Where's the best place in Europe for cycling?

Bhima
Bhima Posts: 2,145
edited July 2009 in The bottom bracket
Where should I go and live to have access to the best cycling roads/hills/scenery/weather/etc?

Thinking of leaving the UK for a couple of years and hanging out in Europe, to do a bit of cycling. Got mates in each of those countries so it shouldn't be too hard to move and set up somewhere else.

Comments

• a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    banana republic?
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • nicensleazy
    nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    Having lived in Italy for quite a few years, this country would certainly get my vote. The roads, the people, the food and regional delights!
  • Special K
    Special K Posts: 449
    All great countries to cycle in.

However, for a few good months, say February through to October, I would go to Greece.

Explore the mainland, the spine of the Balkans, maybe cross over into Albania or FYROM for a little bit of danger. There is certainly plenty of scenery and like a lot of France the roads are pretty empty and the drivers surprisingly considerate to cyclists. Plus you have the novelty factor of being the bloke on the bike.

It's a route less travelled, a little different and will be an experience.
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan
  • I've really enjoyed my trips to Spain, but would have to say it doesn't seem great if you intend using the bike-train combination much: services are patchy, and according to the timetables/railway info most don't take bikes (even if bagged--there's a general 75cm :shock: size limit on luggage).

All the Spanish cyclists I met on the road had either ridden out from home or driven to the start of their ride.
  • If you dont mind the lack of hills, Id have to say Holland, I lived there for a while and loved cycling there, I love hills aswell and came back to Scotland :)
    Skinny Git on a Bianchi.
  • Somewhere that doesn't have internet access.
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    You forgot to add Belgium in your list
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!