Marmotte 2010..

124»

Comments

• ded
    ded Posts: 120
    Seems you can only register for the LA RONDE PICARDE not the Marmotte?
    registration for the Marmotte usually opens around Xmas - I entered quite quickly after that...
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Have look at

www.colconquerors.com or www.gpm10.com for support,training etc. I've ridden the Marmotte route a few times, but it seems a lot of torment,effort,cost for 1 x day of riding. For not much more outlay I can have a week over there going at my pace where I want. Yes, I know that's not the point and chapeau to all those who do it or are going to do it.
    M.Rushton
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    mrushton, why not go for a week and finish it with the Marmotte? Entry is easy, if you can register to use this forum you can manage to sign up for the ride?
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    I've done some sportives out there and ridden Chamonix - Nice. But I'd rather just do some kind of supported ride and cover the route over 2 days rather than battle the heat/cold/1000s of cyclists many of whom are a liability imo/early start time etc. Better I leave those who want to do it to do it if you see what I mean. Of course, if I had any ability and could ride in the first 50 then I'd be out there like a shot!
    M.Rushton
  • Did it for the first time this year having only started riding on the road as well as mountainbiking a year before. It's a great event and well worth doing and I will be back again next year. Went this year with the sole objective of making it around and did not think about the time at all. Instead I watched my heart rate monitor with eagle eyes and made sure I never went over 85%.
    Seamed to work pretty well and I still felt pretty good all the way up Alpe D. Managed it in 9:03 this year and have set myself a target for next year of a sub 8hour time, so as a result I have continued on with the same level / amount of riding as last year.
  • Does anyone know the times required to achieve gold and silver, specifically in the 40 year old age bracket?
  • ded
    ded Posts: 120
    Carpe Diem wrote:
    Does anyone know the times required to achieve gold and silver, specifically in the 40 year old age bracket?
    http://www.sportcommunication.info/GT/epreuve2.php?langue=2&trophee=128#parcours I think 40+ is category D (a mate of mine was in that and I think he said his gold time would be 9:15 so...) It tells you the categories somewhere on that website... :roll:
  • Carpe Diem wrote:
    Does anyone know the times required to achieve gold and silver, specifically in the 40 year old age bracket?
    9h 15 for gold; 11h 08 for silver if you are male. 10h 17 and 12h 21 respectively if you are female
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    mrushton wrote:
    Have look at

www.colconquerors.com or www.gpm10.com for support,training etc. I

Has anyone used the companies mentioned above? Good points, bad points?

Thank you.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    A friend went with GPM 10, had a good time but they are very pricey for what they offer.

If you want a weekend, book your own flight and a hire car and you can reach many excellent roads, especially if do some homework on a place like here over the winter. You can probably offer yourself two or three weekends for the same outlay.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Kléber wrote:
    A friend went with GPM 10, had a good time but they are very pricey for what they offer.

If you want a weekend, book your own flight and a hire car and you can reach many excellent roads, especially if do some homework on a place like here over the winter. You can probably offer yourself two or three weekends for the same outlay.

I'd agree. Given its easy to enter, get to, lots of hotels in the area and you finish where you start not sure what benefit you get from going with a tour company.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • airwise
    airwise Posts: 248
    Why not build a holiday around the event and maybe take another Sportive or two in at the same time.

The Marmotte really doesn't give you much of a taste of the continental sportives - it's too full of Brits and Dutch. The French wlsely stay away and enjoy themselves on more enjoyable events.

Also it's hilarious watching Brits arriving on the Friday and then failing miserably to achieve their potential simply because they haven't prepared properly. I'd thoroughly recommend taking a week to get used to climbs of similar length before the event. I go to the Vercors, stay with Gastrobiking, and coped surprisingly well come the day. I'll be going back again - the general vibe was not as "up it's own a**e" as GPM10 and the like. A lesson that fun can lead to results.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    If looking for a contintental sportive thats every bit as challenging as the Marmotte and also dead easy to self organise i'd recommend the GF Marco Pantani held at Aprica North Italy last weekend of June (so week before the Marmotte). Its got 3 route options so all cats of riders catered for and its run on (pretty much) closed roads. Best value for money in terms of entry as well, since you get a great goody back including a nice giodarna souvenir cycle jersey.

If time permits not a bad week is to head out and do this event then wend way over to Bourg to do a few climbs/descents (taking both nice and easy) along the way, then do the Marmotte.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • Rode the Marmotte a few years ago - really tough but fantastic day out. Real pain though flying out with the bike so thinking about going with a tour company this year. Seen an ad for Marmotte Tours in Cycling Weekly - looks much better value than the rest + accommodation is around Bourg close to the start. Othewise, anyone know of any cheap flight+bike / accommodation offers?
  • Hi

I'm Rob from Col Conquerors. If you are interested in making a holiday of a trip for one of the smaller sportives that are highlighted on our site www.colconquerors.com drop me a mail via info@colconquerors.com.

We are a small company and want to provide people with a friendly experience where everyone feels at ease for the week or time they spend with us. We're in this because we love spending time with people in the mountains.

I hope to hear back from some of you at some stage!!!

Cheers

Rob
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Oh well I guess I will be contoversial as usual :D
    Personally I think many people on here often over complicate and over analyse things.
    There are many ways to prepeare for the Marmotte and other events.
    To say UK climbs will not prepare you is not true, same as saying riding on the flat ot turbo wont help.
    Basically any riding will help.
    The one important thing is not to underestimate the event but on the other hand have confidence you will complete the ride and not be to daunted by it.
    Yes it is hard but look at how many people finish it every year and look at the ages of people who complete it also.
    It also will depend on the way you wish to ride it, it is totally different riding it as fast as you can compared to riding it just to fininsh, same as any ride really.
    If not experienced in riding long hard rides then it is obviously worth riding something like the dragon, not for the hills, but to get the feel for a long ride and getting your eating right for the event. But even then if you dont, to play safe just stop at every feed and drink station and carry some individual supplies also.

I did it in about 8 hours 30 and most of my prep was club runs where I just added extra miles on the end myself.
    I only did it once and do not intend to do it again as I found it was not that good staying on the Alpe as it meant the only riding I got was up and down the Alpe everyday and in the busy valley roads :D
    I prefer the fondo's in Italy, better riding midweek in th elead up and better value all round.
  • I totally agree, in fact I know people who have trained very hard inside and on UK based hills during the winter and have then gone on to get times in La Marmotte of around 9 and a half hours.

I have normally recommended people new to the mountains visit once if possible before the event to get a feel for the climbing and improve confidence levels for the descents, however this is not essential to complete the event and certainly not as important as lots of low intensity miles early in the winter.

The roads are also so much quieter and more enjoyable outside of La Marmotte and a base outside of the Alpe d'Huez provides easier access to many other routes.

Our cycling season came to an abrupt end this weekend with the first major snow of the winter!!

Cheers

Rob

Col Conquerors