RPCC Ride - Sat 8th / Sun 9th August

Rich-Ti
Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
Blimey, only just Monday afternoon and I've got the ride thread sorted! :shock: :lol:

I'm out this weekend - back to Worthing Fri, back here Sat PM then up horrendously early on Sun to do some marshalling :roll: But I'm sure a ride will go out so please feel free to get yourselves organised!

Judging by last week's thread and how the rides ended up on that front I reckon there might be talk of doing a fast ride and a slower ride this weekend - I'm not going to start the thread with a poll but if it looks like it needs one then I can add it on so I'll keep my eye on things.

So, for those of you coming to join us, usual meet & ride plan:
    :arrow: 9am start on Saturday is most likely,
although keep an eye out as earlier starts seem to be happening now and Sunday might be favoured by some
:arrow: Richmond Gate in Richmond Park, south side (on the left as you come up Sawyer's Hill / on the right if you come through Richmond Gate), by the little white building
:arrow: 80-120k @ 24-28kph / 50-75 miles @ 15-18mph usually, but nobody gets dropped :arrow: Boxhill is almost definite (as is a short tea / cake / toilet / bottle refill stop at the top - usually around 15-20mins)
As ever I'd like to emphasise that new faces are more than welcome and actively encouraged, and that applies to lurkers / long-time 'thread watchers' / any who haven't been able to make it along previously / those who don't want to commit on here but might feel like turning up on the day - please do join us if you want to! Be good to see some of the faces we have seen over the past months re-appear too! 8)

A collection point at Hampton Court can be arranged as that tends to be the route out. Please let us know if you need to take this option - it's usually just a fly-by quick hello and on the move again so if you plan to use this option we need to know, and please be on time (although there can sometimes be delays getting moving at Richmond Park so there is the potential for us to be a little late coming through). Collection time there is likely to be around 20-30mins after the agreed RP start time so again, keep an eye out.

So, who is about this weekend? :shock: 8) :D

Comments

• Myk-ee
    Myk-ee Posts: 276
    80-120k @ 24-28kph / 50-75 miles @ 15-18mph usually, but nobody gets dropped Boxhill is almost definite (as is a short tea / cake / toilet / bottle refill stop at the top - usually around 15-20mins)

Hey Rich - given the Sunday ride the usual cut-n-paste may no longer be right. The pace for the fast ride will (hopefully) be quicker, and folks may be dropped so will need to be familiar with area to be able to get home :twisted:
    It's the vibe of the thing.
  • Rich-Ti
    Myk-ee wrote:
    Hey Rich - given the Sunday ride the usual cut-n-paste may no longer be right. The pace for the fast ride will (hopefully) be quicker, and folks may be dropped so will need to be familiar with area to be able to get home :twisted:
    Still applies to the 'normal' ride though. If you're planning a faster ride then feel free to communicate accordingly :wink:
  • voxegam
    voxegam Posts: 244
    I'm up for a fast paced ride on sunday......should be in slightly better condition than I was this weekend....sounds fun!
    Trek Madone 6.5 Pro
    Planet-X (now winter-bike)
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Myk-ee wrote:
    80-120k @ 24-28kph / 50-75 miles @ 15-18mph usually, but nobody gets dropped Boxhill is almost definite (as is a short tea / cake / toilet / bottle refill stop at the top - usually around 15-20mins)

Does this mean that you want all future rides to be at such a fast pace?

I don't have too much of a problem if the group splits on the way home from Box Hill via the Roundabouts as i'm pretty much done for by then and would not be able to keep up.
    However if the group is just going to sprint ahead into the distance as soon as we leave RP then that would count me out of future rides.
  • Myk-ee
    NWLondoner wrote:
    Myk-ee wrote:

Does this mean that you want all future rides to be at such a fast pace?

I don't have too much of a problem if the group splits on the way home from Box Hill via the Roundabouts as i'm pretty much done for by then and would not be able to keep up.
    However if the group is just going to sprint ahead into the distance as soon as we leave RP then that would count me out of future rides.

I think the plan was for 2 rides, the usual Saturday type ride and a seperate faster but shorter Sunday ride (although days and start times may change). I don't want to scare off anyone who likes the original rides, but the fast ride just grew out of a couple of us who are getting fitter and have less time. Also worth noting that they are around the 50mile mark and that we do start fast as well.

I'm sure I'll continue to do both rides.
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    Yep, I am one of the time-poor riders, so liked the hoon on Sunday, but thats for the masochists among us. The 'RPCC' ride should and will continue in its all-inclusive format - as we all had to start somewhere - for most of us that was 10+kg heavier and 2 minutes slower up box hill. Without the RPCC thing, I would never have kept up riding through the winter, and as a result I am sure I speak for many of us when when I say we are now riding better than ever. So yeah, newbies, come along. Its a laugh even more so if Wilf-a-roo does some stunts for us :D
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    No RPCC for me this weekend.
    Sunday is usually a club ride for me so hopefully we keep a good core of riders for Saturdays. Liked the post Box Hill hoon/non-hoon proposition that was discussed.
  • Berns12
    Berns12 Posts: 198
    I have free rein this weekend with the fixtures secretary on holidays in Canada. I am up for the usual core run on Saturday and up for the Sunday ride. Although given the pace of the Sunday ride it may end up turnining into a ITT for me, which I don't mind given it will be useful training for the Tour des Cols.

Just as a matter of clarification for all lurkers, what is the consensus on the faster Sunday ride? Will it be based on the Dynamo fast ride "no stopping" policy (quite appropriate given the number of Dynamo's on board at RPCC) or is it a "steady together" up the climbs with no waiting at the top and then hoon it from BH dropping all and sundry or is it a "reasonable wait at the top of climbs" followed by no holes barred from BH?
  • voxegam
    Just wondering if anyone would be up for a medium to fast paced ride into the surrey hills on one of the weekdays this week? Lemme know :lol:
    Trek Madone 6.5 Pro
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • felgen
    voxegam wrote:
    Just wondering if anyone would be up for a medium to fast paced ride into the surrey hills on one of the weekdays this week? Lemme know :lol:

maybe wednesday? but wont know until closer the time - like wednesday morning :shock:
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    No RPCC for me this weekend.
    Sunday is usually a club ride for me so hopefully we keep a good core of riders for Saturdays. Liked the post Box Hill hoon/non-hoon proposition that was discussed.
    Sundays have been a lazy day for me for a while but as I plan to cut down my distances now I hope to compensate by doing more Sunday club runs too (now that I've bought the kit I'm damn well gonna use it!).

I also think the 'post-Box Hill hoon/non-hoon' option as an ending to our normal RPCC rides is a good one - the hooners can then do as many loops of 'the roundabouts' at full tilt as they like, and I know I'd be keen to have a slice of that pie.

Could even make Box Hill a secondary meet point so that folk like Felgen who often can't make the RP meet still get a decent ride (and hoon session) in :?
  • Hi Chaps - been a very long while since I've been able to make a ride, and my advice would be to think very long and hard before engaging in a large diy project. It just doesnt mix with doing anything else on weekends, let alone cycling in the Surrey Hills.

I have kept some of my fitness through commuting, so dead keen to hit the Saturday morning ride - fast or slow!!
  • felgen
    Hi Chaps - been a very long while since I've been able to make a ride, and my advice would be to think very long and hard before engaging in a large diy project. It just doesnt mix with doing anything else on weekends, let alone cycling in the Surrey Hills.

I have kept some of my fitness through commuting, so dead keen to hit the Saturday morning ride - fast or slow!!
    I had to read this about 3 times before I got what you meant.... I have been there, with all my free time swallowed up renovating. Hope you see the light at the end of the tunnel soon and get some weekend miles in!
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Yip, all sorted and then rented out within a space of a few days, so pretty relieved.

My last ride with RPCC was the week before the Fred Whitton, towards the beginning of May!! Just looked at the latest Boxhill times, wow there are some really quick times, so I can see why the talk of slow and fast group... Everyone has improved a hang of a lot.

I have entered the Surrey Legs of Steel (26 Sept) - anyone else doing it?
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047

I have entered the Surrey Legs of Steel (26 Sept) - anyone else doing it?

Well i have entered the long route and was supposed to be training ALL this week. However after only 2km into my ride on Saturday i discovered a problem with my Bottom Bracket.

It is getting repaired tomorrow evening but has thrown all my plans out of the window. So at the moment i do not know if i will go ahead with the event, or i may do the Ride Of The Falling Leaves the following weekend instead.
    On the plus side i am getting a 12-27 cassette installed to replace my 12-25 and a nice new shiny Gold KMC Chain 8) :shock: .No comments about the bling factor please, I am getting it for the hard wearing Ti Coating HONEST!!! :wink: :oops:
  • felgen
    NWLondoner wrote:
    On the plus side i am getting a 12-27 cassette installed to replace my 12-25 and a nice new shiny Gold KMC Chain 8) :shock: .No comments about the bling factor please, I am getting it for the hard wearing Ti Coating HONEST!!! :wink: :oops:
    Both Rich-Ti and I have been swayed by the superior surface wear properties that a titanium-nitride finish brings to a chain, nothing at all to do with the bling whatsoever ;)

Sorry to hear you bought a 12-27, as I have a low mileage (500) one on my training wheels, which is frankly annoying me and I would have swapped it for your 12-25 ho-hum.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • voxegam
    Felgen....you found out whether you're busy tomorrow?.....Or anyone else for that matter....can I tempt you out on a medium-fast paced ride round the surrey hills?
    Trek Madone 6.5 Pro
  • J09
    J09 Posts: 122
    Count me in for a saturday reasonbly paced ride.
  • I'll probably be out Saturday
    voxegam wrote:
    Felgen....you found out whether you're busy tomorrow?.....Or anyone else for that matter....can I tempt you out on a medium-fast paced ride round the surrey hills?

If you fancy a ride on Friday I've got the day off work and was thinking of doing something along the lines of the 50-miler you guys did on Sunday
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    phips wrote:
    Berns12 wrote:
    Just as a matter of clarification for all lurkers, what is the consensus on the faster Sunday ride? Will it be based on the Dynamo fast ride "no stopping" policy (quite appropriate given the number of Dynamo's on board at RPCC) or is it a "steady together" up the climbs with no waiting at the top and then hoon it from BH dropping all and sundry or is it a "reasonable wait at the top of climbs" followed by no holes barred from BH?

We ran it last Sunday as a no stopping, no waiting. If you got spat, you got spat.

I can vouch for that - I'm not the fittest cat going around at the mo but I couldn't even last until getting to Box Hill....just don't have the power on the inclines to drag me up the hills like the light weights :wink:

Don't be fooled by 32kph avg, that is including traffic, hills et el - once on the open road speed gets pretty savage at times....I was slowing them down with my 30kph in the end. :oops:

In short, if you can't do RP in less than an hour, you WILL get spat out at some stage.

In saying that, still worth it if you want a flog fest.....I'm 50/50 on which day at this stage but will be out for one ride....maybe I'll let the weather dictate although if we do same route for the fast crew this week at least I know what I need to do to improve on last weeks effort :lol:

The long grazed legged one
  • felgen
    voxegam wrote:

Not busy, but potentially knackered.. have just had to go back into work, and may need to go back again. If i get a restful night on call then prob up for it.

New shoes arrived today - light, comfy, stiff as hell and ludicrously bling - if Nelly cycled, he would wear what I just got. Bargain, too!

p.s. james. have pm'ed you my number - text me tomorrow to try to organise something for the afternoon as I am at work until 2ish.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    felgen wrote:
    New shoes arrived today - light, comfy, stiff as hell and ludicrously bling - if Nelly cycled, he would wear what I just got. Bargain, too!
    Remind me what you got? My Sidis are giving me jip and it's my birthday next month so I reckon I might ask for some money towards some new ones... :?
  • felgen
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    Remind me what you got? My Sidis are giving me jip and it's my birthday next month so I reckon I might ask for some money towards some new ones... :?

Sidi Ergo 2 Bettini gold... so maybe another pair of Sidis are not what you need, but mine are very comfy. You could always try my old Nikes, :shock: which were excruciatingly painful when I tried to push it - prob worth 30 seconds on RP 3 lapper just because my feet aren't killing me. Anyway as I have been told time and again, look after the contact points.... finally I am doing so.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    felgen wrote:
    maybe anotherpair of Sidis are not what you need, but mine are very comfy.
    Not ruling out more Sidis - think the sole on mine is losing its rigidity (not carbon and bending more than I think they really should) and I'm getting hot spots on my feet :?

The Mavics look good and fit my wide feet well 8)
  • tyskie
    tyskie Posts: 252
    I'm gonna give it a miss this weekend and head to the Chilterns instead. I need to ensure that the maximum number of people benefit from seeing my bike before it gets chipped/scratched/paint fades/hit by car/wife chucks it out of the house. :wink:

Will defintely be on the RPCC rides on a regular basis though. Have really enjoyed the routes and company so far. The Sunday painfest (no-stopping ride) looks good but I need to get my fitness levels up a bit before trying that as I will certainly get spat out the back on the steeper hills.

Talking about new shoes. Anyone used both Specialized BG and Sidi's? I've got a pair of basic Specialized BG shoes at the minute and find them really comfy. Looking to upgrade and was going to go for some carbon soled Specialized but wouldn't mind Sidi's if they are a comparable shape.
  • tyskie wrote:

Talking about new shoes. Anyone used both Specialized BG and Sidi's? I've got a pair of basic Specialized BG shoes at the minute and find them really comfy. Looking to upgrade and was going to go for some carbon soled Specialized but wouldn't mind Sidi's if they are a comparable shape.

Tyskie,as a wide feet merchant I am using these at the moment,(5 months)

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... ctID=12422

and can quite catergorically state they are supremely comfortable,yes pricey i'll grant you,but worth every penny,never had a problem

8th March 2010,Spain ,Here I come !!!!!!
  • jrduquemin
    jrduquemin Posts: 791
    I use the Specialized BG Comp road shoes and have never had any problems with them. I have, however, just bought a pair of Shimano R086 shoes to go with my black/white road gear:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Shima ... 360038802/

I'd like to get out this coming Saturday as I've missed the past few and feel like I'm slacking a bit.
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • Myk-ee
    The emu wrote:
    I can vouch for that - I'm not the fittest cat going around at the mo but I couldn't even last until getting to Box Hill....just don't have the power on the inclines to drag me up the hills like the light weights :wink:

Don't be fooled by 32kph avg, that is including traffic, hills et el - once on the open road speed gets pretty savage at times....I was slowing them down with my 30kph in the end. :oops:

In short, if you can't do RP in less than an hour, you WILL get spat out at some stage.

In saying that, still worth it if you want a flog fest.....I'm 50/50 on which day at this stage but will be out for one ride....maybe I'll let the weather dictate although if we do same route for the fast crew this week at least I know what I need to do to improve on last weeks effort :lol:

Oh Emu.. :? I wanna give you a big man hug for your run :shock: I think you were just having a bad day, as you should have been able to hang on.. Next time, :twisted:

I have some slightly less Sidi bling and they're brilliant for me. Like all shoes though you gotta try on as many as you can and get the ones that fit, that and a stiff sole!