Today I went to Epic Cycles and I.......

Comments

• Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    biondino wrote:
    That's the ugliest top tube ever!
    Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.
    Sabbath used to be called Sunday :)
    Ah yes, that's it. Sunday, Seven , Sabbath - do you blame me for getting a bit confused!?
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Well, the rest of the bike is pretty, but that top tube looks like one of those sweets that's a foamy white on one side and a translucent jelly on the other, you know the kind I mean?
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    biondino wrote:
    Well, the rest of the bike is pretty, but that top tube looks like one of those sweets that's a foamy white on one side and a translucent jelly on the other, you know the kind I mean?

now you say it, yes....
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    biondino wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    How stiff do you want the frame to be? The Scott CR1 frame is stiff enough for the Avergae Joe's (i.e. moi) needs, and I can weigh up to 13st. It's significantly cheaper than the Perfecta (that's not to say I'm not staring slightly misty eyed at the Viners and Orbeas :D ), just that you can buy a frame that's cheaper than what you're looking which is plenty stiff enough for your needs.

I can't take Scotts seriously! Just a name thing. Besides, I really just need a few commiserations that I have to get a Perfecta rather than a Magnifica rather than a load of very logical, well reasoned arguments why I should get something cheaper and less Italian!!

I know, I was boggling at CJ too. "Sir may be entranced by the Bugatti, but we have a very reasonably priced Volvo which does just as good a job"
    /quote]

Now look here you two. I'm not suggesting Rolf buys a Volvo or a Renault Megane or something, just that something that's a grand cheaper, but will produce more or less the same ride.

And, Volvos are brilliant btw.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Biondino, Roastie - I see what you mean about the modern steel frame bikes - Viner does one too - all very nice aside from the lack of quill stems. Trouble is, I'd probably rather have a genuine vintage steel bike than a modern copy. Besides, I don't think either the Colnago or Bianchi are true products of Italy - do either make any frames in Italy anymore? BTW why do Colnago overdo that wretched cloverleaf so much - they stick them everywhere!

Trouble with the Scott, (even if I could live with the brand!) is frame size. I will ask when I go back to Epic next but I suspect the geometry won't suit me any more than the standard Viner geometry. I'd imagine the Magnifica would be similar to the Scott and that is a fair bit cheaper than a Perfecta but I still won't fit it! I'll see if I can't give one a go when I go down next though - got to keep an open mind.

Still, LiT understands me - what was it you said?!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Something about the perfecta and how you should get it... I don't recall exactly... :D

And it sounds like you're one of the few people out there who genuinely need custom geometry, and, in all seriousness, there are very few companies who put together custom frames for less than Viner, so it's kind of an obvious choice.

See? I was right all along. :P
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Rolf F wrote:
    Besides, I don't think either the Colnago or Bianchi are true products of Italy - do either make any frames in Italy anymore?
    Colnago - YES!! Apart from one or two of their entry level frames. Their made to measure carbon series frames are just about as thoroughbred as you'll get.

Bianchi - their steel stuff is definitely Italian, not sure of the rest.
    Rolf F wrote:
    BTW why do Colnago overdo that wretched cloverleaf so much - they stick them everywhere!
    Heathen.
  • cjcp
    Cyfac produce lovely custom frames:

http://veloeuropa.com/cyfac/cyfac/cyfac ... fcarb.html

blocks_image_0_1.png
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rolf_f
    Something about the perfecta and how you should get it... I don't recall exactly... :D

And it sounds like you're one of the few people out there who genuinely need custom geometry, and, in all seriousness, there are very few companies who put together custom frames for less than Viner, so it's kind of an obvious choice.

Thanks for clarifying that about getting the Perfecta - to be honest, you were a bit vague about it before!

As a matter of interest, did your Maxima turn out to have a fairly standard geometry (not trying to get you to own up to having a wierd shape!)

cjcp - those Cyfac frames do look nice - they don't cost it though :shock:

Anyway, got to work out what to do next. I can get a B2W voucher between 15th August and 18th September so need to sort something out soonish.
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Rolf F wrote:
    Something about the perfecta and how you should get it... I don't recall exactly... :D

Thanks for clarifying that about getting the Perfecta - to be honest, you were a bit vague about it before!

As a matter of interest, did your Maxima turn out to have a fairly standard geometry (not trying to get you to own up to having a wierd shape!)

cjcp - those Cyfac frames do look nice - they don't cost it though :shock:

Anyway, got to work out what to do next. I can get a B2W voucher between 15th August and 18th September so need to sort something out soonish.

Bite the bullet and get a Maxima - you won't be disappointed. I've had mine nearly a year now and still get excited about wanting to ride it.

If you're a strange shape it makes sense.
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    My alloy with carbon stay's Bianchi Via Nirone has a big "Made in Italy" sticker on it. I presume that they are not lying. Not sure why you would think that a traditional Italian brand that makes it's bikes in Italy is not a true Italian.

Viners are ugly and garish, in my humble opinion. I'd take a Colnago any day of the week.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Stuey01 wrote:
    My alloy with carbon stay's Bianchi Via Nirone has a big "Made in Italy" sticker on it. I presume that they are not lying. Not sure why you would think that a traditional Italian brand that makes it's bikes in Italy is not a true Italian.

Viners are ugly and garish, in my humble opinion. I'd take a Colnago any day of the week.

The Viner graphics are an acquired taste, but ugly bikes? Wouldn't agree with that. Colnagos are lovely though.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    StuAff wrote:
    Stuey01 wrote:

The Viner graphics are an acquired taste, but ugly bikes? Wouldn't agree with that. Colnagos are lovely though.

It's just the graphics aren't for me. The shape of the bike itself is just fine.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • rolf_f
    Bite the bullet and get a Maxima - you won't be disappointed. I've had mine nearly a year now and still get excited about wanting to ride it.

If you're a strange shape it makes sense.

Strange me shape is covered by the Perfecta and Celer - however tempting a Maxima is, I have to draw the line somewhere!

Did read something somewhere about the composite framed Bianchis being made in Italy - or at least the rear triangles being fitted there. Apparently the carbon framed only and alloy only bikes certainly aren't Italian. Either way, Bianchi don't seem very commited to Italian frame manufacture in the way Viner still are.

As for the Viner paint jobs, I don't think the Magnifica is garish but anyway, apparently if you ask nicely they'll do any paint job you like; no need to stick with the standard ones. They might not even charge extra if it is a simple one. The Epic cycles race team Celers are rather nice (and discrete) looking to me.
  • Chip \'oyler
    You can get custom paint jobs on Viners if their paint specs don't do it for you

• stuaff
    You can get custom paint jobs on Viners if their paint specs don't do it for you

Custom paint on the Maxima only, I think. BTW, your bike's scheme's lovely, posted the pic from weightweenies over here a while back.
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • rolf_f
    StuAff wrote:

Custom paint on the Maxima only, I think. BTW, your bike's scheme's lovely, posted the pic from weightweenies over here a while back.

Chris at Epic said they'd even do last years paint job if you preferred it to the current. Ultimately, they are a small company and if they are making a bespoke frame for you, they'd be mad to potentially lose a sale over the paint job.

Still, the paint jobs generally get nicer the further up the scale you go.

This isn't garish though......

viner-team-bike-1000.jpg
  • cjcp
    That's nice. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Rolf, to answer your previous question, my maxima came up relatively normal, apart from having a rather long head tube - I'm long in leg and short in the torso, you see, so needed it. I would have fitted relatively well onto one of their OTP models, but didn't want it!! :D
  • stuaff
    Rolf F wrote:
    Chris at Epic said they'd even do last years paint job if you preferred it to the current. Ultimately, they are a small company and if they are making a bespoke frame for you, they'd be mad to potentially lose a sale over the paint job.

Still, the paint jobs generally get nicer the further up the scale you go.

Thanks, wasn't aware of that. I do like my Magnifica's job, even if I think it doesn't need the bike's name all over the shop. Both my Dahons have very restrained graphics in comparison.. I wonder if Viner would do a 'stealth bike' (no logos whatsoever), Trek's Project One site seems to give that kind of option.....
  • Chip \'oyler
    StuAff wrote:

Thanks.

All I asked Viner to do was replace the 'colour' on their 08 schemes with white. But my bike is a strange hybrid, because it has the 09 Graphics/logo on the seat tube.

You can customise any Viner's colour scheme - but it does cost extra (not on the Maxima though).

• Very glad to hear such resounding approval of both the Orca and Epic Cycles, as it is indeed an epic trip to get there. I'm off to Epic tomorrow to try out an Orbea Orca - have been lusting after this one for ages.
    http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/images/Orb ... l-1000.jpg
    Though I fear I may be too short for it.

I too find the viners a bit garish for my liking in their paint jobs.
  • CdrJake
    CdrJake Posts: 296
    +1 for the Viner.

I would buy one myself, but I am banned from buying any more bikes at the moment. :(
    twitter: @JakeM1969
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Very glad to hear such resounding approval of both the Orca and Epic Cycles, as it is indeed an epic trip to get there. I'm off to Epic tomorrow to try out an Orbea Orca - have been lusting after this one for ages.

I wouldn't worry too much as they have got the equivalent for women. It is called the Orca Diva

http://www.orbea.com/en/bicis/modelos/d ... sentacion/

I know that some top level female cyclists contributed to its design.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Very glad to hear such resounding approval of both the Orca and Epic Cycles, as it is indeed an epic trip to get there. I'm off to Epic tomorrow to try out an Orbea Orca - have been lusting after this one for ages.

Say hi to Chris from me! :D

And enjoy the Orca - good-looking bikes. Try as many bikes as you can while you're there!
  • Thanks Gabriel. Looks nice though I feel sure I'd get a LOT of stick for riding a bike that defines me as a diva!?! Generally speaking I've tended towards male bikes though, because I was told that my proportions of long torso / short legs is more masculine. It'll be interesting to see whether Epic agree with that, or whether it's an old wives' tale.
  • stuaff
    Have fun. Orca does indeed look good. BTW, not all the Viner paint jobs are garish- the Magnifica one is now more restrained than mine. And you could always get custom paint on it... But there are plenty of great bikes at Epic...happy shopping!
  • oh, and yes of course LiT, I'll say hi from you.

I'm hoping to try out a few, certainly! Any other recommendations in the under 2.5k bracket?

Very excited...
  • That Orbea ain't sporting exactly what I'd call a sober paint job ...[/b]
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • oh, and yes of course LiT, I'll say hi from you.

I'm hoping to try out a few, certainly! Any other recommendations in the under 2.5k bracket?

Very excited...

Ask them! All mine have the word 'Viner' before them... or check out their website and see what takes your fancy.