Garmin Bashing

13»

Comments

• disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Who was it who said "no gifts"?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Says a lot about this year's tour that 2 weeks in and there're still domestiques in a position to be gifted the yellow jersey.
  • Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    Very true. George should reflect that grabbing yellow when AG2R have had it for a week is nothing to shout about .
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Its funny, I thought this was a race and that they were trying to get maximum coverage for their sponsors. Trying to gift things in professional sport is wrong. People have to earn them. George lost plenty of time before Saturday's stage. Maybe if he'd ridden harder on the Tour's first mountain finish he'd be in yellow now.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    squired wrote:
    Its funny, I thought this was a race and that they were trying to get maximum coverage for their sponsors.

Well with today's spat, they've certainly achieved that!
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • timoid.
    Could this whole thing not be as simple as a deal done between teams for cash or to bank some favours for later in the race? That's a huge part of the dynamics of the peloton.

I feel bad for George, but nobody has a right to the jersey.

One last thought. How do Vaughters and Hincapie get on? Was there some simmering feud from back in there USPS days?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • timoid.
    Maybe Aldag's lip had something to do with it. From CFA:

And Aldag is still mouthing off, recently making a hardly-veiled comment aimed at Garmin, "I don’t think you can make friends with the riders and agree to everything. I do believe the best way to have fun on the team is to have success. Not talking yourself into it...saying "oh what a great team of losers!" Nice, Rolf, sure are making lots of friends with that sort of trash talk.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Moray Gub wrote:

ffs thats so pathetic it really is , stop being such a bloody drama queen why should a riders nationality be any reason for wanting him to do well ?

Because British success on the biggest stage means more coverage of the sport, more public interest and hopefully increased participation and awareness of cyclists' rights?

Just a thought.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I'm coming round to iain's view that Columbia get an easy ride from the media. For sure Garmin's actions were maybe not too clever, but the Columbia DSs should have been ruthless if they were serious about the green jersey, and set up a proper fast train for Cav to take the points and to hell with GH being in yellow for a day.

As it is, they ended up with neither of their goals accomplished. They should be thankful for Garmin taking the heat off them - Columbia stuffed it up completely but you'd never know it from what's been written and said in the cycling press.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • procarbon
    procarbon Posts: 62
    garmin chased as didnt want to risk wiggins losing time as he did the other day (before 15 sec decision was reversed)

That's stupid, you've completely missed the point.

No team in the peloton could have closed the gap as it was too large. Garmin had a chance to let Hincapie have yellow for a day but they didn't because they are spitefull and childish.

Their manager saying they were keeping their "guys out of trouble" is crap, no GC contender was in the breakaway!!!

They can't stand it that columbia, the other strong american team in the peloton has had over 60 wins compared to their rubbish 10.....
  • mandie
    mandie Posts: 218
    DaveyL wrote:
    I'm coming round to iain's view that Columbia get an easy ride from the media. For sure Garmin's actions were maybe not too clever, but the Columbia DSs should have been ruthless if they were serious about the green jersey, and set up a proper fast train for Cav to take the points and to hell with GH being in yellow for a day.

As it is, they ended up with neither of their goals accomplished. They should be thankful for Garmin taking the heat off them - Columbia stuffed it up completely but you'd never know it from what's been written and said in the cycling press.

+1
    We\'ll kick against the darkness \'till it bleeds daylight
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    edited July 2009
    procarbon wrote:
    They can't stand it that columbia, the other strong american team in the peloton has had over 60 wins compared to their rubbish 10.....

Strikes me it's probably relatively easy to win lots of races when you have the biggest budget in cycling.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    And slightly trickier when you have the 4th smallest in the protour.

I tend to agree that Columbia took a chance because they wanted both yellow and green. They should have picked one objective and focused. As it is they tried for both and mis-fired.
  • Moray Gub wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Eurostar wrote:
    Wiggins was interviewed by Ned Boulting just after the finish. Who saw it? I thought I heard him say that his manager told everyone to chase because he didn't want Columbia to have yellow.

Columbia will have very hard feeling about this.

Maybe a little hate between them will be fun to watch but I still feel terrible for George.

What was it Cav said about riding like juniors :D ? Columbia f*ck up yellow and Cav probably sees his green go up in smoke great stuff :D

Why are you so pleased that a british rider has had his chance of a jersey taken from him? Whilst I have read your defence of LA with interest, this is the comment of a total loser.

ffs thats so pathetic it really is , stop being such a bloody drama queen why should a riders nationality be any reason for wanting him to do well ?

A drama queen? :D It is not me who is revelling in the misfortune of others. You really are a bitter little one aren't you. Not getting enough vitamin D? :D
    Noone has to "support" anybody in particular, but laughing at Cav's DQ? I can't figure out why anyone would.
    Dan
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Wiggins in third place is all the justification Garmin need, I would think :?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Loved Wiggins' post stage interview when he said "There was lots of shouting in pigeon German going on" in the peloton by the "American" Columbia team when garmin were driving at the front.
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens