Team Sky

Comments

• Superoo
    Superoo Posts: 19
    @Timoid
    you wrote: "Flecha has ridden for some interesting treams and Haussler gets his training plans from a certain Dr F."

I wonder how you dare to put this online about Haussler? Can you back your accusation up with some more details on the source of your knowledge please? If not, don't spread such bull; you are not a cycling fan, you are one of those frustrated people trying to bring others who are doing well down. Shame on you.

Everyone in cycling is excited about the new Sky team. It is great for the sport that more companies are willing to put money into the sport we all love. Why can't we all be supportive of their efforts???
  • samb01
    samb01 Posts: 130
    Timoid. wrote:
    Haussler gets his training plans from a certain Dr F.
    Source?
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I am well aware how much BC and especially people like sutton etc have done for him however only going off what vaughters and wiggo himself have been saying which is that he wants to stay with garmin. If you were him what would you guys do? Thats not a challenging question just asking opinion.

I think I would personally probably want to stay with the likes of VdV for one more year (given he shattered his shoulder a few months back done well to get back to the TdF) and see how a season where you are not the surprise package goes. I don't think wiggo wants to move to a team where he becomes THE rider for all their GC hopes.

It's not an easy decision is it? Garmin seems like a nice place to ride. The riders don't seem to have huge amounts of pressure placed on them, and they (Millar, DZ, VdV and Wiggins especially) comes across as a bunch of mates who enjoy riding together. You got the impression that Millar, DZ and VdV were happy to work for Wiggins because they like him and they know he'd do the same for them under different circumstances.

On the other hand BC have taken Wiggins' natural ability and honed him into an all conquering track cyclist. Now they've helped him translate that into success on the road. He must owe them an awful lot and get on with them as well. Maybe Garmin's a bit more relaxed and bit less results focussed than BC are and Team Sky are likely to be.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Superoo wrote:
    Everyone in cycling is excited about the new Sky team. It is great for the sport that more companies are willing to put money into the sport we all love. Why can't we all be supportive of their efforts???

I think people are excited but you have to remember fans of pro cycling have been let down so many times that we've become quite cynical. There have been so many years of deception

I gather you're involved with the team in some shape or form? I guess SuperRoo makes you Australian of some variety - What would British sports teams be without the Australians to coach 'em, eh?

:wink:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    Defo be an itneresting one to see out. When I first saw the announcement of team sky I put bets on the fact ex academy or BC team riders would be in it with Cav and/or Wiggo being the main Brit scalps to be gained. I think Wiggo will go one day but not quite sure it will be next year. Like you say those four in particular seem to work well together and I think Vaughters will bring out the money to keep team built around both VdV and Wiggo as GC contenders.

Interesting thing was vaughters joined the Eurosport team on the 3rd lap to go in Paris and was saying how wiggo was ready to sign a new deal after the Giro and he said to him wait until after the tour where you know you will do well as its the best time to get the fair deal that will see you through the next few years. He also said when Wiggo wanted to move last season he didn't even negogiate the price. I think Brad will probably be a bit torn between a team manager who just does things the right way and a BC management who have always helped him both on and off the track.

I have the upmost respect for the BC coaching team so I am confident team sky is going to be a good one and would be great to see the best of the brits in it.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    I think British Cycling should be popping an invoice in the post to Garmin for Shane Sutton, Steve Peters and Nigel Mitchell's time. Certainly sounds like British Cycling have had a pretty big involvement in the transformation of Wiggo to Twiggo.

Will these key figures be so keen and available to assist Wiggins once Team Sky is up and running if Wiggins is still riding for Garmin?

Exactly, unless BC put a lock on these peoples' services why should Wiggins even consider an alternative to Garmin?
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Exactly, unless BC put a lock on these peoples' services why should Wiggins even consider an alternative to Garmin?

According to his Wikipedia article, when Millar was training to make his post-ban come back he went to Manchester and trained with BC and the track team. Sounds like they have been supportive of all top British cyclists, even if they're not riding for the track team. Which is actually quite a positive thing, and a valuable resource for British pros.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    Stuey01 wrote:
    When can I buy the replica kit?
    :wink:

Do we know what bike's they'll be on?
    I'm assuming Boardman.
    I want to get one too!
  • jimmythecuckoo
    Radioshack had their website up same day... come on SKY get it sorted!
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    tainted by the filthy lying hands of the rupert murdoch empire im sorry to say i rather hope team sky/sun/notw is an abject failure :evil:
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Le Commentateur

Sky Plus subscribers only perhaps. :lol:
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    iainf72 wrote:
    Are people fans of "teams"?
    Good question - I usually 'support' Riis' team because I like Bjarne. Not sure I'd fight an Astana supporter at the roadside though. On the other hand, an Astana supporter would deserve a good kicking...
  • fast as fupp
    AndyRubio wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Are people fans of "teams"?
    Good question - I usually 'support' Riis' team because I like Bjarne. Not sure I'd fight an Astana supporter at the roadside though. On the other hand, an Astana supporter would deserve a good kicking...

'come and have a go if you think yer hard enough!'

ASTANA! ASTANA! ASTANA!

astana 'casuals' rule :D
  • jimmythecuckoo

Sky Plus subscribers only perhaps. :lol:
    God help those of us on Virgin Media then :lol:
  • Le Commentateur
    That does raise the worrying question of what would happen if Sky acquired digital broadcast/web rights for delivering cycling to a UK audince. Well actually I can guess the answer: £30 a month additional subscription.
  • fast as fupp
    That does raise the worrying question of what would happen if Sky acquired digital broadcast/web rights for delivering cycling to a UK audince. Well actually I can guess the answer: £30 a month additional subscription.

and theyd only show the 'big four' riders on their coverage :D
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593

I'd suggest most cycling fans would already have Sky Sports. However as has been explained at some length, Sky are unable to bid for the majpority of the major cycling events due to broadcasting restrictions ensuring their appear on free-to-air channels.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440

I'd suggest most cycling fans would already have Sky Sports. However as has been explained at some length, Sky are unable to bid for the majpority of the major cycling events due to broadcasting restrictions ensuring their appear on free-to-air channels.

Why? There's hardly ever any cycling on sky sports, I can only think of the TDU?

I've got sky sports though, just in case :wink:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    Doubtful. They're doing this to enhance their brand, so they'll want maximum coverage. Better from their point of view to see the Sky logo plastered all over the BBC than hidden away on Sky Sports.
  • skut
    skut Posts: 371
    I'm a bit confused about why people are debating whether Wiggins is going to Sky or not. I thought this twitter post made it clear

http://twitter.com/bradwiggins/status/2556361281
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    skut wrote:
    I'm a bit confused about why people are debating whether Wiggins is going to Sky or not. I thought this twitter post made it clear

http://twitter.com/bradwiggins/status/2556361281

It did then a few days after in an interview with velonews all he would say is he had a contract with garmin for another 18 months and after that who knows.

I am with you, think he will stay at garmin for another contract but I guess anything can happen for him now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFB_pw8cs2k
  • Ratkilla
    Ratkilla Posts: 230
    Wondering if I'm missing something? There seems to be an assumption that Team Sky will have a Pro Tour Licence. Is this the case. Or are they initially going to be 2nd division with 'wild card status'?
    Also why this recent 'americanised' development of preceding the team name with the word 'Team' ? By the end of the Tour I was sick to feckin' death of Sherwen going on about Team Astaaahna. But that's for another thread.

Very uncomfortable with the taint (as mentioned above) of Murdoch and his evil empire.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Ratkilla wrote:
    Wondering if I'm missing something? There seems to be an assumption that Team Sky will have a Pro Tour Licence. Is this the case. Or are they initially going to be 2nd division with 'wild card status'?
    Also why this recent 'americanised' development of preceding the team name with the word 'Team' ? By the end of the Tour I was sick to feckin' death of Sherwen going on about Team Astaaahna. But that's for another thread.

Very uncomfortable with the taint (as mentioned above) of Murdoch and his evil empire.

Team Sky applied for their pro team licence last week :D

Don't think the UCI would have ever seen an application like that one before.
  • kickerbri
    kickerbri Posts: 53
    Read an article on Wiggins performance at the tour, I think from CW and in the article it states;

"Next year, Team Sky will be on the start line, and we wouldn't be surprised to see at least one rider from this year's top ten in their kit (just not the one that many expect)"

This I would assume would link in with the "Big" name being talked about on Eurosport sunday.

With Brailsford already stating "no" for Contador. Armstrong and Kloeden going to Radioshack. Schlecks likely to stay put at Saxo Bank. That leaves Le Mevel, Wiggins, Vandevelde, Nibali and Kreuziger. Wiggins being the obvious one would leave the other 4.

I cant see Vandevelde leaving Garmin for anyone other than Radioshack and Le Mevel is not really a big name. Which would leave Nibali and Kreuziger, to me one of this riders to sky would make sense as Liquigas cannot possibly support Basso, Kreuziger, Nibali and Pellizotti whilst still helping Bennatti in the sprints so something would have to give.

Before the tour I would have said Kreuziger was the most gifted of the two, but Nibali rode a great tour and I has been linked with sky previously. Anyway I think Nibali would be a great signing and with a team built around him could place highly in any of the 3 grand tours.
  • iainf72
    Wiggins is not going to Sky. He has confirmed this already.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    kickerbri wrote:
    Read an article on Wiggins performance at the tour, I think from CW and in the article it states;

"Next year, Team Sky will be on the start line, and we wouldn't be surprised to see at least one rider from this year's top ten in their kit (just not the one that many expect)"

This I would assume would link in with the "Big" name being talked about on Eurosport sunday.

With Brailsford already stating "no" for Contador. Armstrong and Kloeden going to Radioshack. Schlecks likely to stay put at Saxo Bank. That leaves Le Mevel, Wiggins, Vandevelde, Nibali and Kreuziger. Wiggins being the obvious one would leave the other 4.

I cant see Vandevelde leaving Garmin for anyone other than Radioshack and Le Mevel is not really a big name. Which would leave Nibali and Kreuziger, to me one of this riders to sky would make sense as Liquigas cannot possibly support Basso, Kreuziger, Nibali and Pellizotti whilst still helping Bennatti in the sprints so something would have to give.

Before the tour I would have said Kreuziger was the most gifted of the two, but Nibali rode a great tour and I has been linked with sky previously. Anyway I think Nibali would be a great signing and with a team built around him could place highly in any of the 3 grand tours.

It's definitely Nibali. I haven't got a link to back this up, but I read that's he been openly talking about wanting to leave Liquigas and join Sky and that Sky want him. The sticking point is he still has a year left on his contract.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I am pretty excited about this team although I dislike Britain's training by numbers approach. If this is adopted I wont be smitten by them. iain likening them to Katusha may prove true.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    I am pretty excited about this team although I dislike Britain's training by numbers approach. If this is adopted I wont be smitten by them. iain likening them to Katusha may prove true.

They won't be as creepy as Katusha though :wink:
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,174
    iainf72 wrote:

They won't be as creepy as Katusha though :wink:

Isn't that 'Team' Katushya....??
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."