Team Sky

davelakers
davelakers Posts: 762
edited August 2009 in Pro race
Anybody else excited about the new Team Sky?

Maybe excited is too strong a word, but it does sound promising.....

Comments

• stefrees
    stefrees Posts: 137
    scott sunderland on eurosport just said 50% of riders are british!
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I am excited about it!

I think it's great that finally the UK will not only have a pro team but that it is so closely aligened to British Cycling.

Plus the target of getting 1million Brits into cycling has got to be a good thing.

So who will be getting a replica Team Sky kit next year ;-)
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    stefrees wrote:

i wonder who the big name foreign rider is going to be ? I will take a stab at Cadel Evans or Damiano Cunego.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • samb01
    samb01 Posts: 130
    stefrees wrote:
    50% of the final line up or 50% (8 or 9) of the 17 riders they've 'pre-contracted' so far?
  • stefrees
    Moray Gub wrote:
    stefrees wrote:

i wonder who the big name foreign rider is going to be ? I will take a stab at Cadel Evans or Damiano Cunego.

dont think it will be evans, he seems to be a bit "me me me" and cant see that fitting in with bc. judging by how kreuizeger and nibali werent helping each other maybe one of these, or cunego. i'd like it to see boasson hagen and tony martin, also lockvist. thats being greedy
  • stefrees
    samb01 wrote:
    stefrees wrote:
    50% of the final line up or 50% (8 or 9) of the 17 riders they've 'pre-contracted' so far?

he didnt elaborate. did say that some are from the smaller teams and academies
  • samb01
    stefrees wrote:
    i'd like it to see boasson hagen and tony martin, also lockvist. thats being greedy
    Tony Martin recently extended his contract with Columbia.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    stefrees wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    stefrees wrote:

dont think it will be evans, he seems to be a bit "me me me" and cant see that fitting in with bc. judging by how kreuizeger and nibali werent helping each other maybe one of these, or cunego. i'd like it to see boasson hagen and tony martin, also lockvist. thats being greedy
    A tad unfair on Cadel. Any GC contender will want 100% support from their team...he lost the race mentally after conceding so much time in the TTT. I'm not sure he can now recover to make an impact on another TdF.
  • samb01
    Apparently the previously reported 17 riders has now swelled to 20. So says Scott Sunderland on Sporza: http://www.wielerupdate.nl/nieuws/2009/07/26/team-sky-heeft-al-twintig-renners_12220/
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    stefrees wrote:

I thought he said 50% of the riders are rubbish!
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Boasson-Hagen, I reckon, iss a cert. And Sastre isn't happy at Cervelo- the lure of Scott as DS may be too great for him to resist, even if he has to be bought of his contract.

So, Dave Brailsford and co were at the Tour, which is when there is much wheeling and dealing for next year's season. What I've always wondered about, is the mechanics of this process? I understand that not all the riders have agents, but they all have phones, don't they?
    Why are next year's contracts decided at the Tour?
    Do they meet up behind the bike shed or some thing?
  • GroupOfOne MkII
    GroupOfOne MkII Posts: 1,289
    Nibali ;)

Well Serge Pauwels is already confirmed, so that's one. Wouldn't be surprised by Sastre, as he's pretty unhappy at Cervelo, particularly over Sunderland not being the DS. There's definitely a sizeable number of riders leaving Columbia, so I really wouldn't be surprised to see EBH as one of those to Sky.

As for the Brits - Cummings, Thomas, Bellis, Kennaugh, Swift. Don't believe all your hear about new pros signing two year contracts, nothing in cycling is that watertight.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    Presumably they need/have Wiggins booked in if they need a TdF winner in the next 5 years.
    Half man, Half bike
  • GroupOfOne MkII
    GroupOfOne MkII Posts: 1,289
    Nah, they'll have Peter Kennaugh ;)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Are people fans of "teams"? I'm not but them I'm generally an anomoly. I tend to like certain riders regardless of who they ride for and some of the riders I like are on teams full of people i dislike?

I keep thinking Team Sky will be like Katusha. Big budget under achievers.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    iainf72 wrote:
    Are people fans of "teams"? I'm not but them I'm generally an anomoly. I tend to like certain riders regardless of who they ride for and some of the riders I like are on teams full of people i dislike?

much like you thought Mark Cavendish wouldnt amount to much :lol:
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Moray Gub wrote:
    much like you thought Mark Cavendish wouldnt amount to much :lol:

Indeed.

I don't mind admitting when I'm wrong though.

At least you and I can agree we aren't big Cav fans! :wink:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Is Sastre unhappy at Cervelo? Where did that come from? Serge is a fantastic signing. Not sure they'll be able to prise EBH from Columbia, why would they let him go?
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Moomaloid wrote:
    Is Sastre unhappy at Cervelo? Where did that come from? Serge is a fantastic signing. Not sure they'll be able to prise EBH from Columbia, why would they let him go?

Money talks, mmmm money talks, dirty cash I want you, dirty cash I need you oh oh
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • davelakers wrote:
    Anybody else excited about the new Team Sky?

Maybe excited is too strong a word, but it does sound promising.....

Will we have to pay a montly subscription to see them?
  • samb01
    iainf72 wrote:
    Perhaps they should slash their budget and emulate Cervelo instead?
  • kickerbri
    kickerbri Posts: 53
    Getting a interested in seeing the final squad list on 1st September, the rumours floating around currently would appear to give Team Sky a pretty decent footing to the team. The names that seem to be floating around currently are;

Edvald Boassen Hagen
    Thomas Lovkvist
    Serge Pauwels
    Chris Froome
    Steve Cummings
    Geraint Thomas
    Marcus Burghardt
    Tony Martin
    Juan Antonio Flecha
    Heinrich Haussler
    Dominique Cornu

If they could add to that base a genuine GC rider along with the further 6 or 7 British Riders and a couple more experienced pros that could quite easily have one of the strongest line ups in the Peloton.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    When can I buy the replica kit?
    :wink:

Do we know what bike's they'll be on?
    I'm assuming Boardman.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    kickerbri wrote:
    Getting a interested in seeing the final squad list on 1st September, the rumours floating around currently would appear to give Team Sky a pretty decent footing to the team. The names that seem to be floating around currently are;

Edvald Boassen Hagen
    Thomas Lovkvist
    Serge Pauwels
    Chris Froome
    Steve Cummings
    Geraint Thomas
    Marcus Burghardt
    Tony Martin
    Juan Antonio Flecha
    Heinrich Haussler

Dominique Cornu

If they could add to that base a genuine GC rider along with the further 6 or 7 British Riders and a couple more experienced pros that could quite easily have one of the strongest line ups in the Peloton.

I thought it was supposed to be a clean team
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • kickerbri
    kickerbri Posts: 53
    Timoid. wrote:
    kickerbri wrote:

Edvald Boassen Hagen
    Thomas Lovkvist
    Serge Pauwels
    Chris Froome
    Steve Cummings
    Geraint Thomas
    Marcus Burghardt
    Tony Martin
    Juan Antonio Flecha
    Heinrich Haussler

Dominique Cornu

??

Have either of them been implicated in drugs scandals?
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I'm excited. I haven't been this excited since ANC-Halfords. :lol:
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    Ridgerider wrote:
    Presumably they need/have Wiggins booked in if they need a TdF winner in the next 5 years.

As someone else mentioned kennaugh and ben swift is also another I think they have emarked especially after his good giro.

Wiggins may always stay with the people who have helped him become the best he can be in garmin but the young brit cyclists who have come through the same programmes as wiggins and cav and have great talent too will really benefit from being in teams with established top pros.

BC have always had these young guys in mind when they made their five year prediction I reckon and I am looking forward to seeing both Brailsford and his team surprise people over the next few years.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    kickerbri wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    kickerbri wrote:

Edvald Boassen Hagen
    Thomas Lovkvist
    Serge Pauwels
    Chris Froome
    Steve Cummings
    Geraint Thomas
    Marcus Burghardt
    Tony Martin
    Juan Antonio Flecha
    Heinrich Haussler

Dominique Cornu

??

Have either of them been implicated in drugs scandals?

Flecha has ridden for some interesting treams and Haussler gets his training plans from a certain Dr F.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Wiggins may always stay with the people who have helped him become the best he can be in garmin

Who helped him be the best he could be?
    BBC Sport wrote:
    "But, last winter, he got some consistent training under his belt. He wintered better than he has ever done and I attribute a lot of his success this season to that.

"Bradley worked and trained with our lads at the British Cycling Academy in Manchester doing long four or five-hour rides.
    "Bradley has always been a beanpole but the advice he has had from British Cycling's nutritionist Nigel Mitchell has been a big factor in his success," added Sutton, who followers of Wiggins' Twitter feed will know stayed in constant contact with him throughout the race.
    And adding psychologist Steve Peters to Wiggins' support ranks gave him added mental resolve too.
    "Although you need that, it's been key for Bradley to have a guy of the calibre of Steve on the phone when he needs him, when he's been rocking a bit."
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 168184.stm

I think British Cycling should be popping an invoice in the post to Garmin for Shane Sutton, Steve Peters and Nigel Mitchell's time. Certainly sounds like British Cycling have had a pretty big involvement in the transformation of Wiggo to Twiggo.

Will these key figures be so keen and available to assist Wiggins once Team Sky is up and running if Wiggins is still riding for Garmin?
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Wiggins may always stay with the people who have helped him become the best he can be in garmin

Who helped him be the best he could be?
    BBC Sport wrote:
    "But, last winter, he got some consistent training under his belt. He wintered better than he has ever done and I attribute a lot of his success this season to that.

"Bradley worked and trained with our lads at the British Cycling Academy in Manchester doing long four or five-hour rides.
    "Bradley has always been a beanpole but the advice he has had from British Cycling's nutritionist Nigel Mitchell has been a big factor in his success," added Sutton, who followers of Wiggins' Twitter feed will know stayed in constant contact with him throughout the race.
    And adding psychologist Steve Peters to Wiggins' support ranks gave him added mental resolve too.
    "Although you need that, it's been key for Bradley to have a guy of the calibre of Steve on the phone when he needs him, when he's been rocking a bit."
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 168184.stm

I think British Cycling should be popping an invoice in the post to Garmin for Shane Sutton, Steve Peters and Nigel Mitchell's time. Certainly sounds like British Cycling have had a pretty big involvement in the transformation of Wiggo to Twiggo.

Will these key figures be so keen and available to assist Wiggins once Team Sky is up and running if Wiggins is still riding for Garmin?

I am well aware how much BC and especially people like sutton etc have done for him however only going off what vaughters and wiggo himself have been saying which is that he wants to stay with garmin. If you were him what would you guys do? Thats not a challenging question just asking opinion.

I think I would personally probably want to stay with the likes of VdV for one more year (given he shattered his shoulder a few months back done well to get back to the TdF) and see how a season where you are not the surprise package goes. I don't think wiggo wants to move to a team where he becomes THE rider for all their GC hopes.