Dekker positive

Comments

• takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    victorponf wrote:
    why now?

Because UCI lost Protour´s battle with ASO and now it´s wanting revenge, just f--k the Tour organizer.

My thoughts exactly, it's been the same case since 2006. Every year the "powers that be" conspire to make the flagship event of this sport look bad.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    New in from Holland:-
    Dutch newspaper telegraaf suggests there will be another positive case announced tomorrow.
    the normally well-informed mart smeets kind of suggested the same thing on tv just now. the way he said it suggests a rabo rider....

Mart Smeets.

He's a bit of an oddball...

I do like his late night stage programme 'de avonde etappe' though.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    micron wrote:
    Kohl made it pretty clear that Silence Lotto were happy to sign him precisely because he was good at keeping his values in check for the passport - which seemed to imply that they didn't give a sh*t how he achieved that or what he might be doing so long as the passport values stayed 'clean'.

He didn't imply that - he merely said they were happy to sign him after seeing his values were ok. He then implied that was because it was easy for him to cheat the passport.

The UCI countered that:

i) they were in the early stages of collecting and verifying data for the passport and he was caught months before they'd got to the stage of making the passport programme legally watertight to be able to prosecute any rider.

ii) he'd only received a small proportion of his results to show Silence-Lotto

iii) they implied he was one of the riders with a dodgy blood profile and had thus been target tested meading to the CERA find.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    It's a shame though. I enjoy watching Dekker ride.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • another one bites the dust!
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    I just love the fact that going back a couple of years ago (I think Nov 2007/Dec 2007 Procycling did a special feature on the future of Cycling.

In it they interviewed A Schleck, Contador, Gerdemann (I think) and Dekker

All 4 of them at one stage spoke about doping, how "that was old school, we are the clean generation", blah, blah, blah, or words to that effect.

What a crock of you know what.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    I'm not sure whether this is the case mart Smeets referred to, but a new positive: Clement L'Hotellerie, French rider for Vacansoleil.
    http://www.telegraaf.nl/telesport/tourd ... html?p=3,1

It says it's for something some riders are allowed to use for medical reasons, although not L'Hotellerie. So not EPO at least.
  • No one seems to have mentioned the Ferrari link. Is Ferrari still up to his old tricks? I had thought that Dekker got his 'training plans' from Cecchini?

Dekker also announced two years ago that he had been collaborating with Italian trainer Michele Ferrari, who has been controversially linked with administering EPO since the 1990s. Ferrari is best known for having worked with seven-time Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong, who in 2001 admitted he had collaborated with the Italian doctor.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/t ... test-22231
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Taking this from another forum, as I post....
    for the dutch speaking ones:

http://tour2009.nos.nl/video/bekijken/i ... mas-dekker

For non Dutch speakers, Mart Smeets (who has covered the Tour since time immemorial for Dutch tv) said that Breukink was in a difficult position, that there were other names, at least one of which would likely break tomorrow and that he felt it was time for Rabo to 'come clean'. He hinted that he knew much more....he also reported that Boonen had arrived in Monaco.....where he has a home!

A lot of forumites very worried that it might be Menchov and that this might well be the end of the road for Rabo, as the sponsors will pull out.
    This will be a massive blow, not just for Dutch cycling, but for the sport in general.
    Rabo fund a lot more than just the PT team.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • It will be terrible blow, but it will be self inflicted one. As usual.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    aurelio wrote:
    No one seems to have mentioned the Ferrari link. Is Ferrari still up to his old tricks? I had thought that Dekker got his 'training plans' from Cecchini?

He did. That article must be wrong.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Nice to know that Dekkers positive test is only an "indiscretion"

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/dekker- ... -for-evans

If it was Valverde, they'd have driven a stake through his heart.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Kohl? Vienna? Dekker? What name does that conjure up? Oh only the incumbent of the maglia rosa....

So that would leave us with DDL..... :roll:
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    Kohl? Vienna? Dekker? What name does that conjure up? Oh only the incumbent of the maglia rosa....

So that would leave us with DDL..... :roll:

Don't you just love it?
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    When Dekker was interviewed in ProCycling, he said:

"From January 1, 2008 we should all draw a line under the past and make a fresh start..... It's the beginning of a new phase in cycling.... "

You wish. Gets you off the hook by what, 7 days?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    B-Sample came back positive. But nice to see him admit it now and say sorry and that he'll accept responsibility for his actions.
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    He admits to doping once, the time he was caught. I find that an even bigger affront to the public's intelligence than denying everything till the end. With the B-sample positive, it's not like he has any choice but to accept the consequences of his actions, either. Bad, bad PR, IMO.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    If he's admitting it, it would have been much better to cancel the B-testing and confess instead of stringing out the process. He's claiming it was a "one off" but this will have fans, riders, journalists and a few lab technicians in Italy guffawing. Pull the other one Thomas!
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Kléber wrote:
    If he's admitting it, it would have been much better to cancel the B-testing and confess instead of stringing out the process. He's claiming it was a "one off" but this will have fans, riders, journalists and a few lab technicians in Italy guffawing. Pull the other one Thomas!

True - but he has to ask for a B-sample test (even though he knows he's guilty) on the off-chance it comes back negative.

How many of the other big names that were busted this year have "come clean" even after getting the double positive? Not all that many...

Small measure, but a measure nonetheless.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I know. But he was still trying the B-sample in case he could slip off on a technicality. Many might opt for this but that doesn't mean it's not slippery.

As for coming clean, he's confessed to the bare minimum, it was "once". Like it or not he's had a terrible reputation within the bunch, several teams refused to hire him, they knew the score from the tales in the bunch, indeed some saw his blood passport levels.
  • Arkibal
    Arkibal Posts: 850
    edited September 2009
    Silence Lotto doesn't sound very serious about anti-doping, they had Leukemans and Bileka testing positive, and hired riders no other teams would touch, Dekker and Kohl.

And Evans response to a new clean cycling?
    When asked after Sunday's race whether it was a victory for clean cycling, he said: "It's not my responsibility to answer that." On the contrary. Part of the responsibility of being world champion should be precisely that, to strike a blow for clean sport.
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... mment.html

edit. name spelling
  • Sounds like a weasel question designed to catch out Evans.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Arkibal wrote:
    Silence Lotto doesn't sound very serious about anti-doping, they had Leukemans and Beloki testing positive, and hired riders no other teams would touch, Dekker and Kohl.

When asked after Sunday's race whether it was a victory for clean cycling, he said: "It's not my responsibility to answer that." On the contrary. Part of the responsibility of being world champion should be precisely that, to strike a blow for clean sport.

What you want him to say? Yes - implicates other race winners many of whom are also clean. No - and it means he's doping. He's learned not to make any comment unless he's had time to consider what he's going to say.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Arkibal
    Arkibal Posts: 850
    RichN95 wrote:
    Arkibal wrote:
    Silence Lotto doesn't sound very serious about anti-doping, they had Leukemans and Beloki testing positive, and hired riders no other teams would touch, Dekker and Kohl.

What you want him to say? Yes - implicates other race winners many of whom are also clean. No - and it means he's doping. He's learned not to make any comment unless he's had time to consider what he's going to say.

Maybe something like:
    I've never tested positive so I'm clean? :wink:

Just pointing out that if Lotto is willing to sign riders with suspicious values, do they even care?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Arkibal wrote:

Just pointing out that if Lotto is willing to sign riders with suspicious values, do they even care?

I think they care. Unfortunately I also think that they're largely incompetent.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Arkibal wrote:
    Silence Lotto doesn't sound very serious about anti-doping, they had Leukemans and Bileka testing positive, and hired riders no other teams would touch, Dekker and Kohl.

edit. name spelling

That troubled me a bit at the time. Looking back though, if i'd just got the biggest win of my career and no sooner had I crossed the line after 7 hours some journo wanted to ask me about drugs, i'd be pretty miffed too.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • iainf72
    Dekker does go to show that having a stinking reputation does say quite a lot. Remember last year when he was rumoured to be signing with Garmin....

The poor guy didn't stand a chance- Linked to Cecchini and Sophie van Vliet.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    Dekker does go to show that having a stinking reputation does say quite a lot. Remember last year when he was rumoured to be signing with Garmin....

The poor guy didn't stand a chance- Linked to Cecchini and Sophie van Vliet.

That girl is trouble.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • was the 'youngster boonen was pictured with?'
  • iainf72
    was the 'youngster boonen was pictured with?'

Yes. The same one who stopped the press room dead during the Tour de France by merely walking in.