Garmin Bashing

Comments

• takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    Besides, his bad attitude towards Evans the other day showed him in a poor light.

Did I miss this? What bad attitude was that?
  • Bakunin wrote:
    I think Kleber is correct here. Columbia should look in the mirror.

And Hincapie deserves nothing...in fact, he has always gotten a free ride in the media. The fact that Stapleton hired him speaks volumes about Columbia's "clean" team.

and i think you are talking out your arse.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    Columbia's desire for sprint points rather negates their moaning about other teams' behavior
    Half man, Half bike
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    I'd previously seen the Columbia/Garmin rivalry as purely friendly, a bit of banter between mates. Every time Cav opened his mouth about Garmin, all he did was give them more publicity.

Now, I don't know what to think.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Bakunin wrote:

And Hincapie deserves nothing...in fact, he has always gotten a free ride in the media. The fact that Stapleton hired him speaks volumes about Columbia's "clean" team.

and i think you are talking out your ars*.

Of course you do -- but your eyes are wide shut.
  • AO1504
    AO1504 Posts: 57
    Columbia were very critical of Garmin focussing on the ITT at the Giro and stopped them getting it. No doubt they took exception to other teams trying to help get a Columbia rider into yellow and decided on a wee bit of payback.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Besides, his bad attitude towards Evans the other day showed him in a poor light.

Stage 8. Evans launched a breakaway that Hincapie joined and then told Evans to drop back to the peloton. Didnt see the coverage myself but have heard others saying that. He wasnt the only one having a word with Evans though.
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    edited July 2009

Refering to stage 8 (i think)

Hincapie and Cancellera joined a break group knowing that it contained Evans, they then proceeded to act like school children, including waving there arms about and shouting at Evans to leave the group.

Looking back the arm waving might have been Cancellara rather than Hincapie

Bakunin wrote:

and i think you are talking out your ars*.

very well made point there.... :roll:
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    noboy in the break was a treat to anybody on Garmin.

It looks like dirty pool from a team that's supposed to be all about fair play.

Hincapie ends up second overall on GC - he's now 41sec up on Wiggins and 1.19 on Vande Velde so of course he was a threat to Garmin. Get real.

The main reason George is not in yellow is his own fault because misjudged his finishing tactics.

If riders were awarded the yellow jersey for being all-round good guys then probably Thomas Voeckler should be wearing it.
  • jim one
    jim one Posts: 183
    Has no1 else seen that perhaps Garmin was on the front to ensure that Astana are in the yellow jersey after the mountain finish tommorrow. Therefore forced to work next week and defend without any other teams help. This then should mean Klodon dropping behind Vdv and Wiggins as he will be riding on the front. Also Lance/Bertie will have less domestiques to pace them up the final climbs if he has a bad day; which again pushs a Garmin rider in with the chance of a podium come Paris.
  • I was wondering. If there had been some decent racing to watch and discuss over the last couple of weeks, would everybody still be arguing over crap like this? :D
  • hommelbier wrote:

Hincapie ends up second overall on GC - he's now 41sec up on Wiggins and 1.19 on Vande Velde so of course he was a threat to Garmin. Get real.

The main reason George is not in yellow is his own fault because misjudged his finishing tactics.

If riders were awarded the yellow jersey for being all-round good guys then probably Thomas Voeckler should be wearing it.

you must have just fallen off the turnip truck.

George is no threat to Wiggo or Christian in the Alps. Get real.

Word is out. Garmin chased for the sole reason of keeping Columbia from getting a yellow jersey. A very unsporting move that tarnishes them in the whole peloton.
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    Felt bad for George ... but, it's a bike race. If you want to win, stay far enough in front !
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    rockmount wrote:
    Felt bad for George ... but, it's a bike race. If you want to win, stay far enough in front !

Pretty much +1. It would've been great to see Hincapie take yellow and I guess it would've been a nice gesture from the peloton if they'd 'allowed' it to happen, but at the end of the day nobody's owed anything and you can't criticise people for treating a race like a race. Even if Garmin's motivation really was nothing more than keeping Columbia from getting yellow, well, they're rival teams so why wouldn't they?
  • SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    rockmount wrote:
    +1 I like George too but it is a race. Plus Astana were doing a fair bit of chasing too as George mentioned in his post stage interview.
  • Wiggo is only 46" down so why shouldn't Garmin protect this position? If George wanted the yellow so much then he should have put more effort in instead of playing cat and mouse in the final k's.
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    hommelbier wrote:

Word is out. Garmin chased for the sole reason of keeping Columbia from getting a yellow jersey. A very unsporting move that tarnishes them in the whole peloton.

So Garmin should have sat back an let George have yellow so that tomorrow they could ride against Hincapie, Martin, Monfort, Rogers and Kirchen in the high mountains? Astana wouldn't let themselves get turned over like that if it was them. Blaming Garmin for pulling for a few km (which is the reality) is trying to divide and conquer.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Lance is probably just a bit bummed that a really good friend didn't get the jersey.

Clearly the incentive for Garmin chasing the break down in the later stages wasn't particularly obvious, hence the discussion, so Lance figures they're to blame.

It's fair enough. He still behaves like a patron, so interfering in this kind of thing is his bread and butter.

Seems all a bit obvious to me.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Eurostar wrote:
    Wiggins was interviewed by Ned Boulting just after the finish. Who saw it? I thought I heard him say that his manager told everyone to chase because he didn't want Columbia to have yellow.

Columbia will have very hard feeling about this.

Maybe a little hate between them will be fun to watch but I still feel terrible for George.

What was it Cav said about riding like juniors :D ? Columbia f*ck up yellow and Cav probably sees his green go up in smoke great stuff :D
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Hincapie spent seven years in a team since proven to be populated almost entirely by cheats, who deserves yellow why exactly???? I would rather see Nocentini in yellow any day.
    Fcucking whingers are as bad as hushovd.
    Dan
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    "Pro cyclist complains because rival team faster than he wanted them to be."

AG2R rode hard today, so why complain George? Cav did the same in the British championships didn't he? He complained because, in effect, House's strategy was more effective than his.
  • Moray Gub wrote:
    Eurostar wrote:
    Wiggins was interviewed by Ned Boulting just after the finish. Who saw it? I thought I heard him say that his manager told everyone to chase because he didn't want Columbia to have yellow.

Maybe a little hate between them will be fun to watch but I still feel terrible for George.

What was it Cav said about riding like juniors :D ? Columbia f*ck up yellow and Cav probably sees his green go up in smoke great stuff :D

Why are you so pleased that a british rider has had his chance of a jersey taken from him? Whilst I have read your defence of LA with interest, this is the comment of a total loser.
    Dan
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857

Why are you so pleased that a british rider has had his chance of a jersey taken from him?

must we automatically support a rider because he happens to be British?
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Originally I thought Astana worked hard to pull him back but watching it again, Columbia, Lance and a few others were right - Garmin was the team that took the jersey off George's back. Possibly as payback for Cavendish's uncalled for comments at the Giro?
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812

Stage 8. Evans launched a breakaway that Hincapie joined and then told Evans to drop back to the peloton. Didnt see the coverage myself but have heard others saying that. He wasnt the only one having a word with Evans though.

Yeah I remember that now. I had forgotten it, like most of the last week of the Tour. To be fair Hincapie was campaigning for getting rid of Evans.
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    deal wrote:

Why are you so pleased that a british rider has had his chance of a jersey taken from him?

must we automatically support a rider because he happens to be British?
    Might be nice to be a bit patriotic?
    Oh,Almost forgot,we Brits delight in building people up,then can't wait to slag them off!
    so many cols,so little time!
  • leguape wrote:
    hommelbier wrote:

So Garmin should have sat back an let George have yellow so that tomorrow they could ride against Hincapie, Martin, Monfort, Rogers and Kirchen in the high mountains? Astana wouldn't let themselves get turned over like that if it was them. Blaming Garmin for pulling for a few km (which is the reality) is trying to divide and conquer.

lousy reason.
    AG2R has defended yellow longer than most imagined they would. Columbia will not be riding for Hincapie tomorrow yellow or no yellow.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Eurostar wrote:

Why are you so pleased that a british rider has had his chance of a jersey taken from him? Whilst I have read your defence of LA with interest, this is the comment of a total loser.

ffs thats so pathetic it really is , stop being such a bloody drama queen why should a riders nationality be any reason for wanting him to do well ?
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • 2oldnslow
    2oldnslow Posts: 313
    Having studied this and a good many other threads within the pro-race forum why is it I'm getting the distinct impression that far too many of the regular denizens of the forum need to a) to calm down just a tad (it's only a game). b) at least try and see things from others perspectives c) tricky one this, but hey, grow up and finally d) get a life. I can honestly say I've never heard so much twaddle typed by so many to so little effect.

As I work in the middle east I rely on forums to in part keep me up to date with a sport I've followed all my adult life but no more. I just can't take the half baked observations, the overwhelming ignorance shown by many who post here, the blind fan worship and the lack of tolerance. So bye girls enjoy your petty bickering.

For whats it's worth (and I'm a fan of what Bob Stapleton has down with the former T-Mobile) Columbia stuffed up pure and simple. They fell between the two metaphorical stools trying to put George in yellow whilst making sure Cav got across the line in front of Thor. To say however that their train drove on the front (thus contributing to those missing few seconds George needed) is nonsense no way were they going full gas and effectively Cav got himself into trouble trying to pull off the juggling act of winning the sprint for 13th in the slowest fashion possible. Much I admire George and his acheivements, he should have (could have) succeeded by his own efforts and let Cav do what he doe's best, win field sprints. The outcome could have been so different. Oh well thats life and like I said it's only a game.

Let's not forget after all that a life was lost on the stage today now THAT really matters.
  • Trev36
    Trev36 Posts: 92
    So Lance tries to gift a yellow jersey to his best mate, George.
    Astana takes control of the peloton holds them at around 5mins for a while then sets a false tempo so they get further away.
    A few teams later start a chase to draw the break back.
    Now Lance is having a winge at Garmin because they and/or others hauled them back in just enough?

As a few have said "It's a race" Hincape doesn't 'deserve' Yellow for any reason anybody wants to give, he didn't hold the required gap, he had to beat the chasers by enough time which he didn't, simple as that.

Nocentini and AG2R are the only ones who 'deserve' Yellow because they have worked hard to hold it and most importanly Nocentini leads the race.

Why do Garmin 'need' to give any reason for their part in the chase. If they don't want Columbia to get the Yellow then that's the way it is. Maybe they don't like it that Columbia have been cake walking all the sprints, holding the green jersey more often than not and now a winge that they didn't get to hold the Yellow as well. :roll:

There are races within the race that aren't always easily seen.
    So who really is having a winge that they didn't get their own way?