Stage 12 - Tonnerre > Vittel SPOILER

Kléber
Kléber Posts: 6,842
edited July 2009 in Pro race
A longer and hillier day compared to the past two stages, including a third category climb 40km from the finish which might mess with Columbia's plans.

I see a break going, but not the usual desperate bid. Some heavyhitters seemed to have marked this stage, watch for the likes of Chavanel, Millar, Flecha or the so-far invisible Ballan.

Still, the start town Tonnerre, isn't that French for "thunder"? Maybe it's another day for Thor. By the way the road book seems to be wrong:
PROFILKMSVIGNETTE.gif
The profile suggests a climb from 244m to 349m in the last 600m. I think it's 344m to 349m instead.

Comments

• dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    I hope Millar goes on a break. I will be at Juzennecourt watching it.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Where's the spoiler? I'm confused.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Agent57 wrote:
    Where's the spoiler? I'm confused.

There will be one later. That's the point
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • I watched the ITV 4 highlights for once last night rather than my taped Eurosport live - and they managed to give the result away half way through the programme! Thank god for Eurosport, I pray the analogue sat signal keeps going!
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I watched the ITV 4 highlights for once last night rather than my taped Eurosport live - and they managed to give the result away half way through the programme! Thank god for Eurosport, I pray the analogue sat signal keeps going!
    I know the bit you're referring to, but I think that feature was filmed the day before, and they were talking about that day's stage, which was of course also won by Cav.
  • Adieu
    Adieu Posts: 83
    Personally I much prefer the ITV 4 commentators than the Eurosport ones, though the Eurosport HD is irresistible!
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    Adieu wrote:
    Personally I much prefer the ITV 4 commentators than the Eurosport ones, though the Eurosport HD is irresistible!

can you HD users explain how much better it is. I am umming and ahhing about making the change. (to HD).
  • Adieu
    Adieu Posts: 83
    camerone wrote:
    Adieu wrote:

can you HD users explain how much better it is. I am umming and ahhing about making the change. (to HD).

Well, it depends on the size of your telly. I have a 46" TV and the standard definition can get pretty pixelated and blurry, especially when near the screen. The HD makes it super sharp and makes France look pretty beautiful, It was amazing when I first got it but I guess you take it for granted after a while.

On a smaller TV though you probably wouldn't notice all that much difference.
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    Is Didi about ? Not seen him yet.
  • Graeme_S wrote:
    I watched the ITV 4 highlights for once last night rather than my taped Eurosport live - and they managed to give the result away half way through the programme! Thank god for Eurosport, I pray the analogue sat signal keeps going!
    I know the bit you're referring to, but I think that feature was filmed the day before, and they were talking about that day's stage, which was of course also won by Cav.

I got the impression it was yesterday's stage because I took note of the name of the stage town they used on the feature, but I guess we'll never know.

Didi the Devil has been around briefly on the TV coverage - he doesn't get so much airtime these days because of sponsorship clashes I think.
  • graeme_s-2
    Graeme_S wrote:

I got the impression it was yesterday's stage because I took note of the name of the stage town they used on the feature, but I guess we'll never know.

Didi the Devil has been around briefly on the TV coverage - he doesn't get so much airtime these days because of sponsorship clashes I think.
    They were in yesterday's (15th) stage town watching them prepare for the stage the day before (14th). I'm pretty sure the stuff they showed on the screen was from Tuesday.
  • Graeme_S wrote:
    Graeme_S wrote:

They were in yesterday's (15th) stage town watching them prepare for the stage the day before (14th). I'm pretty sure the stuff they showed on the screen was from Tuesday.

It's a bit of a philosophical paradox because I feel like the result was given away even if it wasn't!
  • Kléber
    The stage is underway, no breaks yet but a pretty consistent 50km/h pace. Millar led the race over the first climb, he seems to want to get in a move. You can follow live data from the race:

http://www.srm.de/index.php?option=com_ ... 61&lang=en

Although be patient, the feed cuts in and out at times.

One thing for tomorrow, race radios will be allowed. The UCI has just announced this/backed down.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Cav's going for bonus sprints - he took the first one ahead of Thor
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    RichN95 wrote:
    Cav's going for bonus sprints - he took the first one ahead of Thor

hope they replay it when they go live on eurosport anytime soon.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    Looks like Thor won't be re-Vittel-ised today then!!!

TAXI!!!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    63kms, 3rd climb, all together. No prizes for guessing where this one is heading.....
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Kléber
    All together except Efimkin's been dropped, he crashed hard yesterday. Astana are doing a lot of the chasing which is a bit unusual.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    Right I am locked in to the BBC text feed of todays stage. Let's get it on.
  • RichN95.
    According to the Official Tour ticker - Evans and Andy Schleck tried to attack - it didn't work.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    ...with Leipheimer & Astaloza

http://gaps.letour.fr/us.html
    Rich
  • graeme_s-2
    It's a bit of a philosophical paradox because I feel like the result was given away even if it wasn't!
    I must admit I thought the same thing for a split second. Blame Cav for the stages repeatedly ending with the same result!
  • RichN95.
    We finally have our breakaway:

Calzati, Martinez, Sorensen, Pellizotti, Pauriol, Lefevre, Fothen. Two minutes ahead.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Kléber wrote:
    All together except Efimkin's been dropped, he crashed hard yesterday. Astana are doing a lot of the chasing which is a bit unusual.

Did you see Efimkin's face yesterday? He looked as if he'd been in a bare knuckle fistfight.

Rui Costa abandoned too because of a broken clavicle.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    We finally have our breakaway:

Calzati, Martinez, Sorensen, Pellizotti, Pauriol, Lefevre, Fothen. Two minutes ahead.

if some of those guys sprint for the KOM points they open up the stage win for the others

martinez... pellizotti (thou i think he will go for the stage)?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    That final 3rd cat is a real monster!
    Côte de Bourmont - 0.8 km climb to 11.1% :oops:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Furlan has abandoned too according to the BBC text update service. That leaves Van Hummell with a cool 26 minute advantage over his nearest rival in the race for the lantern rouge.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    It's like the St Nicolas in LBL isn't it, and it will be going quite hard at that point.
  • Coppel of FDJ has also abandoned.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Those Specialized adverts with Cancellara and Schleck Jr are actually quite good, as cycling adverts go. Better than the frickin' Sidi ones anyway.