2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR and Enduro bikes

Comments

• joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Dont you guyes see? they are sending it to war with the scott Genius, ultra ligh long travel!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    the thing is only the mega expensive s-works and limited genius weigh 22lbs the rest are no lighter than anything else and we all get drawn in by the mega light weight when actually just about any other affordable trail bike is just as light as an ali version of a stumpy or genius. damn the marketing people!!!!
  • joshtp
    lawman wrote:
    the thing is only the mega expensive s-works and limited genius weigh 22lbs the rest are no lighter than anything else and we all get drawn in by the mega light weight when actually just about any other affordable trail bike is just as light as an ali version of a stumpy or genius. damn the marketing people!!!!
    no, your right, i was just being drawn in by marketing, although 22lb's for full on 6 inches starts to make the genius ltd look not quite so silly expensive, even with its £8000 price tag, still mental though
    I like bikes and stuff
  • lawman
    thats the thing unless your mega rich or a pro most of us will never be able to justify that much on a bike. most of us would spend 3 maybe 4 grand on a bike so why pay nearly double that to lose a few lbs???? i bet you would hardly notice and the fact you would be ridin a bike worth 8 grand would always play on your mind when really hammering it
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Travel doesn't always equal weight. But usually longer travel bikes will be beefed up for the intended use.

I would imagine with the right kit you could build it less than 20lbs. Wheter you'd want to or not...
  • lawman
    thats my point.

anyone who wants a 20lb bike is either a) an xc racer/ rider or b) a knob who just wants to show off and would be no faster on it than a "normal" trail bike

for me 6" 22lbs bikes are just plain stupid. a 4" 20lbs feels skittish as hell and i doubt that with any extra travel it would be any better as the bike would still fly all over the place. plus ibet they tend to be flexier than heavier bikes too. id rather be confident that my bike can take rather than know its lighter than everything else out there
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    The Scott Genius is only a trail bike with 150mm of travel.
    lawman wrote:
    My All Mountain Enduro SL is pretty light, 27.2lbs and it'didn't cost much over £3k.
  • joshtp
    lawman wrote:
    thats my point.

anyone who wants a 20lb bike is either a) an xc racer/ rider or b) a knob who just wants to show off and would be no faster on it than a "normal" trail bike

for me 6" 22lbs bikes are just plain stupid. a 4" 20lbs feels skittish as hell and i doubt that with any extra travel it would be any better as the bike would still fly all over the place. plus ibet they tend to be flexier than heavier bikes too. id rather be confident that my bike can take rather than know its lighter than everything else out there
    Look at the MBUK superbike article on the Genius ltd, doesnt look flexy, weak, or skitish to me!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • lawman
    my uncle has one, an old rc limited and it scares the crap out of me. a mate has two 22lb bikes, a rocky mountain vertex team and a kona hei hei supreme and they both feel sketchy as hell. i just dont think that a bike that light with that much travel would work. think of the leverage the frame would be subjected too, and tbh if you need 6" of travel you certainlty dont want a 22lb bike.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    New Enduro is a bit busy looking for me, a little too much going on in the front, err, triangle. It does look sleek and stealthy though.
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    We've posted a full article on the new Specialized MTB range here:

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/s ... ikes-22224
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    I must admit I've been checking out a lot of 140mm travel trail bikes for a while now and I'm glad to see the Stumpjumper make my list.
  • supersonic
    They have dropped the angles too. So the Stumpy, which was a fast and nippy trail machine with shortish travel is not now, and seems titled towrds pointing down and more stability.

There is a hole in the range I think.
  • SDK2007
    supersonic - with the fork set to the lower setting (115mm) the head angle is the same as the 2009 Stumpy FSR. Thus there is no gap :)
  • supersonic
    But if the BB height is optimised for the higher travel...
  • SDK2007
    It's probably worth a test ride to feel the difference.
    My guess is there is not a large enough gap between the Epic and Stumpy to warrant another model.

There is always the cheaper FSRxc if you really need 120mm travel etc etc...
  • supersonic
    True. But cynical old me just thinks it is a more is better stunt lol.
  • When are the new model year bikes typically launched?

I'm looking to purchase soon but may hang on if the 2010 models are imminent.
    Trek Fuel EX 8 '09
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    supersonic wrote:
    They have dropped the angles too. So the Stumpy, which was a fast and nippy trail machine with shortish travel is not now, and seems titled towrds pointing down and more stability.

There is a hole in the range I think.

im under the impression that the fsr xc will fill in the 120mm role and will basically be the new stumpjumper, the 140mm trail bike should have been given another name. i completely agree, the extra travel is keeping up with the idea that mroe travel = better.

thing about extra travel is that for the most part, you loose a bit of efficiency compared to a shorter travel bike and the best thing about the stumpy in my opinion is that it is incredibly efficient whilst being well and adequately sprung enough to perform brilliantly in most trail riding situations.

if spesh have managed to keep the characteristics and handling of the last couple of stumpys, they will have done a good thing with the new 140mm version.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    What annoys me is that the Stumpjumper name is being kept fot both the FSR and the HT, despite the two becoming increasingly different.

Will you be gunning for another Stumpy in a few months then Sheeps? You must have pretty much had one of each year from the past 5 years!
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Anonymous
    im gonna be honest, it is such a good looking thing that i would be sorely tempted but i cant see the need for a 140mm bike (mainly cause i have a perfectly awesome 150mm bike)

for me, 140mm bikes should be pretty burly and designed for gravity type riding, normal bike riding should be done on a 120mm bike. (for me)

my current stumpy is lovely, weighs under 27lbs, is very efficient and covers rough ground really well. i cant think of anything i would like to replace it with. ive got an 05 and an 09 version and i have had 2 different 07 models, the current one fels like the 07 verisons to be honest but i think it has the better looking frameset.

the new enduro however, now thats an ace looking bit of kit but again, i like my current one so much that it would be hard to try and think of something i would prefer.
  • BlackSpur
    im gonna be honest, it is such a good looking thing that i would be sorely tempted but i cant see the need for a 140mm bike (mainly cause i have a perfectly awesome 150mm bike)

for me, 140mm bikes should be pretty burly and designed for gravity type riding, normal bike riding should be done on a 120mm bike. (for me)

I disagree. I think the modern trend is to give bikes more travel but not necessarily more strength or weight - the intended purpose stays the same but the bike has a bit more "in reserve" for occasional situations. As I see it, Spesh has done what Scott did with the Genius. Despite having extra travel, the Genius is still an XC/Trail/Marathon bike, and the same applies to the Stumpy - it is still an XC/Trail bike and still more closely comparable to, say, the FSR XC than it is to the 08 Enduro.
    With manufacturers changing things even more, I think that the labels and expectations we have until now loosely associated to particular travel catergories mean less than they ever have done.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    edited July 2009
    lawman wrote:

How do you figure that? The missus £1900 Stumpjumper is about 4.5lbs lighter than my £1900 Meta and it's got heavier wheels, cassette and finishing kit, both using 140mm forks, both trail bikes. Spesh do some amazingly light frames.

You're just attempting to be non-conformist.. by conforming to what the magazines say is cool this season.
  • HardrockRob
    HardrockRob Posts: 230
    I am surprised no one has mentioned the price increases brought in under the guise of the new bike. A grand for the top S-Works Carbon at one end, and £1,800 for the "entry level" comp. Will the S-works Carbon be £1,000 better...?

As said before, I had my budget limit of £1500 for bike - with a bit of haggling that put the Comp within reach. Would not have been with the new prices.
    2015 Nukeproof Mega TR 275 in raw
  • Anonymous
    BlackSpur wrote:

I disagree. I think the modern trend is to give bikes more travel but not necessarily more strength or weight - the intended purpose stays the same but the bike has a bit more "in reserve" for occasional situations.

i know this and understand what is being done, i just dont see the point of having long travel with no extra strength. in my opinion, if you find yourself in the position where you need more travel, it makes sense to have a bike designed to carry the travel, ie heavier and tougher bike.

i am of the same opinion with the genius range of bikes too.

the main reason i dont see the actual point is that longer travel bikes tend to be less efficient compared to a shorter travel version of the same bike and if it isnt built tough enough to be used like a proper 140mm bike, why bother taking the reducd efficiency with it?
  • Anonymous
    Toasty wrote:

How do you figure that? The missus £1900 Stumpjumper is about 4.5lbs heavier than my £1900 Meta and it's got heavier wheels, cassette and finishing kit, both using 140mm forks, both trail bikes. Spesh do some amazingly light frames.

how much does the stumpy weigh and how heavy is the meta?
  • SDK2007
    I am surprised no one has mentioned the price increases brought in under the guise of the new bike. A grand for the top S-Works Carbon at one end, and £1,800 for the "entry level" comp. Will the S-works Carbon be £1,000 better...?
    The S-Works models have full SRAM XX gear which is significantly more expensive than XTR or X0 stuff.

Other price increases are due to the currency conversion and material costs going up.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    BlackSpur wrote:

I disagree. I think the modern trend is to give bikes more travel but not necessarily more strength or weight - the intended purpose stays the same but the bike has a bit more "in reserve" for occasional situations.

i know this and understand what is being done, i just dont see the point of having long travel with no extra strength. in my opinion, if you find yourself in the position where you need more travel, it makes sense to have a bike designed to carry the travel, ie heavier and tougher bike.

Isn't this a dumbing down of mountain biking? You started on 100mm and learnt to ride hard and fast. Then they said, take 120mm because it will take the sting out of the bigger hits so you can ride a bit sloppier. Then they say, take a 140mm bike because it's more comfortable... But hang on, you were riding the same stuff on 100mm all those years ago but now you can just blow through the trail with no prowess - you don't need the strength, you still use it all the available travel, you just become lazy over where you ride.
  • BlackSpur
    the main reason i dont see the actual point is that longer travel bikes tend to be less efficient compared to a shorter travel version of the same bike and if it isnt built tough enough to be used like a proper 140mm bike, why bother taking the reducd efficiency with it?

Ah but I think that's the point - The efficiency is not being reduced in these cases. It certainly hasn't been with the Genius and having read about the new shock/brain it would seem that this is also the case with the Stumpy.
  • Anonymous
    if it is the case that we can have more travel, less weight with outstanding eficiency then i take it back, its a good thing.

if only we could do something about the whole cost subject, everything would be rosie!!