Who really wants a PS3 Mountain bike game!!

Comments

• _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    Have you played a Wii?
    fun for about 20mins. 40min if you are a small child or a girl.
    I have a mate who rides his crosstrainer infront of MTB videos sometimes and claims that it is fun - but that's more about fitness that trying to re-create the feeling of flying down a hill.
    Can you imagine the apparatus you would need to re-create a proper DH coarse? You would need a bike that you could tilt over completely, rock forwards and backward and give you some form of force feedback, like a giant dualshock. and it would have to have brakes and gear shifting too! It probably wouldn't be cheap.
    For the money you would need you could pay for a trip to Portes du Solei or buy a new bike...
    Not really active
  • Mr Wu
    Mr Wu Posts: 1,238
    Wii fun for 20 mins = No mates

Wii fun for ages = loadsa mates and beers!
  • _Ferret_
    Mrs Toast has already made my point.

If I play games nowadays I expect something a little exceptional - the bar for gaming has been raised so much recently and with the exception of a few Wii games (Mario galaxy to name one) the Wii is really only a novelty toy.
    As Mrs Toast wrote - an experience worthy of a bikers time would cost about 6000 quid!
    A bike game on a Wii similar device with todays consumer budget would only be fun for people who had no idea about biking. (the same people who bought the Wii board probably)
    I like the idea - but at the moment technology needs to catch up to offer a better experience...
    Not really active
  • RossOB
    RossOB Posts: 82
    I am not sure if you quite understand _Ferret_.......it wouldn't need "apparatus" LOL

Did you know that they make chess games...now I think I am quite capable of doing that in real life but yet they still make the games, maybe because people enjoy the one on one competition and thrill of Eg. mountain bike racing (can't do that everyday can you?), REMEMBER- Online play exists now!

There are some things that consoles offer that real life can't, and you said it yourself "you'd go a bit quicker", EXACTLY!
    Anyway, not everybody gets to ride a downhill circuit that the pros do, and it would also encourage more people to get in to mountain biking and Boost the sport.
    Giant trance x3
  • nfrang
    nfrang Posts: 250
    Something with a game/control style like Skate2 could work well...probably.
    And i would hope most new games would run into a couple of £100k to develop never mind 6 but thats for the developer to pick up...i'd pay the £35 for the PS3 disc!
  • Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    nfrang wrote:
    Something with a game/control style like Skate2 could work well...probably.
    And i would hope most new games would run into a couple of £100k to develop never mind 6 but thats for the developer to pick up...i'd pay the £35 for the PS3 disc!

If you're talking AAA titles for the 360/PS3 that really push the technology and have more than 6 month's dev time, try subsituting "couple of £100k" for at least "couple of million". It's why publishers tend to favour licenses and sequels, less of a risky prospect. ;)
  • whalley665
    whalley665 Posts: 150
    The best mountain bike console game has got to be: No Fear Downhill Mountain Biking on PS1
    92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig.
  • deadliest
    deadliest Posts: 471
    I love the idea but in this current financial climate I cant really see anyone taking a gamble on a MTB game even with a UCI License with all the top names ( Which frankly are only top names to some of us ) Ask at work whether anyone knows what Sam Hill or Greg Minaar do and look at there reaction.
    Bikes are drugs and Im pedalling

http://sherwoodpines.yolasite.com/
  • Mrs Toast
    deadliest wrote:
    I love the idea but in this current financial climate I cant really see anyone taking a gamble on a MTB game even with a UCI License with all the top names ( Which frankly are only top names to some of us ) Ask at work whether anyone knows what Sam Hill or Greg Minaar do and look at there reaction.

Ah, that was probably the case with Dave Mirra and Tony Hawk too though! ;) Although the actual sports of BMXing and skateboarding are probably more familiar and visually appealing to the mainstream though, same way you get loads of people who aren't into biking gasping at Danny McAskill.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    edited June 2009
    if a load of us offered to help develop the game and get some pro involvement, posibly even some sponsorship from the likes of sram, who seem to have money coming out their ears, im sure we could persuade a company to take a risk, cos lets behonest, thats all osme games are, and if u moan about "oh well id rather ride my bike", i bet quite a few on here have played guitar hero and/or rockband at some point ........ lazy gits :lol:

i agree with RossOB, it would be awesome to have a realistic avatar of yourself, racing the likes of peaty, minaar, hill or sending down a double flipwhip to make lance mcdermott look like a right wally
  • RossOB
    Mrs toast
    BMX and skateboarding would never have been as BIG as it is now if games had't been made of them.

Tony Hawks was the first "virtual" guy that everyone kinda knew, so why can't biking do the same with Gee Atherton and people like that, they are cool enough!

This would sponsor mountain biking and i think its the best time because people in the current economic climate are looking to buy bikes instead of cars, then seeing more pros in action would make them think,,, "HUh, riding a bike can be more fun than just riding to work!"

I don't see why it wouldn't be a success.............
    Giant trance x3
  • goughie
    goughie Posts: 6
    HELLO
  • Aldo001
    Aldo001 Posts: 251
    LADS!!!
    The only proper console MTBing game was quite clearly No Fear Downhill Mountainbiking!
    I still play it occasionally to be honest 8)
    The PS2 MTBing games were terrible
  • Aldo001
    RossOB wrote:
    Mrs toast
    BMX and skateboarding would never have been as BIG as it is now if games had't been made of them.

WHAT!!! :roll:
    I find it hilarious that you think that
    For example, skateboarding was HUGE in like 70s/80s, which is something like 15 years before the PSX came out, and the first Tony ?Hawk game was out in '99
    So yeah I'm suuuure the games made skateboarding massive...
  • Mrs Toast
    Aldo001 wrote:
    RossOB wrote:
    Mrs toast

For example, skateboarding was HUGE in like 70s/80s, which is something like 15 years before the PSX came out, and the first Tony ?Hawk game was out in '99

Well, I thought that too, didn't want to say it in case I started showing my age... :lol:
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    I'd rather go out and ride my bike!

Driving simulaters let you race around a circuit, which unfortunatly I can't do in real life..
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Aldo001
    Mrs Toast wrote:
    Aldo001 wrote:
    RossOB wrote:
    Mrs toast

Well, I thought that too, didn't want to say it in case I started showing my age... :lol:

:lol:
    I'm 15... :shock:
  • swampi101
    swampi101 Posts: 210
    Aldo001 wrote:
    The PS2 MTBing games were terrible

Downhill Domination was good!

up until the point where you manage to hit 300ft jumps.. and going 100mph through reaaally technical sections...

yea they were crap.
  • RossOB
    Ok well sorry that i am not not an oldy! or a really weird 15 year old that knows the history of skateboarding, are you taking a GCSE in that by any chance Aldo001??

Basics guys, face it a MTB game is gonna happen and you ARE gonna like it! OK!
    Giant trance x3
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    yeah i'd go for that,,, using the new hand held tech they have would be good, perhaps link it to a bike, ,but that would be expensive, similar to the games they have in arcades (p.s I am a gamer and MTber with a PS3).

I would go for a decent MTB game totally...a downhill one would be the way to go...
    if you need a fix have you tried PURE? there is a new one out soon, can't remember what it's called but it uses a better physics engine.. motor X stuff. etc..
  • JimPov
    JimPov Posts: 109
    downhill domination is a cool game which me and friends always play as you can do 4 player
    you can pick it up in GAME for a tenner !
    Its the best mtb game out there
    and ive had mine since ps2 days and now play it on the ps3
    loads of fun
  • stunter ant
    stunter ant Posts: 213
    jpstar wrote:
    anyone heard of Downhill domination? Its on the PS2, its not that fantastic buts its ok, and the bikes are realistic (ish) lol

I got my old ps2 out just to play this the other week. Big hit with Super t's on it and went n hucked some 3000ft monster drops...sweeeet

As for a new game,is there a big enough market for a downhill game??!! I dont think it is imo

Does anyone remember No Fear Downhill Mountain Biking on the PS1??? Now that was rubbish and still i played it for hours :lol:
    80 x 80 is not enough pixels!!!!

http://www.monzaautomotive.com/

My bikes and a few riding pics http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12673633
  • lawman
    yer i do rember it lol

i think there is demand and anyway tyhere was no demand for a sakteboard game before the original tony hawk and now theyre ever where

all we need is a great game, with bike and character customisation, online play and downloadalble content and we have a winner that will create demand. it just needs the right stuff and the right marketing campaign. i do media studies at college and having looked at the advertising for downhill domination, other than mbuk and mbr, there was literally no other marketing so the audience was very limited. get some money behind it and it will take off and in a few years we'll all be wondering why we doubted it in the first place

come on the appeal of kicking sam hills virtual ass must be awesome
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    lawman wrote:
    downhill domination, other than mbuk and mbr, there was literally no other marketing so the audience was very limited. get some money behind it and it will take off and in a few years we'll all be wondering why we doubted it in the first place

come on the appeal of kicking sam hills virtual ass must be awesome

I actually work in the I.T industry (not gaming) and what you have described there is basically the curve from going concept, to pioneers and visonaries to the pragmatics and the followers....its tricky, not only to rock a rhyme that's right on time, but to also get the pragmatics and followers on board, especially with investors...which is a pity, but the rare gems do get through sometimes.
  • lawman
    yer i agree

if we could get some investment from inside the industry, rather outside, then a game could be feasable. i mean sram are constantly doin for charity like the bike africa thing and i think htta they could back the project, get some seruious dosh out of it, then the food gates would open for others to follow. its like fishing, wait for a bite then the fish really start to come. that bit makes little sense but you get the idea. i seriously think that there is a gap in the market and it needs to be filled.
  • _Ferret_
    You would need a lot of backing.
    An A class PS3 game costs serious bucks. They have million dollar budgets, can't see anyone forking out that much for a game that has no big market.
    It's more possible you'll get a game for the DS or the iPhone - development costs are lower and the casual gaming demographic, which it is aimed at, might pick it up better.
    Not really active
  • lawman
    tbh i think a mtb game on mobile or ds would be crap

seriously i think a decent game could only be achieved on ps3 or xbox

mobiles, ds's and wii's just dont have the graphic capability to make it really worthwhile and prevent boredom after about 2 seconds ....... a phone game would only be as good as the crappy internet games we all despise and i cant see how a ds or wii game would work

i know that it would take serious dosh to make this game but come on if it was available worldwide and there are actually hundreds of thousands of mtbers and i would say that atleast half that number would be intersted in the game, and thats before you include newbies and normal gamers that might be interested in it and the numbers kinda add up to a sucessful game and a great time to be had by all
  • Si78
    Si78 Posts: 963
    RossOB wrote:
    Tony Hawks was the first "virtual" guy that everyone kinda knew

Who???? lol

What about Daley Thompson? ... I remember playing Daley Thompson's Decathlon when I was about 6, on the Amstrad!

IMO, an MTB game would need some form of motion sensing control, so you would actually have to balance and lean to turn etc would be good when that motion sensing thing comes out for the ps3.

Still prefer to ride my bike for real though!

I only play Formula 1 games cos I dont have access to a real formula 1 car....

Si
    Why has my sig been removed by the admins???
  • Aldo001
    RossOB wrote:
    Ok well sorry that i am not not an oldy! or a really weird 15 year old that knows the history of skateboarding, are you taking a GCSE in that by any chance Aldo001??

Basics guys, face it a MTB game is gonna happen and you ARE gonna like it! OK!

No, I'm in Scotland... Standard grades FTW :lol:
    But seriously, I just like skateboarding, my friends introduced me to it and I read Sidewalk (skateboarding magazine). Its called taking an interest. Try it some time :wink:
  • abigali
    abigali Posts: 1
    Whats the difference between Smackdown vs Raw 08 on PS2 and PS3?
    I have a ps3 and I was thinking about buying Smackdown vs. Raw 08. But the PS2 version is cheaper than the PS3 version... So what is the difference between the tow and what one should I buy and why?