They are e/1/2 "standard" but have never raced before... so starting as 4ths...

45 mins at the end of the marmotte? Forget Hillingdon he should be in this years TDF.

Faster than LeMond and Hinault's best times too :roll:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    Yep, a fast ascent indeed, it would get him in the top 30 recorded pro times and half of them were doped up to get those times

4th to Elite or 1st cat in one season should be no problem for your man, nice one
  • I't may have been 47min then- but it was def sub 50...

Our same man came top in the cent cols...

A qoute from Tim in 2nd, another 4th cat :wink: ... "Did nearly 2000km with over 40,000m of climbing in 74 hours of riding over 10 days."

Like felgen mentoins though and probably everone here knows better than me is that overall strength is only part of it when racing- the other half- experience/ position etc..

I'm niether experienced on at hillingdon or as strong as these guys- I'm hoping they will pull me through :oops:

slow72, are you racing this winter?
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    sod racing in the winter - simply getting out on the bike is hard enough at this time of year...
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    Ironman595 wrote:

Nope, I live near Manchester, no one's daft enough to put RRs on this time of year up here. Cross races or the Christmas 10 TT is about it. I miss the gentler climate of the South when I'm getting p**s wet through yet again up here!

Not criticising btw, I'm no more than a chipper and never will be at 37.. but you get guys who are new to RRing who are obviously fast/fit as f**k and once they've got a bit of tactical experience and stop being a generous bunch engine they are off up the ranks pdq. As with you guys, one win at Cat 4, you're into the Cat 3 races, a few more results and you're quickly into the 2's, its good to see, means the system works and you find your level, mine is distinctly below average, hence my moniker ;)
  • oldwelshman
    Ironman595 wrote:
    I't may have been 47min then- but it was def sub 50...

Our same man came top in the cent cols...

A qoute from Tim in 2nd, another 4th cat :wink: ... "Did nearly 2000km with over 40,000m of climbing in 74 hours of riding over 10 days."

Like felgen mentoins though and probably everone here knows better than me is that overall strength is only part of it when racing- the other half- experience/ position etc..

I'm niether experienced on at hillingdon or as strong as these guys- I'm hoping they will pull me through :oops:

Forget experience, if this guy can do sub 50 minutes at the end of the Marmotte he should be a pro on the continent :D
    hat as his time on the marmotte? 6hrs? Did he win it?