Got hit by a car

canada16
canada16 Posts: 2,360
edited September 2009 in MTB general
Hey

Well It was bound to happen I suppose with british drivers a BMW and road rage.

Some guy like 90 came out of a side road, had to go onto oncoming traffic to avoid him and told him to watch were he was going and he sped up and hit me in the rear.

Lucky there was like 4 witness's that saw all this and told the cops he sped up on purpose.

Was in hospital, and had xrays, no broken bones, just a sore groin from hitting the handlebars or something, and scrapped elbow, but it burns and throbs.

Oh and a brand new XT wheel on the rear and a 100.00 helmet ruined.

What a jerk eh!

Comments

• Thats shocking! I would have been fuming if it'd happened to me! What have the police said?

Surely that would be classed as attempted murder? Trying to run someone over??

Anyway, hope he gets what he deserves. sorry to hear about your incident and get well soon.

J
    I love the sound my tyres make on dusty single track!
  • That's shocking!

Glad you're ok though and I hope the police do something. Did anyone get his reg?
  • that is shocking. Glad there were witnesses and they were willing to be so forthcoming. He could go to prison for that.

got called assault with a deadly weapon and even *attempted murder* when it happened in Canada just before Xmas, in that event though the cyclist got proper mullered and lost a leg.

Glad you're relatively unscathed. The least of it will be his insurance should treat you to replacement kit. I bet that frame's bent too :wink:
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    :shock: well at least your alright! there are some tw@s on the road but you can get a fair bit of cash from the insurance, when my dad was taken off his bike he got £3k and a new bike and their premiums go up :twisted: so all is not lost :)

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • M6TTF
    M6TTF Posts: 602
    won't be any justice over here - the human rights police will say leave the old giffer alone
  • canada16
    I love my bike, but the police have it, just seen the rear from my face on the ground.

Wont be biking for a bit anyway, I think he probably will be arrested as heard the witness say she saw him speed up and hit me and looked right at me while doing it.

What a tool, , hit a cyclist right in front of a police station and in front of a busy bus stop at 09:00 in the morning.

I am sure if I said the frame was bent or anything, his insurance company would want to see it, its worth 3000.00 I am sure they wont just send a cheque, but who knows, it might be.

But I will be wanting a new tyre, wheel and helmet thats fo sho

Oh and it does not help the motorist that 4 cycle cops were first at scene.
  • What an absolute idiot! glad your reasonably ok! it's amazing how wound up some folks get in their little tin boxes.
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    Glad you are basically okay.

TBH if the police are involved his insurance company might just cough up for a new bike. Probably simpler paperwork for them to right of a bike rather than seperate bits.

I'm shocked but not all that surprised that some old duffer had a go at you. Some old tw@t tried to shove me into the curb the other day becuase he didn't like the idea of me filtering passed him in slow moving traffic.

Hope you feel better soon
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...hope they throw the book at him...join the CTC and get one of their lawyers on the case...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • Might be worth getting a report from your LBS on the frame, this idiot needs to get taking to cleaners......
  • I am glad you are ok (if a little sore in the groin area).

Where did it happen (as i am from Cardiff).

Hope they charge the guy with something serious & you manage to recover & get suitably compensated for the damage to your lid & wheel.
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • You will be able to claim your lid and bike damage against his insurance - if he's driving without insurance you should take him to the cleaners.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Glad you're ok. I wasn't suprised when you said it was a bmw, sums up most of them really.
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • Glad to hear you're ok.

Re insurance - an impact from an unusual angle could possibly stress the frame in ways it is not designed to cope with, potentially weakening it. You might need piece of mind that the frame is safe to use. Especially as you've just had someone deliberately drive into the bike from behind. Best way to assure piece of mind = new bike.
  • wordnumb wrote:
    Glad to hear you're ok.

Re insurance - an impact from an unusual angle could possibly stress the frame in ways it is not designed to cope with, potentially weakening it. You might need piece of mind that the frame is safe to use. Especially as you've just had someone deliberately drive into the bike from behind. Best way to assure piece of mind = big fat wad 'o monay.

fixed that for you :wink:
  • canada16
    Well police just arrived, they are prosc.

Fox F100RL scraped all down side, tyre blown, not sure if wheels is still true.

Mob phone and bike bag ruined and jacket has hole in elbow and my rear cat eye wont close and batts keep falling out.
  • canada16
    mikeyj28 wrote:
    I am glad you are ok (if a little sore in the groin area).

Where did it happen (as i am from Cardiff).

Hope they charge the guy with something serious & you manage to recover & get suitably compensated for the damage to your lid & wheel.

Right outside iceland in canton, and in front of police station. :shock:

Oh and he is insured so good news.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    That might just have solved your fork servicing dilemma!

Glad to hear you're ok though, some real idiots on the road, when it's malicious like that it's no different from attempted murder, the US have got it right with "assault with a deadly weapon", not a paltry fine for dangerous driving.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    C*nt. Make sure he gets absolutely hammered, you seem like too much of a nice guy ha but that is ridiculous.
  • Hello, Maybe what you said to him made him panic a bit and hit you. But re-reading your post does sound he did it on purpose and that is disgraceful! His licence should be taken away!!
  • That seems to be the problem with 'discussing' peoples bad driving, they tend to be the ones in the big metal box, we're a bit more exposed.

Had a few in London slam on brakes repetatively in front of me, a few pretend to side swipe, but none have actually got me off the bike, yet.

This guy is obviously a real spanner, but what if a quite road...? Doesn't really bear thinking about.

Hope you're wounds heal quickly and this is sorted without further grief.
  • Quiet road, not a quite road. :oops:
  • Soul Boy wrote:
    That seems to be the problem with 'discussing' peoples bad driving, they tend to be the ones in the big metal box, we're a bit more exposed.

which is why in many mainland euro countries the bike is assumed innocent. not because they are more often than not but because they are more vulnerable. The rules in Holland go further and state that, even if the bike is in the wrong, then the driver is financially liable, although I suspect this is more to do with insurance coverage than anything

canada16 a question; did you get to see this bloke's reaction after the incident? I wonder if he *really* meant to knock you off or simply thought that he could give you a shove as some sort of "lesson" ... you know, kinda like when the bad guy bumps his merc up against the back of Bond's motorbike in whatever film that was. His level of shock at the result would have been interesting to see. of course, all this really does is replace malice with stupidity, but I'd be intruiged nonetheless.

Frankly, if it's legal, I would make a criminal complaint and only agree to drop it in the event that he pay out of his own pocket for the damage to your bike rather than rely on the insurance. otherwise there's a chance that there really is no consequence for him.

• The rules in Holland go further and state that, even if the bike is in the wrong, then the driver is financially liable, although I suspect this is more to do with insurance coverage than anything
    That is stupid penalise the good drivers out there because there is a minority of bad. Let the idiot on the bike get away scot free if they caused the accident.
  • Yes, but as much as i'd like it, taxing stupidity isn't feasible.
  • djrock wrote:
    The rules in Holland go further and state that, even if the bike is in the wrong, then the driver is financially liable, although I suspect this is more to do with insurance coverage than anything
    That is stupid penalise the good drivers out there because there is a minority of bad. Let the idiot on the bike get away scot free if they caused the accident.

I think the point is that the driver's insurance pays up when the cyclist likely doesn't have any. I don't honestly know what happens to the driver's no claims bonus or equivalent (coz no claims stuff is funny out here) in such a circumstance, but that would be the extent of the driver's "penalty", as the insurance would cover the actualy liability (OK, now I think about it I don't know what happens to the excess either tbh but there you go)

the other side of that coin is that there's almost no single dutchman that doesn't ride a bike at least some of the time, so what goes around comes around, so to speak.

• canada16
    Thanks for all the well wishes guys.

I seen his face before he hit me, he went to rev his engine to scare me and he did not realise how slow I was going and how fast he was going.

I dont think he actually meant to hit me,

Funny story when the police came around, The guy has a MBE in sports from the queen according to the police. :shock:

The police told me what to say to a solicitor and they gave me the number, but thats only because he used them before and he goes to brecon all the time and he is a hardcore biker himself.. He was in my living room reading my MBR mag :lol:

I seemed ok after, just a few scrapes and aches, but now, my whole back is killing and just feel tierd.

Will keep you guys updated, but the cop said they will get him to do a driver improvment test, and the cop laughed and said he will prob fail, he was 93 :shock:

I am a bit worried as I have carbon bars and seat post, so even a little minute fracture could be a problem, Will get LBS to have a look over, but I wont be riding for a few anyway.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Good to hear you are generaly okay, but surely a persomal injury claim and the mental turmoul you suffered etc... Well we do live in a compensation culture.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Gutted to hear that! Its not a nice experience, happened to me last year (drunk driver!). Luckily I came off like yourself, just a few cuts and bruses. Seriously glad I was on my crappy Carrera Subway and not the bikes below! However the subway survived pretty well too!

Certainly made me more aware when on the road.
  • Was it James Martin!