Dekker positive

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited October 2009 in Pro race
For EPO!
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    apparently a retest from a december 2007 sample.

i'm looking forward to hearing what inspired them to do that...

good news for wegelius though
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,481
    I'm stunned.

That it's taken this long to catch him.
  • iainf72
    Ceccho will be disappointed that another rider he coached has fallen victim to the foul dopers.

He's rich, you know.
  • claudb
    claudb Posts: 212
    How the heck do you get these scoops Iain ????
    I for one am not really surprised if this is true. Makes you wonder whether
    EPO is actually addictive and they can't get off it !!
    Once again it's timing in relation to Le Tour is perfect for a media scrum.
    Oh well, the Tour was invented to sell newspapers.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Do you reckon he got the stuff in McDonalds?
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    The useless get, I backed him with a small punt to win the white jersey in that years tour, and even on the gear he still cocked up.

:evil:
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    kinda makes you wonder about the idea it was only the older generation that did it, Honchar, Vino, Frigo...seems infact it is young hopefuls mostlly...ban him for life...clear the way for another rider. Of course, a 10 minute penalty was once the punishment, perhaps time to up it, draw a line under previous punsihment levels and start ending careers, no plea bargains offered?
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    Makes you wonder what Rabo knew, and why they didn't / couldn't do something about it then
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    bipedal wrote:
    Makes you wonder what Rabo knew, and why they didn't / couldn't do something about it then

Rabo knew, and they got rid of him - can't do much more. Perhaps another question is what did Silence Lotto think they were buying. Did they care?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • iainf72
    LangerDan wrote:
    Rabo knew, and they got rid of him - can't do much more. Perhaps another question is what did Silence Lotto think they were buying. Did they care?

Kohl and Dekker.

D'oh.
  • zippypablo
    zippypablo Posts: 398
    you don't accidentally take this stuff. I'm at the point where I think a zero tolerance stance should be adopted and they get thrown out of the sport for good :cry:
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Should've been zero tolerance a long time ago... otherwise whats gonna stop it?
  • zippypablo
    zippypablo Posts: 398
    Moomaloid wrote:
    Should've been zero tolerance a long time ago... otherwise whats gonna stop it?

maybe anyone caught should be put in stocks and everyone who stood at the side of the road to watch gets to throw rotten food at them :twisted:
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    good news for wegelius though
    + 1 on that and at least they sorted it out prior to the Tour kicking off. The less of this the better once it gets underway.

Have to say I agree too that Iain72 you should be on the pay roll of Bikeradar for the ammount of news you get on here first :o
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    So what does everyone think - that Rabobank got rid of him cos they're trying to ride clean, or because he was doing it in such a blatant way that he was bound to get caught sooner or later?

I'd like to believe that it was the former, and that maybe the Rasmussen affair had given the team the kick it really needed to sort itself out. I just hope the Vienna rumours turn out not to be true.

I was fairly optimistic that cycling was pulling in the right direction, but there's only so much bad news that an optimist can take.... :(
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    zippypablo wrote:
    you don't accidentally take this stuff. I'm at the point where I think a zero tolerance stance should be adopted and they get thrown out of the sport for good :cry:

the plea bargain as a deal has some drawbacks...they still get their spot back in two years or one year and there is a good chance a lifeban would leave them bitter enough to spill the beans anyway, so reducing the need for plea bargains...definitely time to end careers going forward..seems the only way...unfair though it is that other greats get respect when they did the same stuff..
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    He's been linked to many suspicious rumours, talk of odd blood values in the passport and links to Luigi Cecchini too. Plenty of smoke if you like, now someone's detected the fire.
  • iainf72
    Dekker done for DynEPO apparantly.

Oooof.

Detected it in the chicken with an unofficial test in 07. Do you think this is the new test Pierre says they have?
  • afx237vi
    iainf72 wrote:

Oooof.

Detected it in the chicken with an unofficial test in 07. Do you think this is the new test Pierre says they have?

If that's true, I'm surprised they announced it before the Tour starts. Can we expect a mass withdrawal of riders with food poisoning (bad eggs, right) before the pre-race medical checks?

<tinfoilhat>

Unless there are some people they don't want to catch...

</tinfoilhat>
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    claudb wrote:
    Makes you wonder whether EPO is actually addictive and they can't get off it !!
    I was pondering this during a drugs ed talk at my son's school - although EPO may not be addictive, I suspect the sensations the riders get when on it probably are.

Imagine if you could increase your power output 10-15% almost overnight. It would be pretty hard to go back once you've experienced the "turbo" version of yourself.

I suspect there is a lot of mental pressure also - the whole "arms race" scenario that Kimmage talked about in "Rough Ride".

I remember a couple of years back how Iain scoffed when I suggested Dekker was one of the new "clean generation". I have always been an appalling judge of character. :x
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    If this is a new test there's going to some frantic re-writing of results, a host of Tranquilo riders, a bunch of mysterious pre tour illnesses and a quick call to Mr P. Power from me to bet on some more!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,481
    The UCI have issued a press release;

http://www.uci.ch/Modules/ENews/ENewsDe ... LangId%3D1
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    The AFLD will nail anyone they can afx237vi.

If they can do retrotests for Dynepo, I imagine a lot of riders are going to be sweating.
  • afx237vi
    The UCI statement says it was Dynepo. That's kinda let the cat out of the bag...
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    andyp wrote:
    The UCI have issued a press release

that's what they do...

it's an interesting one though. it's ambiguous between "he's being pursued because of his blood values AND this failed test" and "he's being pursued because of this failed test, which we did because of his blood values".
  • iainf72
    If I'm reading it correctly, they're saw wierd blood results, + evidence of a DynEPO and have opened a case.

Rather than a plain out fail for DynEPO.
  • iainf72
    Interesting that he's been on the "People who are on the passport list" for a while now...
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    afx237vi wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Oooof.

If that's true, I'm surprised they announced it before the Tour starts. Can we expect a mass withdrawal of riders with food poisoning (bad eggs, right) before the pre-race medical checks?

<tinfoilhat>

Unless there are some people they don't want to catch...

</tinfoilhat>

TBH, I'd have thought that now is the ideal time to announce it.

1)Anyone that bails out now will be a de facto doper, without the need for tests.

2) With the press focus on cycling in the run up to the Tour, the biological passport scheme gets some much needed positive (sorry) publicity after Kohls comments.

3) Riders caught / withdrawing now also avoids the need for publicity-damaging positives during the Tour

"Bad guys" caught, UCI & ASO get thru' July smelling faintly of roses (for a change).
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • afx237vi
    LangerDan wrote:
    TBH, I'd have thought that now is the ideal time to announce it.

1)Anyone that bails out now will be a de facto doper, without the need for tests.

2) With the press focus on cycling in the run up to the Tour, the biological passport scheme gets some much needed positive (sorry) publicity after Kohls comments.

3) Riders caught / withdrawing now also avoids the need for publicity-damaging positives during the Tour

"Bad guys" caught, UCI & ASO get thru' July smelling faintly of roses (for a change).

True, but I think the AFLD would have preferred to nab a whole bunch of riders in one fell swoop, a la CERA last year.

The UCI is all about damage limitation.
  • GroupOfOne MkII
    GroupOfOne MkII Posts: 1,289
    LangerDan wrote:
    Perhaps another question is what did Silence Lotto think they were buying. Did they care?

Kohl made some comment that was laced with innuendo about how Silence had looked at his bio-passport results and liked what they saw. Presumably the same people admired Dekker's passport.

It's not really the biggest of shocks though is it, as has been stated, so many teams looked at him when he left and Rabo and decided not even to extend their barge pole, that I'm not really surprised he's been done.