Etape Caledonia sabotaged

snowcycle
snowcycle Posts: 11
edited February 2012 in Sportives/audaxes/training rides
As someone who lives in Scotland, I can only apologise for this:

Very sorry, but some moron has sabotaged the Etape Caledonia, which raises money for Macmillan Cancer Support, by putting sharp tacks on the road.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/Etape_Caledonia_stopped_due_to_sabotage_article_282719.html.

Avoid Pitlochry for a holiday? No, cos it really is a nice place to visit. SO I suggest loads of cyclists go there this year, and show that it takes more than this to get us of our bikes.
Explore, Dream, Discover.

Comments

• dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    What moron(s) would do such a mean and dangerous thing?

Presumably all road traffic would be affected not just bicycles? Are the police going to nail the scrote(s) who did this?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • snowcycle
    As the roads are better known for their remoteness, and lovely views of Lochs and Mountains rather than CCTV, it might be a bit hard, but I presume they'll find out. How many uses can there be for a large number of sharp tacks?
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    Such a shame that Macmillan Cancer will suffer from this, I really hope the police catch the prat or prats that did this, I will be taking my bike up there when I go up in the summer this year definately to ride the course as my protest to them, like you snow cycle the more the merrier. I cant wait to find out who it was - he who laughs last and all that
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    How come the communities on the continent, many of which are just as remote and rely on the roads (look at the Maratona as a good parallel), can cope with the road closures ? Is this just a bad example of a load of numpty locals ?

Sorry, I'll stick to where no-one is trying to maim cyclists, cos that's what could have happened today. No-one will ever be caught for this.
  • bill57
    bill57 Posts: 454
    Just another example of the sickness that pervades society today. As Snowcycle says, makes you embarrassed to be Scottish.
  • snowcycle
    There's an organisation called ACRE who objected to the Event, so it shouldn't be too difficult to find out who did it.

http://www.commentonline.co.uk/general/ ... omACRE.htm

However, I calculate that having over 3,500 people at an event is likely to have a massive positive impact on the local economy, and not a negative one.
  • Marzipan
    Marzipan Posts: 4
    I've just been looking up the details of the race on the internet, and I just want to say, as a local from Pitlochry, that please don't assume that all locals see the road closures as a bad thing. I live in a remote part of Pitlochry, and my road was closed also, leaving me no way of getting in nor out. But I stayed in Pitlochry, so that I could get into my work at one of busiest hotels. We were hosting a lot of the bikers for the race, and its a sin that this has happened. I hope they do catch who has done this, but the rumors at the moment from the bikers themselves and the police, that it is possible it was actually a cyclist.

I just wanted to put in my point across as a local. But i hope that everyone does come back, because it would be very dissapointing if they didn't. I dont think people realise how big it is for the businesses in Pitlochry. Especially the hotels!
  • mattybeck
    mattybeck Posts: 135
    What a bawbag - I was up in Applecross for the Bealach Beag and the locals really embraced the event making for a lovely atmosphere.
  • aurelio_-_banned
    aurelio_-_banned Posts: 1,317
    edited May 2009
    Marzipan wrote:
    I hope they do catch who has done this, but the rumors at the moment from the bikers themselves and the police, that it is possible it was actually a cyclist.
    Of course, it all makes sense now, it was 'a cyclist' that was responsible! We mustn't let anyone get the idea that local nimby's might have had anything to do with it, must we? As the following 'advice' from the ACRE organisation notes, bicycles would be the ideal means of transport for those intent on protesting against the road closures simply because the closure notice naturally excludes bicycles. Having a bike does not 'a cyclist' make!

Protest Protocol: Advice from ACRE

ACRE, the Highland Perthsire group campaigning against the closure of roads for the Etape cycle race, has been contacted by a number of local people who are considering actively protesting their disapproval of the road closures during the race on 18 May. Although ACRE has no resources to collaborate as a body with such action, it nevertheless offers to peole so minded the following advice.

...You have an absolute right to pass and re-pass along the public highway. A road closure order must specify the class of traffic prohibited. In this case it is vehicular traffic, but cannot include bicycles, or the event could not take place.

See also:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scot ... 406553.stm

_44666094_peter_hounam_226282.jpg
    Local nimby.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    edited May 2009
    They've managed to close Manchester City for joggers today, and they closed Milan city centre for a procession of pro cyclists. So why are these miserable red necks in the middle of nowhere moaning?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    Feeble.
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    What is up with these miserable people.

If OUR capital city can cope with being shut down for the London Marathon and other events, surely villages can manage for 1 day a year.
  • aurelio_-_banned
    edited May 2009
    They've managed to close Manchester City for joggers today, and they closed Milan city centre for a procession of pro cyclists. So why are these miserable red necks in the middle of nowhere moaning?
    Perhaps the miserable weather and short days affects their pituitary glands or something!

I spent some time living up there in the days before bikes were given the right to cycle on off-road paths. The hassle I got on my MTB was astonishing. (Although driving a 4x4 along the same tracks seemed to be fine). One local farmer used to threaten everybody on a bike that he saw and even blasted one guy’s mountain bike with his shotgun!
  • snowcycle
    Local Nimby looked like he could do with a llittle exercise, as could the Church Minister who compained they couldn't use the car to drive 3 miles to their church!! Why not cycle there.

Anyway, my mate finished after the restart because they had to clear the road. And a further link from the BBC. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tay ... 054215.stm

"It was fortunate no-one was injured as a result of irresponsible behaviour. Uniformed and detective officers are carrying out inquiries in the area and are following a positive line of inquiry."
  • bazzargh
    bazzargh Posts: 45
    Local nimby.

That particular local nimby is Peter Hounam, ex-Sunday Times chief investigative journalist[1], and ACRE's spokesman, but I doubt we'll see much investigative journalism from him on this one. He's a business partner of Brendan Murphy (who runs 'commentonline', that local news site you linked to). ACRE's postal address is the same as that of commentonline.

At least I've got an answer now when drivers complain I don't have to deal with road tax...I'll get me coat

-Baz

[1] He also wrote 'Who Killed Diana'. Oh dear.
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    A shame that local people couldn't see how much their local economy must benefit from such tourism as a mass-cycling event. Its not just hotels, campsites and B&Bs either - think of all the pints sold the night before in t'local pubs and how many meals must have been sold by local take -aways, cafes, restaurants and pubs too. Italian towns and villages seem to revel in it when they are chosen for sportives to pass through and roads are always closed. Local businesses benefit and many actually make special event day promotions or novelty foods/drinks etc, and of course local people turn out to watch the event. Even after all our success as a nation with cycling at the Olympics, it seems that the cycling culture will just never really catch on in the UK.
  • aurelio_-_banned
    I know it's tempting to say 'The Nimby's won't stop me from riding', but I would be tempted to take my money somewhere where the locals are a bit more appreciative of cyclists (and not just for the money they spend...) perhaps riding one of the superb sportives in France instead. You know it makes sense!

Etape_2006_60_Near_the_Col_du_Lautaret_La_Meije_in_the_distance.jpg
  • Marzipan
    the road closures during the race on 18 May
    ?

There is no need to generalise. The locals of Pitlochry do appreciate the race. And as i said, my road was closed to, but we just accept it. I'm sure if the shoe was on the other foot you would see it as a slight inconvience not being able to leave your home or access your home.
  • snowcycle
    edited May 2009
    It is a beautiful part of Scotland, hardly any rain, and a great place, especially as we have the Outdoor Access Code, http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/default.asp, to go riding on or off road. You should try the route from Blair Atholl to Rothemurcus to Braemar to Blair Atholl.

And we're not all miserable either, great whisky and beer and deep fried Mar bars (oh and deep fried pizza!!).
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    Some of you guys need to look up Rule 5a on the Terms and Conditions (bottom right) pronto becuase I reckon you're well and truly in breach of it with these anti-Scottish comments.

This thread was suppose to be about the senseless sabotaging of the Etape Caledonia (by someone who might not even be Scottish, although more than likely fuelled or encouraged by this ACRE mob!). Instead one or two individuals appear to have taken is an opportunity to Scot-bash. Not on.
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    I rode the event both last year and in its first year. It is a great setting for a bike event and brought thousands of people and their expenditure to the Pitlochry area.

There is a well coordinated negative campaign that believes it does business a disservice though and compromises local movement and hence freedom.

This anti lobby now have in their midst or have attracted law breaking individuals who will attract a huge amount of news coverage and very negative publicity associated with Highland Perthshire.

Anyway they've got a reaction from me. I'm entering next year's event as soon as it opens.
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • snowcycle
    Marzipan wrote:
    the road closures during the race on 18 May
    ?

There is no need to generalise. The locals of Pitlochry do appreciate the race. And as i said, my road was closed to, but we just accept it. I'm sure if the shoe was on the other foot you would see it as a slight inconvience not being able to leave your home or access your home.

Really , they can't ride a bicycle 3 miles to the church? Would have been great to join in to the fun part of the event (not everyone was racing), and possibly sell local produce like cakes to cyclists as they pass by? Offer water to participants?

Surely less moaning and more taking part and encouraging the cyclists is a much better advert for the area, which has no trafiic anyway. I've been there, the roads are empty, even on a busy Sunday.
  • snowcycle
    pedylan wrote:
    This anti lobby now have in their midst or have attracted law breaking individuals who will attract a huge amount of news coverage and very negative publicity associated with Highland Perthshire.

Anyway they've got a reaction from me. I'm entering next year's event as soon as it opens.

Yup, me too, and I'm now going there on a cycling holiday this summer as well
  • MegaCycle
    MegaCycle Posts: 236
    Marzipan - don't worry. I certainly don't hold the view that most people in the area were against the Etape. I realise (as I sure do other sensible cyclists) that this was the work of an few idiots. Clearly Pitlochry has benefitted hugely - the place is packed with us!

In fact, whilst it was very annoying, it was not a show stopper for most of us today. It was suspended for an hour and a half while they cleared up the road, then we carried on. The sun was shining, it was a fantastic route and I enjoyed it a great deal.

I'm definitely coming back next year and to hell with the herring-brained nimby minority!
  • aurelio_-_banned
    GavH wrote:
    If you didn't like it, why did you live up there.
    I moved up there to do a PhD, but found the locals to be so hostile - especially to those on mountain bikes- that I left after 6 months. This was shortly after another guy in my department was stabbed and the University put up notices warning English students about the increased danger of being assaulted in the local town centre since the film 'Braveheart' arrived at the local cinema.

I am under no illusion, though, that all the nutters in Scotland are of 'Scottish' descent. In my experience many ex-pat Brits like that former Times guy are as appalling in Scotland as they are right across the rest of the world.
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    aurelio wrote:
    Marzipan wrote:
    I hope they do catch who has done this, but the rumors at the moment from the bikers themselves and the police, that it is possible it was actually a cyclist.
    Yeah, of course it was 'a cyclist'! We mustn't let anyone get the idea that a bunch of local nimby's had anything to do with it, must we? As the following 'advice' from the ACRE organisation notes, for those intending on protesting against the road closures, bicycles would be the ideal means of transport for them to enact their little acts of 'terrorism' as the road closure notice naturally excludes bicycles. Having a bike does not 'a cyclist' make!

Protest Protocol: Advice from ACRE

ACRE, the Highland Perthsire group campaigning against the closure of roads for the Etape cycle race, has been contacted by a number of local people who are considering actively protesting their disapproval of the road closures during the race on 18 May. Although ACRE has no resources to collaborate as a body with such action, it nevertheless offers to peole so minded the following advice.

...You have an absolute right to pass and re-pass along the public highway. A road closure order must specify the class of traffic prohibited. In this case it is vehicular traffic, but cannot include bicycles, or the event could not take place.

See also:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scot ... 406553.stm

Local nimby.

Just came back from the event.

Police are actually questioning based on they think it was a cyclist. I spoke to a guy who was questioned based on the description.

Also a mate was in the early group and the areas affected became more wide spread as time went on hence the suspicion.

HOWEVER...I don't think the motivation is in question, what better way to sabotage than be in the ride. It's local NIMBYs and the action ACRE that's behind all this - even if they have their code of conduction they've ligitamised a course of action that could have killed someone today...I'm furious :x

In closing - as a Perthshire bloke born and bred - I am ashamed of this today and appologise to all of those who made the effort to come out today. Especially those who spent their hard earned cash in the area (one which relies on tourism) at a time where cash is in short supply.
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    aurelio wrote:
    another guy in my department was stabbed

I was stabbed in Bournemouth one night - what exactly is your point? That people only get stabbed in Scotland?
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I had a great day. I was on a really good time (compared to the last two years) and had just reached the top of the climb when they stopped the event.

Like others, I felt embarassed that our fabled hospitality had been let down by one or two sad individuals.

As for questions of nationality, that part of the world has as many incomers as locals. It doesn't make any difference where they or their parents were born; they have simple human responsibilities to be reasonable, courteous and indulge in a little give and take from time to time.

I would like to hear ACRE come out and condemn this action.

I'm listening.

Anyway, meantime I made the most of a good ride and, thanks to my bike computer, have persuaded myself that I beat my PB (even taking account of the bit we didn't get to do).

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• aurelio_-_banned
    edited May 2009
    snowcycle wrote:
    It is a beautiful part of Scotland, hardly any rain, and a great place, especially as we have the Outdoor Access Code, http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/default.asp, to go riding on or off road. You should try the route from Blair Atholl to Rothemurcus to Braemar to Blair Atholl.
    I do know that the off-road access situation in Scotland is different to what it used to be, but when I was there back in 95 riding an MTB was often a fraught affair. Whilst there was no 'right' of access there was no law specifically prohibiting off-road cycling either, so many of the locals seemed to have adopted a policy of deterring cycling by being as unpleasant and aggressive as possible. All around the Stirling / Trossachs area I used to come across threatening 'No bikes' signs and I was physically threatened on a number of occasions.

Around this time there were frequent reports of gamekeepers threatening and even running down people on bikes. I also recall that when a huge part of the Cairngorms were passed over into public ownership the former owner made the transfer conditional on bike being prohibited from ever having access.

Ever since I have made a point of spending my money anywhere other than in Scotland.
  • Marzipan
    To mega cycle - Thank you. I'm just looking through all of this and its quite pathetic to slander Pitlochry in this way. Do you want to know my opinion, it was a crabbit old farmer, who couldnt get his tracker out and decided to be a fanny. ok?

And what you all don't seem to realise, and to be honest, I think your being quite ignorant, is when you shut the roads, you shut ALL the roads. In big cities, its easier, as you've got a back road to drive, or you have a bus or a short walk. Its not like that here. And its busy all the time. Also, some of us don't have the luxury of having a bike. Theres so many tourists here every year, that I walk down the main street some days and don't recognise a single person. Also, some of us don't have the luxury of having a bike.

I think its very unfair that your insulting our nationality in that way, I'm sure you wouldnt like it if it was about yours. So please grow up, realise to was possibly just a silly old man that did this. And the date for the ACRE doesn't match to this years, that was obviously last years plan and is now quite out of date.

Pitlochry and its locals are all very welcoming. We welcome millions of people to our town every year. And its not a big place. Its only small. And its always bursting at the seams. Just think about it before you go around spreading insults.