Astarloza postive

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Does that mean Casar gets the stage win instead?
    In theory he'll be suspended from the day of the positive test, so yes. Not much consolation to Casar though, poor guy.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    edited July 2009
    Timoid. wrote:
    Ah well. Bit of a shame. I enjoyed his stage win above all the others. The release of raw emotion of pent up career frustration.

I feel sorry for him.

I'm surprised you "feel sorry for him". In lots of your previous posts you seem to be pretty much anti drug. Not trying to be a smart *ss. Just commenting. It's very slow and boring here at work.
  • jim one
    jim one Posts: 183
    Cant be as bad for Casar as Kim Kirchen though he should have stood on the podium for 2 stage wins by now where at least Casar has won a stage outright before!!
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    That makes it 5 out of the top 14 on stage 10 of last year who have now tested positive.

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/200 ... s/tour0810
  • I really can't understand the great release of pent up emotion at a stage win, when the rider has knowingly cheated. Either denial is a very very strong mechanism, or said persom feels the playing field is level , hence doesn't perceive him/herself as a cheat. One could be pleased at the financial rewards etc. , but such genuine emotion is odd.
    Dan
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Excellent news. It was looking like a slow Friday afternoon until this news came along!
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    First Landaluze, now Astarloza... although personally I won't believe it until I get confirmation from Ham & High.

He won't get his TDF win taken away because he didn't test positive in the race. Same goes for csp and his 12 points from PTP TDF :wink:
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    dennisn wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    Ah well. Bit of a shame. I enjoyed his stage win above all the others. The release of raw emotion of pent up career frustration.

I feel sorry for him.

I'm surprised you "feel sorry for him". In lots of your previous posts you seem to be pretty much anti drug. Not trying to be a smart *ss. Just commenting. It's very slow and boring here at work.

I am anti drug, but the pressure on these guys to perform must be immense. This guy probably doped all his career and finally bags a win and is busted within a couple of weeks.

But hey, he got his just deserts. He cheated. He was busted. End of.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    Speaking of Euskatel, any sign of Samuel Sanchez these days? I saw him on the start list for tomorrow but otherwise seems to be MIA.
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    2 positives in one season - isn't that supposed to lead to a short whole team suspension?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    dennisn wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

I feel sorry for him.

It must be extremely slow and boring for you to post in a thread where no-one's talking about Lance Armstrong.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    AndyRubio wrote:
    Speaking of Euskatel, any sign of Samuel Sanchez these days? I saw him on the start list for tomorrow but otherwise seems to be MIA.

Takes quite a few months to store up enough

CRIB_blood_cells.jpg

to win the Vuelta
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • jim one
    AndyRubio wrote:

He is aiming for the Vuelta this year as many top riders are absent or did the giro/tour double so he thinks he has a good shot at the win.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    afx237vi wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

I feel sorry for him.

It must be extremely slow and boring for you to post in a thread where no-one's talking about Lance Armstrong.

I agree. Whoa, did I say that out loud?
  • jamlala
    jamlala Posts: 284
    Busted. Cheat, Sling him out, no sympathy whatsoever.

I'm a Bath rugby supporter - how do you think I feel about whats happened there? The team I've supported since I was a child letting me down. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.
    Cannondale Supersix 105 2013- summer bike - love it!
    Cannondale CAAD12 - racing fun!
    Trek Crockett 5 - CX bike, muddy fun!
    Scott Scale 940 MTB XC racer.
    __@    
    _`\<,_   
    ---- (*)/ (*)
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    I bet Nicolas Roche is wondering if only he'd done a bit better in the sprint for what seemed like 2nd place at the time... I guess nowadays it's worth sprinting for 2nd, just in case.
  • jim one
    I bet Nicolas Roche is wondering if only he'd done a bit better in the sprint for what seemed like 2nd place at the time... I guess nowadays it's worth sprinting for 2nd, just in case.

Remember the stage last year when Ricco went off like a motorbike past Lang to win the stage.....Paul Sherwan was going on about why was the ag2r rider Efimkin attacking the pack with 5km to go wasting energy for 2nd place when there was a summit finish the next day.....turns out he won that stage with Ricco removed from the results :lol:
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    If this is a positive from before the tour -- will/did he test positive with his stage win?
  • andyp wrote:
    I thought the EPO era was over. Did someone neglect to tell Mikel?

It is.

again... this is not a case where he injected EPO directly in the amounts that may have given the theoretic 10 to 20% preformance advantage before there were tests for EPO and the CERA.

There are still some uses for EPO but they are for programs that give a much smaller result, therefor the sport is cleaner than it was.

This was an out of competition test. A rider is still temped to use small amounts of EPO in training that won't last long in his system or use it to treat Reticulocytes in stored blood that they could be using to train up towards an event. (1)

The sad thing is that the results from this kind of use are not great and you can see from his results in general that it didn't make him into a thoroughbred.

There's an evolution going on. From injecting EPO during a stage race, now you get caught, to using mirco doses or micro dosing stored blood and using it during a race, you now get caught, to taking the risk of micro dosing that are only detectible for short periods, between races, for benefits that clearly won't last 3 weeks anyway, and now they are catching that to.

They are boxing them in and making the size of the box ever smaller.

I'm not hearing anything credible on new undetectable products that are in use right now. That is not to say there won't be, but passport is removing programs that carry more oxygen to the muscles through monitoring blood profiles. There is a point, especially in climbing, where all the available oxygen has been removed from the blood and the muscles just can't do any more work. When that happens the signal goes to the brain to breath more and there's a limit on how much you can breath. It's called being winded or gassed. If you look at drawn blood from endurance atheles even at rest, it's almost black, not red.

Passport is working to make the group cleaner and more equal. Thinking that doping will ever stop is naive.

(1) http://www.bicycling.com/tourdefrance/a ... -3,00.html
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    iainf72 wrote:
    No need to doubt me kids. I'm all seeing :wink:
    Gloating ????
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Hey stegosaurus isn't is passed your bedtime? Oh well, if you insist staying up and contributing pointless remarks to a mature forum, I suggest you get distracted by this as it will be sure to entertain you more:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/fun/
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rockmount
    Hey stegosaurus isn't is passed your bedtime? Oh well, if you insist staying up and contributing pointless remarks to a mature forum, I suggest you get distracted by this as it will be sure to entertain you more:

Get back to your pictures of pistolero, and a box of kleenex
  • rockmount
    rockmount wrote:

Get back to your pictures of pistolero, and a box of kleenex
    Or are you a schoolgirl, have I been mistaking you for a little schoolboy with a man crush :lol::lol::lol:
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:
    I refuse to believe until you provide a link to a report in the Katmandu Gazette

Will the Khaleej Times do?

:wink:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    So disappointed, love following the team as I love underdogs and I have an Orbea! No excuse though, if he is guilty then its banned for life in my book.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    iainf72 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    I refuse to believe until you provide a link to a report in the Katmandu Gazette

Will the Khaleej Times do?

:wink:

Ha, Ha! That'll do for me.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • aarw
    aarw Posts: 448

Nico' chain came off with 300m to go. He was well pissed off.
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    afx237vi wrote:
    First Landaluze, now Astarloza... although personally I won't believe it until I get confirmation from Ham & High.

He won't get his TDF win taken away because he didn't test positive in the race. Same goes for csp and his 12 points from PTP TDF :wink:

It doesn't really matter, Sastre ruined my Tour campaign, anyway.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Miserable - just miserable :cry:
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Timoid. wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

I feel sorry for him.

I am anti drug, but the pressure on these guys to perform must be immense. This guy probably doped all his career and finally bags a win and is busted within a couple of weeks.

But hey, he got his just deserts. He cheated. He was busted. End of.

+1