Your Top 5 Mountain Biking Tips

CycloRos
CycloRos Posts: 579
edited September 2010 in MTB general
Got talking about this last night, mustering up all your years of riding experience, in my case a measely 4 years, (but I've covered most of the UK and the Alps in that time) what are the top 5 tips you've learned from enjoying our wonderful sport?

Here are mine :
1. Most repairs can be done by yourself with the right tools and a bit of knowledge
2. Most repairs can be cocked up with the wrong tools and naive stupidity
3. There is no one bike that can do everything
4. Riding on roads in towns sucks ass! (sorry commuters/roadies it's just crap no matter what bike or how much lycra is adorned!)
5. The UK really has some amazingly diverse riding so get out there! (the Peaks, the Lakes, North Wales, South Wales, the 7 Stanes and my personal fav the Scottish highlands)
Current Rides -
Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
Pics!

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    * don't ride at night with you mouth open - a moth will fly in
    * save money on dog deterrents by not washing your riding gloves. The stench from mine will stun an over-inquisitive dog from 10m
    * don't stop at the end of every section at a trail centre and discuss it with your mates - other people will think you're a tw*t
    * never let anyone else ride your bike - they will stack it.
    * don't believe the lbs assistant who says yessir they're all the same...
  • 1. dont fall off.
    2. MTFU!!
    3. Use washing up liquid instead of wasting money on bike cleaning products
    4. DO NOT sit at the bottom of a drop waiting to watch people... get the feck outa the way!
    5. n+1
  • OK

1. Brake less. Keep this in mind on trails you ride repeatedly. As you get to know a trail you will gain confidence and go faster mostly by braking less.
    2. Attack position. Get it right and maintain it. Takes time and is tiring to maintain. Don't sit in the saddle on the trail unless you're winching up a climb. Your rear suspension is there to help you go faster not to cushion your @rse and save your legs
    3. Road riding and Singlespeeding can make good X-training excercises (and have the advantage of being biking and therefore not cr@p like running or going to the gym, which I also hear can be good but wth would I want with a pair of trainers or a gym?) Road riding will teach you about your heart, what its limits are and how far you can push it for how long. This is less important for those under 30 who appear to have nuclear batteries for metabolisms but us oldies need to work at it. SSing will build leg strength and, if you don't have a naturally attacking style to climbs, will add a string to your bow.
    4. Maintain your bike. Chicks definitely do not dig squeeky chains
    5. most important; if any of the above get in the way of enjoying yourself, ignore them or you're missing the point.

btw, I disagree with your 3rd point. Most bikes can do just about everything, they just do somethings slower and more carefully than others, anyone who used to ride big trails on fully rigid stupidly stiff alu race bikes will remember that (OK, except big jumps, but even then most bikes can do them, so long as their pilots get the landings right)
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    1 its not if i fall its when
    2 dont mock other peoples rides they will think your a knob
    3 you will spend most of your money tarting up your bike
    4 NEVER say just one more go, it will hurt
    5 keep your bike clean it will last longer and it will love you back

this is what i've learnt in my 11 years

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    1 - Take essential kit/clothing with you when going out (water, tubes, links, tools etc)
    2 - Your lid is your best friend 8)
    3 - If you have to/choose to ride on roads, watch out for the white van brigade.. :evil:
    4 - Keep your bike well maintained.. IMO, if you dont look after your kit, you're asking to be injured
    5 - Make the most of every ride.. push yourself to learn/try new things.

Thats mine :)
  • damn, it would appear that I took the OP too seriously. And I forgot n+1, good call Benj!

I washed my gloves yesterday. Even *I* couldn't take the stench anymore.

• Beardface
    n+1...

Am I missing something? Care to enlighten? (Am I being a noob here?) :oops:
  • b = n+1

where b = the number of bikes you should have
    and n = the number of bikes you have

• don't ride it like you stole it. chances are someone will steal it.
    spares.
    food/drink. nothing like going on a 10+ ride and getting hungry....
    if you're going to explore remember where you've been. getting lost is not a good idea
    clean and lube it
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    Some slightly more basic stuff that has served me well and I pass on to newbies who come riding with me.

1. If you look at it you will hit it! So look where you want to go not at what you want to avoid
    2. Stand up, bend your knees and lean back on descents
    3. If you keep looking at the front wheel you will be landing in front of it sooner than you think. Keep your head up
    4. You can't half ride anything, commit or don't bother
    5. If its all going pear shaped the last thing that is going to help is a fisful of front brake, so learn not to do it!
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • trail centres are fun but an OS map makes for an adventure
    Maintenance is suprisingly easy once you get into it
    every ride is a race but there will always be someone faster
    if you aren't moving around on your bike you aren't balanced
    drop your saddle
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Beardface
    b = n+1

where b = the number of bikes you should have
    and n = the number of bikes you have

A-haa, got it! cheers Bomberesque! :)
  • RichMTB wrote:
    1. If you look at it you will hit it! So look where you want to go not at what you want to avoid
    2. Stand up, bend your knees and lean back on descents
    3. If you keep looking at the front wheel you will be landing in front of it sooner than you think. Keep your head up
    4. You can't half ride anything, commit or don't bother
    5. If its all going pear shaped the last thing that is going to help is a fisful of front brake, so learn not to do it!

gah, can't believe I forgot those 2! Golden 8)

• Fully
    Fully Posts: 257
    1. Look well ahead on the trail when possible, you'll be much more prepared for what is coming.
    2. Look at where you want the bike to go - NOT the tree or rock that you are about to become one with if you keep on looking at it.
    3. Committ to that drop, if you bottle it at the last second you're in trouble.
    4. Clean out your hydration system or you WILL end up with a very nasty stomach bug :oops: .
    5. If you're out for more than an hour or two blast, take some food or you WILL bonk - again :oops: .

All very simple rules, but nonetheless very important.
    Forget your heart, it's your bank i wanna break, it's just yer money i'm after baby...

A Few Pics
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    RichMTB wrote:
    1. If you look at it you will hit it! So look where you want to go not at what you want to avoid!

This is so true :lol:

I spent months when I first started MTBing riding into rocks / ditches etc until I finally took this on board :oops:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Fully wrote:
    1. Look well ahead on the trail when possible, you'll be much more prepared for what is coming.
    2. Look at where you want the bike to go - NOT the tree or rock that you are about to become one with if you keep on looking at it.
    3. Committ to that drop, if you bottle it at the last second you're in trouble.
    4. Clean out your hydration system or you WILL end up with a very nasty stomach bug :oops: .
    5. If you're out for more than an hour or two blast, take some food or you WILL bonk - again :oops: .

All very simple rules, but nonetheless very important.
    Agree whole heartedly with all those
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    5. n+1
    absoultely, that's why I believe in my original point 3.
    damn, it would appear that I took the OP too seriously.
    you should never do that :lol: everyone can claim to know everything about a lot of things which is why I thought it'd be fun to limit it to your own top 5
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • dot1
    dot1 Posts: 538
    1. Always wear a helmet
    2. A rolling wheel has more grip than a stationary one (dont lock your wheels up)
    3. Do all your braking/changing gears/getting into position before you hit a corner/obstacle.
    4. Laugh at least 5 times per ride (unless your on your own in which case laugh in your head or others may think your a bit nuts.)
    5. NEVER ever ever say "ill give it one last go". You WILL fall off. I learnt this the hard way. :oops:
    Trek Remedy 7 2009
    viewtopic.php?t=12634629

Boardman Pro Singlespeed - Sold
    viewtopic.php?t=12752297&highlight=

Giant Defy 5 2012
  • 1. Always take enough water! learnt this the hard way!
    2. always take your wallet and some cash, and charge your mobile!
    3. bushes do not provide a 'soft landing' for bails
    4.+ 1 look ahead at where you want to be on the trail
    5. Take the time to set up your suspension properly!
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    1) Bikes don't look after themselves. Get some tools and learn how to maintain it.

2) Buy a bike that works well, not just because it looks good.

3) Upgrade wisely. Is that 60 quid stem better than a 20 quid one?

4) Single speed bikes are for the clinically insane.

5) Enjoy it ;-)
  • 1) Learn to fix your own bike,and don`t worry about cocking it up because,cock ups are part of the learning experience.Fixing your own bike means you can fix stuff in the field and have a better appreciation of what works and what doesn`t.
    2) Look at internet froum advice but don`t take it as gospel,and be prepared to experiment with kit to see what suits you and your riding style.
    3) Go on a skills day
    4) Assess your mtb upgrading need versus want,if you want to maintain a healthy bank balance.
    5) Ignore point no 4..........
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • 1. Red bikes go faster.
    2. Uplifts are for pansies until the hurt kicks in, then they're a really good idea.
    3. "The tree swayed and caught my handlebar..." will not stand up in court.
    4. There is a conspiracy of riders who have developed mtb turbo boost (as per Knight Rider) who refuse to share the technology with the rest of us.
    5. I could've been riding instead of typing this nonsense.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    1. WD40 is a lubricant
    2. You don't need a front brake
    3. GPS and Sat-Nav is gay
    4. If you don't have both wheels on the ground you're not going fast enough
    5. Sheep will always run in the wrong direction
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    1. Dont be affraid to fall.
    2. WD-40 is a pre-lubricant only for a proper lube
    3. dont piss off 93 year old BMW drivers....... THEY WILL HIT YOU.
    4. Buy a great frame, sell the bits and put your own stamp on it,
    5. Always wear a helmet as 93 year old BMW drivers WILL HIT YOU.

Oh and there is never enough Pimp for the bike.
  • 1. When climbing, never show pain- others feed on it.
    2. Do not expect me help you fix a broken chain if its black with oil.
    3. Do not expect a hand back up from the bushes till a photo has been taken.
    4. Do not have a sense of humour break down when you have an off.
    5. Enjoy the ride 8)
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    1: Don't think too much..... you'll bottle it
    2: Speed is your friend on bumpy stuff
    3: Don't pump your tyres to the max pressure on the sidewall..... you'll have no grip
    4: Don't attack wet chalky corners at speed.... brake before them
    5: If you are riding somewhere you've never been and alone let someone know where you are going and what time you expect to be back
  • Wear a helmet
    Get a bike that fits you and you feel comfortable on
    Try and have a laugh it's meant to be fun not torture
    Look ahead
    If someone else did it you probably can with practice.
    2002 Ellsworth Isis
    1997 Santa Cruz Heckler
    1994 Cannondale M900
    1992 Specialized Stumpjumper
    1988 Marin Pallisades trail
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    1. good fs is better than ht for everyone. its just too expensive for some.

2. spend more money than you think you should, by about double. better bikes cost more money, better bikes make riding better. better components cost more and are better, even if just better looking.

3. be careful what you gob off about on the internet about bikes, it will bite you on the bum one day, especially when everyone knew you were talking poo in the first place.

4. momentum. carrying momentum, not just speed, will help you tackle everything.

5. confidence. being Confident and Carrying momentum (i call it the 2 c's approach) will allow you to ride anything. being confident is harder than any trackstand, any wheelie, any gnarlyradsick drop off and is more important than all of the things i have listed before.
  • From a complete MTB novice....

1. Wear a helmet, even if it make you look like an arse.
    2. Take food and water but not a picnic, trying to climb with a full belly gets rapidly unfunny
    3. There's always someone out there faster than y', and they tend to be older than you too. Feel free to hate them coz, fingers crossed, that will be you one day.
    4. Y' bum will get used to that seat.
    5. Check there's not a bull in the field before you cross it (it's the cow with only one udder)
    Gerrin! Love owt like that, me.

Malty goodness
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    1) grow some balls, seriously - you'll be f***ing fine :roll:
    2) just fu**ing do it.
    3) falling off is part of mountain biking
    4) crashing almost never hurts as much as your fear makes you think it will.
    5) one bike really CAN do everything, you don't NEED that featherweight XC machine - you'll just wreck it.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    1) WD40 is a lubricant in the same way England play cricket: fecking terrible
    2) Dave Hill should be locked up
    3) Ad infinitum
    4) ;-)