Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

Where's the best place in Europe for cycling?

BhimaBhima Posts: 2,145
edited July 2009 in The bottom bracket
Where should I go and live to have access to the best cycling roads/hills/scenery/weather/etc?

Thinking of leaving the UK for a couple of years and hanging out in Europe, to do a bit of cycling. Got mates in each of those countries so it shouldn't be too hard to move and set up somewhere else.

Where's the best place in Europe for cycling? 0 votes

France
0% 0 votes
Spain
0% 0 votes
Italy
0% 0 votes
Swizerland
0% 0 votes
Lithuania
0% 0 votes
Netherlands
0% 0 votes

• a_n_ta_n_t Posts: 2,011
    banana republic?
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • nicensleazynicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    Having lived in Italy for quite a few years, this country would certainly get my vote. The roads, the people, the food and regional delights!
  • Special KSpecial K Posts: 449
    All great countries to cycle in.

However, for a few good months, say February through to October, I would go to Greece.

Explore the mainland, the spine of the Balkans, maybe cross over into Albania or FYROM for a little bit of danger. There is certainly plenty of scenery and like a lot of France the roads are pretty empty and the drivers surprisingly considerate to cyclists. Plus you have the novelty factor of being the bloke on the bike.

It's a route less travelled, a little different and will be an experience.
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan
  • I've really enjoyed my trips to Spain, but would have to say it doesn't seem great if you intend using the bike-train combination much: services are patchy, and according to the timetables/railway info most don't take bikes (even if bagged--there's a general 75cm :shock: size limit on luggage).

All the Spanish cyclists I met on the road had either ridden out from home or driven to the start of their ride.
  • If you dont mind the lack of hills, Id have to say Holland, I lived there for a while and loved cycling there, I love hills aswell and came back to Scotland :)
    Skinny Git on a Bianchi.
  • Captain FagorCaptain Fagor Posts: 1,768
    Somewhere that doesn't have internet access.
  • Chip \'oylerChip \'oyler Posts: 2,349
    You forgot to add Belgium in your list
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!