Radio Shack Riders

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited October 2009 in Pro race
Klodi
Popo
Rast
Har Mar Z

Rumour has it they want Andy Schleck but not Frank, but Andy won't go sans Frank.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    Andy needs to grip up and let Frank look after himself. It's sweet how they are brothers and all that nice sentimentality but it's not really getting him anywhere while he's looking back down the road for the less-gifted sibling.
  • jim one
    jim one Posts: 183
    Levi and Horner surely in the mix as well I'd have thought
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    I heard that LA asked Brice Feillu to join?
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    On one of the procycling podcasts, the observation was made that the Schelck Bros appeared to be riding a tandem in this year's Tour...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Seriously - isn't trying to get Andy just a ploy to control him in next year's Tour?

Why would Lance want him otherwise? It would just be the same situation as this year - all over again.

I can see them wanting to sign him for 2011 though....
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,871
    DaveyL wrote:
    On one of the procycling podcasts, the observation was made that the Schelck Bros appeared to be riding a tandem in this year's Tour...

:lol:
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    Andy would be silly to go to Radioshack. He needs to stay with a team that will support him and him alone as leader. Then maybe he can challenge Contador next year.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    Andy joining LanceShack = Roberto Heras joining Postal. How many times did Roberto win the Tour, again?
  • alex16zx
    alex16zx Posts: 153
    I think Andy thinks that by staying with Frank he will always have someone he can share the workload with a lot of the time. Frank may not be as good as Andy but he is still good enough to keep up in breakaways etc., and if every other rider is without teammates and they're together then they can try and dominate. Didn't quite work out like that in the tour though.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Prime candidate. See him here racing in the Designa Grand Prix 2009:

Michael_Rasmussen_stor.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    alex16zx wrote:
    I think Andy thinks that by staying with Frank he will always have someone he can share the workload with a lot of the time. Frank may not be as good as Andy but he is still good enough to keep up in breakaways etc., and if every other rider is without teammates and they're together then they can try and dominate. Didn't quite work out like that in the tour though.

Agreed - and then there's the "mental side" of it - good emotional backup and support throughout a race.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    Also, they said in an interview a while abck that they wouldn't be able to race against each other, attack each other etc. It would just be too weird for them.

Strangly similar to LA not being able to race against JB.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,041
    Gutted if Klodi joins Lance, but he is the uber-domestique, and therefore just the sort of sacrificial lamb Lance wants on side. Hope he treats him with due respect.

Perhaps LA could sign up Rassmussen......................ChickenShack! :lol: :oops:
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited October 2012
    Rogers riding nicely with Lance...
    Contador is the Greatest
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    Gutted if Klodi joins Lance, but he is the uber-domestique, and therefore just the sort of sacrificial lamb Lance wants on side. Hope he treats him with due respect.

Klodi seems to prefer it that way - he clearly wasn't comfortable being the leader of T-Mobile when Ullrich got binned

He seems to like pocketing a top salary with none of the pressure to lead the team
  • secretsqirrel
    bipedal wrote:

Klodi seems to prefer it that way - he clearly wasn't comfortable being the leader of T-Mobile when Ullrich got binned

He seems to like pocketing a top salary with none of the pressure to lead the team

Too true. Clever guy!

Also some teams may be put off by his past, but I think really as far as ASO, UCI and such are concerned, he is on a par with Frank S., and even Contador etc. He has fallen out with the German Cycling Fed, but so what.

IMHO he is a great asset to a GT win aspiring team.
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Any mention of Basso yet?
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Robmanic1 wrote:

That would annoy me a large amount.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • secretsqirrel
    iainf72 wrote:
    Robmanic1 wrote:

Sorry Iain, but there has always been a Lance/Ivan thing going on. I have seen Overcoming :wink:
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    Maybe they'll sign Vinokourov

:P
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    So let's get this right, Team Radio Shack at next year's Tour:

Armstorng
    Schleck the Younger
    Leipheimer
    Kloeden
    Horner
    Basso
    Rasmussen
    Popovych
    Zubeldia
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    iainf72 wrote:
    Robmanic1 wrote:

Sorry Iain, but there has always been a Lance/Ivan thing going on. I have seen Overcoming :wink:

Funnily enough, that was in the back of my mind.

Ok, how about I throw Landis in to the mix? (where's the damn tongue-in-cheek emoticon?)
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    So let's get this right, Team Radio Shack at next year's Tour:

Armstorng
    Schleck the Younger
    Leipheimer
    Kloeden
    Horner
    Basso
    Rasmussen
    Popovych
    Zubeldia

I'm guessing the Green Jersey isn't a top priority.

I believe JB will be looking for an historic 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 finish.

I'll set that team up in Pro Cycling Manager and see if I can emulate it.
  • GroupOfOne MkII
    GroupOfOne MkII Posts: 1,289
    Surely Shleck the younger will just look at Contador's problems this year and say 'Err no thanks guys'. Unless he wants to spend 2010 being told to tow Lance to the bottom of the final climb then I doubt he'd join Radio Shack. On the other hand, since when have cyclists done the sensible thing!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Surely Shleck the younger will just look at Contador's problems this year and say 'Err no thanks guys'. Unless he wants to spend 2010 being told to tow Lance to the bottom of the final climb then I doubt he'd join Radio Shack. On the other hand, since when have cyclists done the sensible thing!

Then there is always "the money". I've been known to do jobs I didn't like for "the money".
    Cyclist, like other athletes do have a limited time frame to make the big dollar.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    dennisn wrote:

Then there is always "the money". I've been known to do jobs I didn't like for "the money".
    Cyclist, like other athletes do have a limited time frame to make the big dollar.

Too true, "the money" can make up for any number of privations. If there's one thing my mate's experiences of the lower rungs of pro-cycling have told me it's that theres sod all glory involved.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • GroupOfOne MkII
    GroupOfOne MkII Posts: 1,289
    Oh no, I can definitely see the temptation to take the money, but you'd think if you were in Andy's position (ie the best GT rider other than Contador) then you'd want to at least have one more clean shot at going for the Tour before being subverted. After all, I'm pretty sure he's being paid reasonably well with Saxo Bank.
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    People are forgetting that LA himself has said he'll do only one more Tour in 2010.

So the pitch to Andy S surely is "help me beat that Spanish git next year then you have the total support of my super-team and the benefits of my know-how and that of the Hog to dominate the race after that."

Andy's still a youngster and I reckon that would make an intriguing offer with a big potential payback for one year of subjugation....
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Why would Andy go from a team where he's the leader and has a chance to win the TDF (and a strong team) to a team where he'd have to wait till Lance is done before he can be the leader? Doesn't make sense.

According to Velonews, the riders expected to go to RadioShack:

Lance Armstrong
    Levi Leipheimer,
    Yaroslav Popovych,
    Andreas Kloden,
    Chris Horner,
    Haimar Zubeldia
    Janez Brajkovic
    Tomas Vaitkus.

Now THAT'S a grand tour team!
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    donrhummy wrote:
    Why would Andy go from a team where he's the leader and has a chance to win the TDF (and a strong team) to a team where he'd have to wait till Lance is done before he can be the leader? Doesn't make sense.

According to Velonews, the riders expected to go to RadioShack:

Lance Armstrong
    Levi Leipheimer,
    Yaroslav Popovych,
    Andreas Kloden,
    Chris Horner,
    Haimar Zubeldia
    Janez Brajkovic
    Tomas Vaitkus.

Now THAT'S a grand tour team!

It also shows just what Contador was up against in this year's Tour!!!!
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/