Hillingdon Winter Series

Comments

• dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    Pretty much as Rich said. It stretched a bit on the back straight then bunched up on the home straight. A few weak attempts at breaks, but none of them needed chasing down and they got sucked back in fairly quickly. So the average pace was quite low
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    edited December 2009
    Its bang out of order to just decide to be lazy up the incline and let the whole thing bunch up behind cos its frankly dangerous. Just like if you are on the front down a descent, you ar supposed to keep pedalling. Anyway there was general apathy in the 3rds this week as well, as we did several laps in 2 min 30 secs or more, and as a result we only managed 26 laps this week. I was thinking perhaps would have been the day for a breakaway to stick - alas the best looking one disintegrated up the finish straight into the wind.

Good craic though.

*edit* there were 2 guys down in the 3 finish. One had bad road rash but his bike looked okay but dont know about the other. I hope they make a speedy recovery
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    I'd love it to be smooth like a club run too, but accept that's not going to happen. What's frustrating is when it's random and people unnecessarilty braking.
    Fancied my chances better in a sprint than a break, so sat in the bunch.
  • Yep- that was me cycling backwards after what was an accidental break- I had full intentions with staying with the group and sprint it out- then it seemed as a cycled up to the leading 5 woth 1 lap to go, I kept pushing and nobody stayed on my wheel- would have been nice to have 1 person come with me- It turned into an all or nothing scenario on my own- I caught the solo break but it was too late by then.

Next time I think I'll stay fresh and wait it out til the end OR Tom( cervelo?) if you want to work together earlier I'm willing to work hard.

Not out til jan 9th- should have some strong support then. TTT it is!!! :P :oops:

Tom (GSH)
  • felgen
    edited December 2009
    dawebbo wrote:
    I'd love it to be smooth like a club run too, but accept that's not going to happen. What's frustrating is when it's random and people unnecessarilty braking.
    Fancied my chances better in a sprint than a break, so sat in the bunch.
    Well a lot of thats nerves making people snatchy, plus you trust your clubmates but you cant necessarily trust others in your race and with good reason at times. Ditto regarding the bunch sprint, though I did try and get a break or two going but nervous followers chased them down.... hey ho.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    One of your clubmates was all over the shop in the 4ths Felgen! :roll: :lol:
  • felgen
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    One of your clubmates was all over the shop in the 4ths Felgen! :roll: :lol:
    Uhuh, well it's a learning curve, I am sure we both remember being nervous 4th cat first timers. Now I am just a nervous (at times) 3rd Cat. :? :roll:
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    Valid point - I sh*t meself in my first race with you last year! I seem to recall we even bounced off each other once in that... :oops:

I'll wind my neck in :roll:
  • felgen
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    Valid point - I sh*t meself in my first race with you last year! I seem to recall we even bounced off each other once in that... :oops:

Exactly - its a lot to deal with, keeping a line, while all around you are losing theirs....
    or something like that, but yeah a lot to learn as well as actually planning your race strategy :roll: Add to that the desire to taste glory, god knows I wanted to and of course it can get lairy. Perhaps a period where you can race but not score points may help matters as it helps to just participate rather than be eyeballs out.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    felgen wrote:
    Rich-Ti wrote:

Exactly - its a lot to deal with, keeping a line, while all around you are losing theirs....
    or something like that, but yeah a lot to learn as well as actually planning your race strategy :roll: Add to that the desire to taste glory, god knows I wanted to and of course it can get lairy. Perhaps a period where you can race but not score points may help matters as it helps to just participate rather than be eyeballs out.

Thats called a chain gang :D
  • felgen
    felgen wrote:
    Rich-Ti wrote:

True - what I should have qualified is that some of the 4ths may not have done any or many chaingangs where you learn all those things. I, on the other hand have done a few, and I didnt get shouted at :roll:
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    tomb8555 wrote:

nice to see Thames Velo still in the mix... :)
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    felgen wrote:
    felgen wrote:
    Rich-Ti wrote:

True - what I should have qualified is that some of the 4ths may not have done any or many chaingangs where you learn all those things. I, on the other hand have done a few, and I didnt get shouted at :roll:

Is this what Go-Race is for?

That said, Go-Race events seem a little thin on the ground when I've looked.
  • tomb8555
    tomb8555 Posts: 229
    Whilst not ideal, I don't mind being shouted at - it's a good way to learn.
    I got told off by a couple of people for basic stuff, and then tried to focus on what they had told me. Surely the 4ths is the best place to learn race skills etc before you move up to the 3rds. Rolling around in the bunch is nothing like a through and off chain gang.....
  • Rich-Ti
    Tom - fair comment, but riding in groups where you ride in close proximity means you learn how to do basic things like keeping the bike in a straight line (sound facetious, but some of the 4ths there on Sat really weren't capable of following someone's wheels without weaving), and not making massive sideways movements of the kind that send ripples across the field (how many of those do you see in 4th cat races?!).

I don't proclaim to be perfect or massively experienced - I formed a part of a ripple myself on Sat when the guy next to me weaved - but the danger it brings when people can't handle a bike is frankly scary, and so easily resolved!

Don't stop racing though - it is a good place to learn, and no doubt many others are also using it for that exact reason.
  • tomb8555 wrote:

Thanks for the link- a small consolation having proof I did try to break at the end, when explaining my crap position at the end to team mates... :wink:
  • gobi
    gobi Posts: 16
    I was at the first one when we all caught the 3rds at the finish. I'm not the best sprinter but it was pretty piss poor just rolling through the finish as there was nowhere to go.

It sounds like the 2nd race went better.

Roll on Boxing day when I shall come and have another go.

In my first race in the summer someone asked me within 2 laps if I was a triathlete. I said why and his response was I had no clue how to ride in a pack. I think I'm ok now but got there by racing.

Sadly I can't even claim I am a triathlete I just do 95% of my training alone and the other sessions with 2 triathletes. When we started going out they didn't ride in a straight line. That has also got much better. :D

I never cease to be amazed at how hard it is to get off the front as I cannot sprint at all!!!
  • gobi
    Bollox I posted the same thing twice :¬0
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    tomb8555 wrote:
    Whilst not ideal, I don't mind being shouted at - it's a good way to learn.
    I got told off by a couple of people for basic stuff, and then tried to focus on what they had told me. Surely the 4ths is the best place to learn race skills etc before you move up to the 3rds. Rolling around in the bunch is nothing like a through and off chain gang.....
    Don't expect ot to be any better as 3rd, or for that matter in 1/2, you still will get some problems ith some riders.
    If your good enough to win a 4th race and become a 3rd, just do it.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,385
    This is the most enjoyable thread I've read in ages. I'm glad I don't race down there as it seems that everyone is trying to get off the front all the time. I'd be blown out on the first lap :shock: :lol:
  • gobi
    Pross - people rarely get away
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,385
    gobi wrote:
    Pross - people rarely get away

Not through lack of trying but the look of it, it seems every Bike Radar contributor in the SE region is trying to escape! :wink:
  • gobi
    Maybe non of us can sprint :¬0
  • felgen
    Pross wrote:
    This is the most enjoyable thread I've read in ages. I'm glad I don't race down there as it seems that everyone is trying to get off the front all the time. I'd be blown out on the first lap :shock: :lol:
    Yeah it is a good thread as I like a bit of smack-talk and banter!! Theres a lot of guys with ability, but the fastest guy doesnt always win ;)
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • gobi
    Felgen

As a runner the toughest lesson I have had to learn on a bike is that being fitter or faster does not make you the best. Tactics are much more important on a bike and I'm not good at them.

Maybe that is why I quite like TTs and may do more of those and less racing.

G
  • felgen
    gobi wrote:
    Felgen

As a runner the toughest lesson I have had to learn on a bike is that being fitter or faster does not make you the best. Tactics are much more important on a bike and I'm not good at them.

Maybe that is why I quite like TTs and may do more of those and less racing.

G
    Yeah, I know. You must play to your strengths and level the playing field a little. If you haven't got much of a sprint, you need a head start - either go very long and solo, or go first to string it out - most sprinters wont be able to sustain hard effort for long and they may have nothing left is they've just blown a gasket trying to catch up. Have a look when you are racing, pop off the front to see who the people are who catch up first - are they the good ones, or just the nervous ones who will fade when the chips are down? Who looks comfortable, who looks strong? Who's wheels are you going to follow to get a good leadout? You should think about all those things when you are racing but only after you can handle the bike in a crowd. Just do it for the experience. I didnt upgrade my licence from provisional for a year as I was interested in learning without too much distraction of wanting to win gettign in the way.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • gobi
    I have indeed been caught a few times where I have gone too early :¬)

Just once it would be nice not to have any wind at Hillingdon
  • incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    slightly off topic, has anyone raced at hog hill and hillingdon? I'm equidistant from them so as they're on the same days (bit silly...) then I'll have to choose. Any thoughts? One benefit at hog hill might be that you could do both races if the first one left you with some spare energy?
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk
  • felgen
    incog24 wrote:
    slightly off topic, has anyone raced at hog hill and hillingdon? I'm equidistant from them so as they're on the same days (bit silly...) then I'll have to choose. Any thoughts? One benefit at hog hill might be that you could do both races if the first one left you with some spare energy?
    Art Vandelay and Jibberjim have done both. I am sure there are plenty more people who have done both circuits. I guess its just personal preference for you. Hog Hill is more hilly than the relatively flat Hillingdon circuit... hence the 'Hoggenberg' moniker, if you are strong or more of a mountain goat, then it might be for you as the hil tends to help with selectin out the stronger riders avoiding finish line binnage.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB