Your top speed?

murphdog
murphdog Posts: 8
At the risk of starting a topic that may have been raised before (what hasn't?), what's the highest speed you've ever done on a bike?

I bottled it at 48 mph the other day...these Warwickshire roads just aren't smooth enough!

Comments

• Yes this had been done before.
    My top speed 63mph in the Marmotte, top speed crash 48mph this year :(
  • That must have hurt?! I crashed about a year ago at 20mph going round a roundabout, and I'm still scarred! Are you OK?
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Max I've hit is 50mph somewhere near winnats pass.
  • Maximum i've ever recorded was 83kph or 50.9mph coming off the first descent on the Etape Du Dales a couple of years ago. I am the worlds worst descender as well. My mate claims to have drafted an estate car down the Lauteret on the Marmotte at about 50mph too.

Top speed this year is a paltry 41mph on Dunmail Raise.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • 62MPH when I started to brake, on slack hill near Matlock. the bike started to get a speed wobble, :shock: i thought I was going to end up head first in the hedge. I have not done this since
  • phippss wrote:
    62MPH when I started to brake, on slack hill near Matlock. the bike started to get a speed wobble, :shock: i thought I was going to end up head first in the hedge. I have not done this since

I hate that feeling when you're going really fast and it occurs to you that if you pull your brakes you'll just die.

I think I may have gone faster coming off Axe Edge, the guy i was with said he got 60mph up but I had no speedo. Either way i was plenty terrified.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    101kmh down Ventoux, got a harmonic speed wobble and backed off.
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    I'm pathetic compared to you lot - about 42mph coming down Col de ND des Abeilles on Etape this year.
  • 62mph in the Granada Mountains, Southern Spain. Slightly twitchy at that speed...
  • Yes this had been done before.

What part of the course? I don't think I got much above 40, the only bits steep enough to go really fast had a lot of hairpins.

For me, dragon ride 2008 47mph. This year about 45 down the tourmalet
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    only 44 down the horseshoe
  • Got 48mph today on a nice descent on Dartmoor and I wasn't really pushing it!
    If every mistake you make is a new one ... cheer up, you're making progress!
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    There are some descents in the peaks which can get me to 48mph without any pedalling.

Did 62 down the A54 once, about 56/8 down the Cat & Fiddle and 69 down Ventoux.
  • Bhima wrote:
    There are some descents in the peaks which can get me to 48mph without any pedalling.

Did 62 down the A54 once, about 56/8 down the Cat & Fiddle and 69 down Ventoux.

Cobblers you did. That's 111kph... If i remember correctly, Sean Yates widely regarded as one of the best descenders the sport has ever seen reckons the fastest he ever got up to was 116kph coming down a long, straight portion of road... Of which there aren't a great deal on the Ventoux.

@gietvangent
  • Bhima
    edited September 2009
    I'm a very good descender. On the Ventoux, perhaps it was the extra weight of my rucksack that did it (& obvious tailwind). It's not that difficult to go fast if you can get aero enough.

Oh, and the slowest i've gone without falling off up a climb is 1.2mph. If you can do that clipped in, you'll know how scary it is!
  • Ha ha. Bhima's at it again! :lol:
    If every mistake you make is a new one ... cheer up, you're making progress!
  • Infamous
    I use a simple calculation whenever reading bhima's posts, simply multiply any number he says by 0.5 and presto! you get the actual number.
  • Bhima wrote:
    I'm a very good descender. On the Ventoux, perhaps it was the extra weight of my rucksack that did it (& obvious tailwind). It's not that difficult to go fast if you can get aero enough.

Oh, and the slowest i've gone without falling off up a climb is 1.2mph. If you can do that clipped in, you'll know how scary it is!

If you give me the date, weather conditions and time and route of your ascent it may go some way to assuging my doubts...

Will, is he a good descender?

@gietvangent
  • Bhima
    Infamous wrote:
    I use a simple calculation whenever reading bhima's posts, simply multiply any number he says by 0.5 and presto! you get the actual number.

• Infamous
    Bhima wrote:
    Infamous wrote:

your IQ ? :D
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    56mph down School Hill towards Nenthead in Cumbria. Very scary but such a rush.

69mph down Ventoux???? . I came down this summer in the evening when there was no traffic and no wind and only managed 47mph. In a few places I could have maybe broken 50mph but an extra 20mph?.............no chance, its neither steep enough or straight enough for that speed.
  • I do remember once descending at over 40 mph in sub zero temperatures with sleet hammering down on me. Unbeknown to me, my mum was driving behind terrified I'd come off!
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    49.5 mph on C2C on the way to Newcastle. Mate did 50 plus.
  • I did 69 mph recently, but I think my speedo is a bigger liar than me ;)
  • 48 and i cacked my pants....no really I did. it was brown trousers time.
  • 56mph down School Hill towards Nenthead in Cumbria. Very scary but such a rush.
    This is a great hill - did much the same on my MTB with knobblies on. Bit scary at the bottom though. Apparently there have been a few crashes at the junction at the bottom where brakes have boiled up and been unable stop.

There are several hills around the North Pennines where you can get up 50mph. I find find it much easier on the MTB and it feels safer too.
    Nearly there, just over this hill and round the next corner...

2005 Specialized Rockhopper Disc
    2009 Giant Defy 2.5
  • murphdog wrote:
    That must have hurt?! I crashed about a year ago at 20mph going round a roundabout, and I'm still scarred! Are you OK?

Yes thanks. you can see the pic after crash in link below in my profile.
    Here is pic of me in welsh tack champs on weekend:

http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/ijc_photog ... TVypt5fJAY

http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/ijc_photog ... pbFeNav5Lk
    [url][/url]
  • dave milne wrote:
    Yes this had been done before.

What part of the course? I don't think I got much above 40, the only bits steep enough to go really fast had a lot of hairpins.

For me, dragon ride 2008 47mph. This year about 45 down the tourmalet

The descent after the Galibier, the Lauteret I think.
    Had to slow down for traffic through the tunnels.
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    54mph on Gower - decending from Cefn Bryn towards the B4271. Its not much of a hill but its nice and straight so no need to use the brakes.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    43.9 mph - the hagley mile !- plenty fast emough for an old git like me !