Team Sky

13»

Comments

• what's the big problem with SKY and Rupert Murdoch anyway? IMO the yprovide a good service and are reasonably priced.
    Dan
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    RichN95 wrote:
    kickerbri wrote:
    Read an article on Wiggins performance at the tour, I think from CW and in the article it states;

"Next year, Team Sky will be on the start line, and we wouldn't be surprised to see at least one rider from this year's top ten in their kit (just not the one that many expect)"

This I would assume would link in with the "Big" name being talked about on Eurosport sunday.

With Brailsford already stating "no" for Contador. Armstrong and Kloeden going to Radioshack. Schlecks likely to stay put at Saxo Bank. That leaves Le Mevel, Wiggins, Vandevelde, Nibali and Kreuziger. Wiggins being the obvious one would leave the other 4.

I cant see Vandevelde leaving Garmin for anyone other than Radioshack and Le Mevel is not really a big name. Which would leave Nibali and Kreuziger, to me one of this riders to sky would make sense as Liquigas cannot possibly support Basso, Kreuziger, Nibali and Pellizotti whilst still helping Bennatti in the sprints so something would have to give.

Before the tour I would have said Kreuziger was the most gifted of the two, but Nibali rode a great tour and I has been linked with sky previously. Anyway I think Nibali would be a great signing and with a team built around him could place highly in any of the 3 grand tours.

It's definitely Nibali. I haven't got a link to back this up, but I read that's he been openly talking about wanting to leave Liquigas and join Sky and that Sky want him. The sticking point is he still has a year left on his contract.

+1
    Yes tis what i have heard too.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    what's the big problem with SKY and Rupert Murdoch anyway? IMO the yprovide a good service and are reasonably priced.

have a read of this for a start http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rupert_Murdoch you only have to look at how they have been instrumental in destroying competitive football in this counrty to worry about the effect they may have on cycling

beware of greeks (or aussies) bearing gifts
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    That is true.. Football is dying on its greed filled arse.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    what's the big problem with SKY and Rupert Murdoch anyway? IMO the yprovide a good service and are reasonably priced.

have a read of this for a start http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rupert_Murdoch you only have to look at how they have been instrumental in destroying competitive football in this counrty to worry about the effect they may have on cycling

The Champions League destroyed competitive league football, in my opinion, not Sky.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • fast as fupp
    RichN95 wrote:

The Champions League destroyed competitive league football, in my opinion, not Sky.

good point but the sky deal and the premier league started the concentration of money to the 'top' clubs- the 'champions' league then concentrated the money to the big three and liverpoo

football is now rubbish as a competitive spectacle
  • wicked
    RichN95 wrote:

Sky did not ruin football. Football ate itself, sky just provided the money. Football is followed by (mostly) fanatics who see being ripped off for tickets, jerseys etc as some kind of badge of honour to prove their loyalty to "their" club. Cycling is not in any danger from sky, why sponsor a team that only your own subscribers can watch?
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • fast as fupp
    wicked wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Sky did not ruin football. Football ate itself, sky just provided the money. Football is followed by (mostly) fanatics who see being ripped off for tickets, jerseys etc as some kind of badge of honour to prove their loyalty to "their" club. Cycling is not in any danger from sky, why sponsor a team that only your own subscribers can watch?

there are quite a few fanatics on here-check out the ac v la threads- as for being ripped off the same applies to assos/rapha gear etc.- if you think that the murdoch empire is sponsoring cycling for purely altruistic reasons then you are either naive or soft- :shock:
  • wicked
    Am neither naive or soft thank you FAF. Sky cannot do a thing to harm me, if I do not like it I can vote with my feet, hence my not watching wendyball anymore. If cycling was to go exclusively on sky sports (which it cannot) i could always say fine keep it then I will go ride my bike instead. I would be fitter and richer! Pity more wendyball fans do not do the same and they might get their game back.
  • Superoo
    Superoo Posts: 19
    Most important fact is that cycling fans can look forward to seeing this Team Sky at work next season; with almost 50% British riders and the rest of the team several other nationalities it's going to have a great line-up!

During the live coverage of the last stage of the Tour de France, their Sports Manager Scott Sunderland was a guest on Eurosport:

"15:10 - 73km - Sunderland on the Sky team that is currently taking shape: "If you believe the press, then we have 150 riders in the team! No, seriously, September 1st is the first date we can announce any riders, but it's really promising. The British riders we have are fantastic, and we will have close to 50% British riders in the team. We've looked at the British lads we have, and we then look for the international riders to complement them."
  • GroupOfOne MkII
    GroupOfOne MkII Posts: 1,289
    Nations are such a 19th Century concept*, I'm no more likely to support Team Sky than I am to support Wiggins in the tour, regardless of how many British riders they have.

Sure it'll be interesting, but I'll still continue to support individuals who I like, or individual displays that on the day seem worthy of support..

And I'm not even getting into the debate about how cycling seems to be rapidly following other sports, in that we'll have a big four/five/six/whatever, and then all the other teams fighting for crumbs from the big boys table. In fact Sky will probably make me more likely to go and cheer on Ag2r or whoever (hopefully) replaces Bouyges and Agritubel.

*Apologies Iain, I think I may have nicked that quote from you, but hey flattery is the sincerest form of whatever it is and all that!
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    good point but the sky deal and the premier league started the concentration of money to the 'top' clubs- the 'champions' league then concentrated the money to the big three and liverpoo

I am in total agreement with you about Sky - I disconnected the previous dish when we bought our house, for example.

Maybe it is just Everton fans that hateSky?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    whoever (hopefully) replaces Bouyges

They're not going anywhere - they renewed sponsorship earlier in the month.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593

I am in total agreement with you about Sky - I disconnected the previous dish when we bought our house, for example.

Maybe it is just Everton fans that hateSky?

It's not Sky that "ruined" football - the huge increase in money was going to be there from ITV for the Premier League if Sky hadn't coughed up. If you're really looking to point the finger, it should be at the five clubs who instigated the league:

Everton, Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester United and Spurs - the "big five" as they were called then.
  • fast as fupp
    wicked wrote:
    Am neither naive or soft thank you FAF. Sky cannot do a thing to harm me, if I do not like it I can vote with my feet, hence my not watching wendyball anymore. If cycling was to go exclusively on sky sports (which it cannot) i could always say fine keep it then I will go ride my bike instead. I would be fitter and richer! Pity more wendyball fans do not do the same and they might get their game back.

sky cant hurt you for sure but the murdoch empire sure can- its influence in the 79 election was an integral part of thatcher getting elected

wendyball ? FFS!!
  • samb01
    samb01 Posts: 130
    Keep in mind folks, cycling team sponsors (with a few exceptions, Cervelo being one) neither own nor run the teams, they merely supply the money.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    iainf72 wrote:
    I am pretty excited about this team although I dislike Britain's training by numbers approach. If this is adopted I wont be smitten by them. iain likening them to Katusha may prove true.
    They won't be as creepy as Katusha though :wink:
    I rather liked Napolitano's unshaven, creepy, mafioso look. 8)

How come LA always looks so clean-shaven,even after a race? Doesn't his beard grow any more since his cancer problems? It looks odd.
  • jamlala
    jamlala Posts: 284
    That is true.. Football is dying on its greed filled ars*.

In my book this can only be a good thing!
    Cannondale Supersix 105 2013- summer bike - love it!
    Cannondale CAAD12 - racing fun!
    Trek Crockett 5 - CX bike, muddy fun!
    Scott Scale 940 MTB XC racer.
    __@    
    _`\<,_   
    ---- (*)/ (*)
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    ... will be riding Pinarellos, nice colour scheme too

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... ntent.html
  • Superoo
    Superoo Posts: 19
    Nice bikes those Pinarello's and I do like the colours on the team sky bike. However, I own a Cervélo bike and it's bloody awesome to ride. A pity they won't be using those :wink:
    Cervélo worked with team sky's manager Scott Sunderland on improving their bikes during his/their years with team CSC and they did a great job. On the cervelo site numerous reports were posted mentionning Sunderland, especially concerning the development of the R3 he had a lot of input.
    Sunderland is known to be a perfectionist when it comes to material so I am very much looking to find out which bikes, wheels and components team sky will be using!
  • fast as fupp
    now the punt wants to charge for his internets http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/au ... te-charges