Silly Cocktail Recipes

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
Still in here in front of the roaring fire smoking my pipe I thought to myself wouldn't my fellow incognito racers enjoy a few handy tips on how to quench ones thirst after a hard day at it.

Well of course you would, so here we go

Tall glass can of draught Guinness, take glass tilt to an angle of 45 degrees pull the trigger on the sleek smooth stem of lovely blackness, tilt towards glass and oh so gently pour maintaining a constant stream of liquid brown heaven, easing and turn upright as you reach the rim - very important that step :wink:

Allow this ambrosia to settle to a majestic black with creamy white head, admire then consume.

Now then at some point in the evening you might find you need something a little more continental well I have just the thing, you'll need...

Ingredients

* 2 tsp sugar or sugar water
* ½ a fresh lime chopped into quarters
* 6-8 fresh mint leaves
* Crushed ice
* 2-10 measures of rum
* Soda to top if you really must!

I give you the Mojito - enjoy :D
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• ince
    ince Posts: 289
    One measure of Kahlua, double of fresh orange.

Terry's Chocolate Orange in a glass, the wife loves it :D
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Oh for the love of everything, this is a cake stop thread surely....

OOooo the 'trolls' are about....

Always wanted to say that :lol:

Lets see.... cocktail:

Half a glass of Coke,

a little bit of lemonade

1 dollop or vanilla icecream on top.

Some call this a float of some contraption, but I have a book that dates back into my childhood that has dubbed this a 'Supercool!'
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Actually the best way to pour draught Guinness from a can is to tip it straight into a vertical glass and let it settle. :P

Alternately, place the glass over the opened can and invert... one smooth pour and you get the perfect head
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Oh for the love of everything, this is a cake stop thread surely....

OOooo the 'trolls' are about....

Always wanted to say that :lol:

Lets see.... cocktail:

Half a glass of Coke,

a little bit of lemonade

1 dollop or vanilla icecream on top.

Some call this a float of some contraption, but I have a book that dates back into my childhood that has dubbed this a 'Supercool!'

there's something missing from this...........

ah yes, alcohol
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    pernod and diet lilt, drink of the gods.

A bit hard going for the start of the evening but a lambrini and lime with 2 olives and twist is a great way to get things started.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    georgee wrote:
    pernod and diet lilt, drink of the gods.

A bit hard going for the start of the evening but a lambrini and lime with 2 olives and twist is a great way to get things started.

That stuff is still around? :shock:
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    one huge martini glass
    one large scoop of lime sorbet
    douse liberally with good vodka straight from the freezer until the glass is full

job done.
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    Oh yes, available from any booze buster near your local council estate.

Advacar and Cherryaid highball. add a dash of cherry ice cream topping to add a real sweetness to things.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Ceasar - a Canadian abberation.

Basically a bloody mary, but with CLAM juice.

Seriously.

Not as bad as it sounds, but I'd recommend being quite drunk first, so you are more relaxed during the convulsions.
  • always_tyred
    A twist of lemming with you Mallard Fizz?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPs8TnBlmuA
  • militantmandy
    militantmandy Posts: 106
    edited October 2009
    itboffin wrote:

Tall glass can of draught Guinness, take glass tilt to an angle of 45 degrees pull the trigger on the sleek smooth stem of lovely blackness, tilt towards glass and oh so gently pour maintaining a constant stream of liquid brown heaven, easing and turn upright as you reach the rim - very important that step :wink:

My dear fellow, you have forgottent he slow pour!! Said Guinness must be poured until 3inches from the top then left to sit before finishing!
  • My personal, all-time favourite cocktail.

The zombie:

* 1 part white rum (Havana 3)
    * 1 part golden rum (Mount Gay Eclipse)
    * 1 part dark rum (Havana 7)
    * 1 part apricot brandy (Calvados will also do)
    * 1 part pineapple juice
    * 1 part papaya juice
    * ½ part 151-proof rum (Woods Old Navy)
    * Dash of grenadine or other syrup

Classic rum and coke:

Highball glass, 50ml measure of your favourite mixing rum (Mount Gay for me, hey i'm not loaded). Squeezed lime and ice in bottom, top up with coke. Should be about half and half when you include the ice and lime. Squeeze another lime in the top.

White Russian (Nicky style):

* Double shot of Grey Goose Vodkka over ice
    * Single shot of Kahlua
    * Fill the rest with half milk and half cream

I like rum! (note the rows are two deep. how I never got a discount in that shop i'll never know. tight bastard!)

rum.jpg
  • tav1969
    tav1969 Posts: 49
    Absinthe, water and sugar is good, best for hot days though.

Otherwise I like a dry Manhattan:

whisky or bourbon (bourbon is more for perfect or sweet manhattans)
    dry vermouth (or sweet for a sweet manhattan, sweet + dry for a perfect)
    bitters

Also campari and lemonade, drink of the gods.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Every time I contemplate a cocktail menu I come back to a dry gin martini with a twist. Two of those and the world swiftly becomes a better place.
  • jedster wrote:
    Every time I contemplate a cocktail menu I come back to a dry gin martini with a twist. Two of those and the world swiftly becomes a better place.

+1

and the world becomes even more nice and fluffy, till you meet the floor. 8)
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Some of you need to get yourself booked into you Doc sharpish as drinking sweet alcopops will have your mojo withering and turning black in no time at all

Jedster, MM are on the money, the only Cocktail is Martini and all else are going down the leg side and should be left well alone
    Georgee wrote:
    Advacar and Cherryaid highball. add a dash of cherry ice cream topping to add a real sweetness to things.

If you aren't a burd you need an urgent transfusion of oomph with a long course of get a grip to put you right
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    ince wrote:
    One measure of Kahlua, double of fresh orange.

Terry's Chocolate Orange in a glass, the wife loves it :D

Arf

vodka, tia maria then contreau and some oj

you also have chocloate orange but much more deadly

caused a mate of mine to poo in his sock draw :lol: His dad came to pick him up from uni the next day and found it :lol::lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Arf

vodka, tia maria then contreau and some oj

you also have chocloate orange but much more deadly

caused a mate of mine to poo in his sock draw :lol: His dad came to pick him up from uni the next day and found it :lol::lol:

The only possible exception to the Martini only rule is getting your mates to dump in/on their own furniture.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • When I was at college, a friend "invented" something he called "Cuthy's Revenge" which was Pernod, Blue Curacao and a dash of blackcurrant, no ice.

Take any glass, the bigger the better. Add a generous splash of blue curacao, an equal amount of pernod, watch it turn piss-green then add the dash of blackcurrant. If it is good blackcurrant with no added water the magic will happen. The result is dichromatic (I think that is the correct word).

Look through the bulk of the drink at a light source and it is a deep green. Tip the glass and look through a small amount at the edge and it is red. (Or was it the other way round? Someone will have to try it for us.)

Believe it or not, he based his Chemistry thesis on dichromatic liquids and turned up to his viva interview with a miniature of curacao, a pernod and some black. He passed too!

As for what it tastes like? I have absolutely no idea. To my shame, I was messing around with double gin and pernods myself at the time.
  • Clever Pun
    Mojito's are my go to cocktail...

a little later on the old fashioned is the way to go.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Fashioned

No cherry though the ice has to be muddled with cherry
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    jedster wrote:

+1

and the world becomes even more nice and fluffy, till you meet the floor. 8)

Or the table eh! :P
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jedster
    Georgee wrote:

If you aren't a burd you need an urgent transfusion of oomph with a long course of get a grip

Yikes!!! I think by anti-brain melt filters prevented me from registering Georgee's little recipe. Surely she is a girl. I'd have thought mixing one of those let alone drinking it is apt to strip all testosterone from your body. It's a threat to the survival of the species. Something should be done [/quote]
  • jedster
    BTW - a little tweak on the martini theme. Swap one or two of the gin (or vodka) measures for a peaty whisky, laphroig being the obvious choice. Voila! A smokey martini.
    Nice...
  • always_tyred
    jedster wrote:
    BTW - a little tweak on the martini theme. Swap one or two of the gin (or vodka) measures for a peaty whisky, laphroig being the obvious choice. Voila! A smokey martini.
    Nice...
    That presupposes that peaty whisky is, in fact, nice. Peer pressure prevents anyone from pointing out that it tastes like soil.
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    ooooh cocktails..

For the getting drunk badly and quickly, the Special Brew & K Cider Snakebite (for that real Trampagne feeling try tenents super and white lightening).

I agree with GregT, the martini the pinnacle of cocktail goodness.

A variant for Mrs Blu3cat is the Miss Martini.

4 parts good clean tasting vodka
    some frozen raspberrys (saves adding ice)
    1 part Chambord
    1 Part Double Cream

blend till smooth and strain as you serve to remove the pips from the raspberries.
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • jedster
    it tastes like soil.

Now AT you say that like its a bad thing :?

Actually, I prefer speyside myself but in this specific combination (say 2pts gn or vodka to 1 pt laphroig) you just get a nice smokey tatse rather than the full dirt eating/TCP experience
  • Clever Pun
    jedster wrote:
    Nice...
    That presupposes that peaty whisky is, in fact, nice. Peer pressure prevents anyone from pointing out that it tastes like soil.

Wrong.. Islay whisky is goood
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • tav1969
    tav1969 Posts: 49
    I sometimes like a "reverse Martini" - a glass of chilled Noilly Prat with a dash of gin.
  • Gah, what is this forum? An alcoholic mother's meeting? I thought cycling was male-dominated...

Honestly. Real men don't drink cocktails. :roll:

But I've got a good one for you:

Whisky
    A glass
    Just a touch of water if you're feeling fancy.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    Clever Pun wrote:
    jedster wrote:
    Nice...

Wrong.. Islay whisky is goood

+1

My version of a good cocktail = single malt + touch of water to bring out the nose