Pure Climbers

Comments

• Was just wondering why yesterday's stage was only just over an hour. It was reduced from 130km to....44km! Too much snow on the Col de la Madeleine.

Barguil from earlier this year
    warren_barguil_juin_2012.jpg

Thursday was not a solo effort. Was reduced to a small group from which he won.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Barguil came 2nd on the final stage.

Final GC. Russia frist on country rankings. Top 10 separated by less than a minute...

1 Warren Barguil (Fra) France 18:36:07
    2 Juan Ernesto Chamorro Chitan (Col) Colombia 0:00:01
    3 Mattia Cattaneo (Ita) Italy 0:00:09
    4 Sergey Chernetski (Rus) Russian Federation 0:00:15
    5 Ian Boswell (USA) United States Of America 0:00:19
    6 Sergey Pomoshnikov (Rus) Russian Federation 0:00:26
    7 Gennady Tatarinov (Rus) Russian Federation 0:00:31
    8 Daan Olivier (Ned) Netherlands 0:00:42
    9 Patrick Konrad (Aut) Austria 0:00:45
    10 Tim Wellens (Bel) Belgium 0:00:49
    Contador is the Greatest
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    Was just wondering why yesterday's stage was only just over an hour. It was reduced from 130km to....44km! Too much snow on the Col de la Madeleine

It was more a hill-climb than a stage. There was about 30cm on the cols. Took this from a race I did yesterday.

P1060210.JPG
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • davidof wrote:
    Was just wondering why yesterday's stage was only just over an hour. It was reduced from 130km to....44km! Too much snow on the Col de la Madeleine

It was more a hill-climb than a stage. There was about 30cm on the cols. Took this from a race I did yesterday.

P1060210.JPG

Is that Grenoble?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • davidof
    The big white building is Grenoble hospital and the mountains are the Belledonne. Snow down to 1450 meters on the 31st and very cold.
    Instagramme
  • Spent a few happy months racing out of Grenoble in 2001 and 2003. Would love to go back!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • davidof
    edited September 2012
    Paul Kimmage used to live there too, well in Vizille anyway.
    Instagramme
  • davidof wrote:
    Paul Kimmage used to live their too, well in Vizille anyway.

Jacky Durand lived there when I was in town. And some rat faced little amateur climber who used to muller everyone. Can't remember his real name, everyone called him "Blondie"

@gietvangent
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    "Pure climbers are another breed. They still talk about sensations rather than numbers, and about things like the feel of their pedals. They exist partly outside of the training mannual, partly beyond numerical definition and do things very much on intuition. They are a living reminder of an old way of cycling, the spiritual descendants of mountain kings like Bahamontes, Charly Gaul and Van Impe" - CycleSport.
    What a load of romantic hippy bullsh*t.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Gavin Cook wrote:
    My hero when I was growing up was Lucho Herrera. He was almost untouchable in the mountains.

Gav

Lucho was beautiful.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Look who is pulling on the front in San Luis

DSC_0891%20copy.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Deleted
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Deleted
    Is that because Skier's can only go down hill.

I
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366
    deejay wrote:
    Deleted
    Is that because Skier's can only go down hill.

I
    You've never done any cross country ski then.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    I'll have you know that there are no lifts within 200K of where that photo was taken :wink:
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited February 2013
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/elisson ... fter-pinot

I prefer steeper sections and changes of rhythm

Maybe one to look out for. Kenny Elissonde for FDJ.

In 2011, he rode the Giro della Valle d'Aosta. On stage 5 (mountainous), he was 2nd behind none other than Dombrowski and behind him came Aru.
    The next day in the ITT he came 2nd behind Aru and in 3rd was Dombrowski.
    In 2012, other than the win mentioned in the article, he came 4th on Route du Sud stage 3. Behind: Quintana, Dupont and Charteau. I wish I had visuals for that stage - gaps for those four from Quintana were: 1'11', 3'49'', 5'55'' and every rider in the top twenty came in solo.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • This is Dombrowski. Look how young he looks, look how thin he looks, look how narrow his shoulders are, look how long his arms are :shock:

Not sure how he could manage a TT with that. Maybe he could be stuck down as a pure climber.

tour-oman-previews-20130210-013939-476_zps430535eb.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ArdyOCD
    ArdyOCD Posts: 136
    He's got to be about 57kg!
    1-2-3-4 Tell me what you're looking for
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I'll have you know that there are no lifts within 200K of where that photo was taken :wink:
    You used a helicopter didn't you! :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,650
    ArdyOCD wrote:
    He's got to be about 57kg!

Less.

I'm 55.
  • ArdyOCD
    ArdyOCD Posts: 136
    Muscle and bone density may be different though so it's hard to get within 5kg,
    On the sky procycling website it says he is 68kg - that is definitely wrong!
    1-2-3-4 Tell me what you're looking for
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ArdyOCD wrote:
    Muscle and bone density may be different though so it's hard to get within 5kg,
    On the sky procycling website it says he is 68kg - that is definitely wrong!
    He's quite tall though - over six foot
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • He's 6ft2. Articles/interview over the last couple of years quote his weight ranging 145-150lbs

EDIT
  • Look how low his rib cage comes. Those must be some BIG lungs.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    This is Dombrowski. Look how young he looks, look how thin he looks, look how narrow his shoulders are, look how long his arms are :shock:

reminds me a bit of Ali Brownlee in his gangliness and general lack of definition/ordinariness
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,159
    He's 6ft2. Articles/interview over the last couple of years quote his weight ranging 145-150lbs

EDIT

Sounds about right, I am the same height and at his age I was a very similar build and weighed in at 150lbs.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,650
    Fair enough. Height weighs a lot.
  • This is one hell of a multi-media feature on Joe Dombrowski by the Washington Post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/sports ... d/?hpid=z1
  • Never seen an article like that before...thanks for the link.
    Contador is the Greatest