Am I a pansy?

maxgtfc
maxgtfc Posts: 22
edited September 2009 in MTB general
After getting every excited about buying lights for the bike I finally got round to using them last night. Went to my local woods which I know backwards, they aren't that big, and set off on the bike. The P7 torch that I'd bought was awesome, but I still felt that there was probably an axe murderer lurking behind every tree. I was really scared, despite bringing the dog along for company. Then to cap it all off I swear to God that I saw a white face somewhere out in the woods. That was it, I was back off to the carpark as fast as I could pedal. Totally knackered when I got back, but had to have a smoke straight away to calm my nerves, before locking myself in the car.

Just wondering if anyone else manages to scare themselves whilst they are out night riding, or as the title of this post says, am I just a pansy?

Max

Comments

• yes, you are a pansy
  • The scares add to the excitement.

Best to do it with someone else though for when you interrupt the doggers. :lol:
  • afcbian
    afcbian Posts: 424
    Undoubtedly a complete pansy..........no question.
    Take a biking buddy with you.
    Riding the woods at night is hilarious and to be thoroughly recomended !
    (followed by a beer and some pork scratchings on the way home :D )
    I ride therefore I am
  • :lol: Yep I find it very spooky too. At the moment I only have a bar mounted light, so my favourite thing at the moment is when I catch something out the corner of my eye, but when I turn to look, it's no longer lit by my headlight, so I see absolutely nothing but black. I'm not sure I'd do night rides on my own :lol:
  • Nope, not a pansy. You have an over-active imagination and I'm afraid that if you have one of those, you'll never be able to go night riding on your own.

Take a friend and you'll be fine. Alternatively, go during the day!
  • opinion:

blouse!

that said i did see a "ghost" on a night rida in feb/mar, scared the bejusus outta me.

went back on the saturday to discover it was a dogsh1t bin that was overflowing with "baggies".
    :lol:
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    I scare the sh1te out of myself whenver I go riding in the dark myself, adds to the fun!

Just realise that the only person daft enough to be farting about in the woods in the dark is you and enjoy the buzz!
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • Thank you all for verifying my pansyness!

Think that I need to get some lights for the dog, so he can run ahead and scare all the axe murderers!

Will have to find a non pansy to go infront next time,

Cheers all

Max
  • scotto
    scotto Posts: 381
    buy a gun, phychologically useful in such situations
  • I don't go on night rides alone .... :oops:
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • v23
    v23 Posts: 217
    No. Not a pansy. I do night rides alone, but tend to stick to the roads on the ups/slow bits. Meaning that the monsters/murderers etc. have very little chance of catching me, cos when I'm in the woods I'm flying downhill.
  • you're not alone.whilst out on the ridgeway near swindon at around 1 am (trying out my hope vision 2 led's.i could hear laughter. what the f**k was that i said to myself.it must have been some people drinking (or whatever they were doing :shock:) i didn't hang about to find out.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I'm exactly the same, on the rare occasion i go out in the dark I get back totally knackered and realise I've done the route in 2/3 the normal time, without conciously trying to do it any quicker! Got no local riding buddies though, so it's either fear or nothing!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    you big girls blouse i dont go out at night :D i'm usually drunk by then

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    mtfu. definitely a pansy. with the exception of a bullet, you're probably faster then anything else in the woods.
  • i'm willing to bet you were extremely afraid of the dark as a little kid
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Night rides hold no fear for me, I have excellent night vision and carry an axe just incase there's any murdering going on :roll: Humour aside I'll probably have to start riding when it's dark over winter and it's the wildlife that worries me.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Fully
    Fully Posts: 257
    I used to night ride on my own on Salisbury Plain, which was fine, and Bracknell forest with a group, but you wouldn't catch me riding in a forest on my own at night, no fucking way Pedro....

...and i'm a soldier :lol:

Have you not ever heard of the beast of Cannock Chase ?
    Forget your heart, it's your bank i wanna break, it's just yer money i'm after baby...

A Few Pics
  • To be honest i dont blame you id be quite scared alone in the woods at night. Its when your lights catch something then you quickly look and see a shadow of something (usually a bush or tree)

Id imagine its a laugh with mates.
  • The cold hard truth is... nasty people who want to do something just as nasty to other people don't wait in the woods for hours on end for you to come by. :)

The thing to fear is having an accident out there on you own and waiting until morning for someone to come by and call for help.

Of course in the meantime, the psycho zombie serial killers will be slowly picking at pieces of your injured body for their BBQ, and probably stealing the best bits off you bike to boot! :D
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    Riding at night is a laugh but not on your own, however sometimes I don't have the choice.

It's all mental when you get a thousand sets of glowing sheep's eyes looking back at you, then you can hear all beasties lurking about in the undergrowth. I think what makes it worse is that sound is amplified at night and that fox that farts bout 3k's away scares the shoit out of you :lol:

I reckon you ride quicker because your over active imagination makes you!

I was on a local loop one night and on going through a gate there was this bloke stood there waiting for me to get through. I didnt know he was there because I had my MP3 player on. Nearly unloaded in me shorts when I saw him. :lol::lol::lol:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • When out on a night ride last winter, on a steep narrow climb, a cow ran out of a gap in the hedge straight in front of me then disappeared off into the night. I absolutely SHAT myself.
    Cows look so much bigger and scarier at night.
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    riding in the woods at night........
    dark-forest-night-image.jpg
    and your always expecting this to jump out and eat you!
    chupa3.jpg

but in the day its more like............
    bluebell_woods_15_470x352.jpg
    and the horrible beast is only
    squirrel-eating.jpg

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • Fully
    Fully Posts: 257
    But anyone who thinks that these...

squirrel-eating.jpg

don't turn into these at night is kidding themselves and thinks that the world is full of fluffy bunnys

chupa3.jpg

There be somethin' in them woods, i'm telling yer...

Seriously, what scares me the most is when you can't see anything behind an obstacle or down a drop, in daylight you would see the runout, but at night it's just a black shadowy abyss.
    Forget your heart, it's your bank i wanna break, it's just yer money i'm after baby...

A Few Pics
  • belugabob
    belugabob Posts: 158
    edited September 2009
    If you were a real pansy, you'd have locked yourself in the car before you smoked the cigarette.

Definitely suggest that you take a buddy whilst night riding - at least, then, there's a chance that there's somebody more scared than you :)

If you didn't learn anything today, you weren't paying attention!
  • I used to freak myself out whilst being out after dark but an old gamekeeper told me when ever things get a bit spooky just remember that you are the scaryist thing in that wood and you have scared the crap out of just about evrything you've passed that night. It works. Once you learn to be the scaryist thing in the woods you can scare the hell out of your mates, try this one - bomb off ahead of your mates once out of site switch your lights off hide behind a bush let them pass then follow then with your lights off if you can, when they stop you stop if freaks them out big time :D
  • Mrnorris wrote:
    Once you learn to be the scaryist thing in the woods you can scare the hell out of your mates, try this one - bomb off ahead of your mates once out of site switch your lights off hide behind a bush let them pass then follow then with your lights off if you can, when they stop you stop if freaks them out big time :D

Man, that`s so sick. I love it.

:D
    Go listen to... www.wefunkradio.com
  • RealMan
    You guys have obviously never heard of Sciurophobia. Not to be confused with Sciophobia, which is probably even worse for night rides.
  • Just had to wikipedia that :D - no I am not afraid of squirrels, or the dark. Just the axe murderers :(

Max
  • RealMan
    Not quite, Sciophobia is the fear of shadows. Fear of the dark is Achluophobia.

This site is great fun..

http://www.phobialist.com/
    Arachibutyrophobia- Fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth.

????? :shock: :shock: