Radio Shack Riders

Comments

• Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Mettan wrote:
    bipedal wrote:
    Schlecks have confirmed they're staying with saxo - phew!

Thank god for that :D
    Riis will have advised them what it would be like, being on a team with an ambitious old-timer reluctant to let go -- the role he played vs the young Ullrich in 96 and 97.
  • Noosa
    Noosa Posts: 15
    Brice Feiliu a definate on Radio Shack by all accounts
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    According to rumours in the tech industry, we may have Team The Shack rather than Team RadioShack. The company may well change its name to try to shake out of its rut. What a healthy and vital sponsor our Texan friend has brought into cycling!

A light take on the news:
    http://technologizer.com/2009/08/03/nin ... -its-name/

with a ling to the fabulous:
    http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    drenkrom wrote:
    According to rumours in the tech industry, we may have Team The Shack rather than Team RadioShack. The company may well change its name to try to shake out of its rut. What a healthy and vital sponsor our Texan friend has brought into cycling!

And lately, you have brought who or whom in as cycling sponsors? I'm sure I'll recognize the name or names.
  • dennisn wrote:
    drenkrom wrote:

And lately, you have brought who or whom in as cycling sponsors? I'm sure I'll recognize the name or names.

WTF, who cares who his sponsor is?
  • dennisn
    dennisn wrote:
    drenkrom wrote:

WTF, who cares who his sponsor is?

I don't think anyone does. Much like most other sponsors. It doesn't matter. It's only advertising.
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    dennisn wrote:
    drenkrom wrote:

WTF kind of a 2nd grade-schoolyard argument is that? Is your father stronger than mine as well?

Are you saying no brouhaha has been made of the entry of RadioShack as a sponsor of a new team next year? Are you saying I've been making the PR rounds to talk about the "exciting involvement of this active new sponsor"? Are you saying a company considering changing a name it's held since its inception (minus the space between "Radio" and "Shack") has to be in full financial health? Are you saying RadioShack is a financially healthy, dynamic company that will revitalize the US cycling sponsorship market? If the answer is "yes", you made your point all wrong. If the answer is "no", you made no point at all.

I'm sure you wouldn't have moved a pinky finger towards the keyboard had there been no LA allusion in there! Who's obsessed, exactly?

Bottom line: RadioShack may become The Shack.
  • dennisn
    drenkrom wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    drenkrom wrote:

WTF kind of a 2nd grade-schoolyard argument is that? Is your father stronger than mine as well?

Are you saying no brouhaha has been made of the entry of RadioShack as a sponsor of a new team next year? Are you saying I've been making the PR rounds to talk about the "exciting involvement of this active new sponsor"? Are you saying a company considering changing a name it's held since its inception (minus the space between "Radio" and "Shack") has to be in full financial health? Are you saying RadioShack is a financially healthy, dynamic company that will revitalize the US cycling sponsorship market? If the answer is "yes", you made your point all wrong. If the answer is "no", you made no point at all.

I'm sure you wouldn't have moved a pinky finger towards the keyboard had there been no LA allusion in there! Who's obsessed, exactly?

Bottom line: RadioShack may become The Shack.

Just asking what you have done for cycling lately. If you've got a better sponsor, or two, then I'm sure someone will soon be talking to you. Who are the ones you have lined up?
    You seem to know who and what are good for cycling. Let's see you go "out there" and
    come up with all the answers.
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    dennisn wrote:
    Just asking what you have done for cycling lately. If you've got a better sponsor, or two, then I'm sure someone will soon be talking to you. Who are the ones you have lined up?You seem to know who and what are good for cycling. Let's see you go "out there" and come up with all the answers.

I always seem to read dennisn's posts in a Stuey Griffin voice, it works so well. :lol:
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    Noosa wrote:
    Brice Feiliu a definate on Radio Shack by all accounts

he can kiss goodbye to stage wins then... Wonder if romain made the cut?
  • dennisn
    Noodley wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Just asking what you have done for cycling lately. If you've got a better sponsor, or two, then I'm sure someone will soon be talking to you. Who are the ones you have lined up?You seem to know who and what are good for cycling. Let's see you go "out there" and come up with all the answers.

I always seem to read dennisn's posts in a Stuey Griffin voice, it works so well. :lol:

You'll have to pardon me if I don't "get it". Not a clue who Stuey is. I'm old and out of touch with things. I gotta get out more. Now, if you would have said Larry, Moe, or Curly I'd have been on top of it.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    dennisn wrote:
    Just asking what you have done for cycling lately. If you've got a better sponsor, or two, then I'm sure someone will soon be talking to you. Who are the ones you have lined up?
    You seem to know who and what are good for cycling. Let's see you go "out there" and

I think his point is that if "The Shack" is the best Lance can do then that's a bit of a worry. Rumours of Oracle were more interesting.

Looking critically at sponsors is important - Remember this?

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/t ... ptcy-19504
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • dennisn
    iainf72 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

I think his point is that if "The Shack" is the best Lance can do then that's a bit of a worry. Rumours of Oracle were more interesting.

Looking critically at sponsors is important - Remember this?

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/t ... ptcy-19504

I know what you're saying. But this is the real world and companies have problems all the time. Maybe Radio Shack has a new plan to turn it around. It could work. Looks like they are trying to get their name out there a bit more. It may work or they may go down, but I think any sponsor is a potential failure in that respect. Who would have thought that General Motors would go down? In cycling's perfect world these things don't happen but
    we all know how likely perfection is. Reminds me of a saying I once heard. If you wait for that perfect day to go skiing, you'll never go skiing.
  • I'm not sure that either Horner or LL are so certain to join radio shack.

I dont think either are that enamoured with armstrong, after all they didn't join his team he came out of retirement and joined theirs. If either of them had expressed concern about his arrival they knew all too well that they may just as well throw away their USA passports and apply for Spanish citizenship, such would have been the furore against them.

I remember when Horner was racing back in the USA after his unsuccessful stint at FDJ and winning everything he entered. Asked why he didnt have another crack at Europe with the US Postal Team he said "Armstrong", and pretty much stated they hated each other.

Who's decision was it not to include Horner in this year's TdF? A lot of people seem to say it was Contador's - but if his influence on the team was so big he couldn't even get a team car to take him to the ITT when he was leading the race, I doubt if he had any say in team selection at all.

As for LL I am pretty sure he and Armstrong fell out around the time he finished fourth in the Vuelta, and he soon left the team for Rabo.

Personally, and this is just a guess I think both Horner and LL will be joining Team Sky next season.

LL becomes team leader, Horner the "experiance" that Sky bosses allude to.
    Course I'm probably wrong....
    Thanks
    Podofdonny
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Horner: "I have talked with Lance and Johan some already, but nothing is set yet."

http://blog.oregonlive.com/horner/2009/ ... _sure.html

And some interesting comments from when he first joined Astana:

http://velonews.com/article/13695

"It’s pretty clear to me, without knowing for sure, that it was never Johan Bruyneel holding me off the team when it was Postal or Discovery. I’m pretty sure it was never Johan Bruyneel holding me off that team, but you’d have to go and ask Lance himself. Maybe they already had so many good riders, and they didn’t know me that well. It seemed to me that Johan Bruyneel is a good director, and he knows I’m a good rider, so if you put two and two together… Of course that is not fact, just opinion.At the end of the day, Lance had the team that he wanted around him, and for whatever reason I wasn’t part of that.

The whole interview is pretty revealing when you view it in hindsight.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Mettan wrote:
    bipedal wrote:

"Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Attica wrote:
    Mettan wrote:
    bipedal wrote:

Hasn't Lance learnt his lesson about being on the same team as people who are younger and stronger than him!?
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Roscobob
    Roscobob Posts: 344
    Jez mon wrote:
    Attica wrote:
    Mettan wrote:
    bipedal wrote:

Hasn't Lance learnt his lesson about being on the same team as people who are younger and stronger than him!?

Might be different if Schleck has agreed to ride for him rather than compete with him.
  • bug-off
    bug-off Posts: 24
    Thanks for the link drenkrom.

You should all check out www.RadioShackCatalogs.com :D

See an archive of old 1939-2005 Radio Shack Catalogs, commercials, old store photos, and other cool stuff!!! Ahhhhh...the way it used to be...the way it should always be...RADIO SHACK.
  • dennisn
    Jez mon wrote:
    Attica wrote:
    Mettan wrote:
    bipedal wrote:

I'm not sure that getting beat by someone younger in ONE race proves much of anything.
    There are all sorts of REASONS why people win or lose the TDF, age being just one of many. If what you say is true, how was it that Lance was able to beat a bunch of younger guys when he won his 7 TDF's?
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    edited August 2009
    Dear me Dennis, spot a light hearted joke when you see one

you should be more worried about my sig!!!
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Roscobob wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:
    Attica wrote:
    Mettan wrote:
    bipedal wrote:

Might be different if Schleck has agreed to ride for him rather than compete with him.

If they just want Andy as a dom, then they could surely get Frank as well, who is also an able domestique. Getting both would make it a far more interesting prospect for Andy surely.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    dennisn wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:
    Attica wrote:
    Mettan wrote:
    bipedal wrote:

I'm not sure that getting beat by someone younger in ONE race proves much of anything.
    There are all sorts of REASONS why people win or lose the TDF, age being just one of many. If what you say is true, how was it that Lance was able to beat a bunch of younger guys when he won his 7 TDF's?
    ..by the same token, are you suggesting that the other 177 competitors in this year's TDF should just give up, and find something else to do ??? I suppose next year's TDF might as well be cancelled, due to lack of competition ... why stop there ... what's the point of any road racing at all ???
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • Psst! There are only about half a dozen guys at any Tour that are actually trying to win the thing.
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    Psst! There are only about half a dozen guys at any Tour that are actually trying to win the thing.
    No sh1t Sherlock ... but the other five have no chance, and may as well take up bowls ... according to the previous post !!
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • TBH, I was having difficulty determining any meaning at all...in the previous post.
    Brain-fade? Maybe.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,041
    Jez mon wrote:
    If they just want Andy as a dom, then they could surely get Frank as well, who is also an able domestique. Getting both would make it a far more interesting prospect for Andy surely.

Nah, Lance doesn't want them both, those 2 could make up an impenetrable unit which might turn on him at any point.

Lance wants 'Divide and Rule'.
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    Why would Andy want to be a domestique for Armstrong? Unless he is being paid shedloads of money ...
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    GeorgeShaw wrote:
    Why would Andy want to be a domestique for Armstrong? Unless he is being paid shedloads of money ...
    teagar wrote:
    I really can't see Devolder going anywhere. Why would he go to a team which has absolutely no interest in the northern classics?
    Why does anybody do anything? Ker-CHING!
  • Robert Gesink????
    Great young climber
    Road away from Contodor, Evans, and Valverde.