RPCC Ride - Sat 8th / Sun 9th August

13»

Comments

• Berns12
    Berns12 Posts: 198
    Top ride last two days. Feeling tired but happy
    Two ITT out to Box in two days. Thanks to Julian, Fuji and Bongolian for getting me home yesterday and to the fellow Dynamos I met up on Box today.

Saw Mal and James at RP finish line and heard about the top effort on the roundabouts shame I missed that one! Did the rest make it back ok?
  • tyskie
    tyskie Posts: 252
    Sounds like there were a couple of good rides this weekend. I fancied a bit of riding in solitude so headed to Marlow, up into the Chilterns back down to Henley, Windsor and home. Got a bit carried away and ended up doing 72 miles at a 17.3mph average. The RPCC rides in the last few weeks have definitely improved my speed and stamina - cheers lads.

I'm looking for decent route back from Windsor to West London as I take the A4 most the way at present. Not too bad as you get to race the planes taking off from Heathrow :) but would be good to find a more scenic route. Any ideas? Also, if the RPCC fancy a different ride out then I'd be happy to lead a ride up into the Chilterns.
  • voxegam
    voxegam Posts: 244
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    Managed to shell myself out the back when I peeled off the front at the end - 50kph @ 185bpm hurt like hell and I couldn't latch onto the back again! :oops:
    Definitely the hardest part.....getting on/hanging on after a hard turn.

Btw Mykee.....top effort getting back on with me, mal and felgen.....suprised your legs didnt explode open.
    felgen wrote:
    Glad that Mal and James were around to make me work hard - really hard!
    Happy we could help the pain :lol:

Finally, being the lazy student with no responsibilities, I will be riding most days this coming week during the day.....if anyone fancies joining me, hit me up with a PM :lol:
    Trek Madone 6.5 Pro
    Planet-X (now winter-bike)
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    Good going guys - sounds like you've had a cracking couple of weekends riding - I took a pretty heavy fall on my commute the other week (in RP of all places) which kept me off the bike at the weekends. (Well, that and a fair amount of laziness....)

I'll be out of action for the next three weekends as well as I'm off up to Arran - bike in tow - for a holiday with the family.

Enjoy the rest of August's rides - hopefully see y'all in September.
  • Thanks for the ride on Saturday guys, great route and good pace. With the speedy inbound pace I reckon I may have to take off the compact if I'm going to go any faster.

Enjoyed the Surrey Hills so much, I took my old MGB out for a spin round the hills today and stopped for a stroll round Peaslake, then had a chow at the Windmill Pub (between Shere and Ewhurst). Cracking day.
  • tyskie wrote:
    Sounds like there were a couple of good rides this weekend. I fancied a bit of riding in solitude so headed to Marlow, up into the Chilterns back down to Henley, Windsor and home. Got a bit carried away and ended up doing 72 miles at a 17.3mph average. The RPCC rides in the last few weeks have definitely improved my speed and stamina - cheers lads.

Got out again too for a gentle ride with a group of varying ability down to Brighton, a BBQ, then rode back unaccompanied to London. Only just back in now so over 14 hours out of the house today and pushing 200 miles for the weekend. May take the tube to work tomorrow...
    tyskie wrote:
    I'm looking for decent route back from Windsor to West London as I take the A4 most the way at present. Not too bad as you get to race the planes taking off from Heathrow :) but would be good to find a more scenic route. Any ideas? Also, if the RPCC fancy a different ride out then I'd be happy to lead a ride up into the Chilterns.

There are a few good routes on the Serpentine running club website http://www.serpentine.org.uk/pages/bike_routes_index.html
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    tyskie wrote:
    I know one Steve - not sure when I could show you anytime soon, but can send you a Garmin file if that's any use?
  • Rich-Ti
    phips wrote:
    Crikey, top effort lads. Seriously quick return run this week! That'll be the James & James show responsible for that pace I'm guessing?
    You'd be surprised... :wink:
  • voxegam
    phips wrote:
    Crikey, top effort lads. Seriously quick return run this week! That'll be the James & James show responsible for that pace I'm guessing?

There are three of us James fellows now.......could get a bit confusing :lol:
    Trek Madone 6.5 Pro
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    tyskie wrote:

I'm looking for decent route back from Windsor to West London as I take the A4 most the way at present. ...... Any ideas? Also, if the RPCC fancy a different ride out then I'd be happy to lead a ride up into the Chilterns.
    I like that part of the country - I used to live in Henley, and I dont see why Reading CC should have it all to themselves - theres some good climbs out of the Thames Valley in that area too! If only I was a roadie back then!!!! Try that climb from the Bisham roundabout up towards Maidenhead.

Anyway in terms of a route back into London, try going Windsor, Staines, Sunbury, Hampton... I think its the one that both Rich-Ti and I would use.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    voxegam wrote:
    Finally, being the lazy student with no responsibilities, I will be riding most days this coming week during the day.....if anyone fancies joining me, hit me up with a PM :lol:
    You could always spend some time learning about Maple Syrup urine disease, Homocysteinuria, Hartnups disease, the LAC operon, and other such necessities for your future career ;) Then again, you're probably on one of these newfangled 'integrated' curriculums :shock: Either way ride a little less so its not quite so uncomfortable for everyone next week.

Have a good ride then...
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • voxegam
    felgen wrote:
    the LAC operon,

Arrrgh!!...God I HATE the lac operon.......thats some real confusing stuff!!!! I remember the lecture when we first learnt about it....the number of completely blank faces in the room was quite vast. Gotta say though.....maple syrup uringe disease sounds fun tho.
    Trek Madone 6.5 Pro
  • Myk-ee
    Myk-ee Posts: 276
    voxegam wrote:
    felgen wrote:
    the LAC operon,

Arrrgh!!...God I HATE the lac operon.......thats some real confusing stuff!!!! I remember the lecture when we first learnt about it....the number of completely blank faces in the room was quite vast. Gotta say though.....maple syrup uringe disease sounds fun tho.

And don't forget to brush up on Notnuffnookie disease, it's potentially terminal!

Once again, superb ride yesterday. I feel quite good this morning.
    It's the vibe of the thing.
  • Rich-Ti
    Myk-ee wrote:
    And don't forget to brush up on Notnuffnookie disease, it's potentially terminal!
    And once left too long, perpetual... trust me... :( :oops:
    Myk-ee wrote:
    Once again, superb ride yesterday. I feel quite good this morning.
    Seconded, on both counts 8)
  • phips wrote:
    voxegam wrote:
    phips wrote:

There are three of us James fellows now.......could get a bit confusing :lol:

I meant you and felgen ;)

(Esoteric out on the turbo charged run today too?)

Yeh tried to do some pulling though the roundabouts but got too tired and fully dropped on the run back... (not the first time that day :oops: ) have to try harder to keep up!

I gotta say the pace was really high yesterday (no bad thing) which should make for some pretty rapid improvement.

Myk-ee - great effort to get back on - no idea how you did this esp with so much work on the front early in the ride?

Voxegam - congratulations on the sub-6min BH ascent very very impressed
  • tyskie
    tyskie Posts: 252
    Cheers for the routes back from Windsor - the ones on the Serpentine site look good. Will try one of those next time as they've got to be better than the A4.

Rich - I don't have a Garmin, although my bike is looking a bit bare without one.
  • phips wrote:
    Myk-ee wrote:
    45mins 27secs to get from BH to RP - average speed 36.9kph
    Total moving ave just over 33kph.
    Crikey, top effort lads. Seriously quick return run this week! .... And today I'm thinking pig flu might be on it's way. I've not had a cold in over a year, and right now I'm starting to feel rather ratty. Meh.
    Really hope your cold Peters out, Mark.
    Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to being part of those type of stats, if I can hang on. Riding on a heart rate limiter of 165 at present, so would probably struggle. Hope for an all clear in the next week.
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Won't be around for the next couple of weeks - 'training camp' :wink: on the Isle of Harris 8)

Good luck to those doing the Southern Sportive.
  • Rich-Ti
    New thread now active - apologies for the delay... :roll: :oops: