So what's he on now, lads?

Comments

• avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    Dave_1 wrote:
    dave, everyone doesn't have the same dna, and it's a shame both that you think they do, and then go off on your occasional rant when you're challenged.

Thanks for the education, you're writing from your Ivory towers at uiversity I assume?...I always thought we humans were all fairly similar, and look so..seemed to be so when I raced and the ones who trained hardest and made good tactical decisions, hung on, were uusually the winners, but you know otherwise! Perhaps time you go back to get on with the PhD you broadcast you're on..

OK Dave, fresh from the ivory tower: In the same way that some of us have DNA that makes us good at bike racing (e.g. you) and some of us don't (e.g. me), some of us have DNA that makes us more responsive to, say, EPO doping than others. So some bike racers will benefit more from doping than others and the eventual hierarchy of riders if they all dope will end up different than if none of them did.

Does it still not add up? It's pretty simple and doesn't require half a phd in an unrelated subject to understand. If you have a sensible disagreement with this argument then I'm all ears, but ranting about how you are a faster cyclist than anyone else on the forum (except Chris Boardman, Robert Millar etc etc I presume) and this means simple science is wrong is just tedious Dave.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Dave_1 wrote:
    dave, everyone doesn't have the same dna, and it's a shame both that you think they do, and then go off on your occasional rant when you're challenged.

Thanks for the education, ]you're writing from your Ivory towers at uiversity I assume?...I always thought we humans were all fairly similar, and look so..seemed to be so when I raced and the ones who trained hardest and made good tactical decisions, hung on, were uusually the winners, but you know otherwise! Perhaps time you go back to get on with the PhD you broadcast you're on..

Dave - every human being has a unique set of DNA.

Some human beings have bigger lungs than others, some have different sized hearts, others are naturally more muscular than others. I'm not going to get drawn into the debate about whether LA did or didn't dope because I don't care, I've seen the same arguments repeated again and again and again.... but please recognize that humans are different, and will respond differently to the addition of various substances into their bodies.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Indeed, we even have different genes that make some respond to hypoxia, ie altitude training, when others do not. Genetic make up is a very important determinant for sporting success, our parents are the fundamental determinant of ability if you like.

Talking of genetics, it is the next frontier for anti-doping controls:
    http://www.unifr.ch/nfp37/documents/gen ... ullier.pdf
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Kléber wrote:
    Indeed, we even have different genes that make some respond to hypoxia, ie altitude training, when others do not. Genetic make up is a very important determinant for sporting success, our parents are the fundamental determinant of ability if you like.

I've got to get some better parents. :wink:
  • don key
    don key Posts: 494
    Kléber wrote:

My girlfriend is at the frontier of anti-groping controls.

She stopped wearing makeup and nice hairdos and everything was hands off and cool.

Her mistake was to stop wearing clothes as well, we're not together any more but she seems to have made lots of new friends.
  • adeyboy
    adeyboy Posts: 113
    don key wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

She stopped wearing makeup and nice hairdos and everything was hands off and cool.

Her mistake was to stop wearing clothes as well, we're not together any more but she seems to have made lots of new friends.

Nob
  • don key
    adeyboy wrote:
    don key wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

Nob

What? was hers bigger than yours?
  • adeyboy
    don key wrote:
    adeyboy wrote:
    don key wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

Nob

Get off the cycling forum Don - I think it's the Bob Monkhouse one you're looking for. For fuck's sake, just shut up.
  • don key
    adeyboy wrote:
    don key wrote:
    adeyboy wrote:
    don key wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

Nob

Get off the cycling forum Don - I think it's the Bob Monkhouse one you're looking for. For fark's sake, just shut up.

Sorry I thought you were looking for some.

Nob a job week has been Chancelled due to Popeyoular demand, you wiill be able for left overs though.

As for what I'm looking for, you may fit the bill, the lower end.

Mob Bunkhouse, my hero, went over the top some time back, he will not be reburning, the afterglow should tell you though, good luck in your search.
  • don key
    adeyboy wrote:
    don key wrote:
    adeyboy wrote:
    don key wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

Nob

Get off the cycling forum Don - I think it's the Bob Monkhouse one you're looking for. For fark's sake, just shut up.

As for your requeat, that will be a no
  • adeyboy
    don key wrote:
    adeyboy wrote:
    don key wrote:
    adeyboy wrote:
    don key wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

Nob

Nob a job week has been Chancelled due to Popeyoular demand, you wiill be able for left overs though.

Mob Bunkhouse, my hero, went over the top some time back, he will not be reburning, the afterglow should tell you though, good luck in your search.

Anyone got a clue about his guy........?
    Do you like pub quizes by any chance Don? Live alone? Mid 40s?
  • don key
    adeyboy wrote:
    don key wrote:
    adeyboy wrote:
    don key wrote:
    adeyboy wrote:
    don key wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

Nob

Oh , you want to play a game. I love games but i thought for a minute you were serious before, I'm pleased you have calmed down a bit, just a little bit , it seems to be enough to get the rules sorted out, you start with the rules and I will see if I can bend them just a teeny weeny bit, I would also be able to recommend a good bykiatrist as i am sure you are interested.
  • adeyboy
    don key wrote:
    adeyboy wrote:
    don key wrote:
    adeyboy wrote:
    don key wrote:
    adeyboy wrote:
    don key wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

Nob

Oh , you want to play a game. I love games but i thought for a minute you were serious before, I'm pleased you have calmed down a bit, just a little bit , it seems to be enough to get the rules sorted out, you start with the rules and I will see if I can bend them just a teeny weeny bit, I would also be able to recommend a good bykiatrist as i am sure you are interested.

I'm going to take that as a 'yes'. Now I'm going to stop.
    I don't doubt for a second that you'll carry on though. You do tend to go on....... and on..
  • don key
    adeyboy wrote:
    don key wrote:
    adeyboy wrote:
    don key wrote:
    adeyboy wrote:
    don key wrote:
    adeyboy wrote:
    don key wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

Nob

I'm going to take that as a 'yes'. Now I'm going to stop.
    I don't doubt for a second that you'll carry on though. You do tend to go on....... and on..

Your doubts are secondary to my mission to see you cured once and for all to live happily ever after, don't ask for another good night story because mine is going to be so brilliant as to upset your weeping pattern. Leap swell
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    adeyboy wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

Thanks for the education, you're writing from your Ivory towers at uiversity I assume?...I always thought we humans were all fairly similar, and look so..seemed to be so when I raced and the ones who trained hardest and made good tactical decisions, hung on, were uusually the winners, but you know otherwise! Perhaps time you go back to get on with the PhD you broadcast you're on..

I don't think you need a university education to know that everyone on the planet has unique DNA make-up.

Secondly, get the chip off your shoulder will you; it's tiresome in the extreme to have to read through your playground taunts to get to, what may be, a sensible discussion. If you're paranoid about not having a university education, go and get one - I'm sure there is something out there to suit whatever you do. If you don't fancy it at least do us the favour of hiding your silly, old fashioned prejudice.

I have no chip on my shoulder. I wasn't very good at cycling-like many I guess. I have a uni education and I am not a great fan of academia as it has a number of people doing PHds in subjects they don't care much for but they want to letters after their name and the right to brag about it so "research" subjects, pander to whoever is funding that line of research, and if they fail.. well..someone with money might help them do the self-funding route, which of course many unis are only too happy to entertain as it is good for business.

Re cycling,...what is required in cycling is two arms, two legs, good health,the right parents- confidence building of kids, teenagers, self confidence, intelligence, knowing the right people and yourself, a good coach...these things are what matters.

Bikeradar pro race members post on the doping aspect, not on the fact some people might just be a bit better than others. My apologies for suggesting Armstrong and Ullrich, and others, might just have been very very talented as well. You get on with doping threads..have said all I want on this topic
  • dave_1
    johnfinch wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

Thanks for the education, ]you're writing from your Ivory towers at uiversity I assume?...I always thought we humans were all fairly similar, and look so..seemed to be so when I raced and the ones who trained hardest and made good tactical decisions, hung on, were uusually the winners, but you know otherwise! Perhaps time you go back to get on with the PhD you broadcast you're on..

Dave - every human being has a unique set of DNA.

Some human beings have bigger lungs than others, some have different sized hearts, others are naturally more muscular than others. I'm not going to get drawn into the debate about whether LA did or didn't dope because I don't care, I've seen the same arguments repeated again and again and again.... but please recognize that humans are different, and will respond differently to the addition of various substances into their bodies.

Fair enough John. AndyAurelioyp said LA was only a good responder to doping...but maybe LA was a good responder to training too as we have different attributes. I can muddy the water too with subjective opinion :)
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,483
    I thought you were done on this topic?
  • adeyboy
    edited July 2009
    Dave_1 wrote:
    adeyboy wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

I don't think you need a university education to know that everyone on the planet has unique DNA make-up.

Secondly, get the chip off your shoulder will you; it's tiresome in the extreme to have to read through your playground taunts to get to, what may be, a sensible discussion. If you're paranoid about not having a university education, go and get one - I'm sure there is something out there to suit whatever you do. If you don't fancy it at least do us the favour of hiding your silly, old fashioned prejudice.

I have no chip on my shoulder. I wasn't very good at cycling-like many I guess. I have a uni education and I am not a great fan of academia as it has a number of people doing PHds in subjects they don't care much for but they want to letters after their name and the right to brag about it so "research" subjects, pander to whoever is funding that line of research, and if they fail.. well..someone with money might help them do the self-funding route, which of course many unis are only too happy to entertain as it is good for business.

Re cycling,...what is required in cycling is two arms, two legs, good health,the right parents- confidence building of kids, teenagers, self confidence, intelligence, knowing the right people and yourself, a good coach...these things are what matters.

Bikeradar pro race members post on the doping aspect, not on the fact some people might just be a bit better than others. My apologies for suggesting Armstrong and Ullrich, and others, might just have been very very talented as well. You get on with doping threads..have said all I want on this topic

For what it's worth, I happen to agree with your points!!! Apologies for getting tetchy back there!

I think Armstrong wins because he is physically better and more fiercly driven (for many reasons) than the rest. Most top top sportsment are probably a nightmare as people - by which I mean the level of drive needed to reach the very top either turns them into single minded near egomaniacs OR it is because they are like that that they suceed. They don't always have to be 'likeable' for us to like them/admire them.

I can't imagine for one second that Armstrong would come back and risk his reputation if he had anything to hide. And on here, people may think he has no reputation - but for most normal people who don't trawl internet forums (yes I get the irony), such as my Dad a cycling nut of 70 years, he does still have a fantastic reputation. To 90% of the sport following population he is an untainted hero.
  • dave_1
    Dave_1 wrote:

OK Dave, fresh from the ivory tower: In the same way that some of us have DNA that makes us good at bike racing (e.g. you) and some of us don't (e.g. me), some of us have DNA that makes us more responsive to, say, EPO doping than others. So some bike racers will benefit more from doping than others and the eventual hierarchy of riders if they all dope will end up different than if none of them did.

Does it still not add up? It's pretty simple and doesn't require half a phd in an unrelated subject to understand. If you have a sensible disagreement with this argument then I'm all ears, but ranting about how you are a faster cyclist than anyone else on the forum (except Chris Boardman, Robert Millar etc etc I presume) and this means simple science is wrong is just tedious Dave.

Was Lance A also a good responder to training? Nah...must have been a cheat and liar..no way could someone just be much better than us? Must have cheated! :lol:
  • dave_1
    andyp wrote:
    I thought you were done on this topic?

yes, should have re-edited previous post. Can some people also be good responders to training? You muddy the waters with the good responder theory..I am too
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,483
    I'd love to see where I posted that Armstrong was lazy and didn't train. It's a given for a professional athlete to have to train to achieve optimal condition. It's what they do in addition to the training that is the matter in hand.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    A doper who responds better to doping than other dopers is still a doper. It's still against the rules, even if everyone is cheating.

Yes, Lance Armstrong was and still is a good cyclist. He trains hard, and may very well be genetically pre-disposed to respond better to training than other cyclists. I have no problem admitting that, but I also think it's fairly irrelevant. A cheat is still a cheat, no matter how talented he is.
  • don key
    afx237vi wrote:
    A doper who responds better to doping than other dopers is still a doper. It's still against the rules, even if everyone is cheating.

Yes, Lance Armstrong was and still is a good cyclist. He trains hard, and may very well be genetically pre-disposed to respond better to training than other cyclists. I have no problem admitting that, but I also think it's fairly irrelevant. A cheat is still a cheat, no matter how talented he is.

I'm forced to agree, though it's not been my forte today, got a lot of peoples cracks up today.
    I should give myself a birdy on my back for that. A hole in nun, no that's just smutty, how dare you.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    don key wrote:

I'm forced to agree, though it's not been my forte today, got a lot of peoples cracks up today.
    I should give myself a birdy on my back for that. A hole in nun, no that's just smutty, how dare you.

donkey - might it be possible for you to just fcuk off...??
  • dave_1
    andyp wrote:
    I'd love to see where I posted that Armstrong was lazy and didn't train. It's a given for a professional athlete to have to train to achieve optimal condition. It's what they do in addition to the training that is the matter in hand.

I know ...but the debates on here do focus a bit much on the dishonesty aspect, to the point we all just about forget one needs be very very good at cycling or try hard in the sport...the impression is created that it's just like a few shots of EPO and the right genetics and then you get 7 TDF wins.
  • adeyboy
    softlad wrote:
    don key wrote:

:lol: ha ha

Unfortunately, I can answer on his behalf; no it is not possible.
  • don key
    adeyboy wrote:
    softlad wrote:
    don key wrote:

My soon to be, eternal stalkers/clan flub?

For a soft lad you take the opposing stance, do you by any chance dress the part aswell.

Your rudeness is acceptable under the circumstances, you being caught within site of
    malign today was most contortionate, yesI I do feel your pain and may licence it at some point, it being so extremely effective in reducing you to fears unknown to others. Please do get back to me if you have any other underlying issues other than your A.M.Is.
  • storck
    storck Posts: 64
    Why is it aiways about Armstrong doping ?was he is he will we ever know well until proven he is innocent whether we like it or not,im a Scot and as proud as iam to see D.Millar doing well his best results were when he was doping still hes not Armstrong so thatd no good to some wingers anyone who can take 3/4 years and i mean anyone and come back and do so well up till now bloody well done,im going to be on the Ventoux when the race goes up i hope as many as possible are still in contention to make it a great spectacle for cycling its so easy to say things through forums etc and not to a person directly.go on someone please change the Record.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    adeyboy wrote:
    softlad wrote:
    don key wrote:

sadly, I think you may be right. The fool seems to think he is Stanley Unwin - but is not in the same league...
  • don key
    edited July 2009
    softlad wrote:
    adeyboy wrote:
    softlad wrote:
    don key wrote:

sadly, I think you may be right. The fool seems to think he is Stanley Unwin - but is not in the same league...

Say the right thing to the wrong people, you reel them in. Yous, two wee wheeze in a pod.

I thought I'd find you in The M.J. thread and sure enough there you were. Agonising isn't i,t to be told something you don't want to read/hear. I knew when I wrote it that some rabid rabbit would bite and fight for all its worthlessness and I still wrote it. There are people like you the world over, they have the same valuelessness every where.

Didn't work there and it sure wont work here but keep trying anyway as failure brings its own, very personal and private glory.