• Mr Wu
    Mr Wu Posts: 1,238
    Can we lock this topic now please? !

:-)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
  • Mr Wu
    I know! and its taught me a very precious lesson! :-)

Did you see up the thread that i opted for a Prophet in the end.
  • supersonic
  • realnumber 1
    realnumber 1 Posts: 675
    Yeah not a bad choice, I'm sure you will enjoy it.
  • Mr Wu
    Hopefully, to be honest im not sure its going to turn up. I know theyve been sold out most places for a while now. . .

Just i found somewhere that had one in XL on their website, so ordered it over the phone, very helpful bloke said that they did have one left, so paid a deposit on it.... but from previous experience of ordering things im awaiting the email saying "sorry we actually dont have one in stock" so may need this topic starting up again ;-)

The way that I saw it in the end was, ive already got a hard tail, so a FS would be a common sense thing to invest in even if to try (as im sure ill get my money back in a month or so if i dont like it) I seriously thought about the Orange 5 but couldnt justify my skill x cost of bike (im the same with my guitars) Then this morning i was set on buying a Giant....till i sat on one. Just hope the one (Prophet) ive decided one actually turns exists!!
    it doesnt come with pedals,

So my next new thread will be Flats or SPD's? Discuss....

HA! only joking! I myself am an SPD man.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    The Prophet is a nice bike :lol:

To me an MTB is about adventure and FS has too many extra parts (and weight) that can break down. A mate has an Epic - his rear shock went halfway through a long ride and he had a very uncomfortable trip back. I've also never found a FS bike that feels truly efficient.

If I ever got one, it would be the latest Epic or Scott Spark - XC orientated machines.

FS bikes are clearly needed for DH type riding - which I'm not into. Like going downhill, but also like climbing. And if it gets really "gnarly" I usually just get off and walk... :oops: :lol::lol:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Would you buy a car without suspension?
    And how would it handle if you did, not very well.

No offence, but what a completely spurious argument :lol: Here's another one:

Would you buy a car without an engine? No? Then why do you own a bike without an engine?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • JK in the UK
    JK in the UK Posts: 132
    Northwind wrote:
    Would you buy a car without suspension?
    And how would it handle if you did, not very well.

No offence, but what a completely spurious argument :lol: Here's another one:

Would you buy a car without an engine? No? Then why do you own a bike without an engine?

:lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for the morning laughs!
  • No offence taken. The point I was making is a valid one, only you have take it one step too far.

If someone wants to ride on smoother less demanding trails then yes why not stick to hard tail. Nothing wrong with that. at all, I own a HT and a FS.

I was making the point that on really rough ground a FS bike would be faster than a
    hardtail. Can't see the point riding a hardtail and shaking your body to pieces.
    Same principle as a rally car or motorcross bike, you dont see a motorcrosser with no suspension on the rear do you?

Some people do buy cars with out engines.

Did you never own a car with pedals when you were younger? You missed out.
    Try and be funnier next time Southbreeze, I mean Northwind. ;-)
  • supersonic
    Could be faster. I would say.
  • Yes you are right there Super.

Could be faster depending on the rider...
  • Northwind
    No offence taken. The point I was making is a valid one, only you have take it one step too far.

I was making the point that on really rough ground a FS bike would be faster than a
    hardtail.

Yup, but the point I'm making is that a dirtbike would most likely be faster still, not to mention easier on the old legs. Or, to come at it a different way, the point is that it's not a race, and faster isn't automatically better. I'm faster on a full suss, but I laugh less.

As a cyclist, you're voluntarily foregoing motor power, because you prefer to pedal. As a hardtail rider, some of us forego rear suspension for the same reason- it's less about the machine, and more about the rider. You've bought a bike with no engine, which is obviously daft, just that I've bought a bike with no engine AND no rear suspension.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • You do seem to be fixated on the asumption I prefer engine power, and I don't. I
    was making a comparison which you are finding hard to grasp, and that my post was not intended as an argument which you seem to want to turn it into. Who ever mentioned buying a bike with an engine in it?

As with (dare I mention it motor powered bikes) their technology and suspension is improving all the time and those principle can now be seen in mountain bikes. Its progress. ;-)

I am not anti hardtail at all. I love mine. It is less about the bike and more the rider, and yes its not a race unless you like racing. My other point was you could ride for longer in more comfort.

So after all that you agree that if two riders of equal fitness and skill rode the same rough trail on a HT and a FS the FS would be faster (even though it is not race).

I personally laugh more on my FS whilst on the ride and afterwards as I prefer to sit down in comfort at home. ;-)
  • Northwind
    You do seem to be fixated on the asumption I prefer engine power, and I don't. I was making a comparison which you are finding hard to grasp,

No, I don't think you prefer engine power, I think it's you who's finding my comparison hard to grasp maybe... You're being too literal. What I'm getting at here is that we've all decided to use a more primitive tool when there's a more advanced and arguably more suitable one available, because it's more fun.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • No not at all, I see the comparison you are trying to make.

Lets just say you laugh more on your primitive HT and I laugh more on my slightly less primitive FS ;-)
  • Northwind
    That's it exactly!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Shorty12
    Shorty12 Posts: 478
    Basically depends on rider skill and the type of terrain you ride and the amount of fun you want.
  • fcumok
    fcumok Posts: 283
    I went out on my FS for the first time in ages tonight. To start with I didn't enjoy it but when I changed my riding style it was just as much fun. It's a different kind of ride, I can go faster on a FS and I don't tire as quickly but my HT eats up climbs and is a bit more enjoyable over the rough stuff. You'll just have to buy both :D