Riding Buddy Needed Yorks/Derbyshire

Comments

• mikey0303
    mikey0303 Posts: 134
    Rockhopper wrote:
    I wonder if there is a better way for us all to get in touch about this?

just arrange a time and a place and see who turns up - simples!
    Cube Attempt 2011
  • Hi guys. Ime sheffield based and looking for a regular group to go out with since my usual mtb partner now lives elsewhere. Did you manage to organise a regular slot for riding in the end? If so i would love to join you at some point.

Jim
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    I go out to Ladybower on occasions.

Got a 33 mile circuit that we do with a climb from Castelton to the top of Mam Tor. :? Next planned run is 12th Dec. we meet up at the side of the reservoir just up the road from the visitors centre, have a blast round then head back to Yorkshire for a curry :D

Keep meaning to go to Wharncliffe too but never got on with. Can be there in less than 30mins as well
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • Rich9
    Sounds good rich. Have done a couple of ladybower routes in the past and have always enjoyed them (although none even scratched th surface of your 33 miler!). How long does 33 miles usually take you?
  • Rich9
    about 3.5 - 4 hours at a fairly steady pace. Just a bunch of guys from work, with varying levels of fitness and skills. Rode 'The Beast' last time, and only me and 1 other attempted it, the rest pushed :oops: .

We do the loop around the reservoir then cross over by the sink hole and through the woods towards Hope and Castleton. stop for a bacon sarnie the head up to Mam Tor.

B!tch of a climb. A bit of road riding involved but makes up for it with some nice off road and a couple of good downhill sections
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • sounds good. any chance you could give me a text on 07783217807 to let me know the details nearer the time? Thanks again,

Jim
  • Wow, all sounds good.

I live in Doncaster and I'm looking for new riding buddies as one now comes out less since he got a beautiful baby boy and the other's just got a new job... So really struggling to get out. Hate riding by myself coz it's boring. Used to go out 2-3 times a week doing 60 miles or so. Been out twice in past 3-4 weeks. :evil:
    09 Black Spesh Enduro Comp SL
  • MissBint37
    MissBint37 Posts: 1,503
    I'm still up for some local rides! If you want a girl tagging along haha.
    I sometimes ride with the Hull lot on the North Yorks moors but it's a long way for me sometimes, especially with the peaks on my doorstep!
    I haven't bene out much lately as I've just done a snowboard instructor course and was worried about injury, but thats done and dusted now so yeh.....time to play :)
    Ride it like you stole it!
  • Well thats at least three of us interested, so shall we have a burn around the peaks at some point?What's everyone doing next weekend? (i.e November 6th/7th) or the weekend after that? Dont worry miss Bint, girl or no girl i dont have anything to prove :D
  • Skip2MyJim wrote:
    Dont worry miss Bint, girl or no girl i dont have anything to prove :D

Amen to that! I'm up for some biking.
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    Darth Paul wrote:
    Wow, all sounds good.

I live in Doncaster and I'm looking for new riding buddies as one now comes out less since he got a beautiful baby boy and the other's just got a new job... So really struggling to get out. Hate riding by myself coz it's boring. Used to go out 2-3 times a week doing 60 miles or so. Been out twice in past 3-4 weeks. :evil:

yeah, he looks just like his daddy :wink:

Still managing to get out, just not at times when you're not busy!!!!! C is OK with me going out but £ is an issue at the minute so not planning any epic rides in the Peaks although I do fancy the ride I mentioned to you this week which sounds similar to some already mentioned, ladybower towards edale and castleton
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • Rich9
    Skip2MyJim wrote:
    What's everyone doing next weekend? (i.e November 6th/7th) or the weekend after that?

Could be tempted. Could probably do 14th/15th but not 6th/7th
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    I've got a good route based at Eyam too if it's of any interest - might make a change from the dreaded Ladybower?
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Cheshley
    dave_hill wrote:
    I've got a good route based at Eyam too if it's of any interest - might make a change from the dreaded Ladybower?

I remember going to Eyam on a school trip many years ago, don't know the area but always interested in riding somewhere new :-)
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • MissBint37
    I haven't been out in about 3 weeks now....bad times, really need to sort something if you guys are still interested?
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Name a time and a place, see who takes you up on it!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Build it and he will come!
  • MissBint37
    Right whos up for a ride a week on Sun 29th November?
    I might well be out this week but wanted to give people notice. As for routes hmmm, advice required I don't have a clue I'm rubbish at planning, I'd get lost I just follow everyone else so suggestions???
  • Rich9
    would be interested but i'm doing Gisburn on the 28th then going out on the lash 8)

Still got plans afoot to do Peaks on 12th Dec
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • Cheshley
    would be interested but I'm always concerned that I'd be the one gasping and wheezing at the back that everyone at the front is bitching about :oops:
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• MissBint37
    No thats me because I'm asthmatic so I will be the one at the back everyone moans about!...because I can't breathe :(
  • I'm off work that sunday so I would be intrested in a ride, It'll make a change ridding with someone as i normally go out alone.

As for location for the ride i'm happy to travel anywhere.

Is there any limit on the amount of travel time for places to go?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/44868051@N08/6896199872/

Lapierre Zesty 214 2012
    On-One Lurcher 29er
  • MissBint37
    I don't generally mind travelling, but when you're doing 2 hr drives each way every week to ride the petrol starts adding up.

Where were you thinking?
  • At the moment i've only really been doing the trail centre's and not done anything other than that..

I have'nt been down to Sherwood Pines for a while and also planning a return visit to Coed Llandegla in noth wales sometime.

As for other places to go if you know of any good routes suitable for a beginner in the Peak District than i'd be more than willing to have a go.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/44868051@N08/6896199872/

Lapierre Zesty 214 2012
    On-One Lurcher 29er
  • Cheshley
    +1 on the travel costs thing!!!

Not been to Sherwood for a few weeks but with all the rain the lower parts will be waterlogged at the minute, only other trail centre I've ridden is Dalby but talent ran out before the trail did unfortunately. I have big ideas for Glentress after a mate told me how the trails are set up, but with a 4 hour drive that'll have to be a s Summer trip to make the most of the daylight. The Peak District is great but likewise the weather will have a big effect on the quality of the rides. I could put together a route that I would consider 'beginner' level because that's what I am!!!! The problem there is getting loops together that miss out the downhill sections that everyone goes there for, but not everyone has the skills or confidence to ride and that usually involves some road work....
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• I was riding red/severe route at Sherwood Pines yesterday, day off work.

Pouring with rain and the odd flash of lightning, soaked to the skin, up to my axles in mud, great fun!!! Revived myself in the canteen with generous helpings of carrot cake...chilli beef n jacket potato and and 2 hot steaming mugs of tea !!
  • Have a look here:

http://www.mtbe.co.uk/

Check out the Organise A Ride section, or even post up a date and time for a ride and see if there's any takers. :wink:
  • MissBint37
    Haha red at Sherwood is far from severe......it's doable with eyes shut and I class myself as a pretty crappy rider! But yeh I imagine it will be mud mud mud down there at the moment.

I am up for whatever level of ride, I do my best and if there are bits I can't do I do a hike with the bike!!! To give you an idea of my level, I am quite slow uphill becasue I have asthma but I am in good shape and covering distance is not a problem for me I can easily do 30+ miles off road in a day. I can do the red at Dalby no problem and pretty much all of the black with the exception of falling off at the same spot on the black every time coming down a hill out of the trees onto a road near a field about 5 min before the long-ish climb after the water pump :(

To be honest I just want to get out....if the weather isnt too bad!!! So I don't mind what or where.
  • Cheshley
    I agree that the Sherwood Red shouldn't be classed as Red, compare it to Red at Dalby and it's not in the same league. Some of the Dalby Red drops are too much for my level of skill/confidence tho.

I'm slow uphill too but that's just because I'm unfit!!!!! and I don't mind a hike with the bike to get to where I want to be.

Is it time to stop discussing it and start arranging it yet......? Availability could be an issue as I have a 4 month old baby but the Other (better?) Half is usually OK with me disappearing now and again. I'm not working so any day is good and I'm sure I could convince Darth Paul too. You listening PC...................? :lol:
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• ????????? Wow...sorry I spoke.....just giving you an update....