Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    heres some pics of the alu versions of the new stumpy fsr:

P7140121.JPG
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ooh, heres the demos:

mpbpic3736294.jpg
  • I'm gonna put the boot in too!

I think that from riding a few 2009 bikes that 140mm is a reasonable amount of travel for a bike that likes to go up and down equally well. Alloy and carbon manipulation has moved on so much that a 140mm bike is as light as a 120mm bike was 4 years ago (when Specialized launched the 120mm lineup) without losing the stiffness and strength that a 140mm bike needs to be effective. If you have decided that 140mm is too much for your preference (I'm with Supersonic on this one, I like bikes to feel fast) then rejoice, as your 120mm bikes will be stiffer and/or lighter for 2010 and well into the future.

However, I'd like to point out one thing, just because a bike has a certain amount of travel, don't assume it will ride the same way. A great example of this is Trek/Fisher's 2009 120mm bikes. The Fuel EX and the HiFi. Both excellent bikes, both aimed at the same kind of riding, both about the same weight, price and specs. Couldn't be more different in their feel. The EX is stiffer, plusher and has a slower handling feel (slacker head angle, no G2), the HiFi has razor sharp handling, a fairly flexy frame and isn't as plush but pedals a lot better.

Me and one of the guys I work with (we ride at exactly the same pace and have very similar bike handling ability) bought one each, I had a HiFi, he had an EX. When we went for a ride down the forest of Dean we found that through chattery rooty terrain the EX pulled away but when the trails smoothed out and we hammered the pedals, the HiFi reeled in the EX. Moral of the story? 2 bikes from the same company, same amount of travel, aimed at the same rider, totally different. If Specialized want to make the Stumpjumper a fast feeling bike they will make it so, if they want to make an armchair, they'll do that. Compare the Roscoe to the Pitch, the Roscoe is probably the fastest 140mm bike under pedalling and tight singletrack but it's nowhere as much as a hooligan in rough terrain as the pitch, nor as plush. Then take a Prophet or an Orange 5, they're somewhere in between.

I'm not saying that we'll all be riding 8" bikes 10 years down the line for XC or that we should, but who knows? We should be more open minded, I doubt Specialized would introduce a 140mm bike if they weren't sure it would be a success, they're too mainstream to risk bringing out a bad bike, especially in the most popular class of full suspension bikes.
    I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?
  • The new 2010 Enduro looks much better in the flesh, and the slacker head angle makes it feel much nicer than the previous years models. It's the sort of bike that if I were to ride in the Alps or race the mega then it would be the sort of thing I would be looking at.

As to some previous comments on not seeing the point to 100mm travel full sussers, I totally see the point and would love a short travel 4X style rig. They feel fast, nippy and agile yet take that wee sting out of the tail on the rougher tracks.
  • Looking at the new Enduro Expert, glad I saved myself a grand and got th 09!