Am I a pansy?

Comments

• Thank you for educating me, never do trust wikipedia!

Whats the fear of axe murderers hiding behind trees in a dark forest called?
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Probably going to be a mix of a few.

Scelerophibia- Fear of bad men, burglars.
    Dendrophobia- Fear of trees.
    Thanatophobia or Thantophobia- Fear of death or dying.
    Nyctohylophobia- Fear of dark wooded areas or of forests at night.
    Xyrophobia-Fear of razors. (closest thing I could find to an axe..)
  • RealMan wrote:

This site is great fun..

http://www.phobialist.com/
    Arachibutyrophobia- Fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth.

????? :shock: :shock:

Thats awesome-
    Levophobia- Fear of things to the left side of the body.

I think you need to give yourself a good talking too if thats your fear!
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Mrnorris wrote:
    I used to freak myself out whilst being out after dark but an old gamekeeper told me when ever things get a bit spooky just remember that you are the scaryist thing in that wood and you have scared the crap out of just about evrything you've passed that night. It works. Once you learn to be the scaryist thing in the woods you can scare the hell out of your mates, try this one - bomb off ahead of your mates once out of site switch your lights off hide behind a bush let them pass then follow then with your lights off if you can, when they stop you stop if freaks them out big time :D

thats a real cunty thing to do......love it!!

I have a horribly embarrassing story involving a dark old railway tunnel which scared the hell out of me. I was shaking that much the front wheel was bobbing like mad and I was bouncing from left to right.

After nearly killing myself thrashing like fuck to get to the end, when I got there I realised that had I taken my sunglasses off I would have been able to see all the way through it :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

bloody tunnel was lit up all the way but I had some dark gigs on :oops:
  • I went out on a longish run the other night, I fine for the first half of the ride (stopped for a pint) Then went back with a slight detour for 2 miles;

Was OK until the detour which was a track between 2 fields - nothing around for miles, then started to cack myself!
  • stev68
    stev68 Posts: 109
    Was on me own up swinley once just as the light had nearly gone,just entering the seagull when war of the worlds starts on my pod,couldn`t find the forward button quick enough lol :D
    Told ya itll hurt!
  • LMAO gave me a giggle thanks :lol:
  • That makes me want to slip a sound effect clip into a mates playlist!

Options are:

Girl screaming
    wolf howl
    gunshot

I think you get the idea!!
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    I actaully bumped into a sleeping cow once while riding up in Gleniffer Braes, as I brushed passed the dark grey mass at the trails edge, I realised as it stood up and mooed in protest it wasn't actually a bush!!

That properly freaked me out I think I was still shaking by the time I got home!
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • On my late nights at work I have to ride back from the station at about midnight. I can either take a 5-mile route on the road or a 4-mile route through the woods. I quite often take the route through the woods and it's easy to get the fear :oops:

What's worse is that the army use the woods for exercises, so sometimes you see a shadowy figure and realise it's actually a squaddie in camouflage holding a bloody big gun :shock: I nearly ran one over the other week, he was lying on the ground covered in twigs...
  • I hope you stop & inform them that their camo isn't working!
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    maxgtfc wrote:
    Am I a pansy?
    Yup - a pansy to the power of wuss :lol:

There's no way the shadows of ferns look like big, scary claws or lightning-scarred tree trunks look like ghosts.

And you never stop and look around in case there really is something there. In the darkness.

And moths don't fly straight into your mouth either.
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    russelle wrote:
    I hope you stop & inform them that their camo isn't working!

haha i do that to the marines when i'm riding across the common, "saw you and you and you and you now your just not trying" :lol:

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • This night riding sounds like fun, bit limp wristed to use lights though. :twisted:
    Orange Gringo for single track.
    Trek EX7 for the hills.
  • .blitz
    ...bit limp wristed to use lights though. :twisted:
    Good point. Chuck Norris wouldn't use lights.
  • .blitz wrote:
    ...bit limp wristed to use lights though. :twisted:
    Good point. Chuck Norris wouldn't use lights.
    He wouldn't need to. The sun doesn't dare go down when Chuck's around.
  • .blitz
    He wouldn't need to. The sun doesn't dare go down when Chuck's around.
    Thought it was Chuck who told the sun to 'get the f*ck down'...
  • mkf
    mkf Posts: 242
    ohhhhh i know the FEAR :cry:
  • RealMan
    russelle wrote:
    Girl screaming
    wolf howl
    gunshot

Those dam wolves have learned how to use guns.. And are hunting women?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    lol, i wish i could be like you, sometimes it nice to get scared sometimes, but it doesnt happen anymore to me :(
  • colt
    colt Posts: 173
    I went night riding round Cannock chase last year and was amazed at the amount of broken pedal reflectors my lights picked out lying along the the trail, came round one corner and couldn't work out why two of them were so high up, until they started moving, it's then I realized they belonged to a bloody big stag, the 'reflectors' were actually his eyes staring at me, scared the bejesus outta me! :shock:
    Trek Fuel EX8 Rootbeer, mmm beer!
  • I am NO longer a pansy!!

Just been banging around the local woods, I now own them. Yes I got lost, twice but not once did I think about the potential evil out there in the dark. I even scared the sh*t out of a group of kids who were up to no good, probably.

All it took was an ipod to put me in a little comfort zone, bless you Apple.

So, question answered, no pansy's here.

GET IN
  • glad you've overcome the fear, but for the sake of running into trouble (either with some unsavoury folk or from a bad crash) it would still be best to ride with at least one other person

:D
    ride your bike like a kid whilst you still can

Transition Blindside = http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceychalk/5335403095/
  • nightriding without lights is fun...

does depend on the route, often if it is open then you can get away with it...
  • In my woods there are claw marks on one of the trees, their about 5 feet of the ground and the span is bigger than my hand. :shock:
    Woods, at night, on my own, not anymore. :?
  • i love going out and messing with people...
  • What about the one that follows you night or day? It was behind me today, i could hear it, but when i stop it stops too.
  • hope hubs....

can't hear anything then!
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Just don't what ever you do stop. Look behind a relise you literally can't see anything!
    :shock: That properly gives me the fear!!
  • RealMan
    willy b wrote:
    Just don't what ever you do stop. Look behind a relise you literally can't see anything!
    :shock: That properly gives me the fear!!

Helmet lights.. :wink: