Cliquey clubs, a sad story of mass sulking.

Comments

• Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    JLM74 - haha!

Jezmo, I think you need to take your club ride with a pinch of salt. Everyone has different training priorities, and so some won't want to put in 100% training efforts if they have just raced / are about to race. And no, they might not tell you (shock!! :shock: ) as they may not want to, can't be arsed to, or simply don't want you there.

If your previous club is more of a TT club, or even just an amble-round-the-countryside club, then obviously you have joined the wrong club for your needs. There may be a few 'racing snakes' there, but again, it probably doesn't mean they want to race and train with you.

No offence mate, if you don't ask you don't get, and all that jazz, but try to remember if someone doesn't want to do something, there's probably not alot you can do about it.

Good luck with your next club, and your racing and all, just don't complain if they have different priorities and / or a different 'direction' than you!

:D
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    I've never done any road racing 'cos I know I'm not good enough and I'd end up making myself look a t*t. But I have done a ten in under 25 (not a flat course either). I'm just commenting on the observation made by Memberofcyclingclub's 2nd post.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    TBH if you can do a sub 25 10 then you probaby are fit enough to race.
    So long as you remember to not do the classic TT novice and sit on the front and wonder why no-one is doing any work... :)
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • Wogan
    Wogan Posts: 203
    Infamous wrote:
    can anyone else feel the sexual tension between the 2 protagonists?
    Time to get this out again:

this-thread-is-gay1.jpg
    <font>Hemingway Soapbags</font>
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    The OP did the right thing by leaving and joining another club. As Alex Baldwin's character said in Glengarry Glen Ross: if you don't like it, leave!
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    Does the OP actually exist? How is it that he and 'MemberofCyclingClub' both join up the same day when the OP hasn't even named or identified the club?
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    There are cycling clubs are very cliquey, with divisions between those who concentrate on road or TT. Even within these groups, there are sub-groups of friends who train together, and it's hard for newcomers to feel welcome. When the racing season is in full swing, the club runs dry up, leaving nothing organised for beginers to be involved in. There maybe several rides that happen on an adhoc basis, but trying to get anyone to invite newcomers out with them is like getting blood out of the proverbial stone.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    thelawnet wrote:
    Does the OP actually exist? How is it that he and 'MemberofCyclingClub' both join up the same day when the OP hasn't even named or identified the club?

puppets.png
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    He's not the messiah. He's a very naughty boy
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    Brilliant time to post this...

jackopopcorn.gif
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    This is all very exciting, an unknown club being slagged off by a bloke who can't do a 30 minute 10TT. Quality, so many questions:

Do these club/teams really exist?

How much riding does the OP do?

Is this like a poor imitation of LA on twitter?
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    i think the TT club would Farnborough &CamberleyCC in hampshire, as for any race teams in the area i can only think of Felt racing who are mostly E\1. There are a few more clubs in the area that concerntrate on racing rather than TT

Why join a swingers club when all you want to do is spend the day knocking one out in the closet :?
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    I've finally joined a local club after putting it off for a number of years. Have been out twice so far on sunday rides. They seem to be a pretty good bunch of guys and gals. The rides are about 60 miles and there are fast, med and slower paced groups. I started slow a few weeks ago but this weekend rode the 2nd half home run with the fast guys as I wanted to get back quickly as I have an hours ride on top to get home and didn't fancy getting soaked or struck by lightening. Before we set off I was a bit anxious as to how fast they would go and I guess they were a bit anxious as well having this unkown quantity tag along and probably reluctant to have me along because of this. But once we got going they seemed a friendly bunch, although not a huge amount of talking as I figured riding took precedence over chat. If you wanted a chat why not just sit in a cafe watching cycling on Eurosport :D . Anyway two guys got dropped before me and I managed to hang in for a bit to share the work eventually being dropped in the final 3 or 4 miles of ride when they laid the hammer down and I got dropped. But no hard feelings as I'm still in awe of riders who can sustain that level of max output and confirms my opinion that pros are super human :wink: . Even though I was cream crackered I enjoyed it rolling in at a sedate 21/22mph. After the guys were very generous with their comments. It was good and I am grateful for them putting up with me as I appreciate an unknown newby could potentially cause a lot of probs in a group.

There appear to be a wide range of riders in the club all with different abilities and aspirations for their cycling. Getting on with people is fundamental whether you are a newby or an experienced road racer or TT rider. Being friendly and approachable is easier than ruffling feathers and getting peoples' backs up IMHO.

I think the OP has a few issues. What ever club, group, team or employer you join it's better not to try to stir people up soon after joining or slag them off. If things don't look like they are working out then recognise this and move on. Try and learn why they did not so hopefully your judgement will be better next time so even if you remain or leave it is on good terms. You never know you might want to go back! Also word tends to get around and some peoples' reputations can preceed them which can be good or bad :wink: .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Homer J wrote:
    Why join a swingers club when all you want to do is spend the day knocking one out in the closet :?

:lol:
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Noooo unfortunatly at the club I used to be with until I got tired of people not being willing to communicate their problems, even the wonderful Mr 18 says that his brother has problems and goes a bit strange if anyone gives him any stick even in a friendly banter kind of way.Part of the problem being some people taking it all far too seriously and friendly banter goes whoosh straight over thier heads.
    maybe its a cultural thing i dunno.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Now's the time to delete your profile, come back as someone new and never mention this again to a living soul.

Or you could just carry on - most entertaining thread for ages.
  • Naz
    Naz Posts: 353
    Jezmo

Maybe it was your grammar that held you back in your attempts to communicate, it is terrible.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Got my laptop back from repair today after over a week of waiting. This thread, if true, is quite something!
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    Jezmo wrote:
    Noooo unfortunatly at the club I used to be with until I got tired of people not being willing to communicate their problems, .

Who are you? Doctor Phil?
  • Ida
    Ida Posts: 7
    thanks for the entertainment guys....

Jezmo - have you ever considered mountain biking instead?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Are we sure this isn't a wind up? This Jezmo guy sounds like a right knob

I've clearly not been paying attention this stuff is fucking gold dust :lol:

Go Jezmo Go! :P
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Giant Jon
    Giant Jon Posts: 49
    Who needs Jeremy Kyle!!!

Seriously though guys, grow up. If you don't like the club, don't go. Don't sit whinging on here like some school kid whining about how somebody or other threw a pencil at you.

As for the guy who is defending the club, why bother? Nobody knows what club it is, why stoop to the OP's level?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Jezmo, hee hee.

Are you related to Bhima ?
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    WTF... This thread has been dead for almost a year... Why bring it back up, now?
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Giant Jon
    Giant Jon Posts: 49
    ha ha, didn't spot the date :lol:
  • itboffin
    hopper1 wrote:
    WTF... This thread has been dead for almost a year... Why bring it back up, now?

Why not ?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    hopper1 wrote:

I hope an exhumation certificate was applied for.

Actually good idea for a new thread called "Threads you thought were dead and gone" and then pluck a fave from the archive. :)
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • brakelever
    brakelever Posts: 158
    has april fools day been extended ? :roll:
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    itboffin wrote:
    hopper1 wrote:

Why not ?

because you had nothing worthwhile to add. Jezmo has been through many more identities since this thread - are you going to dig them all up..?
  • itboffin
    softlad wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    hopper1 wrote:

Why not ?

because you had nothing worthwhile to add. Jezmo has been through many more identities since this thread - are you going to dig them all up..?

Tough day at work? :P