Are FS bike really needed for riding

Comments

• Mr Wu
    Mr Wu Posts: 1,238
    Right the things to consider are,

Im a big man, 6'4" and im heavy but not fat, 18stone.

Most of my current riding is XC, I do ride quite hard, fast and aggressive. I dont hang about when im riding, BUT. . . My technical skills arent brilliant and i want to improve them.

In reality I will be riding most week days after work 3/4 times a week, then once at the weekend which will probably be at a purpose built centre, sherwood pines and cannok are closest to me, ive not been to either yet, and I will be in and around wales quite a bit soon too, so anything up there.

I would ideally like something that is strong and fill me with confidence and relative safety if that makes sense. I dont like the feeling of "thats gonna go in a minute" sort of thing.

So far the bikes ive considered buying are

Orange Crush
    Orane P7 Pro

Orange 5am or pro.
    GT force (not sure which)
    Cannondale Prophet 1 or 2
    Possibly a Yeti 575...

The Yeti and 5's are probably better than my riding will ever be, but if they are likely to help then i have no probs in spending the money on them if that makes sense?!

Does that help any?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I feel a 6 inch full susser will be overkill. Still, as above, if can test, be worth it.
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    Forget "better than my riding will ever be". If you can afford something don't feel bad for enjoying it. The Yeti is however into another price class where you'll find a whole bunch of excellent bikes that aren't on your initial list. Like those on my list.
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    Incidentally a colleague of mine has just bough a Yeti 575 and I will be testing it extensively.
  • Mr Wu
    Mickey Eye wrote:
    Forget "better than my riding will ever be". If you can afford something don't feel bad for enjoying it. The Yeti is however into another price class where you'll find a whole bunch of excellent bikes that aren't on your initial list. Like those on my list.

Yeah I know what you mean, I do want a bike that i will enjoy thats why the cost (to a point) doesnt bother me, just dont wanna look like a prize winning nob for having an ace bike but not utilizing it, I just think you get what you pay for and if anything if ive spent alot of money on a bike then i will be more likely to get out on it more.
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    i would doffo go with a full sus then.

i have a yeti 575 and can honestly say its unlike any bike ive ridden before does everything superbly.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s320 ... to0054.jpg

if you can afford it buy one, you will be addicted.
  • supersonic
    If considering a short travel FS like the ST4, take a look at this:

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... Suspension

Hell of a spec for the money, and about 25lbs in weight.
  • supersonic
    Good value, but a lot of bike there - won't be light (has a DH shock!)

If that is what you want though.
  • Mr Wu
    I dont mind it not being light as i feel more comfortable on a slightly heavier bike.

I didnt think that was a bad spec for the price?
  • teacherman
    teacherman Posts: 454
    Ratty2k has a similar Giant with a coil shock and Lyrics - he rides that all day - about 30lbs -ish, climbs well, descends better! I think they're a great bikefor the money.
    I hate it when people say David Beckham's stupid...its not like anyone ever says: 'Stephen Hawking - he's s**t at football.' Paul Calf
  • supersonic
    I suppose fitness, strength and stamina will vary from person to person, but I find 30lbs just a bit too much to haul around over long distances (even when I was really fit I really loved the lighter weight stuff a as personally I found it easier to ride for further and longer, even on moderate terrain).

But that is just me!
  • supersonic
    That's almost a DH bike! Must be nearly 40lbs of bike there.
  • Mr Wu
    True. True...

Theres a LBS here that stocks Giants so i think ill pop down tomorrow and see what they got in.

Do you think I Trance would be more suitable?
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    edited May 2009
    i used to have a giant reign. very good bike very plush but not a stand up and hemmer the pedals sort of bike more of a sit n spin, but does climb very well with no bob ect.

the trance is the same bike but you get the extra 2" travel on the reign from a diffrent rocker ratio.
    obviously the 6" travel bike is going to be taller so prob not as snappy.

id say 4" travel of the trance is plenty for xc and trails ect.
  • realnumber 1
    realnumber 1 Posts: 675
    supersonic wrote:
    I suppose fitness, strength and stamina will vary from person to person, but I find 30lbs just a bit too much to haul around over long distances (even when I was really fit I really loved the lighter weight stuff a as personally I found it easier to ride for further and longer, even on moderate terrain).

But that is just me!

But at the same time a 30lb bike wouldn't feel any worse to a 18 stone person than my 28lb bike would be to me at 10st I would have thought?
  • Mr Wu
    Was it heavy? Im not too arsed about weight to be honest but dont want something that weighs the same as me!
  • Mr Wu
    supersonic wrote:

But that is just me!

But at the same time a 30lb bike wouldn't feel any worse to a 18 stone person than my 28lb bike would be to me at 10st I would have thought?

You put that much better than i was about to! Thats what i mean about weight not bothering me, like i said im a big tall well built bloke, so im not too bothered if its a little heavier than normal as my size will equal it out, i think thats what i was trying to get accross in my other post, a light bike doesnt feel all that safe to me eg if i should happen to take off i want something that feels like it can take it without buckling/breaking bits/.frame etc.
  • supersonic
    supersonic wrote:

But that is just me!

It varies for everyone! Weight off the bike seems to be far more noticable.
  • Mr Wu
    Also, would I benifit a 6" travel because of my weight what with rider sag etc?

The rockshoxs on my Evo are pumped right upto about 140psi because of this
  • supersonic
    Not really. Sag should be set as a percentage of the travel. Of course it will mean more travel will be softer for a given percentage.

DHers often run more %age sag though.

If you are happy with a heavier bike, and a lot of travel then it is the right choice. It wouldn't be my choice for what you describe, but if we were all the same the world would be aboring place ;-)
  • Mr Wu
    I think the best thing i can do is go and try them at my lbs. Will pop down tomorrow and see whats what. Will keep you posted!.
  • supersonic
    Good stuff! Keep an open mind, try a few things out.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    How about an OnOne 456 with adjustable travel fork. While it's not full sus it looks like a lot of fun and I would imagine more than adequate for the riding you describe. Good price too.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    supersonic wrote:

But that is just me!

It's definitely a person to person thing, it depends where and what you ride as well. Sitting and spinning is far less intensive, with a full sus you can spend more time in the saddle which does a lot towards balancing it out. I'm not talking aggressively mashing down the trail, I'm talking the annoying rutted/rough ground that forces you out of the saddle on a hardtail.
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    Its all about personal preference and nothing else.
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Just thought I'd add my 2p's worth.

If you facny a full suss bike get one that is around 130/140mm or travel you don't really need much more for UK trail centres as I've discovered over the last 18 months.

Saying that you don't really need much more for most things (other than full on DH) you can find in the UK.

I've gone from a Specialized Pitch with Fox 36 Van's & DHX Air weighing in at 31.5lbs all up to a 130mm travel trail bike with RS Revs & Fox RP3 (a Nicolai Helius CC) and it'll handle anythign i've come across and then some, addedd bonus is it weighs just over 27lbs all in :D

Saying that I also have a 115mm travel HT, it's built kinda light, weighs 26lbs and other than black runs & big rocks it'll cover most thigns, not as fast DH as the FS rig but better on twisty natural/woody single track.
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    For most XC a FS bike is just a skills compensator it makes mer mortals quicker as you can make mistakes and get away with it.

This isn't entirely true and is a common misconception. Based on your statement, lets assume we're talking about descending only.

If you take a crap line full of rocks and square edged hits, the full susser may make it feel less painful and severe BUT the momentum of the wheels still gets interrupted and ultimately the bike gets slowed just as much.

A FS may make you less likely to crash and be more comfortable but it doesn't automatically make you faster. Fast riders are fast regardless of what they're on. I'd even be prepared to stick my neck out and say that geometry has more effect on actual speed ability than full suss - IE a super technical descent will be easier on a really slack hardtail than it would be on a steep full susser.